Parents upset over ban on children riding motorbikes

Lite Beer

Crazy parents

No helmets,no nlicence

wear Helmet if you are very lucky

Cause accidents!

No wonder 80% of road deaths are caused by motor bikes.

Even the student at Chaingmai University don't wear them.

And these Statistics do not include deaths or injury after in Hospital!!!

Please do explain where you looked up (made up) 80% of road deaths are caused by motorbike?

You have no idea what you are talking about.

In many parts of the country there is no other way for parents to get their kids anywhere, school, doctor wherever other than to use their only form of transport their motorbike. There are no school buses or public transport in many places so there is no alternative other than walking long distances.

Rather than a ban make helmets for kids easily available and cheap, even free in some poor areas to poor parents.

How many children are killed on bikes when with their parents ? I would suspect few as parents would be more careful with kids aboard.

Most of the deaths and injuries on bikes would be from those who race around, no helmets, no license.

More and better policing rather than bans and stickers.

Enforcing mandatory helmet laws and drink driving laws would save a lot of tragedy.

It has never been proved helmets save lives, never.

They certainly never prevent accidents.

Stop the cause of accidents is the only way to go.

So I guess the study after study after study that can be found with a simple google search all proving that helmets save lives are all just plain wrong or are some great conspiracy theory .....common sense would tell anyone that wearing a good helmet if/when your head bangs onto the ground is better than no helmet. I had an accident going very slowly and landed on my head....broke the collarbone but the head survived....put a dent in the helmet that would have been in my head if i had not had the helmet.

The only study worth noting would be of states or countries that had and then repealed compulsory helmet use. The ones i have seen concluded no discernible difference in death rates.

• Like 1

Mandatory vasectomy after the first kid would help !

Seriously; do they think that banning it will stop it? Thai's are born law breakers and the Police are useless at upholding the law, so good luck with another hopeless idea......NEXT.

In reply to "fiddlesticks"

Then I STRONGLY encourage you to not wear a helmet here in Thailand. I can certainly live with that. You are absolutely right and will likely be dead right practicing your beliefs. Chok Di.

So, you believe they work, then encourage me not to wear one, interesting that you would wish death on me.

Some cretins know nothing, and i do believe you are one of them.

But never mind, as it is a proven fact that do not lower the death rate i am quite happy to ride as i do. (mostly with a helmet, but under protest)

Not wearing one has never caused an accident.

I suggest if you want to feel so high and mighty, you start protesting about the cause of accidents, not the wearing of ineffective (safety) gear.

"Statistics have proven in states where it was compulsory, when repealed there was no difference in death rates. "

oh really? and which "stats" were those?

How Do States Measure Up?

In 2010, 42% of motorcyclists who were fatally injured were unhelmeted. Helmets saved over 1,500 riders’ lives, but about 700 more lives could have been saved if all riders had worn helmets in 2010.24

On average, states with a universal helmet law save 8 times more riders’ lives per 100,000 motorcycle registrations each year, compared to states without a helmet law, and save 3 times more riders’ lives per 100,000 motorcycle registrations each year, compared to states with a partial helmet law.24

Economic costs saved in states with universal helmet laws were, on average, nearly four times greater per registered motorcycle than in states without such a law.

The problem is getting correct "stats"

The only way i know of is to compare states where compulsory use has been stopped. Then look at before and after "stats"

The "stats" you state are in fact only an opinion, it is IMPOSSIBLE to know how many lives could or would be saved. Only looking at past "stats" does that.

In many parts of the country there is no other way for parents to get their kids anywhere, school, doctor wherever other than to use their only form of transport their motorbike. There are no school buses or public transport in many places so there is no alternative other than walking long distances.

Rather than a ban make helmets for kids easily available and cheap, even free in some poor areas to poor parents.

How many children are killed on bikes when with their parents ? I would suspect few as parents would be more careful with kids aboard.

Most of the deaths and injuries on bikes would be from those who race around, no helmets, no license.

