Distribution of Wealth

hocuspocus

Do not want to get too involved and upset the Thais as I enjoy living here and grown to accept that they are different to Western people but I do not understand them too much. Can someone please let me know something about the Monks. I have asked my Thai wife and as usual I get the runaround. I take it the monks are supposed to dedicate their life to their religion and leave behind their luxuries while in the Monkhood. My wife visits the local temples and takes food and gives cash to the monks, presumably because they can't afford food themselves.I see the local monks walking about without shoes so I guess they can't afford shoes. Then why is it that I have seen monks with iphones and tablets etc, are they a different type of monk and if my wife visited a temple and had to wait for a monk to finnish his conversation on his iPhone before he could accept the money and gifts would she still be so generous. If some of the monks have iPhone money then why can't they donate money to a central fund (regulated by an honest Thai official) and some of the monk wealth can be given to the poor monks so they can but some shoes.I would appreciate your thoughts.

one only has to look a Christianity, specifically the Catholic church and the born again lot to get your answer

organised Religion has nothing to do with faith, its all to do with control, wealth and power over the "peb's"

So true. Like all religions, most practice properly, some do not. Was the OP born yesterday?

It's all a rip-off in the name of religion. If Thai people or any other people wish to support such rip-off's then it's entirely up to them.

Just my opinion of course; but to me all religion is a curse mankind could do without !

"Just my opinion of course; but to me all religion is a curse mankind could do without !"

'Hardly an objective observer then, are you?

• Like 1

There are different kinds of monks in Thailand.

Some monks are permanent monks, that is, they became monks years ago and will remain monks for the rest of their lives.

However, Buddhist men are supposed to spend parts of their lives as temporary monks. As children they will go to a temple for a week or two to learn about Buddhism and do some meditation. They join again when they are 20 or so and are supposed to spend several months as a monk at this time in their lives. After their kids are grown, middle aged men are supposed to take a few months to a year off and try to get away from the materialistic world that they have been immersed in for the past couple of decades. Finally, some men become monks in their old age, basically, going to a Wat to fade away and die.

Buddhists do not have the same sense of 'vocation' that Christian priests do. Rather than a sharp division between the laity and the priesthood, monks are just ordinary men who have put aside their lives for a period of time. The problem is that many men do not really put their lives aside. They put on the robes, but they don't really assume the role of a monk. Also, in modern Thailand many men will become monks for 2 or 3 days rather than for 2 or 3 months. So their monkhood is just for show, they don't do it long enough to mentally leave their old lives behind.

As for shoes, monks are barefoot because they are not supposed to wear shoes, not because they can't afford them. However, some people have tender feet and can't go without.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Some monks are permanent monks, that is, they became monks years ago and will remain monks for the rest of their lives.

However, Buddhist men are supposed to spend parts of their lives as temporary monks. As children they will go to a temple for a week or two to learn about Buddhism and do some meditation. They join again when they are 20 or so and are supposed to spend several months as a monk at this time in their lives. After their kids are grown, middle aged men are supposed to take a few months to a year off and try to get away from the materialistic world that they have been immersed in for the past couple of decades. Finally, some men become monks in their old age, basically, going to a Wat to fade away and die.

Buddhists do not have the same sense of 'vocation' that Christian priests do. Rather than a sharp division between the laity and the priesthood, monks are just ordinary men who have put aside their lives for a period of time. The problem is that many men do not really put their lives aside. They put on the robes, but they don't really assume the role of a monk. Also, in modern Thailand many men will become monks for 2 or 3 days rather than for 2 or 3 months. So their monkhood is just for show, they don't do it long enough to mentally leave their old lives behind.

As for shoes, monks are barefoot because they are not supposed to wear shoes, not because they can't afford them. However, some people have tender feet and can't go without.

Thanks for that very informative answer, it has explained a lot to me and given me a lot to think about but for the moment I will keep my thoughts to myself.

Otherstuff1957 gave a pretty comprehensive, thoughtful and accurate reply. Just a few additional points:

Monks really aren't supposed to handle money (though some do). That means that they are dependent upon the communities which support them. Traditionally the local community will have supplied them with food and other basics so they can carry on their spiritual quest. In return the monks provided various services such as blessings and (less correctly) medical treatments and fortune telling. This dependence of monk upon contributions from the local community has led to a major corruption in the purity of Theravadan Buddhist practice.

