Foreign Tourists Allegedly Dumped on Tollway by Thai Taxi

Lite Beer

Had a taxi driver who didn't know the way to Swampy, from Safari World and took 90 minutes in his beat up car with worn out seats and weak a/c, and finally when we got there I want him to take half the fare and he threatened to call police to which I started to leave before the Thai girl I was with told me to just give him the 300/ baht on the meter so we didn't miss our plane

Once I calmed down and realized I was fighting over $5.00/ difference, I gave him the 300/ baht, and let him know with facial expressions and several f curses that he was a lying filthy dog, who deserves his crappy life for cheating people

He understood, but, she was right and she had to plead with the counter clerk to let us in past the time cut off, by explaining we had an unscrupulous cabbie

One Thai GF I had , many years ago, told me she does not lower herself to their level by way of arguing with a taxi cab driver.

Of course sometimes you would have to argue with them if they are screwing you around or outright cheating you on the fare.

She told me what she would say to them is: OK...I understand now....you are from Isaan..right ??

Pom Kow Jai Laow....Koon Ben Khon Isaan...Chai Mi??

Cheers

Ah yes, great solution.

Prejudicial thinking by judging a whole region of the country to be less trustworthy than the rest.

Wonderful.

probably explains why she is an ex

• Like 1

And just how true is this story considering the source - can you just imagine a farang guy with wife and child in tow accepting a polite request (probably in Thai) to vacate a taxi on a motorway - yeah right something that happens everyday in Thailand.

Does this picture answer your question??attachicon.giftollway.jpg

No it doesn't - how / why did the guy and family leave the cab --- an armed threat of violence or did they do it from the goodness of their heart.

Would be interesting to hear the story from the passengers of the in's and out's

They were left on the tollway because the taxi driver went past their agreed destination, according to Facebook.

Since when is Facebook the gospel truth ?

Had a taxi driver who didn't know the way to Swampy, from Safari World and took 90 minutes in his beat up car with worn out seats and weak a/c, and finally when we got there I want him to take half the fare and he threatened to call police to which I started to leave before the Thai girl I was with told me to just give him the 300/ baht on the meter so we didn't miss our plane

Once I calmed down and realized I was fighting over $5.00/ difference, I gave him the 300/ baht, and let him know with facial expressions and several f curses that he was a lying filthy dog, who deserves his crappy life for cheating people

He understood, but, she was right and she had to plead with the counter clerk to let us in past the time cut off, by explaining we had an unscrupulous cabbie

One Thai GF I had , many years ago, told me she does not lower herself to their level by way of arguing with a taxi cab driver.

Of course sometimes you would have to argue with them if they are screwing you around or outright cheating you on the fare.

She told me what she would say to them is: OK...I understand now....you are from Isaan..right ??

Cheers

Ah yes, great solution.

Prejudicial thinking by judging a whole region of the country to be less trustworthy than the rest.

Wonderful.

Sure...same way Americans would say: OK ..I understand now...you are a Red Neck from Arkansas.

Sure..... the same way that Germans would say: OK.......I understand now...you are from Poland.

For example...just for your information.

All in good fun

Other than that....lighten up and take your meds.....lol

Cheers

Cheers

Ah yes, great solution.

Wonderful.

Sure...same way Americans would say: OK ..I understand now...you are a Red Neck from Arkansas.

Sure..... the same way that Germans would say: OK.......I understand now...you are from Poland.

For example...just for your information.

All in good fun

Other than that....lighten up and take your meds.....lol

Cheers

You think those examples make your argument better?

Maybe you should consider meds.

Edited by Bluespunk

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I love how the local lynch squad has crucified the taxi driver based on a single photo.

It could represent any of the following...

1.The male farang noticed they were going the wrong way...got upset and demanded to be let out.

2. The farangs noticed the fare was getting a bit higher than their low class hippie budget allowed for and asked to be let out.,

3. They declared to the driver they had no money ... the driver kicked them out. (Fair enough)

Or ... the current opinion...

4. The driver was an insane nutter...lost face missing the turn off, didn't care about lost money....kicked farangs out.

post-218648-0-32901500-1426860640_thumb.

