Why are motorbike taxis much more expensive in Pattaya than Bangkok?

infinity11

Even Thais don't do that much better than the farang rates. They complain about taxi fees a lot.

That's true. For instance, From Pattaya Central to Jomtien Beach it's 100 Baht, which is fair in my opinion. Often enough Thais pay 150 Baht for the same route. So, better negotiate up in front. On the flip side i don't understand why so many Thais don't use the Bahttaxis. Particular the ladys prefer the motorcycle taxis.

• Like 1

50% higher at least for the same distance or shorter.

Do you have examples to compare ?

The official price policy is displayed at most motorbike station,

so you should know exactly how much you should pay for your destination:

= 25 baht min for up 2 km + 5 baht per other km. Negociate first for long trips.

I've never paid more than 40B to go anywhere in Pattaya on a motorbike taxi

You must only do very very short trips ! Most official prices are well over 40 baht. rolleyes.gif

Here are examples of prices boards:

336.jpg

194.jpg

Could someone provide English translation?

• Like 1

Even Thais don't do that much better than the farang rates. They complain about taxi fees a lot.

That's true. For instance, From Pattaya Central to Jomtien Beach it's 100 Baht, which is fair in my opinion. Often enough Thais pay 150 Baht for the same route. So, better negotiate up in front. On the flip side i don't understand why so many Thais don't use the Bahttaxis. Particular the ladys prefer the motorcycle taxis.

Exactly, when a 10 baht song tau will do the same.

(rolling my eyes)

kikiat? (lazy)

It was always more expensive to buy a jacket in Pattaya. --Especially inner Pattaya--

When I lived there a bar worker (friend) told me it took many sick Buffalo's to get her brother one.

Edited by sanuk711

it is true that Pattaya is much more expensive. I lived before in Bangkok and can confirm this higher price in Pattaya. Less than 1 Km costs 30 baht, and this is not a Farang Price, thais pay the same price. Example: Soi Khaou Talo to Ford Sukhumvit 70 Baht, only about 2KM. Bangkok from IT Pratunam Center to Khaou San Road only 80 Baht but about 4-5 KM or more I think.

Pattaya has a strong Transport Mafia . Taxis very expensive too. No public government transportation options.

• Like 1

Motorbike taxi´s in Pattaya mainly cater to tourists, which there are plenty of, while motorbike taxi´s in Bangkok mainly cater to locals.

If your trip is not just up or down the soi in Bangkok, you will be charged the "Pattaya rate".

Edited by Xonax

Why in the name of common sense would anyone take a motorbike taxi when the baht bus does the job for 10 THB! or better yet, just walk.....?

Bhat busses arte good if you go along their route. Otherwise a motorbike taxi is usually cheaper.

• Like 1

It was always more expensive to buy a jacket in Pattaya. .

I thought that the government issued the motor bike taxi riders the orange jackets for free to stop the mafia selling or renting them. This was supposed to be the system from about December last year.

At my local rank in mid-Sukhumvit Bangkok, the boys all have the new jackets which are a sort of orange gauze body with black sleeves. Front and back there is a transparent pocket for the riders ID with photo.

Also at my local rank, in addition to the poster with the official prices, is another poster with photos of all the riders registered at that rank.

Official rate from my condo to BTS is 10 Baht.

Edited by Patanawet
  • Like 2

I was told by a fellow Farang in Pattaya it would cost me 100 Baht to go from A to B, I then asked the M/C taxi guy the cost, and he said 100 Baht, fine, but on the return journey from B back to A, I approached an M/C taxi guy, and he asked for 150 Baht, I said no, and we agreed 100 Baht.

He then took me a longer road, and when we got back to A he wanted 150 Baht, I gave him 100 Baht and he started shouting at me, insisting on another 50 Baht, he did not get it.

I was told by a fellow Farang in Pattaya it would cost me 100 Baht to go from A to B, I then asked the M/C taxi guy the cost, and he said 100 Baht, fine, but on the return journey from B back to A, I approached an M/C taxi guy, and he asked for 150 Baht, I said no, and we agreed 100 Baht.

He then took me a longer road, and when we got back to A he wanted 150 Baht, I gave him 100 Baht and he started shouting at me, insisting on another 50 Baht, he did not get it.

I have Never had a Problem with any motorbike Taxi, I had one guy in Bangkok not smile, but that's been it, 8 years in Patts or BKK
  • Like 2

The Pattaya rate is about 3-4 times more than the Bangkok rate. A long BKK soi run, under 1 km, to Sukhumvit is 10 baht, whereas something similar in Pattaya is 30-40.

Also, how many times do you see a rate card in English? Pretty much never.

it is quite interesting this one

Not to many (if any) MB taxi drivers will admit to the 25baht 2km fare at least that is my experience

The funny thing is I have my regular guys that I use - the fare they wanted in the beginning was 30 baht and I always gave them 40bahtmaking the point of saying "10baht tip"

As time went by I just handed them the 40baht and say nothing

One night I was going home (sub 2km) and only had 30 baht change so I handed it to him - well the look on his face followed by a demand for 40baht which actually made me quite annoyed, so I said the fare should be 25baht and that he had got a 5baht tip and walked off into my apartment.

The next time I was on my way out (walking) I stopped to chat to the guys on the way past their rank - some of them speak good English and the guy was there from the previous night so I had a brief discussion about fares and the 25baht thing - none of them had any idea what I was talking about - never heard of it, as for the previous nights encounter I got one of the English speaking guys to explain very clearly that the sub 2km trip to my condo was not 40baht but 30baht and the automatic demand for 40baht was in fact a demand for a tip

You like to feel happy you are giving them a tip but it seems they just expect it so it is no longer a tip

I know trivial as it might sound but there are reasons why this is important, first most people here on holiday now think the standard fare is 40baht for all journeys (some are demanding 50baht) when in fact the standard fare is actually 25baht but regardless of that 30 baht used to be the norm and now it seems to be creeping up to 40baht and if allowed to continue this trend will see it going to 50baht (already happening) then 60baht, so a line needs to be drawn before it gets ridiculous, I am now back to saying for all my regular trips "30baht 10baht tip"

MB taxi drivers I don't know I ask them how much ? if they ask me for 50baht for a 2km trip I walk away

• Like 2

50% higher at least for the same distance or shorter.

Do you have examples to compare ?

The official price policy is displayed at most motorbike station,

so you should know exactly how much you should pay for your destination:

= 25 baht min for up 2 km + 5 baht per other km. Negociate first for long trips.

You must only do very very short trips ! Most official prices are well over 40 baht. rolleyes.gif

Here are examples of prices boards:

336.jpg

194.jpg

are those board for BKK or Pattaya - I notice at the bottom it looks like it's saying 25baht up to 2km then 5baht each additional Km or similar

• Like 1

the point of saying "10baht tip", I am now back to saying for all my regular trips "30baht 10baht tip"

This is the first time in living here for 12+ years that I've heard of anyone tipping a motor cycle taxi or a TukTuk.

The fare should be agreed on before the journey.

• Like 1