Pattaya City to relax beach bed rules

Thaivisa News

Pattaya, Chon Buri:- The Pattaya City has agreed to relax the beach bed rules to allow tourists with illness and disability and tourists with too large body to be comfort in canvas beds to use beach beds.

The agreement was reached during a meeting held Wednesday afternoon at the Pattaya City Hall. Deputy Pattaya Mayor Ronnakit Ekkasit chaired the meeting of the committee in charge of putting the Pattaya beach into order.

Attending the meeting were representatives from Pattaya police station, Pattaya City officials, Army officers from the 14th Army Circle, and Bang Lamung district officials.

Among urgent topics, the meeting discussed foreign tourists’ complaints that they felt uncomfortable to use canvas beds that are now allowed by operators to rent to tourists. The farang tourists want to use beach beds like those available at luxury hotels instead.

Following the discussion, the meeting agreed to allow beach umbrella and bed operators to rent beach beds on case-by-case basis. The beach beds must be rented to tourists with illness or disability or who are too large to be comfort with canvas beds.

The beach beds must be placed only in the spaces provided to the operators and the beds must be put away after the tourists have left.

The relaxing of the rules was proposed by Sinchai Wattanasathorn, the chairman of the Pattaya Tourism Business Association.

The meeting agreed to discuss how to regulate prices of the renting of umbrellas, canvas and beach bed sin the next meeting.

The meeting also agreed to regulate the prices of foods available from all foods shops on the beach.

nothing in that article makes any sense whatsoever

what is this continued issue with using sun loungers on the beach both in Pattaya and Phuket or indeed for vendors to rent them out from somewhere off the beach as and when required

• Like 1

Is a beach-bed vendor qualified to assess whether a foreigner is overweight ?

What qualifications do the vendors have ?

Just visual judgement ? or will the vendors have scales to hand ?

At least this game-plan has been well thought through.

• Like 1

If getting in-&-out of those damn canvas chairs was so much fun, bean bag chairs would not have been a fad, and not, thankfully, gone from our lives. I would rather have a rack that stretches you for torture than those damn chairs. What a crock they are.

I can not understand that the government wants to get into regulating the price of food, as if all food offered were the same. Food quality will go to its lowest level of taste, quality, and safety. If one wants to get 60 baht for a Chang, and another wants 50 baht, who cares? It is up to the consumer to make that decision, and to the retailer to decide what he wants to charge. Why don't they focus on the important things in life, and force Apple to sell their iPhone 6 for 1,000 baht? Same thing, controlling prices, but ridiculous, in my opinion.

• Like 2

"The Pattaya City has agreed to relax the beach bed rules to allow tourists with too large body to be comfort in canvas beds to use beach beds." That is going to be a nice job, to be able to tell a foreigner that they are fat enough too use a beach bed. Who writes these rules?????

It's the other way around, the tourists with specific requirements will be able to request the beds that are not normally available and are not normally allowed on the beach.

what is this continued issue with using sun loungers on the beach both in Pattaya and Phuket or indeed for vendors to rent them out from somewhere off the beach as and when required

Everything in the OP makes perfect sense. This isn't an issue of the availability of loungers in general, it's an issue of certain beds being made available to those who are not comfortably accommodated by the normal beds. If you know anything about those with back problems, for example, you will understand the issue.

It's a shame you didn't think your post through well enough, your visual challenges are now being displayed. Can't you read and comprehend? Visitors with certain issues will be able to request the beds that are not normally available. The chair concessionaires will not need any qualifications or scales.

• Like 1

Following the discussion, the meeting agreed to allow beach umbrella and bed operators to rent beach beds on case-by-case basis. The beach beds must be rented to tourists with illness or disability or who are too large to be comfort with canvas beds.

The new criteria to allow beach beds is wide open to interpretation which may mean beach beds on the beaches may become common again. A beach bed renter is not going to argue with a tourist if the tourist says he/she has a medical problem, back problem, fat ass, etc., and needs a beach bed.

What happens when a skinny person sees a fat person with a nice lounger .. then wants one himself?

Just convoluted rules and regulations

The more they tamper with things the worse things seem to get

Guess that is part of the TAT "discover Thainess"

Look I'm 63 bad back not fat by any means but the fact is you get some over weight sweaty Farang in a canvas lounger the canvas gets soaked and smelly And sags then some skinny guy comes along to use gets lost in chair and drowns. Hell I just bring my own Tie between two nice looking Thai chicks and there you have it.

