Update - driver's license renewal - Phuket only

Somtamnication

My 5 year driver license expired today and I plan to go to DVLC tomorrow. So I was checking back through old posts on this subject.

This item caught my attenion ... "Certificate of residence from immigration OR work permit copies that are valid for at least 6 months". I plan to use my WP but it's only valid for 4 months. Anyone have any more information on this 6 months comment. Seems unlikely to me, a valid WP should be acceptable in my opinion.

Also seems that a Medical is not required, easy enough for me to pop down to Dr Cusak and pay 100 baht, but is that really necesssary.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update - at last this morning I struggled over to the DVLC. Arrived 08.35 to see a long line waiting out the door and down the ramp. Only one lady checking the paperwork before issuing a number. Most folks checked in short time but some foreigner's paperwork took at least 5 minutes per person. My paperwork accepted in short order (no medical asked), no queue ticket given , just told to goto room 7 for eye tests. What a zoo in there, just full of people, one tester who was overwhelmed. Hardly looked up to check the alignment test and traffic light colour test. One guy just kept on saying red even when it was green, myself and the Thai guy next to me both burst out laughing, the tester gave us a steely look and passed the guy anyway. Many older folks had big trouble with the alignment test technology (I include myself in the older category smile.png. Many had to be coached but still passed. My turn about 09.50. Told to goto video room 1 for 10.00 screening.

Thai class in front running late so we not start until 10.20. Video dealt with Thai traffic laws, all in Thai with English sub titles. Boring boring. The lady officer jumped in about 11.20, stopped the video, declaring she wanted to go for her lunch. Told us there were many Thai people waiting for their licence photo and issue so we should come back at 13.00 where we would all (about 8 of us) be dealt with first.

So back at 13.00, called up about 13.10 to pay 760 Baht (380 per license), wait again til 13.20 for photo (another 110 baht per license). Out the door by 13.30.

A brief note to say that the renewal can be applied for up to 3 months in advance. A lady officer briefed the class on this point and made clear that it was illegal to drive after license expired. But the upside is that I got almost a 6 year validity given I waited a few days after my license expired.

^

Just talked with my wife about the photo charge. She tells me that the 110 baht is optional for the photo wallet. When she was in DVLC a month or so back for her international version of the Thai license, she was asked for the 110 baht, asked why, told was for the 'wallet', she declined, paid nothing more and was given the license in the plastic cover, but no 'plastic wallet'. Seems that this might be a bit of a scam ???

Just to add to that. The normal Thai license is good for all the ASEAN countries, but outside ASEAN an International version is required. I was told today by the officer that I could apply for the International Licence but it would only be valid for one year, so best wait until nearer the time I might plan to travel back to Europe.

You will probably not need an IDP, in UK e.g. Thai DL is valid, idp not required.

For Thai DL the photo charge is compulsory, no idea about IDP.

My wife might argue with you on the photo charge. If I had know earlier today I would have asked more about the 110 baht extra charge. I really don't know, but I would like to know more about this photo charge, hence I throw it out there on the forum for discussion. Yes, it's only 110 baht (or 220 baht for me with car and m/bike licenses) but I just hate paying for anything that is an 'option' and adds little value.

And yes I got a little 'wallet' for each license, never had that 5 years ago, mind you I did not pay any photo charge 5 years ago.

Update// just looked at the receipts. The Car license was 505 baht, m/bike was 255 baht, and both on official government receipts. The photo receipt was only 100 baht (93.46 + 6.54 tax) each on just a standard till receipt, so I don't know where the 220 baht asked came from .... silly me for not checking. Something very odd here ...

You will probably not need an IDP, in UK e.g. Thai DL is valid, idp not required.

For Thai DL the photo charge is compulsory, no idea about IDP.

My wife might argue with you on the photo charge. If I had know earlier today I would have asked more about the 110 baht extra charge. I really don't know, but I would like to know more about this photo charge, hence I throw it out there on the forum for discussion. Yes, it's only 110 baht (or 220 baht for me with car and m/bike licenses) but I just hate paying for anything that is an 'option' and adds little value.

And yes I got a little 'wallet' for each license, never had that 5 years ago, mind you I did not pay any photo charge 5 years ago.

Update// just looked at the receipts. The Car license was 505 baht, m/bike was 255 baht, and both on official government receipts. The photo receipt was only 100 baht (93.46 + 6.54 tax) each on just a standard till receipt, so I don't know where the 220 baht asked came from .... silly me for not checking. Something very odd here ...

Photo charge has been in place 10+ years, ever since they changed from bring your own to doing it on the spot.

They charge 10 Baht for the photo wallet if you want one. I use the same one I got on my previous renewal. As LIK says the 6 year thing works but you take a risk driving without a valid licence & insurance will not cover in the event of accident.

Tell me it's not the 4 hour video again. Please just tell me that...

What 4 hour video, it's barely one hour. Mind you it's so boring it might feel lie 4 hours.

The sound quality is so poor I missed large parts of it. When the woman came in to turn it off I asked a question which was ignored.

I have a new passport, I suppose I should leap through all the hoops as above and get my DL number updated, but, nah. No way am I subjecting myself to Thai bureaucracy of at all avoided.

Somtum & Steven are correct apart from the monkey comment which IMO is derogatory to say the least. All the staff I have dealt with downstairs, including for 90 day report, have always been polite & helpful. I was asked to pay 300 for the certificate of residence but when I said no she checked & said never mind you have registered previously.

