<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

44 to the baht?? You're dreaming, pal.

The dollar's in one of its final flourishes before the world can no longer ignore the fact that it's nothing more than printed Andrex toilet paper.

Next round of quantitative easing is closer than you think so I'd convert what I could right now if I were you

presently 87% of my liquid financial assets are denominated in USD and i wish i had a lot more of that printed toilet paper.

by the way... expressions such as "final flourishes" i hear since Nixon abandoned the gold convertibility and that was nearly 44 years ago.

yawnnnnn... coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJARfU4 alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

I could respect your complacency if you'd been in Swiss francs

Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it WON'T happen.

Unless of course, you think the Fed is done printing money biggrin.png

Watching XE and the Baht is hoovering close to 33 to 1 USD Amazing See solid 33 by friday then better moving forward to 44 to 1 USD I hope

The Fed would like to raise rates which might produce some more dollar appreciation, but Baht 44 is unlikely.

In any event I doubt the baht is Hoovering ... that's what you do with a vacuum cleaner.

The dollar's in one of its final flourishes before the world can no longer ignore the fact that it's nothing more than printed Andrex toilet paper.

Next round of quantitative easing is closer than you think so I'd convert what I could right now if I were you

What do you think the Euro is operating on?

Interest rates are on the way. QE is a dead issue now.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

presently 87% of my liquid financial assets are denominated in USD and i wish i had a lot more of that printed toilet paper.

by the way... expressions such as "final flourishes" i hear since Nixon abandoned the gold convertibility and that was nearly 44 years ago.

yawnnnnn... coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJARfU4 alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

Many informed people think the FED is going to print LESS money, which might already be enough to see the USD appreciate significantly.

Then the USD increases 2 ways? Interest rates are coming soon. I can't wait.

Got lots of cash waiting for the stock market to dive too.

I doubt all of this will happen soon. I couldn't get that lucky but I am certain to increase my portfolio a fair amount.

• Like 1

my complacency as an investor has been always based on one thing, namely the only thing that counts and that is the result the bottom line shows. major currencies do not crash overnight. there is always ample time to switch assets whether it's class or currency denomination.

laugh.png

You're believing what the machine is telling you but anyone who follows economic data knows the Fed won't hike meaningfully when all the main economic data is pointing to a marked slowdown in 2015.

Check retail sales, Chicago PMI, manufacturing output, mortgage applications, consumer credit - ALL down sharply even with oil prices tanking since June last year

Employment is silver lining but most jobs are low-paying service sector retail, burger flippers, mop slingers - don't pay enough to fund mortgages or buy Teslas

QE should be back by year end or early 2016

• Like 1

"Next round of quantitative easing is closer than you think..."

Janet Yellen, you're not.

"oil prices tanking since June last year"

Apparently, you are unaware that oil prices have increased substantially.

Edited by hhgz

Oil prices have increased substantially? WTI just went below US$43 yesterday.

• Like 1

laugh.png

You're believing what the machine is telling you but anyone who follows economic data knows the Fed won't hike meaningfully when all the main economic data is pointing to a marked slowdown in 2015.

Check retail sales, Chicago PMI, manufacturing output, mortgage applications, consumer credit - ALL down sharply even with oil prices tanking since June last year

Employment is silver lining but most jobs are low-paying service sector retail, burger flippers, mop slingers - don't pay enough to fund mortgages or buy Teslas

QE should be back by year end or early 2016

Cypress, are you an American? You may be right on most of your points, but you're forgetting that it's all relative. The US is much, much better off than most of Europe. The US may be looking to raise interest rates in the near term if for nothing else, just to have a tool to use in the case of a recession (i.e., be able to lower rates in the future). The US is moving towards a more service economy true, but being a net oil exporter in the future will have a dramatic impact going forward. Again, I'm not saying the US is perfect by any means. We've got mounting debt, stagnant wages, growing inequality, etc., but again, the US is better off than most other developed nations.

^^ What Berhshire said...oil price continues to trend down. And for the month of March it's taking another dive down...other than a two week recovery in mid Feb it actually started another downward trend in mid Feb....see below three month chart.

post-55970-0-78159600-1426649735_thumb.j

Edited by Pib

Citibank recently predicted/forecast (aka "guessed") that the Baht would be at 35 to the US Dollar by (as I recall) the end of 2015. They have also forecast that the Euro will be at 80 to the Dollar by 2017. If they are correct and the 35 figure continues, that will put the Euro at about 28.27 Baht (from its current 34.89) by 2017. So, while it may be seem bad now, the best guess is, I think, that it will get worse for the Euro. I also think that 35 is a realistic target for the US Dollar. Anything above 36 (unless civil war breaks out in Thailand (or the Fed raises the discount rate to 5%, both equally likely IMO) is not.

