Korat Immigration retirement extension. Said next year must bring wife!

Completed my one year retirement extension in Korat yesterday, as I've done for many years. This year they have some extra "forms" to complete, like acknowledge overstay penalties. One form (attached) was completely in Thai and that form I was told my Thai wife needed to be with me to sign. There is a place at the bottom for what looks like 4 signatures. I had to sign the top spot and the officer wanted to see my Thai wife sign the bottom. He wasn't particularly "pleasant" when I asked why, with just a "grunt" in reply. Said next year I must bring wife with me. Guess we shall see, next year. Sorry for the poor quality of the document, but the original is bad as well. Can anybody read it well enough to tell me what the document is about?

post-171-0-58191300-1426200279_thumb.jpg

The form simply get you to state your name, address etc. for the purpose of renewing your visa. You also have to specify your source of income (retirement pension and/or back deposit). The four signatures below are for you, a translator and recorders. Nothing about bringing your wife with you next time.

Edited by adisornc

There is nothing on the form about being married. I think the officer really meant "bring someone who can translate".

It seems to be a local form whereby you attest to your address and income/bank balance and promise not to work in Thailand.

Legally, it makes sense. On the TM7 form you attest to your address but you don't attest to the financial info that you submit nor is there anywhere that you confirm the prohibition against working.

Edited by mahjongguy
  • Like 1

What's the big deal about bringing your wife with you? Retirement Visa's are for 1 year so surely bringing your wife with you one time can't be such a hassle whistling.gif

Well, my wife has better things to do than spend a day with me at Korat immigration which is a 250 km round trip from our house. Hey, I think it's a waste of MY time and I don't have anything in particular better to do.

• Like 1

What if you do not have a wife ? ! ? !

Close to 10 years ago I took my partner with me when extending based on Retirement. The Immigration Officer told her to sign a form which I later found out she did as "translator". Immigration is just trying to cover its' back-side. Should any dispute arise over what was said or told at the time and by whom, to whom it will all be the fault of the translator, "employed" by the farang..

Since that visit I have never taken her again.

What's the big deal about bringing your wife with you? Retirement Visa's are for 1 year so surely bringing your wife with you one time can't be such a hassle whistling.gif

Maybe the big deal is because he's applying for a retirement extension! You don't need to have a wife for a retirement extension, so why should he need to take her with him.

I had the same problem a couple of months ago in Korat when I went for my retirement extension. My wife works, so she would have to take time off work to come with me, so I didn't take her. They wanted to see her ID card and copy of her house book, even though I don't even need a wife for a retirement extension and I've never been asked for these before. They also wanted her to sign the same document that Ken posted. When I insisted that she couldn't come to Immigration (50 Kms each way from my house), they eventually accepted that, but then they made me wait because the boss was not there to sign the extension, but the boss never came back! I had to go back twice before I finally got it signed.

I've had 7 previous retirement extensions from Korat immigration with no problems before, but now they're making it very difficult. It took 3 days and 300 Kms to get my extension which previously took about 20 minutes.

I'm "with you Bill". My wife also works. Indeed, I knew about the "proof of address", meaning signed copies of wife's ID card and housebook, so I supplied those. In the past I have never had any issues with Korat Immigration, but for whatever reason they are getting more and more unfriendly.

• Like 1

For the past 5 years Korat immigration has requested new forms, paperwork , etc. just to extend my type o visa. Every year is something else!!!! Last year they said my "Original" thai marriage license was not enough and needed a bunch of printouts from both my wife and myselves stay in thailand. The license was from 1973!!!

Yes it is hard to to bring your wife of 42 years when she has Parkinsons, 2 strokes and is bed-ridden!!! Yes, i always have her doctors statement stating so everytime!!! bah.gif

Maybe the "innovations" of certain immigration offices would be a test for the fabolous new "foreigner help line" 1111 whistling.gif

Its a brazenness/bullying to invent some Thai language forms and create the need for an interpreter.

Bring your wife.

If you have one tongue.png

Just happy that I have a lucky draw with my immigration in Khon Kaen.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Maybe the "innovations" of certain immigration offices would be a test for the fabolous new "foreigner help line" 1111 whistling.gif

Its a brazenness to invent some Thai language forms and create the need for an interpreter.

Bring your wife.

I certainly agree that a complaint about Korat's clearly blatant and bloody-minded refusal to produce an English version of the form referred to in the OP might provide a suitable test of the effectiveness of this helpline.

Because genius, some of us don't live in the middle of nowhere. Our wives have decent jobs. It is inconvenient for them, for their workplace and maybe a loss of incomE.