As for the sandals, some traditions allow them, others don't. It's not a question of poverty.

Some wealthy supporters will give generous gifts to monks and to temples - iPhones, Rolex, Ferrari, and more. The donors believe this will give them spiritual benefits when they are reborn. It's not (generally speaking - but there are some corrupt monks) the purchase of the monk concerned.

There is a serious problem with the lack of transparency of Temple accounts, and there may be a significant amount of corruption too. There have been repeated calls to address this problem.

• Like 1

In my small community in Bangkok, you can always tell when the ne'er do wells have committed a misdemeanor, brother in law included, as they spend a few weeks in the monkhood. Just like a Roman Catholic confession, all taints removed.

By the way I am Buddhist, but not Thai.Buying my way to Nirvana is not an option. Yes it is very expensive for a few weeks vacation in yellowish robes.No I am not naive!

There's a monk who's maybe 35 ish near my wife's place, and he does tattooing.

Basically his hut is a tattoo studio, but there's always guys there getting work done from him. He would be earning half decent money I'd guarantee that.

Do not want to get too involved and upset the Thais as I enjoy living here and grown to accept that they are different to Western people but I do not understand them too much. Can someone please let me know something about the Monks. I have asked my Thai wife and as usual I get the runaround. I take it the monks are supposed to dedicate their life to their religion and leave behind their luxuries while in the Monkhood. My wife visits the local temples and takes food and gives cash to the monks, presumably because they can't afford food themselves.I see the local monks walking about without shoes so I guess they can't afford shoes. Then why is it that I have seen monks with iphones and tablets etc, are they a different type of monk and if my wife visited a temple and had to wait for a monk to finnish his conversation on his iPhone before he could accept the money and gifts would she still be so generous. If some of the monks have iPhone money then why can't they donate money to a central fund (regulated by an honest Thai official) and some of the monk wealth can be given to the poor monks so they can but some shoes.I would appreciate your thoughts.

I seen leaked photo from back room temple. If i find it I will post it.

There were monks counting mountians of money. Dont be dupped......

Many years ago I stopped travelling upcountry (holiday?) with my extended Thai family. It was always the same, visit after visit to yet another auspicious wat and parting with lots of baht. No spiritual dimension whatever.

Some may ask if I am so cynical, why am I still a Buddhist.

I was a Buddhist before I came to Thailand, the reason for my first visit, a spiritual journey.

A wat is not necessary for meditation or contemplation. However great art alway has a spiritual dimension and some things of outstanding beauty can be seen in all religious buildings; from the simple Seeker chapel, grandiose Gothic cathedral, Muslim Mosque, Buddhist temple or indeed secular monuments to man's search for enlightenment.

I do not count a looted Laos statue amongst my revered artefacts.

Venice is a treasure trove of great renaisance art and certainly see Venice and die. The same is true of the truly magnificent in Thailand; for Bangkok, Wat Pho is special for me.

It is our own journey, this life and we all follow different paths. For some though a deeper realisation is not what is sought, same for all spiritual endeavours.

It's all a rip-off in the name of religion. If Thai people or any other people wish to support such rip-off's then it's entirely up to them.

Just my opinion of course; but to me all religion is a curse mankind could do without !

Really?

curse |kərs|

a solemn utterance intended to invoke a supernatural power to inflict harm or punishment on someone or something

• Like 2

You saved me writing that. OP needs to do some research on monks in Thailand. Even the King had to do his time as a monk.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You saved me writing that. OP needs to do some research on monks in Thailand. Even the King had to do his time as a monk.

That's just what I am doing on TV and admittedly with a lot of good replies I am a lot more knowledgeable now than I was a few days ago.

