my dead corpse

maewang99

That's right tell your wife to burn you first, paperwork and bs second. I had no idea this was the case for American's, I hope it is not so for Australians. All I wish is that my wife gives enough time for Aussie family and friends to get here for it, so I will probably get a 7 dayer not the run of the mill three dayer. Morbid I know.

• Like 1

I've asked my wife just to do the 3 Day job. Have gently told my childen that as they haven't visited me whilst I'm alive don't bother when I'm dead and that the 3 Day job is what will happen ......

• Like 2

Seems the OP has some very genuine concerns but all of the replies are conjecture and guesses. I'd think more expats living here and wishing to remain in Thailand 'after' would be very interested in definitively knowing what happens to their remains.

BTW: I've never had much luck getting information out of the US Embassy. I'm not so sure they will answer a question about this without first figuring out how to charge an exorbitant fee for the info.

• Like 1

When I had my american friend cremated, (no thai wife) the next of kin in US through US consulate had somehow put me in charge of funeral procedures. After that there were no problems. Autopsies are usually for unatended or questionable circumstances.

I am not sure about the legal aspects of natural deaths here.

For a long time i understood that if a foreigner died 'up country' then the body would have to go to Bkk, however, having lived in Phitsanulok for the last 15 years, and having attended more than a dozen burnings, i have never witnessed or heard of the body leaving the province. Once the death certificate and release certificate has been issued from the hospital, it is straight off to the wat.

You have been mis-informed. I think you will find what you describe only happens when the death is suspicious. If you were found shot, stabbed etc, then an autopsy etc would be required.

If you, like some of my friends here, die of illness or natural causes etc then an autopsy is not required and doesnt apply and you will be dealt with as a local, funeral arrangements, burning etc.

This was certainly true for the last two funerals here for ferangs, that I was also involved in dealing with there affairs/paperwork.

Thanks for clearing that up.

CharlieH is absolutely right about this. Maewang99 -- you have little to worry about. Your death will be handled as if you are Thai i.e. an autopsy will be ordered only if you died under suspicious circumstances. The U.S. Embassy will be notified and they will look to your wife or a close local friend to make arrangements. They don't have the personnel in Bangkok to get involved unless the situation was suspicious.

There will be a Thai death certificate -- produced locally -- that your wife (or the close friend handling arrangements) should arrange to have translated into English and sent to the U.S. Embassy. They will produce a document called a "Report of Death of U.S. Citizen Abroad" which your heirs can use like a U.S. death certificate to close bank accounts, claim life insurance, file for widow's benefits, etc in the U.S.

Don't worry, there's no need for your body or ashes to ever leave the amphur.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

CharlieH is absolutely right about this. Maewang99 -- you have little to worry about. Your death will be handled as if you are Thai i.e. an autopsy will be ordered only if you died under suspicious circumstances. The U.S. Embassy will be notified and they will look to your wife or a close local friend to make arrangements. They don't have the personnel in Bangkok to get involved unless the situation was suspicious.

There will be a Thai death certificate -- produced locally -- that your wife (or the close friend handling arrangements) should arrange to have translated into English and sent to the U.S. Embassy. They will produce a document called a "Report of Death of U.S. Citizen Abroad" which your heirs can use like a U.S. death certificate to close bank accounts, claim life insurance, file for widow's benefits, etc in the U.S.

Don't worry, there's no need for your body or ashes to ever leave the amphur.

Your local police office also need to be informed.

The death certificate can be translated by anyone but it needs to be approved by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. They will tell you what changes need to be made, if any, and then stamp the document. It can then be officially accepted as the translation. Maybe the USA embassy offers its own translation authentication service.

The autopsy is optional. However, I suggest that if you have insurance, property or a will in your home country, you give instructions to your next of kin to request one. A death certificate without a cause of death may not be sufficient to initiate probate.

Normally, your next of kin will collect the ashes/remains the next day from the crematorium.

The above is my personal experience.

I believe the rule is that if you die outside of hospital, then an autopsy is mandatory.

I may be wrong.

In reply to Howitzer - everyone should discuss death , certainly it is a bit nearer at 70. My neighbour is 92 and still whizzes around the world, so could have many years of pleasant life left- 70 is the new 40!

You never know what is around the corner- especially if you ride a bike here-so have all paperwork , wills , etc up to date.

I'm not taking any chances - I'm confident that they'll happily spread my ashes at the location of my choice in Cambodia without all this bureaucratic nonsense ; just have to make sure they wait till after I've passed to get the show on the road ;)

PS can anyone here write me a note in Khmer ? :D

I believe the rule is that if you die outside of hospital, then an autopsy is mandatory.

I may be wrong.

In reply to Howitzer - everyone should discuss death , certainly it is a bit nearer at 70. My neighbour is 92 and still whizzes around the world, so could have many years of pleasant life left- 70 is the new 40!

You never know what is around the corner- especially if you ride a bike here-so have all paperwork , wills , etc up to date.

If you die suddenly outside a hospital, for no apparent reason, then yes, an autopsy will probably be ordered. But if the cause of death is evident then no autopsy may be ordered.

Yes, police are often called in for a death in the home. If someone is ill and expected to die, then it's a good idea to invite the police to come to the home ahead of death so they understand there is a person in the home who is ill and expected to die -- that s/he is being cared for properly, under proper medical supervision, etc. This pre-death visit should reduce the number of questions that are asked by the police on the day of death and minimize the intrusion to the family.

Edited by NancyL

When my English friend died his friend was told the hospital would not release the body until another friend provided his credit card to ensure they got their money if the insurance did not come through. My instructions in this eventuality is that they should be told to keep the corpse and do what they will with it.

I have only one other instruction, no cleric or priest anywhere near me when I am dying, what mumbo jumbo they do afterwards is of no concern to me.

Seems the OP has some very genuine concerns but all of the replies are conjecture and guesses. I'd think more expats living here and wishing to remain in Thailand 'after' would be very interested in definitively knowing what happens to their remains.

BTW: I've never had much luck getting information out of the US Embassy. I'm not so sure they will answer a question about this without first figuring out how to charge an exorbitant fee for the info.

Oooops! I thought this was a 'Thainess' attitude!!!

biggrin.png