Why it's best not to stop at a Beach Rd pedestrian light!

Wasa

We have a similar situation to Pattaya's Beach Rd in Surfer's Paradise and the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia. Where you have a resident population of 350,000+ and another 100,000+ at any one time tourists, all separated from very popular golden beaches by a very long asphalt esplanade running parallel to the beaches and first laid down back in the late 1800s.

Here the local council has worked very hard over the years to separate pedestrians and vehicular traffic, through installing various measures such as 40 & 50km/hour speed limits, tight roundabouts, ripple bars, slaloms, varied pavement surfaces, safety barriers in the form of architectural type road furniture and red light pedestrian crossings which are enforced with cameras and obeyed.

Another thing they did was to enhance traffic flow on an inland highway (just 500m or so in from the esplanade) and also built an expressway type ring road further inland again. Both of these encouraged traffic flow away from the esplanade.

Someone suggested earlier making 2nd road two way. Probably not a bad idea. Install numerous terminals along the way for on/offloading baht bus passengers with a major terminal at the southern end to service walking street foot traffic.

That place looks beautiful. I have said here that 2nd road should be two way cutting off all traffic from beach road except early morning delivery vehicles. Personally don't like the idea of baht buses doing the beach road taxi run. I'd prefer some eco friendly transport. Electric or NGV not some smelly diesel converted truck that you bang your head going in and out. That you can twist or break your ankle on the step.

Those eco friendly vehicles would run both ways. Could just start from central to south and see how it gets on adding north to central later.

Wouldn't need crossings on beach road but on second road. Put cameras on them to catch offenders.

Just so people who don't know Pattaya very well it is a five minute walk from beach road to 2nd road. There are many sois joining them.

Thank you

Another reason why pedestrian overpasses are the only solution for a safe crossing the way these people drive.

Pedestrian overpasses are no solution at all for people whose knees are a bit wonky.

The solution for safe pedestrian crossing is to fine bad drivers. In fact fining bad drivers would be the best solution to most road-related problems in Thailand.

The only way these crazy,lawless Thai drivers will stop is when,as the light turns from green to amber, large steel posts rise up on both sides of the walkway and, when they are fully raised,the light turns red. Then the the pedestrians will be able to safely cross the street. coffee1.gifclap2.gif

I must be living in a parallel universe. I always stop at red lights (including the pedestrian crossings in Pattaya) and when I'm walking I use them (when they're operational) to cross the road, and cars stop to allow me to do so. Admittedly, I do give them a stare and hold my hand up, but they stop!

Another reason why pedestrian overpasses are the only solution for a safe crossing the way these people drive.

Pedestrian overpasses are no solution at all for people whose knees are a bit wonky.

The solution for safe pedestrian crossing is to fine bad drivers. In fact fining bad drivers would be the best solution to most road-related problems in Thailand.

The only way these crazy,lawless Thai drivers will stop is when,as the light turns from green to amber, large steel posts rise up on both sides of the walkway and, when they are fully raised,the light turns red. Then the the pedestrians will be able to safely cross the street. coffee1.gifclap2.gif

Up threpasit road outside the kea market and the other side of the road you can see something similar. A Thai guy runs out into the road dragging an expandable gate till he reaches the road center. Lots of Russians then move off the pavement crossing the road on the vehicle less side of the barrier. When they get to the center the barrier is returned to the kerb. The down traffic lanes are very slow moving so it doesn't take long for a policeman to stop the traffic and let the Russians cross safely to the other side.

It is a masterpiece. Well orchestrated and certainly puts a smile on the Russian faces. Well done who ever came up with it.

I must be living in a parallel universe. I always stop at red lights (including the pedestrian crossings in Pattaya) and when I'm walking I use them (when they're operational) to cross the road, and cars stop to allow me to do so. Admittedly, I do give them a stare and hold my hand up, but they stop!

Well done sir a man like me. The reason they stop is because they know they should and you are forcing the issue. I do the same. They will never hit you as to do so would be a serious offence.

And pardon me for asking but have you ever been rear ended while stopping for a red light? Have you ever seen a rear end collision when your crossing the road at a crossing?