Look I'm 63 bad back not fat by any means but the fact is you get some over weight sweaty Farang in a canvas lounger the canvas gets soaked and smelly And sags then some skinny guy comes along to use gets lost in chair and drowns. Hell I just bring my own Tie between two nice looking Thai chicks and there you have it.

So your the guy that brings much amusement to everyone in the near vicinity when you come down to the beach smile.png good on you sir....... but please check your thong occasionally cheesy.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It's a shame you didn't think your post through well enough, your visual challenges are now being displayed. Can't you read and comprehend? Visitors with certain issues will be able to request the beds that are not normally available. The chair concessionaires will not need any qualifications or scales.

OK. So when someone requests a specific type of sunbed, and appears to be limping, will the vendor simply give the "limper" what they require ? or will the "limper" be asked for a medical certificate ?

Can't you read and comprehend?

Visitors with certain issues will be able to request the beds that are not normally available.

The chair concessionaires will not need any qualifications or scales.

I think that you don't understand the problem here.

This kind of rule mean in fact that anyone can get these forbidden beds.

You want one? Just says that your back hurts wink.png

Edited by Pattaya46
  • Like 1

Simply because bed/umbrella/seat vendors were encroaching on beach set aside for use by tourists who actually wanted to sit on the beach, which they should be able to do.

• Like 1

Of course what will happen is that anyone can rent these beds. The vendors looks for business so the sun beds will be in high demand. If farangs are queuing up maybe the price will go up to 200 baht.

You watch give it a month and the beach will be full of beds again, with Thai saying for fat man, him go we we, but leave skinny children to take care bed, when gone, I just don't see the good in it in the end, bring your own blow up bed

So your the guy that brings much amusement to everyone in the near vicinity when you come down to the beach smile.png good on you sir....... but please check your thong occasionally cheesy.gif

Then you sir, will qualify for a chair,

Why oh why is this situation even allowed to develop.......why even have this industry? Beaches are supposed to be public property belonging to the people.

No one is allowed to hijack, monopolise and pollute a beach in this manner in Australia. You can walk onto any beach, throw a towel or beach chair on the sand, erect an umbrella and enjoy anywhere you like along 25,000kms or miles (I forget which one) of coastline.

For a local city council to get involved in mind numbing micro management of a pseudo industry in this manner is a ridiculous waste of time which could be spent on more pressing issues which are real.

Below are photos of the beaches along the Gold Coast near my home town of Brisbane. You can do what you like....throw a ball, have a game of cricket, sleep......

post-215105-0-27029100-1426157875_thumb.

post-215105-0-55211900-1426157926_thumb.

post-215105-0-79598600-1426157947_thumb.

• Like 1

This is ridiculous beach beds reserved for over-weight tourists. They complain because their fat asses slip on the canvas/burlap chairs, or have a hard time sitting

up reaching for another hot-dog, and beer?....... Say what....they need to get a pass authorizing use of the beach beds?........Where? At Immigrations at the Airport?.......What stand on a scale and be weighed?............What two ounces to light?................Do you sell hotdogs here?....................I say get real! Pattaya! People come here for relaxation and away from hassles of stupid restrictions on seating arrangements.

Somebody has a monopoly on the sale of the canvas chairs, I don't know who but they are all the same so they are purchased from the same supplier. They fear losing the chair business, not about losing the tourists. I can't eat in the damm things, get out of them or sleep well in them. I hate them and have generally stopped going to the beach because of them.

They also need to regulate the height of the umbrellas, so many people 6 feet and over but waling under umbrellas that are 5 1/2 feet but the spokes are at perfect eye poking level.

Off topic. Just went to the American Embassy, There is a food court area a few hundred meters up from the Embassy. After the "clean" up one side of the sidewalk was free of vendors and you could actually walk. Well they are all back in place and I think they added a few more. So the sidewalk in that area is now about 40 cm wide with people stopping to buy food on both sides..... Great clean up.

TIT

It took me a couple of posts to realise they were talking about deckchairs. Senility is on the way thumbsup.gif

Maybe senility should be one of the qualifiers for a chair?

sorry.gif.pagespeed.ce.HIAcli9fRMpIEuy7H Couldn't resist!

Everything in the OP makes perfect sense. This isn't an issue of the availability of loungers in general, it's an issue of certain beds being made available to those who are not comfortably accommodated by the normal beds. If you know anything about those with back problems, for example, you will understand the issue.

At last us with the beer bellies are accommodate for.... You skinny lads can sit in the sun and fry for a change while we enjoy our snacks and cold beer in comfort.....???