I'm putting my money on number 2.

alt=blink.png>

Or the couple thought the taxidriver would pay the tollway, argued about that and then got out of the taxi/got kicked out.

I came back Thailand after a trip to the UK , got in about 1900h to Swampy .

Got a y/g taxi to home half an hour other side of Phetchaburi in the sticks Taxi man said 2000 bhat and i gave hime 2500 bhat,

he was very nice and the price was great , never had a problem in 17yrs .

And just how true is this story considering the source - can you just imagine a farang guy with wife and child in tow accepting a polite request (probably in Thai) to vacate a taxi on a motorway - yeah right something that happens everyday in Thailand.

True or not, who knows. But just saying, anything can be photo shopped.

• Like 1

I love how the local lynch squad has crucified the taxi driver based on a single photo.

1.The male farang noticed they were going the wrong way...got upset and demanded to be let out.

2. The farangs noticed the fare was getting a bit higher than their low class hippie budget allowed for and asked to be let out.,

3. They declared to the driver they had no money ... the driver kicked them out. (Fair enough)

4. The driver was an insane nutter...lost face missing the turn off, didn't care about lost money....kicked farangs out.

xpost-218648-0-32901500-1426860640_thumb

blink.png

It's quite strange that no one have spotted the VERY expensive backpack the man is carrying, not to mention the kids strap seat on the womans back, also pretty expensive.

Just for the heck off it, lets pretend we know something about them, they are going relive their youth by doing some island hopping and that you DON'T do with a suitcase or two.

The guy brought his very expensive guitar so the family could relive what they did 10-15 years ago, sitting on the beach playing guitar in the sunset.

When doing some island hopping, you DON'T wear a suit, that's kinda impractical, at least I wouldn't, in fact my wardrobe looks pretty much like the man in the picture, shorts, a t-shirt and light shoes. And that's how I dress everyday, even when I go to meetings with them customers wearing suits. Ok, that must mean I'm poor and a low life, don't you agree?

income and net worth have absolutely nothing to do with how your dressed, with the exception of quality footwear or formal events where your trying to impress.

the whole thai appearance things sounds good in throry, but its flawed.

Do not appear to angry for someone who has just been turfed out of a cab onto a busy motorway. But as none of us were there, we are all only guessing.

• Like 1

Anyone of the living can realize that the tourists were a-holes, shouting at the taxi driver whom not understanding decided to expel his passengers (unlike any taxi driver in USA who would physically throw you to the curb) rather than dealing with that poor white trash dialect.

Nonsense.

Got a y/g taxi to home half an hour other side of Phetchaburi in the sticks Taxi man said 2000 bhat and i gave hime 2500 bhat,

Of course you never had any problems if you overpay the trip with 50%..............

normal fare to Hua Hin, which is further, is about 16-1800 baht!!

blink.png

It's quite strange that no one have spotted the VERY expensive backpack the man is carrying, not to mention the kids strap seat on the womans back, also pretty expensive.

Just for the heck off it, lets pretend we know something about them, they are going relive their youth by doing some island hopping and that you DON'T do with a suitcase or two.

The guy brought his very expensive guitar so the family could relive what they did 10-15 years ago, sitting on the beach playing guitar in the sunset.

When doing some island hopping, you DON'T wear a suit, that's kinda impractical, at least I wouldn't, in fact my wardrobe looks pretty much like the man in the picture, shorts, a t-shirt and light shoes. And that's how I dress everyday, even when I go to meetings with them customers wearing suits. Ok, that must mean I'm poor and a low life, don't you agree?

income and net worth have absolutely nothing to do with how your dressed, with the exception of quality footwear or formal events where your trying to impress.

Then I'm very happy I don't have to impress anyone anymore. thumbsup.gif

Besides, I didn't tell how much my clothes or quality footwear costs, like you said, it's not about income or net worth and furthermore, I'm happy I don't have to deal with Thais in business, I don't think I would pass the first 30.

Taxi rates are dirt cheap here, I will always up the ante if I need to get someplace fast. Takes alot to get kickedout of a taxi in bk unless as I said you're (poor ignorant) white trash or you are just stubhorn classless white trash.

With your lingo and spelling, what are you?