Hope we met one day while crossing beach road.

Since (as you must know from reading TV) all residents and visitors to Pattaya are "Maffia gangsters", "low life drunken, broken down expats, their molls and their ilk", "insane temple fooing Chinese" or "black named" Frenchmen, by stopping at the red light you clearly broke the "stop at nothing" Pattaya road code.

You are a dangerous aberration to driving in Thailand and need eliminating from the road system immediately, kindly report to Pattaya pier for the "one stop" tour.

Since (as you must know from reading TV) all residents and visitors to Pattaya are "Maffia gangsters", "low life drunken, broken down expats, their molls and their ilk", "insane temple fooing Chinese" or "black named" Frenchmen, by stopping at the red light you clearly broke the "stop at nothing" Pattaya road code.

You are a dangerous aberration to driving in Thailand and need eliminating from the road system immediately, kindly report to Pattaya pier for the "one stop" tour.

You been talking to @JungleJim?
  • Like 1

Here once again is a great form of revenue for the city, 5,000 baht fine for running a red light. The amount of money that can be brought in by just enforcing the laws is huge. They could pay the cops so much better with this easy cash.

I see what you're getting and agree except for the amount. 5000 is a bit harsh for 1st offence considering GDP. I'd make it 1000 first offence doubling it on each subsequent offence making that clear to the driver when he pays the fine. So much technology today that would be easy to implement. If fines not paid within 10 days they become payable at time of renewal registration at double the ticket value with a months impound of the vehicle at owners cost. Cameras should be installed at red lights to monitor offenders.

I think it is slightly unfair to criticise the OP for not 'being aware of the traffic around him'. In fact it's a slightly smug remark.

It is surprising that the OP has never encountered red pedestrian lights on Beach Road as I've encountered them too many times to count (since they were installed several years ago) and have stopped many times without incident. They don't suddenly turn red as was mentioned above - there's an amber warning. It is definitely a good idea to always check to see what is behind you when you stop.

• Like 1

I think it is slightly unfair to criticise the OP for not 'being aware of the traffic around him'. In fact it's a slightly smug remark.

It is surprising that the OP has never encountered red pedestrian lights on Beach Road as I've encountered them too many times to count (since they were installed several years ago) and have stopped many times without incident. They don't suddenly turn red as was mentioned above - there's an amber warning. It is definitely a good idea to always check to see what is behind you when you stop.

Thank you. Still no evidence of rear end accidents. It's all a myth and excuse to ignore them.

• Like 1

Soon after the light were installed, City Hall stopped using them due to all the accidents.

Now they seem to be using the lights sometimes.

Most people ignore the lights I noticed and that makes it dangerous to stop.

Several times I did stop but the scofflaws were swerving around me and the pedestrians.

Stop at your own risk. This is Thailand.

Soon after the light were installed, City Hall stopped using them due to all the accidents.

Several times I did stop but the scofflaws were swerving around me and the pedestrians.

"All the accidents." That has been said before and nobody has been able to substantiate it. And not one user here has been in a rear end accident at a red light. But a few users who always stop on the red have never been rear ended. Close maybe but never. I maintain that crossing through the red is done just because it can be and avoidance of an accident is just an excuse dreamed to try and justify it.

"Swerving around the pedestrians" that is exactly why everybody should stop. Carry on like it is and one day somebody won't be able to swerve enough and will kill a pedestrian.

Edited by Keesters

You been talking to @JungleJim?

It's those drums, those damn drums, they never stop..............and when they do!!!!!!!!

"All the accidents." That has been said before and nobody has been able to substantiate it. And not one user here has been in a rear end accident at a red light. But a few users who always stop on the red have never been rear ended. Close maybe but never. I maintain that crossing through the red is done just because it can be and avoidance of an accident is just an excuse dreamed to try and justify it.

"Swerving around the pedestrians" that is exactly why everybody should stop. Carry on like it is and one day somebody won't be able to swerve enough and will kill a pedestrian.

It would be nice if people stop at the lights but they don't.

