Minimum Passport Validity for UK

I have just been through the tedious process of getting a Visa for the UK for my wife, we plan to travel soon and will also go to Europe. For the Schengen countries they stipulate a minimum of three months passport validity after planned return. That got me thinking, does the UK have a similar requirement. Just like the Visa application process where no information is given, I can find no information on this either. Does anyone know the correct answer.

The next thing is that if I want a Schengen then I need to get my wife a new passport, the Visa is in the current one, my understanding is that she should just carry the old and the new passport together, can anyone confirm that one?

Regards

Tim

There is no minimum time needed on the passport for the UK, but you are only allowed to stay whilst the passport is valid.

As you suggested it would be wise for your wife to renew her passport, it's quick and cheap. You are correct in your thinking that whilst the old passport may no longer be valid the visa inside it is, so yes, you carry both the new passport and the old one containing the visa.

You can actually get the visa transferred but it's expensive and not necessary.

• Like 1

There is no minimum time needed on the assport for the UK, but you are only allowed to stay whilst the passport is valid.

What do you mean by this? Leave to enter is granted within the currency of the visa conferring it. If the bearer's passport were to expire, for example, 3 months before expiry of the leave to enter the basis on which it was granted would not be affected and one would be still in the UK lawfully. Well, that's how I always understood it but maybe I've missed something.

Notwithstanding UKVI's bumf it posts in its version of what is or may be required, the law on which they would wish to base such a requirement simply does not exist, as far as I can see. The Immigration Act 1971 simply states that a valid national document should be produced which satisfactorily confirms the bearer's nationality and identity. I can find no amendment in which there is now a requirement imposed that a person subject to control should produce a document which is valid for the duration of any proposed grant of leave to enter.

Edited by Seekingasylum