10 days home in England - places to show the mrs?

Howdy... I am taking the GF home to England for 10 days in June/July and I am trying to think of must do stuff that will impress her. In the list so far is the obvious stuff like Buckingham Palace, Tower of London, Madame Tusaudes, Oxford Street, Covent Garden etc, maybe nip out West to Windsor for the day, see the castle and mooch around the town. Outside of London, im strugling to come up with ideas though..... Suggestions would be much appreciated! I will be nipping up to the Midlands for a couple of days so I thought of Warwick Castle and Stratford on Avon and maybe driving north a little bit to Alton Towers, if i we can be arsed with a theme park that is. Maybe take her down to the Cotswolds? Thats going to knock most Thais off there feet surely? All the small villages and quaint houses, old pubs and countryside - about as far removed from Udon Thani as you can get?

Staying in a castle hotel for the night? Anyone done that? Just sort of popped into my head that one.

Also a couple of days south coast at the seaside, I guess the main 3 are Bournemouth, Torbay and Brighton right?

Like I say we have 10 days there and are not restricted to any one area, and I will be renting a car so can go pretty much anywhere.

I sort of feel like I am missing something obvious here thats why I am posting.... Obviously I can plan a trip out no problem but I cant help feel that I am missing a few real obvious things here. So if anyone has any feedback, or had taken there TGF back there and can suggest some stuff she will love, I appreciate it big time!

Cheers, TLS

Don't try and overdo it, traveling takes time and energy and was something that I overlooked last time I went.

The Lake District was a winner for my missus, but so was the tour of Old Trafford.

Having roast lamb for Sunday lunch in an English pub had appeal, as did most of the real ales!

We are going again for a month in June/July and I always 'bookend' my trips with 3 nights in London. The tourist things are there for a reason so Buckingham Palace is a must. The British museum is interesting - and free. Covent Garden has so much going on and Leicester Square, Oxford St/Bond Street are worth a look. My misus spent over 3 hours in Primark, Oxford St - that is a morning gone. I would recommend the London Eye.

There is so much more to see and you are the only one who can second guess what your GF might like. 10 days is not long and if you have family/friends to meet that time will soon get taken up. Quality is better than quantity in my opinion.

Don't forget to pack Mama noodles as your GF will need a fix of Thai food and UK prices for Thai food are horrendous.

Many pretty places around the Cotswolds..

North Devon, 'Clovelly' + ice cream with clotted cream, + afternoon teas with clotted cream

Cornwall, well there is Land's end, + cornish pasties,

as for the roads well that is a real eye opening in that area for most from here + hills and so many lanes with only passing places..

• Like 1

Took mine for Bambi Pie at the Red Shoot in the New Forest. We had just seen a herd of deer cross the road before lunch, "what's in this pie?", "Those things that we just saw", "delicious" :P

Bournemouth is OK, but further down the coast is more spectacular, cross Poole entrance on the chain ferry, all along that coastline if gorgeous, Durdle Dor, Corfe Castle, Weymouth / Portland and the Cerne Giant are worth a look. Piddletrenthide is a lovely place with a name she'll have fun pronouncing :)

How about asking her what she'd like to see? Most Thai people have some ideas about the country and its attractions. Perhaps she's a fan of Harry Potter?

I took my partner to the UK for a similar period of time. He wanted to see Stonehenge. I included that in a commercial day trip from London, along with Bath and a Cotswolds village. Much enjoyed.

A highlight for him was a day trip to Cambridge, but admittedly, I have privileged access to a few places that regular tourists can't readily visit (such as a private tour of a 14th century library). Still, I think there's enough there to entertain, particularly if the partner is of an academic bent.

In London some of the quirkier places went down well such as Sir John Soames Museum and Temple Church.

The British Museum is good if your partner has a particular interest, say in Greek or Egyptian history. (Don't bother with more than a few rooms, though.)

Don't bother with Thai restaurants in the UK. They simply won't be up to scratch.