Got lots of cash waiting for the stock market to dive too.

I doubt all of this will happen soon. I couldn't get that lucky but I am certain to increase my portfolio a fair amount.

Google Spreadsheets allows you to lookup stock and currency prices (via Google Finance) for arbitrary dates.

So you can build a spreadsheet with your fictive portfolio, had you invested your cash when they became available for investing, and then compare this strategy (“time in the market”) with your actual strategy (“timing the market”).

I think you’ll find that “time in the market” is generally the winning strategy; and listening to the experts, timing the market is pretty difficult, sure you can say that the market has taken a dive of 10% after the fact, but are you sure this is a local minimum, or will it fall further?

Erm, yeah . . .whatever you say. You DO realise it's 2015, not 2009, right?

Cypress, are you an American? You may be right on most of your points, but you're forgetting that it's all relative. The US is much, much better off than most of Europe. The US may be looking to raise interest rates in the near term if for nothing else, just to have a tool to use in the case of a recession (i.e., be able to lower rates in the future). The US is moving towards a more service economy true, but being a net oil exporter in the future will have a dramatic impact going forward. Again, I'm not saying the US is perfect by any means. We've got mounting debt, stagnant wages, growing inequality, etc., but again, the US is better off than most other developed nations.

Yes it is all relative but that doesn't mean the Fed can afford to raise interest rates when the economy is closer to recession than is generally accepted. Being a net oil exporter is pie in the sky and a hell of a lot of things have to happen before that happens; not least a complete lifting of the ban on US oil exports which has been in force for a "little while" now. thumbsup.gif

America APPEARS to be better off than Europe but that's only because it's much further along the road than Europe in terms of QE. It's 7 years since the GFC and although the Fed's thrown trillions at the economy, it's never really gotten off the launchpad. All it's succeeded in doing is creating bubbles in stocks and bonds

This cycle is nearly complete and there's going to be an almighty bang

America will be fine...for a couple of years....they might even hike rates back to 1.5% or so....then they will slow and enter a new recession and we will see rate cuts again and more QE.

The pandoras box of QE is open, the central bankers have tasted the heroin and they like it. The feckless and ignorant voters now know it exists and will demand it. And thats just the democracies. The non democracies will do it because they've seen the democracies do it.

I am not in the end of fiat currency camp,but im certainly no gold bug and think we could see it fall another 30%. but i don't want a load of fiat currency sitting earning nothing, just waiting for the next wave of debasement.

So its Hobson's choice, meaning there are no good choices, they've been eradicated by central bank madness.

Its cash or stock or bonds or commodities but bonds don't give much and commodities yield nothing so its stocks. I forgot property, but then you become a sitting duck for taxation.

The value of fiat currencies will fluctuate against one another, including the THB, which is due for a little debasement of its own. But playing a game of chasing the best performing fiat currency is hard to win. So the best strategy has to be to get out of all of them apart from a few years spending money. Don't worry about denomination, japan shows that and so does europe.

Edited by paddyjenkins

I normally come to one of these threads for a laugh - the old 44 baht to the dollar perennial is always good for a chuckle - but it's actually one of my audio forums that really left me shaking my head this week. One of the threads contains an impassioned plea from a European who feels that one US audio company 'doesnt understand how tough things are in the EU' and wants the price of an amplifier reduced to the January sticker. At first I thought he had to be joking but it soon became obvious that he was completely serious - he wanted special pricing for European customers till they sort out their economic woes. Priceless.

Perhaps Harley-Davidson owners in Thailand can make a similar plea to Milwaukee to stop charging an arm and a leg for their motorcycles ? ;)

I normally come to one of these threads for a laugh - the old 44 baht to the dollar perennial is always good for a chuckle - but it's actually one of my audio forums that really left me shaking my head this week. One of the threads contains an impassioned plea from a European who feels that one US audio company 'doesnt understand how tough things are in the EU' and wants the price of an amplifier reduced to the January sticker. At first I thought he had to be joking but it soon became obvious that he was completely serious - he wanted special pricing for European customers till they sort out their economic woes. Priceless.

Perhaps Harley-Davidson owners in Thailand can make a similar plea to Milwaukee to stop charging an arm and a leg for their motorcycles ? wink.png

Maybe that European was Greek.

• Like 2

Perhaps Harley-Davidson owners in Thailand can make a similar plea to Milwaukee to stop charging an arm and a leg for their motorcycles ? wink.png

there is a number of precedence cases where this was done. i remember when living in Florida and the Canadian Dollar got really weak vs. USD, Florida hotels offered special discounts to Canadian snowbirds to compensate the CAD weakness.

the Japanese are masters in this respect. since decades they sell an identical product in different countries at different prices according to purchase power. some multinantional bank currency-@nals even use these prices for currency forecasts.