I'm not going to stop with all those speeding buses and mini vans barreling thru.

That would be stupid to be sitting there at a red light on a high speed highway, with all these morons swerving around me.

Pedestrians should be on red alert.

My hero i would have done the same as you,because i was taught the highway code which as we all know doesn't apply within thailad,but applause to you my man.

Yes, but your hero, jumped the red light at the end.

So, not a hero of mine and my advice to him is to be more aware of what is happening around him, when driving, and not suddenly come to awkward situations.

Yeah right uncle Costas especially in Thailands traffic where awkward situations never appears suddenly...

I'm not going to stop with all those speeding buses and mini vans barreling thru.

That would be stupid to be sitting there at a red light on a high speed highway, with all these morons swerving around me.

Excuses, excuses, excuses. Pedestrians should be on red alert that you will break the law and one day probably kill one.

Typical selfish vehicle driver worshipping the gods motor bike and motor car. I'm the bigger so you poor people on foot better get out my way.

No evidence of rear end crashes but never mind we'll go on breaking the law anyway.

You passed the exam on Thainess. Your Thai passport and ID is in the post. Please relinquish your farang passport and ID at your nearest police station. Swadee krap.

Edited by Keesters

pedestrians should always be on red alert when crossing the road

Its a bloody road man not the pavement !!!!!

Your comments about Thainess.

Sounds like Thai bashing to me.

Not nice man take a chill pill.

Edited by onemorechang

Thank you. Still no evidence of rear end accidents. It's all a myth and excuse to ignore them.

Keesters, I respect your views, but your unrelenting preaching and singular line of reasoning on this subject is starting to become tiresome.......you can see by the posts that many members here share an opposing opinion to yours. This opinion, formed either through their own firsthand experience or actual observation, is that it can, in times of fast flowing or dense traffic, sometimes be a dangerous action to brake hard and/or stop at a red pedestrian light on Beach Rd. They can't all be wrong and maybe you should just accept that there is more than one way to view this matter.

This evening my girlfriend and I, in my latest fitness fad, walked from my condo in Naklua down to the Royal Gardens Plaza. Along the way we came to the pedestrian lights out the front of the Holiday Inn. Deciding this was a perfect opportunity for some firsthand observation on my own, I said to my girlfriend I just want to wait here for the lights to go red.

So we waited and sure enough, after what seemed ages but was probably only a few minutes, the lights went red. A tourist darted across the road weaving between the first waves of cars. You could see a little reduction in speed from some, but not one car stopped. The baht buses did not stop. It was as though the red light was not even there. Finally right at the end of the red light cycle a little brown car slowed down to almost a standstill, however the traffic behind it simply peeled off and went around him (or her) That just caused him (or her) to gently accelerate away through the red light in imitation of the others.

Finally, on my way home the other day up 2nd Rd, I came alongside a policeman on his motorbike holding a mobile phone in his left hand feverishly tapping out a text message with his thumb. I was alongside him for about 500m while he was doing this. If that is what the general Thai motoring public has as their role model, well you can see why their driving is as poor as it is. If a cop did that in Australia he would be stood down or summarily dismissed.

Excuses, excuses, excuses. Pedestrians should be on red alert that you will break the law and one day probably kill one.

Typical selfish vehicle driver worshipping the gods motor bike and motor car. I'm the bigger so you poor people on foot better get out my way.

No evidence of rear end crashes but never mind we'll go on breaking the law anyway.

You passed the exam on Thainess. Your Thai passport and ID is in the post. Please relinquish your farang passport and ID at your nearest police station. Swadee krap.

The day the new light were installed, the accidents began...thats why they were switched off.

Pedestrians in Thailand need to look 6 ways crossing a one way street.

The red lights might look nice on beach road but obviously they mean nothing.

Cross at your own risk cause I'm coming thru!! and so is everybody else....

And still not one piece of evidence to show that there would be an accident if the cars stopped at the lights.

All these people carrying on saying the same thing in justification why they should break the law and jump red lights. Ridiculous. If you want me to stop then come up with the proof about accidents. Until then it is all conjecture on your part and that is boring the pants off me.

