Update - driver's license renewal - Phuket only

Somtamnication

merijn: how about you don't come up with rules what other people are supposed to be able to do?

If someone loves riding motorbike XYZ, which is not for rent in Thailand or doesn't like renting and he loves to come to Chiang Mai once a year to ride it around the mountains, his only choice is to buy it.

Even if he rides it only for 2 weeks a year. Who are you to tell him he can't do that? And why should you then be allowed to?

This is not even a made up story. I know someone who actually has 5 bikes parked in Thailand and takes them for a spin maybe twice a year when he goes up north.

In general what would be the point of restricting people in terms of motorized travel if they have the means, necessary qualification and physical/mental condition for it? Jealousy?

Perfectly well possible on home license.

Have you actually ever tried buying a big bike on a home license?

DL is not important or even required to buy a bike. (i'm never asked for a DL when i bought a bike and car)

As long you have the Certificate of Residence there is no issue to buy one.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A genuine tourist doesn't need a Thai DL at all as they are supposed to use their home DL in combination with a IDP.

In my opinion tourist on a !5/30 day VOA or TR60 tourist visa should be banned from applying a Thai DL or buying a car/bike.

There is no need to buy a car when you on a short holiday.

For sure anyone on a VOA (30 day stamp) cannot get a Certificate of residence to support a Thai DL or vehicle purchase.

I wish this would true but Phuket issues Certificate of Residence to everybody regardless of (non) visa status.

That may change if the charging 300 Bt per certificate scam is stomped on. They're supposed to be free.

Did my last two Certificates at Patong. One in January and one about 10 days ago. Both free.