Taxi rates are dirt cheap here, I will always up the ante if I need to get someplace fast. Takes alot to get kickedout of a taxi in bk unless as I said you're (poor ignorant) white trash or you are just stubhorn classless white trash.

Kimba, you have anger management and personal self esteem issues. Seek professional help.

• Like 2

Two new top quality English teachers arriving?

Only on ThaiV could a snide remark like that be a popular post. What is it with you guys and your attitude towards teachers?

not a teacher myself

• Like 1

I might be cynical but a few things just don't appear right. Look at the photo. Do they look like a family who has just been turfed out of a taxi, on to a busy tollway? Appear to be quite placid, actually not looking toward the alleged wayward driver, just acting in a very nonchalant manner, not one angry expression. Ask yourselves these questions. If you were the couple, in particular, the woman, and had a young child to care for, would you take what is alleged to have happened lying down? Would you not have taken details of the taxi and driver and reported the matter yourself? Please don't tell me they wouldn't know, there is information posted inside taxis for that specific purpose.

Consider what the expected facial expressions would be if this is what really happened? A lot different to what is depicted here. No one else in site, except the taxi, a couple of passing vehicles and the unseen, unidentified mystery photographer. Not even a photograph of the driver, or one that could properly identify the taxi. Plenty of opportunities, it was still stationary yet only the one exposure shown, which proves absolutely nothing.

So away go the Thai bashers; those who always respond in the negative; others who want to decry someone over a story that cannot be substantiated, just because they can, and all based on a Face Book post that could have been written by Fred Blogs for all we know. Why do people accept, as gospel, scenarios based on one person's alleged first hand knowledge; an unproven Face book post, and, at this time, no substantive proof from the alleged victims.

So let's ask? Who is this face book poster, Surachai Hiranpraditthakul? A person no one knows, yet many have accepted his word as fact. Who took the photo? How did he come by the photo? How does he have first hand knowledge of where these people initially entered the taxi and what their intended destination was. He even says that they hailed the taxi. How would he know this, he would have to it is usually downstairs at the rank where taxi's are allocated. Now, if they were to hail one, which can only be done on the upper level, how would he know this? How does he know that the driver missed the turn off and couldn't be bothered driving on to look for a U turn bay. It's a wonder he never told us the fare they allegedly paid, if any.

Who reported matter to EXAT? Certainly not the so called victims, as it states the allegations only surfaced after this person posted the photo on his Face Book page. So we now need to ask, why did he post and not the victims? Does he know these people? Was he with them when they hailed the taxi? Was he with them on the journey? If not, then can he explain how he came to have so much inside knowledge but if he was then why didn't offer assistance at the time? So given the storey, which is completely devoid of substantive information, then one could be forgiven for doubting its voracity.

Since these allegations surfaced, have the alleged victims been traced? Have they spoken of their ordeal and pressed for the matter to be dealt with by EXAT? If not, then what bright spark in EXAT commences an investigation based on an unsubstantiated Face Book Post. No wonder people become disillusioned with the thinking of some people working within the Thai system.

Now, don't you members think that these questions need answering? If they are and substantial evidence comes to light that to prove this incident occurred, then so be it but until then the whole scenario should be treated as highly dubious. In addition, we all know how many scandalous and unproven stories are posted on social media sites, which is yet another reason not to take these allegations seriously.

• Like 1

Of course you never had any problems if you overpay the trip with 50%..............

normal fare to Hua Hin, which is further, is about 16-1800 baht!!

With all due respect, cheapest I have paid is 2000 from Novotel downtown. Had cramped car. Usually 2500 in proper saloon car and it is preboked. AoT tries to get 5,000-7,000 baht when you are walkup. The VIP express bus is 305 baht and I find better than a car.

With your lingo and spelling, what are you?

A bigot.

• Like 2

blink.png

Do not appear to angry for someone who has just been turfed out of a cab onto a busy motorway. But as none of us were there, we are all only guessing.

If you would have read any of the posts before, you would understand, that the yellow car in the righthand corner, is a new taxi, that is picking them up.

Funny, they seemed to be calm, picking up their luggage and getting into that cab, without swearing and flipping the bird, huh?!