Enforcing mandatory helmet laws and drink driving laws would save a lot of tragedy.

what a load of crap,....it has been proven over and over again that helmets save lives. It saved mine 30 years ago,...it had a huge crack in it and I prefer not having that crack in my head...just like you probably have.....for the rest you are right, it never prevent accidents.

Lot's of my friends who ride motorbikes in a responsible manner and are excellent drivers have there life saver by wearing a helmet. been a excellent driver don't saves you from accidents, .....

Where is the proof?

It is your opinion it saved your life, you don't actually know.

As i stated, concern should be about stopping the CAUSE of accidents.

So I guess the study after study after study that can be found with a simple google search all proving that helmets save lives are all just plain wrong or are some great conspiracy theory .....common sense would tell anyone that wearing a good helmet if/when your head bangs onto the ground is better than no helmet. I had an accident going very slowly and landed on my head....broke the collarbone but the head survived....put a dent in the helmet that would have been in my head if i had not had the helmet.

The only study worth noting would be of states or countries that had and then repealed compulsory helmet use. The ones i have seen concluded no discernible difference in death rates.

But probably an increase in human vegetable rates.

• Like 1

re post 8 what a load of garbage, free helmets for poor people, if you can afford a scooter you can afford a helmet end of. no excuses. perhaps it would nice to start fining cops for not wearing helmets. oh sorry they are a law unto themselves.

Yes Thai people are so poor they can't afford helmets but they can afford the bike??? They can afford a million Baht Vigo but a babyseat, no, too expensive. Huh huh!

• Like 1

A lot of people are agreeing with this new idea - why? In the UK children are allowed to ride pillion at any age. Fact. Here is the law in the UK regarding this

1. You must be able to comfortably reach the foot-pegs (and if that means raising the foot-peg mounting points to accommodate a child on the pillion seat, that is perfectly legal). If the rider is under the age of 17, they must have a parent or guardian's consent to ride as a passenger on the motorcycle.

The real issue regarding chil;dren on motorbikes in Thailand is twofold; Firstly the use of appropriate helmets (these 200 baht things in Tesco are more dangerous than not having a crash hat) and secondly and in my opinion more importanly, the age of children piloting the motorbikes! It's normal to see 8-year old kids on Samui (for example) not only driving the motorbikes but also taking younger ones as passengers! I once say a boy who could not have been more than 8, take some 6 or 7 younger kids off in the sidecar of the bike he was driving!

SIDECARS, sidecars will help.smile.png

Help get sidecars for those with bike as only family transport. Make laws favoring sidecars. Put the baby and 6yr old in the side car.laugh.png

I say SIDECARS, SIDECARS, FOR EVERYONE.biggrin.png

I hope that's sarcasm in action .........

the streets around Rayong are jammed with the bloody things (called salengs) with granny trundling along at 10klicks holding up the traffic and they're not much safer, twice seen toddlers bounced out of the things although I did see a drunken Swede roll one from a standing start trying to do a u turn in a narrow street. we get a lot of tourist families hiring them out around the beach areas, I hate them and find them extremely dangerous even being an experienced motorcycle rider (maybe that's why).

Look at the pic!

Long as dad's head protected!

[The rider has to wear a helmet by law. Passengers do not./quote]

Everybody from a one day old baby has to wear a helmet if on a motorcycle. Passenger & driver. See ask the lawyer section for confirmation.

'Thawichai Milarp, a government official, believed the ban on young kids riding on motorcycles would violate people's rights.' Prat! What the hell does he suppose four-up on a bike does for their rights? Never mind that two-seat facilities - even supposing putting kids on motorbikes in the first place was in any way sensible - are just that: two seats!

