Where's the so-called saving on pickups made in Thailand?

giddyup

A friend in Australia tells me that the MitsuTriton auto is selling for A$29900, I paid A$29,000 here for mine two months ago, and that was the same run-out model. Also the Aussie model comes with a heap of extras and safety features as standard equipment that the Thai model doesn't have. For crying out loud, they only give the driver an airbag on mine! Here's what the Aussie model gives you. BTW, the Aussie price is for the 4X4, not the 2 wheel drive like mine. I think pickup buyers are getting shafted big time here.

post-130068-0-53007200-1425727543_thumb.

post-130068-0-13629300-1425727581_thumb.

Edited by giddyup

True.. But as Thais don't look outside Thailand the manufacturer's will continue to overprice vehicles. Also I believe that vehicle taxation is higher here!

Absolutely. Aussies pay 5% import duty, then 10% GST.

Thai pays 12% excise tax + interior tax + VAT.

@OP, if it's any consolation, before the runout sale, Aussies were paying closer to $40K for the car, also the runout price will be for MT not AT, won't include alloy wheels, and you'll pay extra for some of the paint colors.

• Like 1

True.. But as Thais don't look outside Thailand the manufacturer's will continue to overprice vehicles. Also I believe that vehicle taxation is higher here!

I thought that's why pickups were so popular, because there is little or no tax?

@OP, if it's any consolation, before the runout sale, Aussies were paying closer to $40K for the car, also the runout price will be for MT not AT, won't include alloy wheels, and you'll pay extra for some of the paint colors.

Have a look at the Aussie specs, 16" Alloys, 6 airbags, 5 year warranty, etc, etc. According to my mate, that price is for the auto., and it's a 4X4, so we get screwed here, royally. Mine is the runout model and I managed to get 100,000 baht off, which I thought was pretty good.

I thought that's why pickups were so popular, because there is little or no tax?

2-door pickups have approx 3.3% total aggregate taxes.

4-door pickups have approx 14.8% total aggregate taxes.

But it actually works out higher overall, as the final tax (VAT) is applied after dealer profit has been added to the price - and that's a variable you can't generalize.

Oh and, Aussies only pay GST on Thai made cars - no import duty under TAFTA (doh)

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

Have a look at the Aussie specs, 16" Alloys, 6 airbags, 5 year warranty, etc, etc. According to my mate, that price is for the auto., and it's a 4X4, so we get screwed here, royally. Mine is the runout model and I managed to get 100,000 baht off, which I thought was pretty good.

I think I mentioned when you were buying you should have been able to get 120K off ;)

I think I mentioned when you were buying you should have been able to get 120K off wink.png

I did.

Things aren't priced on what it costs to manufacture but what the market will pay. You paid A$29,900 so I think they have it figured out right.

Don't talk rubbish.

He is right, the market sets the prices.

Any international price comparison is useless, Or the whole of Europe would have to feel shafted compared to US prices.

• Like 2

Things aren't priced on what it costs to manufacture but what the market will pay. You paid A$29,900 so I think they have it figured out right.

Don't talk rubbish.

How is that Rubbish, Do you honestly believe businesses manufacture things and then just add a set percentage on top as profit? Regardless of supply and demand and competitors.

So, the average Thai on probably less than $7,000 a year has to pay the same as the one sold in Australia, but to an Australian whose salaries are probably $70,000 plus a year on average.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

retail prices are far less flexible in Thailand - there is no legislation to protect customers or prevent CARTELs - surely you've noticed that around the shops too?

PS - is that the 4x4?

does the price include GST?

Edited by cumgranosalum

Same with my new car. Same as the Aussie model, except it had only one airbag, and on those cooler, rainy nights, a bit of heating would have gone well, but none at all.

Same with my new car. Same as the Aussie model, except it had only one airbag, and on those cooler, rainy nights, a bit of heating would have gone well, but none at all.

oes the Aussie price? In UK commercial vehicles are priced ex-VAT as VAT registered companies get the VAT back.

As I said you will never find huge discounts on anything in Thailand.

BTW - Have you seen the "new" Mitsu? It's <deleted> horrible - looks like someone got into the styling dept overnight with a hammer and a plank and they thought that was OK.

PPS - the Oz version may even have the better 4x4 system on it and a heater.

• Like 1

retail prices are far less flexible in Thailand - there is no legislation to protect customers or prevent CARTELs - surely you've noticed that around the shops too?

PS - is that the 4x4?

Yes and yes.

PS - is that the 4x4?

Yes and yes.

there were 3 questions...

Don't talk rubbish.

How is that Rubbish, Do you honestly believe businesses manufacture things and then just add a set percentage on top as profit? Regardless of supply and demand and competitors.

So, the average Thai on probably less than $7,000 a year has to pay the same as the one sold in Australia, but to an Australian whose salaries are probably $70,000 plus a year on average.

No, the average Thai buys a motorbike.

The cost in Australia is just under half the yearly salary,do you believe they should price the pickup at 2,999 dollars here in Thailand for the average Tha?

• Like 2

Sorry to change the subject somewhat.But it baffles me how vehicles are so much more expensive than some other places in the world and the

Average salary is so much smaller.They must have 10 year car payments to be able to purchase it.

PS - is that the 4x4?

Yes and yes.

there were 3 questions...

yes

Benje

No, the average Thai buys a motorbike.

The cost in Australia is just under half the yearly salary,do you believe they should price the pickup at 2,999 dollars here in Thailand for the average Tha?

Who's driving the hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of cars and pickups on Thai roads if they aren't average Thais?

No, I don't expect a pickup to sell for $2,999 here, but it would be nice to get the same level of equipment the buyer in Australia gets for the same price. Instead what Thailand gets is the "poverty pack" in equipment levels, probably the same in nearly all vehicles manufactured here. I think Thai buyers get short-changed.

• Like 2

Here in Thailand when you factor in the manufacturing costs, the factory profit margin, the dealer profit margin and taxes it's a lot of money for something that is pretty basic in 4 wheel transport.

But back in Oz I went shopping for delivery vans and it's absolutely absurd the prices they want for windowless vans! What the he11 am I paying for, the air in the cargo compartment?

• Like 1

Australia is probably trying to clear out the old Triton. How much is the MY 15 model?

A Google search would probably tell you, or was it a rhetorical question?

Edited by giddyup

So things have not changed in 50 years.........

As a youngster was always upset that cars like Rover and Triumph, could be exported and sold a lot cheaper than in the UK + the export models were of a much high spec than the top model in the UK

• Like 1