Prime Minister: VAT increase must wait until economy improves

Lite Beer

Prime Minister: VAT increase must wait until economy improves

BANGKOK, 21 March 2015 (NNT) – Any raising of the value added tax (VAT) would have to wait until the economy improves, and it would take slightly more than two years for the land and building tax to be implemented, according to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha.

General Prayut said after hosting a meeting on Friday that implementation of new VAT collection measures will need to be delayed until the economy improves. He also spoke of the proposal calling for only land tax to be collected, instead of the collection of both land and building taxes. Gen. Prayut expressed the belief that both taxes needed to be pursued, and understanding needs to be fostered with the public over the new taxes.

The prime minister asserted the government needs to proceed with the bill on land and building tax. However, it would likely take a little more than two years before the law can be put into use. Gen. Prayut expects this would take place some time in 2017.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-03-22 footer_n.gif

In Australia if they wanted to introduce a new tax it would take all of two minutes to implement, and then they would probably backdate it.

I like the Thai way, take your time, nice and easy, get the feel for it, no rush............................biggrin.png

VAT and any kind of sales taxes are known as "regressive" because they take a disproportionate amount of money from the poor, those least able to pay. Anyone suggesting hitting Thailand's poor even harder is a criminal and should be arrested and tried for crimes against humanity.

Yes, I feel strongly about this matter.

"Gen. Prayut expects this [land & building tax] would take place some time in 2017."

And so Prayut's regime joins all the previous elected and unelected governments in deferring any tax that affects the wealthy. No tax reform here.

First it was land tax or VAT. Now both rescinded. Paper tiger.

And inheritance tax and and and.

They can't find away to tax the wealthy but can lump it on the poorest. these people are disgusting. No one pays income tax and there is no property tax.

Corrupt country with a corrupt junta.

Let's hope the economy doesn't improve then.

Why more tax ? Last time oil was this cheap (2009) , we payed 22 B/l diesel , now it is 27 B ? Who is pocketing this money?

I remember paying 12 Baht/Litre way back in 2001 smile.png

Let's hope the economy doesn't improve then.

Why more tax ? Last time oil was this cheap (2009) , we payed 22 B/l diesel , now it is 27 B ? Who is pocketing this money?

I remember paying 12 Baht/Litre way back in 2001 smile.png

Sure , but how low was the oil price in 2001 ? Just after I bought my car in 2007 , I bought diesel in chonburi at 18,5 B/l (still have a photo of it somewhere on HDD).

I remember filling my rented Honda motorbike in Phuket in '97 @ 12 B/l for 95 oct gasoline , you know ...when gasoline was still gasoline , not the mixed crap they sell now.

Edited by BuaBS