• Like 1

SIDECARS, sidecars will help.smile.png

Help get sidecars for those with bike as only family transport. Make laws favoring sidecars. Put the baby and 6yr old in the side car.laugh.png

I say SIDECARS, SIDECARS, FOR EVERYONE.biggrin.png

I hope that's sarcasm in action .........

the streets around Rayong are jammed with the bloody things (called salengs) with granny trundling along at 10klicks holding up the traffic and they're not much safer, twice seen toddlers bounced out of the things although I did see a drunken Swede roll one from a standing start trying to do a u turn in a narrow street. we get a lot of tourist families hiring them out around the beach areas, I hate them and find them extremely dangerous even being an experienced motorcycle rider (maybe that's why).

They are not the easiest things to drive. Toddlers should be in the arms of an adult (Not the driver). For other children there should be something to hold on to. Seat belts might be an option.

@Alwyn. Have you ever seen the foot pegs of a motorcycle altered here? Could it be done? Mostly you see kids legs dangling often losing a flip flop or two.

UK law is for UK. This is Thailand. It has its own laws.

So trying to bring the road toll down is a violation of people's rights. This country will never move forward with attitudes like that.

I agree bring the road toll down but I do not believe it has to be a violation of peoples rights but just show some common sense. On Pattaya TV tonight they have reported about a 12 year old girl being taken to school by her father, got involved in an accident an fortunately for the father got away with minor injuries however the young girl died in hospital with severe head injuries. Father and daughter were not wearing a helmet and it was said by the hospital had she been wearing a helmet chances are she would have survived. Don't stop them riding 2-3 on a bike but enforce the helmet law and perhaps there would be one more 12 year old going to school again

• Like 1

chrissables...I ask you to join a simple experiment: I will wear a helmet and run into a wall -head first- from 10 meters.

You do the same without a helmet and we see, who is better of afterwards, okay?!
Let me guess: you are an American and the 2nd amendment is your gospel?! coffee1.gif
  • Like 2

@Alwyn. Have you ever seen the foot pegs of a motorcycle altered here? Could it be done? Mostly you see kids legs dangling often losing a flip flop or two.

UK law is for UK. This is Thailand. It has its own laws.

Whats laws got to do with Common sense and safety. no matter where, If they have an accident with more than the designed amount of people on it, 2 , fine them an ban them because i am certain the Insurance will not pay out for four deaths on one motor bike insurance. also the design and use of the machine is compromised, balance, stability, breaking power. the list goes on

chrissables...I ask you to join a simple experiment: I will wear a helmet and run into a wall -head first- from 10 meters.

You do the same without a helmet and we see, who is better of afterwards, okay?!
Let me guess: you are an American and the 2nd amendment is your gospel?! coffee1.gif

You write that as if it is a guarantee that everyone who rides on a motorcycle will crash and hit their head. The vast majority of families live their whole lives with never an accident. The Thai attitude of Karma prevents them from assessing the risk the same way your Western-trained mind does. They are completely happy in their ignorance of the dangers until they are not. Unless you change the whole mentality of Thailand, they will be a nation of risk-takers. When 12 million people don't want to obey a law here, there is nothing he police can do. You know that when you drive/ride on Thai roads, even when you take every precaution, you stand a good chance of death or serious injury and yet you still travel on Thai roads. The Thais have long ago accepted that life is a gamble and they will not be the losers... until they are. Who wants to live their life believing that bad things will happen to them?

• Like 2

I know it is difficult to put yourself in the place of those who struggle to make ends meet but there are dangers everywhere and for many, as evidenced by the number of children passengers on motorbikes, it is the only practical form of transport for them. Since Thais are Buddhist, they believe that if they or their child is injured/killed, it is Karma.

Thais are animists first and Buddhists second, with Buddhism becoming somewhat ascendent in older age. But you are correct, many Thais can only afford a motorcycle or scooter and that becomes the only option for transporting their children. But when transporting their young children, they are almost always seen driving very cautiously, very slowly, and along the side of the road. I live in an area where driving with young children is the norm, and I don't recall many incidents involving a two-wheeler with very young children as cargo. They are not leaving the fate of their children to Karma or chance. They are playing with the cards dealt to them and usually being extra cautious. Now I would not be against a law regarding helmets, but the majority of Thai adults, not to mention tourists, ride around with these little plastic bump caps that don't provide the cranium with much added protection, so such a law would only increase revenue for the police, as the existing helmet laws do, without providing any additional safety.