...some people...

• Like 2

Why do farang think badly of Thailand ... This is the answer. Too much disrespect coming from Thais toward farang. .....

Ha ha ha....

The word "Farang" itself confirms that already as it is not used tot talk in a positive and respectfull way about foreigners in Thailand. It feels to me like a swear word when i hear Thai people talk about "Farangs"

Then try to change that feeling for your own benefit because it is not meant derogatorily and is not a swear word. The word is in no way unique to Thailand and has been used like we use Caucasian or White to describe people of European origin for very a long time and in many countries. A look in a Thai dictionary confirms this where Farang is defined as 'a white person of European ancestry', no mention of any connotation. The word appears to have origin in the Franks, the Germanic tribe who conquered much of Europe and who France is named after.

The problem which you are very entitled to have is just how the word is used, it is rude in my opinion to refer to someone by their race rather than their name and I find that many Thais have no problem with this. I often hear women refer to their own husbands as "The Farang" while they talk with their friends. That is just plain disrespectful but perhaps that is their intention.

Nevertheless we are Farangs in Thailand, that is just the Thai language, so it is best just to understand that then get upset over it.

Anyone of the living can realize that the tourists were a-holes, shouting at the taxi driver whom not understanding decided to expel his passengers (unlike any taxi driver in USA who would physically throw you to the curb) rather than dealing with that poor white trash dialect.

Boring day under your bridge?

I generally have pretty good luck with Taxi's, but I don't mess with them if they don't want to go to a certain destination. I just get another one. A number of years ago, however, my elderly parents were visiting and we took a taxi to a popular tourist destination. About 1/2 way there the traffic was bad and the taxi driver just told us to 'get out' as he decided he didn't want to go there. It was a rather unpleasant experience.

Recently, I had one that 'decided' he had a low tire and didn't want to take me to my destination after we were enroute. He was a lot nicer, however, as he flagged down another taxi for me and didn't charge me for the distance that we had gone.

Leaving anyone on the expressway is pretty unforgivable, but parents with a child and luggage should result in legal prosecution.

In 2002, I caught a cab in Bangkok to take me to Bang Bua Thong in Nontaburi Privince. I had made that trip many times before and it is about 24 km. I always tip 200 Baht for that far out. Well, this one driver began complaining that we were going too far and eventually, about 2 km short of my destination, he pulled over to the side of the road and said he wasn't going farther. I told him, in no uncertain terms, that he WOULD take me the rest of the way or he would get no pay at all (I didn't relish walking 2 km late at night). We had a two-minute stand-off, glaring at each other, before he grudgingly finished the trip. I tipped him as if he hadn't been an ass. A contract is a contract and he knew the distance before he agreed. I write it off to laziness. Don't mess with Texas!

I wonder if you remember the Guy who was recently hacked to death by a taxi driver?

Surely you know that in a Farang v Thai fight, Thais in large numbers will appear to inflict as much damage as possible to the Farang.

Just the thing a man wants to inflict on his family,

presumably at the start of their holiday?

Sometimes, it's the one with the bigger balls that does a walk away!

• Like 1

Has anyone considered that this could be the fault of the tourists? Maybe the tourists refused to pay the highway toll, because they thought that the taxi driver was cheating them. Not everyone knows that they are supposed to pay the toll themselves, and not the driver. The story about the driver missing a turn, and not wanting to turn back seems a little far fetched.

Rasmus, are you Thai??

Blaming the victims and all that........................coffee1.gif

I am not Thai, and the same thought crossed my mind. I could easily see tensions escalating in the taxi - tired tourists, tired driver, language barrier... It is entirely possible that the tourist got frustrated and said "pull over and let us out!". It is also possible that the tourist got so upset at the missed exit that he became very impolite and upset the driver.

Who knows? The photo tells us little.

Hard to say what will set off a taxi driver. I had a Thai taxi driver ask me a long

time ago if I liked Thaksin. I said he was the worst thing that ever happened

to Thailand . He instantly brought the cab to a stop and ordered me out. He

was so angry he did not even ask for the fare on the meter. So from that point

forward I avoid political conversations with hot tempered taxi drivers... :-)