And if you do come up with the accidents, which I doubt, does that make it all go away. No. Because the drivers will still be at fault for being to close. Why should it be "that's the way it is, except it". Should we not be striving to improve society or do you all want to live in the dark ages.

Edited by Keesters

And still not one piece of evidence to show that there would be an accident if the cars stopped at the lights.

All these people carrying saying the same thing in justification why they should break the law and jump red lights. Ridiculous. If you want me to stop then come up with the proof about accidents. Until then it is all conjecture on your part and that is boring the pants off me.

Evidence? What do you want me to do? Bring you a mangled rear bumper?

The lights were shut off soon after they were installed because (fill in the blank)

All these people carrying saying the same thing in justification why they should break the law and jump red lights. Ridiculous. If you want me to stop then come up with the proof about accidents. Until then it is all conjecture on your part and that is boring the pants off me.

The lights were shut off soon after they were installed because (fill in the blank)

Yes. Better that than a dead pedestrian.

And if your right about them being turned off why is it every day I'm find more and more of them working. Working but still being ignored by all the idiot drivers, farang as well as Thai out there.

Edited by Keesters

And if your right about them being turned off why is it every day I'm find more and more of them working. Working but still being ignored by all the idiot drivers, farang as well as Thai out there.

They were shut off soon after the installation because of all the accidents. Recently some idiot has turned them on... sometimes....

They were shut off soon after the installation because of all the accidents. Recently some idiot has turned them on... sometimes....

Here we go again "because of all the accidents" what accidents, where, I've seen none, other have sent none, please stop spreading this myth.

It wasn't an idiot that turned them on, it was a person concerned with the safety of pedestrians. It was a vehicle worshipping idiot that turned them off.

Here we go again "because of all the accidents" what accidents, where, I've seen none, other have sent none, please stop spreading this myth.

It wasn't an idiot that turned them on, it was a person concerned with the safety of pedestrians. It was a vehicle worshipping idiot that turned them off.

The idiot that turns them on (sometimes) doesn't realise the police don't enforce the law and he is creating a dangerous situation?

Less accidents happened before the light were installed.

So you didn't see the numerous accidents so they don't happen?

I had my spleen removed but you weren't there. Doesn't mean it didn't happen.

The idiot that turns them on (sometimes) doesn't realise the police don't enforce the law and he is creating a dangerous situation?

Less accidents happened before the light were installed.

So you didn't see the numerous accidents so they don't happen?

I had my spleen removed but you weren't there. Doesn't mean it didn't happen.

And because you say, the accidents, did happen I'm supposed to believe they did. No not without some evidence. The right to have the lights on outweighs whatever argument you can come up with to have then off.

OK Keester. I will humour you. No accidents on Beach Rd. at the red lights.....never happens. They switched off the lights just for something to do.....

Humoring you too.....

Could be. Who knows, because there is NO EVIDENCE to say otherwise.

And it polite to place a @ before a users name so he gets notification that somebody is talking about him and not doing it behind his back.

Edited by Keesters

It's no good banging on at each other. There is an element of truth in both viewpoints.

As I said in a previous post the City Hall, some time ago, announced the scheme had been a failure and would be discontinued.

The reasoning was that the 'monitoring' had shown there was much confusion and inconsistency for both vehicle drivers and pedestrians. This made the situation more dangerous and could/would/may lead to major accidents. It was clear that pedestrian lights were alien to many Thai drivers on Beach Road or anywhere else. They are simply not used to them as many westerner's are, and that is a statement of fact, not a dig at Thai drivers. A baht bus driver is more likely to have his eye on the pavement area looking for passengers rather than whether the lights are turning red.

It was therefore agreed they should be discontinued, but not dug up of course.

Now they are back on and I have no idea why. It may simply be that someone in City Hall, or the military/police has decided that they should be re-instated as part of the new regime's clean up of Beach Road.

I would like to see the scheme being successful, but that would require a police presence at each set of lights for days, if not weeks, dishing out tickets until the idea of stopping was ingrained into the heads of speeding drivers. That is unlikely to happen.