TAT promotes world's first elephant ride alms giving in Surin

webfact

TAT promotes world's first elephant ride alms giving in Surin

SURIN, 9 March 2015 (NNT)-The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is inviting everyone to witness a spectacular elephant parade, to be held in Surin province on March 13.

According to TAT Surin Office Director Chukiat Pothitoh, the elephant parade will take to the street this Friday in honor of His Majesty the King and Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn.

The parade will consist of 4 different groups representing the national and religious institutions as well as the Thai monarch and Her Royal Highness Princess.

Visitors will have chance to participate in the World’s first alms offering on elephant back to 60 monks at 07.00 am. the following day.This year’s event will take place at Phaya Surin Phakdi Si Narong Changwang monument from March 13th -14th. For more information please call TAT Surin Office at 044-514-447-8

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-03-09 footer_n.gif

I just hope, one day, people will leave those beautiful wild animals to live in peace in their own habitat.

I know.....this is just wishful thinking....as peoples greed for money or other purposes, deprives these animals of having a natural life.

But a movement to the right direction, has already started in some countries and people minds........hope it continues in the future.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/07/opinion/why-not-retire-the-circus-elephants-now.html?_r=0

I just hope, one day, people will leave those beautiful wild animals to live in peace in their own habitat.

I know.....this is just wishful thinking....as peoples greed for money or other purposes, deprives these animals of having a natural life.

But a movement to the right direction, has already started in some countries and people minds........hope it continues in the future.

You're damn right, Costas. There's a traffic sign in Sisaket that elephants are not allowed to enter from a particular time to another at "Tanonn

Kundae. ( Sunday market road)

Then the begging "Mahuts" , holding you a tiny bag of corn, or similar under your nose to buy food for them. I do remember that they're trying to bring plenty of elephants back to their natural environment somewhere in the north.

But neither the elephants, nor these guys could adopt to life in the jungle anymore. And once you've seen how they "train them" to draw some stuff, or doing other things to make money, then you'd like to freak out.

My solution is to not give them any money, because that only creates more of them, trying to use these nice creatures.

No wonder why some elephants kill people, happened in Surin not too long ago. And elsewhere.

When I see elephants walking on asphalt on a main road for many hours, with the freak on top, I feel very sorry for them.

Let's hope that they wake up and stop abusing endangered animals. .

P.S. Just saw after posting that somebody with the username "facebook" was reading this topic. Would be worth to sample photos and create a webpage on facebook, to save them.

If anybody has photos of mistreated elephants in Thailand, please send them to me ,via message.

Will have my camera in my car from now on and shoot as many photos as possible to try to find people who help to stop that.

New in Sisaket is that they use elephant babies when begging. And we all know what these guys do with the money. Time to stop them, but the government should make new laws and really enforce them.

Wasn't it a topic that they want to spend billions of baht for Thai farmers? But I assume these were empty Army General words, as usual. Similar to the lottery price that went down to 90 and 100 baht, only for two months and is back to "normal" NOW.

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You're damn right, Costas. There's a traffic sign in Sisaket that elephants are not allowed to enter from a particular time to another at "Tanonn

Then the begging "Mahuts" , holding you a tiny bag of corn, or similar under your nose to buy food for them. I do remember that they're trying to bring plenty of elephants back to their natural environment somewhere in the north.

But neither the elephants, nor these guys could adopt to life in the jungle anymore. And once you've seen how they "train them" to draw some stuff, or doing other things to make money, then you'd like to freak out.

My solution is to not give them any money, because that only creates more of them, trying to use these nice creatures.

No wonder why some elephants kill people, happened in Surin not too long ago. And elsewhere.

When I see elephants walking on asphalt on a main road for many hours, with the freak on top, I feel very sorry for them.

P.S. Just saw after posting that somebody with the username "facebook" was reading this topic. Would be worth to sample photos and create a webpage on facebook, to save them.

If anybody has photos of mistreated elephants in Thailand, please send them to me ,via message.

Will have my camera in my car from now on and shoot as many photos as possible to try to find people who help to stop that.

New in Sisaket is that they use elephant babies when begging. And we all know what these guys do with the money. Time to stop them, but the government should make new laws and really enforce them.

Wasn't it a topic that they want to spend billions of baht for Thai farmers? But I assume these were empty Army General words, as usual. Similar to the lottery price that went down to 90 and 100 baht, only for two months and is back to "normal" NOW.

As I can feel your passion for the elephants...maybe try doing some factual research.....(in red)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

TAT continues to promote the abuse of elephants

How on earth have you derived TAT is promoting elephant abuse?

Mind Boggling.....

Elephants are not domesticated animals. To get them to paint, play ball, or let you ride on them, they have to endure the Pajaan, the breaking process. It's extremely cruel and leaves lasting physical and mental scars on the magnificent animals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_crushing

The training crush

As reported in the UN Report Gone Astray, in India, Myanmar and Thailand the 'kraal' or ‘training crush’ method involves an elephant being placed in a strong, large stall or cage and tied with ropes to keep the elephant from moving, including being unable to kick, raise or swing its head. This method is supposed to crush the elephant's spirit. Proponents argue that this allows the elephant to properly and safely learn the basic command “Still!” or “Quiet!”, and enable it to adapt to its new environment.

National Geographic reports on the use of nails and sticks stabbed into the ears and feet of an elephant the subject of a crush in Thailand. Other reports cite the use of beatings with sticks, chains or bullhooks, sleep-deprivation, hunger, and thirst to "break" the elephant and make them submissive to their owners. It is not clear whether all training crushes involve the use of corporal punishment.

Quoted in Gone Astray, a 1967 report on a training crush notes, 'An elephant born in captivity is brought up amongst human beings and its training is humane from the day it begins; but a wild beast parted from the herd and its mother must suffer agonies before its will is broken.'

Skip to 2:40 and watch the abuse recorded on video. Plenty of others like this are on the internet. As mentioned in many articles, most babies are taken from the wild and many times the parents are killed as they are overly protective.

Some more info on this horrible practice:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/397145/Elephants-never-forget-the-extreme-brutality-of-their-handler-s-teaching-methods

Very good article:

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsandnature/what-you-need-to-know-about-elephant-trekking/

after you see the youtube video ... indeed, you go support the torture sponsored by TAT

I showed a video like this to my wife a few years ago. Her reply was she saw that as a child in her village, same procedure. Incredibly cruel.

TAT continues to promote the abuse of elephants

How on earth have you derived TAT is promoting elephant abuse?

Mind Boggling.....

TAT is promoting this "ride"? then they are promoting the abuse of elephants.

As I can feel your passion for the elephants...maybe try doing some factual research.....(in red)

I did my "research" in my thirteen years living here. Did you do yours, before criticizing and accusing me?

I did my "research" in my thirteen years living here. Did you do yours, before criticizing and accusing me?

one judges your knowledge of elephants and the problems surrounding them by your statements - not by the number of years you've clocked up in Thailand

I might also add the fact that you appear to think these issues to do with elephants are restricted to Thailand further adds to the impression that you have little grasp of the subject as a whole.

Edited by cumgranosalum