Rather than the Wimbledon temple I took my partner to the Amaravati Monastery outside Hemel Hempstead. It made a great impression. Lovely, peaceful setting, and the free lunch was good. http://www.amaravati.org/

Don't forget an English pub with warm beer and fish and chips.

Oh, a trip through Leadenhall Market in London is good for the Harry Potter fan.

And for anybody, street food at Borough Market is a "don't miss". My partner almost overdosed on the fresh oysters there - much nicer than the raw oysters in Thailand.

Took mine for Bambi Pie at the Red Shoot in the New Forest. We had just seen a herd of deer cross the road before lunch, "what's in this pie?", "Those things that we just saw", "delicious" tongue.png

Bournemouth is OK, but further down the coast is more spectacular, cross Poole entrance on the chain ferry, all along that coastline if gorgeous, Durdle Dor, Corfe Castle, Weymouth / Portland and the Cerne Giant are worth a look. Piddletrenthide is a lovely place with a name she'll have fun pronouncing smile.png

The Red Shoot is a great pub I used to go there many years ago, also try the High Corner Inn in Linwood which isn't far from the Red Shoot.

To add a little more information from Crossy's post...I agree Bournemouth is OK but I would head to Poole Harbour which has great pubs and restaurants. From there you could head to Sandbanks which has a great beach and at the end of the peninsular you can take a ferry to Studland

and head to Corfe Castle and Swanage. On the way back from there I would take in Lulworth Cove and Durdle Door as suggested by Crossy.

Shopping, shopping and more shopping.

Think like a thai...what has a thai heard of in the uk and go there n do that. Being able to show her friends and family on return will go down well. Ask a few thais where would they want to go...bet they'll say: Queen's Palace, London Bridge (ie Tower Bridge), Harrods & Stonehenge.

Took my wife and kids the past 3 years...they all wanted to go to london the most but I don't think they were that impressed. They liked particularly liked Edinburgh..York..Carlisle/Lakes..and simple things like a nice walk along the local canal on a nice day ending up with a pub lunch.

Haven't seen anyone mention the London Eye, also if in session you can watch a debate from the public gallery in Parliament, my GF was blown away by being able to see something like this. Tower Bridge, Tower of London, also the 'Monument' where the Great Fire of LOndon Started, you get a certificate for climbing all the way to the top - great for her to take home. Street artists at Covent Garden and also Trafalgar Square (you can lift her up and take a picture of her sitting with one of the lions at the foot of Nelsons Column. Mounted Cavalry ouyside the Barracks in Whitehall. Sunday Morning Speakers corner at Marble Arch. Don't forget the 'Primark' store on Oxford Street - She'll love you for all those 'undies' you'll buy her !! (you probably will get all the thanks you can cope with later !!)

Ten days is short time. I personally have been to England once and only for a month. For me everything was exciting to see.Pub lunchs were great going to Pandoras Box a 300 year old pub was so good.Lands End,Devils Frying Pan, Westminster Abbey,Stone Henge,Pendennis,St Mawes,Winchester Cathedral,I could go on. At Pendennis can roam around a real Castle,and get perspective of how harsh life once was,how small the people were. A ploughmans or fishermans lunch adds to anyday. Going to England is like going to a living museum for those of us who come from other countries full of history something around every corner that is of interest. I never made it north of London so if you go north good luck.

Edited by lovelomsak

Don't try and overdo it, traveling takes time and energy and was something that I overlooked last time I went.

The Lake District was a winner for my missus, but so was the tour of Old Trafford.

Having roast lamb for Sunday lunch in an English pub had appeal, as did most of the real ales!

We are going again for a month in June/July and I always 'bookend' my trips with 3 nights in London. The tourist things are there for a reason so Buckingham Palace is a must. The British museum is interesting - and free. Covent Garden has so much going on and Leicester Square, Oxford St/Bond Street are worth a look. My misus spent over 3 hours in Primark, Oxford St - that is a morning gone. I would recommend the London Eye.

There is so much more to see and you are the only one who can second guess what your GF might like. 10 days is not long and if you have family/friends to meet that time will soon get taken up. Quality is better than quantity in my opinion.