Really?

curse |kərs|

a solemn utterance intended to invoke a supernatural power to inflict harm or punishment on someone or something

Full Definition of CURSE
1: a prayer or invocation for harm or injury to come upon one : imprecation
2: something that is cursed or accursed
3: evil or misfortune that comes as if in response to imprecation or as retribution
4: a cause of great harm or misfortune : torment
5: menstruation —used with the

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/curse

in my wifes's little suburb/village we have the main temple where the monks eat twice a day, some smoke, temple mor lam, money seems to flow into the place.

there is also a 'forrest' temple, the one monk, eats once a day, no morlam but his helpers lock the gate at dusk, he seems to follow precepts,according to the old locals.

mind you, the same temple, had monks seeing women after dark, one selling a old sandalwood tree to a city herbalist, in its darker times.

rich monk,true monk, it is a thing i struggle with

All religions are in essence selfish, a spiritual quest for whatever. Buddhism is slightly different as it has no divine creator and the end is selflessness. The means to that end can be incredibly selfish. Buddha left his wife, family everything in his search for enlightenment.

I was raised in a Christian culture, in fact went to a Church school .Christianity teaches altruism, yes a means for personal salvation, but you get Brownie points for being unselfish, even if your true motives are selfish, salvation.

Altruism is not a Thai trait. Making merit is wholly selfish ,as are the monks seeking a shortcut to Nirvana.

I always feel this most when driving. Much has been written about Thai drivers, and selfishness, not intentional, a cultural mishap of Buddhism is apparent. Compare to most Western countries; yes there is road rage, but consider the cause. When other drivers act selfishly, without consideration for others, we get angry. I am constantly angry when driving in Thailand. Common to us, courtesy, altruism, does not exist.

Then look at other aspects of the culture, Asian culture and much the same is true. Smile is defensive, not altruistic. Westerners tend not to smile as much , but act out their inculcated behaviour through what they have been taught as common courtesy.

Perhaps I am lucky to be of both worlds, an altruistic Buddhist. Can there be such a thing? I don't know, that is my quest.

• Like 1

All religions are in essence selfish, a spiritual quest for whatever. Buddhism is slightly different as it has no divine creator and the end is selflessness. The means to that end can be incredibly selfish. Buddha left his wife, family everything in his search for enlightenment.

I was raised in a Christian culture, in fact went to a Church school .Christianity teaches altruism, yes a means for personal salvation, but you get Brownie points for being unselfish, even if your true motives are selfish, salvation.

Altruism is not a Thai trait. Making merit is wholly selfish ,as are the monks seeking a shortcut to Nirvana.

I always feel this most when driving. Much has been written about Thai drivers, and selfishness, not intentional, a cultural mishap of Buddhism is apparent. Compare to most Western countries; yes there is road rage, but consider the cause. When other drivers act selfishly, without consideration for others, we get angry. I am constantly angry when driving in Thailand. Common to us, courtesy, altruism, does not exist.

Then look at other aspects of the culture, Asian culture and much the same is true. Smile is defensive, not altruistic. Westerners tend not to smile as much , but act out their inculcated behaviour through what they have been taught as common courtesy.

Perhaps I am lucky to be of both worlds, an altruistic Buddhist. Can there be such a thing? I don't know, that is my quest.

Well. You can look at it the other way. Your spiritual path is what it is. You can do things to make it "worse" (i.e., involve more suffering, extend into more rebirths), those things are simply to be avoided, and those things are, generally speaking, "selfish" things... The same with Christianity (for example). Salvation is assured, as long as you don't do selfish things to "mess it up". So, not so much a matter of chasing a spiritual goal, as of not going out of your way to queer the process already in place. And the things which disturb the process just happen to be things that cause suffering for other people.

Theosophy has an interesting take on religion(s) I think.

• Like 1

"Faith without works is dead."

One could argue that everything everyone does is for selfish reasons.

Personally, I like being around people hoping to get to heaven, selfish or otherwise.

....as long as they're not hellbent (hmmm - probably not just exactly the right word tongue.png ) on getting everyone ELSE to heaven as well...

Take a comparable look at some the Christian evangelical leaders of South USA... Millionaires from donations from their sheep followers. Amassing wealth under the guise of serving God. Too many monks the same, talk a good game but don't do the walk. No oversight of evangelism and similarly no oversight of Thai monkhood.

In my opinion all religions are man made, by powers to be, to control populations. Even bie apears to be fake, as they recently found one 1500 y old in turkey that says Jesus didnt died on cross and that..... http://guardianlv.com/2014/05/1500-year-old-bible-claims-jesus-was-never-crucified/

Real or not dunno

I rather believe in ancient Sumarians

And the real gods

Enlil, Enki, and Ninhursag.