I was asked to pay 300 for the certificate of residence but when I said no she checked & said never mind you have registered previously.

They always have to cover their face on this blatantly illegal request. For me last time when I insisted no charge " Oh I have to check if it is OK "

Passes the paperwork to the desk behind who passes it to the desk that does it. " Oh, this time OK"

• 1 month later...

A brief note to say that the renewal can be applied for up to 3 months in advance. A lady officer briefed the class on this point and made clear that it was illegal to drive after license expired. But the upside is that I got almost a 6 year validity given I waited a few days after my license expired.

Hmmm. That's interesting. I thought the earliest you could renew was 1 month before the licence expired or you risked getting another 1 year (or is it 2 year now?) licence.

If it's 3 months I might try and go tomorrow and get it over with. Thanks for the update :)

Hmmm. That's interesting. I thought the earliest you could renew was 1 month before the licence expired or you risked getting another 1 year (or is it 2 year now?) licence.

If it's 3 months I might try and go tomorrow and get it over with. Thanks for the update smile.png

Even if you are late renewing up to one year then there appears to be no penalty like start drive test procedure from scratch. Term of renewed license depends on visa type. If tourist visa then only one year (although I seem to remember some forum member might have talked about 2 years ??? no idea if that is correct) if non-imm or extension then 5 years.

Edited by LivinginKata

If it's 3 months I might try and go tomorrow and get it over with. Thanks for the update smile.png

Got a bit confused with this and mixed up renewing a 5 year licence and renew / upgrade a 1 year temp licence to 5 years.

From looking at the Thai DL site it seems a 1 year licence can be renewed up to 60 days before expiry and the 5 year licence up to 90.

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3486:2012-09-11-05-11-46&catid=131:2011-09-08-02-09-23&Itemid=88

Can confirm the 2 years for tourists too. No idea why they don't make these 5 years, just causes them more work...

You don't think two years is enough for a genuine tourist?

A genuine tourist which comes once or twice a year? No, it's not enough. It creates unnecessary work.

Or does he suddenly unlearn how to drive? Seriously, can you tell me one advantage of giving tourists 2 years instead 5?

What does an early expiration of the license get anyone? It's not like it costs money to keep it valid.

Can confirm the 2 years for tourists too. No idea why they don't make these 5 years, just causes them more work...

A genuine tourist which comes once or twice a year? No, it's not enough. It creates unnecessary work.

Or does he suddenly unlearn how to drive? Seriously, can you tell me one advantage of giving tourists 2 years instead 5?

What does an early expiration of the license get anyone? It's not like it costs money to keep it valid.

A genuine tourist doesn't need a Thai DL at all as they are supposed to use their home DL in combination with a IDP.

In my opinion tourist on a !5/30 day VOA or TR60 tourist visa should be banned from applying a Thai DL or buying a car/bike.

There is no need to buy a car when you on a short holiday.

A genuine tourist doesn't need a Thai DL at all as they are supposed to use their home DL in combination with a IDP.

In my opinion tourist on a !5/30 day VOA or TR60 tourist visa should be banned from applying a Thai DL or buying a car/bike.

IDP is not required. If they stay longer than 3 months a Thai DL is required.

For sure anyone on a VOA (30 day stamp) cannot get a Certificate of residence to support a Thai DL or vehicle purchase.

For sure anyone on a VOA (30 day stamp) cannot get a Certificate of residence to support a Thai DL or vehicle purchase.
Depends on the immigration office. On Phuket it is possible, and there is always the embassy route.

I wish this would true but Phuket issues Certificate of Residence to everybody regardless of (non) visa status.

I wish this would true but Phuket issues Certificate of Residence to everybody regardless of (non) visa status.

That may change if the charging 300 Bt per certificate scam is stomped on. They're supposed to be free.

merijn: how about you don't come up with rules what other people are supposed to be able to do?

If someone loves riding motorbike XYZ, which is not for rent in Thailand or doesn't like renting and he loves to come to Chiang Mai once a year to ride it around the mountains, his only choice is to buy it.

Even if he rides it only for 2 weeks a year. Who are you to tell him he can't do that? And why should you then be allowed to?

This is not even a made up story. I know someone who actually has 5 bikes parked in Thailand and takes them for a spin maybe twice a year when he goes up north.

In general what would be the point of restricting people in terms of motorized travel if they have the means, necessary qualification and physical/mental condition for it? Jealousy?

merijn: how about you don't come up with rules what other people are supposed to be able to do?

If someone loves riding motorbike XYZ, which is not for rent in Thailand or doesn't like renting and he loves to come to Chiang Mai once a year to ride it around the mountains, his only choice is to buy it.

Even if he rides it only for 2 weeks a year. Who are you to tell him he can't do that? And why should you then be allowed to?

This is not even a made up story. I know someone who actually has 5 bikes parked in Thailand and takes them for a spin maybe twice a year when he goes up north.

In general what would be the point of restricting people in terms of motorized travel if they have the means, necessary qualification and physical/mental condition for it? Jealousy?

Perfectly well possible on home license.

Hello All,

(sorry, didn't read through ALL the posts on this thread)

So to be clear - are the requirements for the renewal of a 1 year Thai DL the same as a 5 year???

So the same documents required as the kind member posted on post 1 of page 1 of this thread?

Or are there additional requirements?

Thanks,

FC

Have you actually ever tried buying a big bike on a home license?

Have you actually ever tried buying a big bike on a home license?
There is no connection at all between the license and the buying of a vehicle.