Don't forget to pack Mama noodles as your GF will need a fix of Thai food and UK prices for Thai food are horrendous.

Get her to steal a loaf of bread, she might get lucky & get sent to the land of Oz like the smarter Poms did, at least then she would get to see smething worth seeing, & they even have started playing girls football, i think you call that soccer over there,

Sound like you don't know your own country and neigher what you lady likes to do or see...

There is no guideline book on stupidity

It's quite obvious that the OP knows his own country, he is just asking other members of their past experiences of visiting the UK with their partners. Quite a sensible post.

I doubt very much that his girlfriend has an extensive knowledge of England apart from the obvious such as Big Ben or The London Eye.

If asked she is not likely to say " darling, I am really interested in England's industrial history- lets go see some tin mines in Cornwall " or something similar.

I can only presume that English is not your first language; if it is heaven help us.

Anyway to the OP how about a musical? Something like The Lion King. I don't know when you were in Town recently, but be prepared to spend an horrendous amount of money doing the tourist trail.

Kew can be stunning in the summer and the Palm houses are nice and warm!

Good luck with your trip.

Edited by peterb17

Most Thai tourists I know seem to want to have their photo taken, with Big Ben in the background, on Westminster Bridge !

You can't get your photo taken with Big Ben in the background, what you can get is a photo with the Elizabeth Tower in the background which houses the bell named Big Ben on which the hour chimes are struck.

• Like 1

10 days may not be enough and depends where you want to go and where you based. Most Thais are into Temples so you could think about a tour of St Pauls about 20 quid each or York Minister about the same then you could do the National Railway Museum which is free. Most football clubs will do you a tour although you will have to book in advance, same as the tour of the Buck Palace. West End Show-Mama Mia?

If you want to see the country drive along the south coast, Dorset, Devon and Cornwall are very scenic, Cornwall could also taken you to the Eden Project.

She will want to do some shopping so take her to Primark and ave yourself some money!

Staying in London there is the Albert Hall Tour, Natural History Museum and Science Museum are free.

Greenwich Observatory, opens at 1000, great views, stand in the east and the west at the same time over the prime meridian O'. Where time and latitude are measured from, then down to the National Maritime Museum ( free) then along to Greenwich Market, there is also a Wetherspoons in the town for eats and drinks.

Trip down the Thames, she has to see Trafalgar Square, down Whitehall see the changing of the guard (1100) the on to see the World's most famous Clock.

Kings Cross to see and get your picture taken with the trolly at platform 9 3/4, then over to see what they have done with St. Pancras.

Mrs loved The Lakes, she also loved Edinburgh.

She wasnt impressed with OT, we were there for a wedding reception, there was nothing for her to steal, no ashtrays or glasses with the MU crest on them.

The beer was overpriced Bud crap lager and Warrington bitter, didnt know that crap was still sold.

She did enjoy the Coronation St tour, she keeps on to me about taking her to Emmerdale, she loves her soaps.

Agree with 10 days not enough, all I remember is pubs and motorways and crashing at friends places.

Concur with the mama noodles, at least the mrs can eat and enjoy Indian food, Thai food in the UK is overpriced and bland.

From Stratford go to Bidford and take road South towards Honeybourne. Just West of here find the village of Bretforton and enjoy a drink in the very old fashioned The Fleece Inn which has never been refurbished so retains its ancient feel.

Then South to Broadway a very popular tourist town with some fine Cotswold Stone houses at its North, cul-de-sac end. Visit or stay overnight at the Hare and Hounds pub / expensive B&B.

Then take Cheltenham road South and after 10 minutes turn left in to the lovely Cotswold village of Stanton and just drive until you end up at The Mount Inn that overlooks this quiet, pretty village with spectacular long distance views towards The Malvern Hills.

Then continue South to Upper and Lower Slaughter villages before another very popular tourist town, Bourton on the Water.

With other local places of interest like Evesham, Winchcombe, Moreton in the Marsh and Stow on the Wold this should satisfy your 1 or 2 Days in Midlands with Warwick and Stratford.