Besides, from what we had been thru who would want to subject anyone they know let alone love to the nonsense and sourness.

• Like 2

For the past 5 years Korat immigration has requested new forms, paperwork , etc. just to extend my type o visa. Every year is something else!!!! Last year they said my "Original" thai marriage license was not enough and needed a bunch of printouts from both my wife and myselves stay in thailand. The license was from 1973!!!

Yes it is hard to to bring your wife of 42 years when she has Parkinsons, 2 strokes and is bed-ridden!!! Yes, i always have her doctors statement stating so everytime!!! bah.gif

This is just tragic.

I'm sure she is very ill but you should make up a bunch of drama like blanket her all up, hire two caretakers, put her on a walker or better a stretcher. Make em think. Make em feel their actions.

Good luck to you both.

Edited by Mencken

What load of shit from thai Immigration in thailand //

Some of those thais at Immigration people are just full of it .

I think many problems come from farangs, not from the Immigration Officers.

There are many times problem due to comprehension/translation only.

Here I think like mahjongguy above: he just asked you "someone that could understand/translate".

BTW how could he know you have a Thai wife ? You don't mention that on Retirement form.

Obviously you don't read all the posts. I said early on that the officer asked me if I was married with Thai and I answered yes. I thought he was just making some "chit chat" when he asked me. I then even asked him if he was married and he said no but he had some girlfriends.

Its a brazenness to invent some Thai language forms and create the need for an interpreter.

Bring your wife.

I certainly agree that a complaint about Korat's clearly blatant and bloody-minded refusal to produce an English version of the form referred to in the OP might provide a suitable test of the effectiveness of this helpline.

Do it the naive way: "could you translate that form for me" biggrin.png

The difference from 1 Immigration Office to another is astounding. I live in Phitsanulok and the first time I went my wife came with me. They didn't want proof of residence or anything very much and when I tried to give him it he said that my wife was my guarantee. So I take her every time now and we breeze in and out very quickly. Mind you Phitsanulok is small with only 2 counters and they both do everything.

• Like 1

Got my retirement extension in Korat earlier this week it was a nightmare. I wen t(alone) on Monday and the lady checking the documents and handing out numbers lost the plot and was just telling people to sit down with no idea when they would be served since the number system had been turned off. I cut my loses and left since I feared an all dayer with no guarantee of being served. I went back at 8am on Tuesday and managed to see a more friendly lady who after checking my documents told me a needed my wifes ID card and House book and NOT proof of Address (Drivers Licence) as previously. Luckily I had a signed id copy with me and house book copies which were unsigned _ managed to beg enough for her to accept the house book copies signed by me, So I get number 001 - a result. I then get called up and the lady serving me was next to useless - staring at various pages of my app for 5 minutes on end for no apparent reason. Finally she asks me if I come alone and hands me the same form the OP has shown. I tell her Iam alone and don't read Thai. She simply collected all my documents up places the number 001 on top and pushes them towards me and mumbles something about me coming alone. Luckily the original (helpful) lady was nearby so I called he over and explained I didn't read Thai. She then proceeded to tell me what to write where and finally I signed it. Finally I was told to sit down at the back and wait to get my passport back. I now know that I was waiting for the documents to be verified by the boss lady in one of the back offices. Problem wa she wasn't there. She wandered in one hour later by which time there was a pile of about 20 various immigration forms to be check. Mine was on the bottom!! Can't wait til next year..................

The document looks like a local office made one. Not standardized for all Immigration offices. Does not have the Governmental bird seal on the top making it an official document.

There is no garuda.

All immigration offices have these forms but not all immigration offices require them

• Like 1

The document looks like a local office made one. Not standardized for all Immigration offices. Does not have the Governmental bird seal on the top making it an official document.

There is no garuda.

All immigration offices have these forms but not all immigration offices require them

5 5 5 5 5 5 5

This is Karma - payback for the times we wandered the corridors at work, carrying an empty file of meanless papers - whilst trying to look busy and creeping in late, after a very late lunch

Hell, some of us even postponed bathroom breaks until overtime had started LOL

5 5 5 5 5

• Like 1

I agree.

Mind you mostly I am not allowed out on my own.

Regards

That's funny...mine never wants to go with meblink.png

Korat immigration always wants more paperwork a friend told me, this year immigration first time not accept eu passport picture size must have Thai size come back again maybe the import some burocrats from Europe..

That is nothing unusual. Most offices want a photo equal to or little larger than the outline for the photo.

A 3.5 X 4.5 photo certainly is not big enough. Just go to a photo shop and order some 4cm X 6cm size photos, I print mine out myself on photo paper.

I witnessed that up here at immigration where a person was told to get bigger photos.