• Like 1

You write that as if it is a guarantee that everyone who rides on a motorcycle will crash and hit their head. The vast majority of families live their whole lives with never an accident. The Thai attitude of Karma prevents them from assessing the risk the same way your Western-trained mind does. They are completely happy in their ignorance of the dangers until they are not. Unless you change the whole mentality of Thailand, they will be a nation of risk-takers. When 12 million people don't want to obey a law here, there is nothing he police can do. You know that when you drive/ride on Thai roads, even when you take every precaution, you stand a good chance of death or serious injury and yet you still travel on Thai roads. The Thais have long ago accepted that life is a gamble and they will not be the losers... until they are. Who wants to live their life believing that bad things will happen to them?

Well the same ideas prevailed in Vietnam until the government decided that everyone would wear a helmet on a motorcycle. They announced that it was going to be enforced stringently in 6 months.. when it got close to the 6 months they announced that certain days would be helmet days... with big fines for those that didn't wear one... Now as far as I'm aware people wear helmets in Vietnam!

http://m.thanhniennews.com/society/hcmc-steps-up-enforcement-of-helmet-law-for-children-5218.html

• Like 1

to the idiotic farang posters on here, yeah we know who you are, saying "i dont wear a helmet, freedom of choice" you clowns ,, it is the law, why do you think the cops. (when they wish to do so,) fine you for not wearing a helmet. BECAUSE IT IS THE LAW. get it, you thickos

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I love my freedom here and riding my bike with NO helmet, it is called freedom and I hate all the nanny state do gooders who preach about safety all the time, jeees it is not safe to walk down the street so we will all have to stay indoors in padded cells to stop hurting ourselves!!!! Live your life how you want to and stop telling others how to live theirs.

While I agree with you to a point you cannot include children in that. Children don't understand dangers like adults do and therefore cannot make an educated decision like we can.

All passengers on a bike must wear helmets. Even a one day old is a passenger. That is the law. Your assumption is wrong. See the ask the lawyer section for confirmation.

Please don't misunderstand me. I am pro-helmet. However helmets don't really protect one that much in an accident. In many cases the main difference between helmet and no helmet is where does one want to collect their splattered brains? All over the road, or in the brain bucket (helmet). Also the kinetic forces involved, even with the small bike, are sufficient that if the bike flips over the right way one can easily have a severed head, broken neck or broken spine, or crushed head.

Yes helmets are a good idea, I don't disagree, however they are not the save-all panacea some have been trained to believe.

Now what is the solution? Raise the minimum wage in Thailand to 2000 baht per day, that way everyone can finance a new car?

I don't have the answers.

My dad slipped on a small piece if ice, hit his head toward the sidewalk. He was hospitalised for month and taken away from work for a couple of years. He now has a big piece of is brain removed on his frontal lobe and has a artificial bone covered his brain. And he was just walking with my sister.

Helmets do night and day different when it comes to head injuries. but ofcause, of you drive 100 MPH right in to a truck it does not matter. But for all those minor accidents... Bike standing still and get hit by a car driving 10 MPH is is a huge difference.

A recent report posted on here suggested that drowning was the biggest cause of death in children, kind of makes the whole argument about deaths on motorbikes when nobody suggested banning children from swimming pools ?

So just because people is drowning that meant we can not save lives by wearing a helmet?

Its like saying we should not build new schools in Thailand because there is more un-educated kids in Kenya.

• Like 1

Look at the pic!

Long as dad's head protected!

Exactly - it always amazes me how the parents will wear a helmet but leave their children unprotected.

Even with a helmet, you're unlikely to survive in a situation like this.