Phuket beach clubs told, 'Get out in 30 days'

webfact

Phuket beach clubs told, 'Get out in 30 days'
Nattapat Tuarob

1427100622_1-org.jpg
An official pins an eviction notice to one of the remaining restaurants.

PHUKET: -- All 39 restaurants, clubs and other businesses still operating along Surin Beach must close down and quit their premises by April 18.

Eviction notices signed by Ma-Ann Samran, Chief of the Cherngtalay Administrative Organisation (OrBorTor), have been pinned to each business block along the walkway, including the international known Catch Beach Club and its sister Bimi Beach Club.

“The notice gives them 30 days to quit the buildings. If they disagree and want to appeal, they can do so within 15 days; that’s their right according to the regulations,” Veera Kerdsirimongkol, Thalang District Chief, told The Phuket News.

Any appeal must be submitted to the OrBorTor, accompanied by proof that the businesses have the legal right to continue operating on public land.

“The buildings cannot not be torn down because they are government property, built by the Phuket Provincial Administration Organisation (OrBorJor) and the OrBorTor.

“After the current business operators leave, we will manage the buildings and allocate them to those who affected by the current beach reorganisation, such as massage therapists and beverage sellers, or we will turn them into something for public use,” he added.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-beach-clubs-told-get-out-in-30-days-51541.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-03-23

Thai logic again.................

If they can't demolish the buildings but allocate to other people to run, why don't they leave them to the current occupiers and ask them for a certain rent?

May be my logic is wrong..............as usualsad.png

Close by the 18th April or...........you will get another warning.

These buildings were built by the Or Bor Tor for temporary housing for tsunami victims.

They weren't meant to be permanent, or, have businesses within them.

Of course, we all know why they ended up as they are........

Thai logic again.................

If they can't demolish the buildings but allocate to other people to run, why don't they leave them to the current occupiers and ask them for a certain rent?

May be my logic is wrong..............as usualsad.png

if they leave the original occupiers in they'll be rewarding illegal occupation which is what most of the complaints have been for

Perhaps Ma-Ann Samran (Chief of the OrBorTor) could explain how these businesses came to occupy buildings constructed by the OrBorTor.

It never ceases to amaze me that "journalists" here never ask the obvious questions during press conferences and interviews.

Perhaps Ma-Ann Samran (Chief of the OrBorTor) could explain how these businesses came to occupy buildings constructed by the OrBorTor.

It never ceases to amaze me that "journalists" here never ask the obvious questions during press conferences and interviews.

It's obvious. He was receiving a large number of big fat envelopes. It pleases me that Ma-Ann Samran has the dilemma of the public facade and the worry about how he can continue his black income.

Perhaps I am going against the general feeling here but I would suggest that the current occupants should have the opportunity to remain.

Surin Beach is what it is and is known for these beach clubs and upmarket establishments. People don't go to Surin for peace, quiet and solitude but there are plenty of places nearby where they can find this (jet-skis excluded in some places of course).

The one caveat: make them pay a proper rent that goes to the right place, that can be used to improve facilities in general in the vicinity. These clubs cost millions to build, they can afford it. Whether this is possible on this island is a distinct doubt!

I'm of the opinion that the beaches don't all have to look the same. Surin has become a bit different. It's popular with the hi-so/quality crowd that the Government so craves.

A reallocation of the buildings to those affected by the current beach reorganisation will probably mean plenty in kickbacks and a totally disorganised mess at the back of the beach.

"Hey, we stole this beach fair and square! What about our children?They'll starve without these businesses!"

Having watched this drama go from massive encroachment to now, throwing the bums out, I couldn't be happier. Good riddance.

Perhaps I am going against the general feeling here but I would suggest that the current occupants should have the opportunity to remain.

Surin Beach is what it is and is known for these beach clubs and upmarket establishments. People don't go to Surin for peace, quiet and solitude but there are plenty of places nearby where they can find this (jet-skis excluded in some places of course).

The one caveat: make them pay a proper rent that goes to the right place, that can be used to improve facilities in general in the vicinity. These clubs cost millions to build, they can afford it. Whether this is possible on this island is a distinct doubt!

I'm of the opinion that the beaches don't all have to look the same. Surin has become a bit different. It's popular with the hi-so/quality crowd that the Government so craves.

A reallocation of the buildings to those affected by the current beach reorganisation will probably mean plenty in kickbacks and a totally disorganised mess at the back of the beach.

This high end establishments have made millions of dollars and paying very minimal rent. Kiosks were meant to be there for local people to make a living from after the tsunami, not 5 star resorts to profit from.

You do realise this land was the old Surin golf course that the King owned and made into parkland.

The clubs have made enough profit and now it's time to go.

I see another drop in TATs "quality tourists"coming soon if it actually goes through. Keep the westerners out but bring in more Chinese... then complain about how disrespectful they are and wonder where all the quality tourists went.

Now now, asking awkward questions in Thailand isn't productive.

Look forward.........

“After the current business operators leave, we will manage the buildings and allocate them to those who affected by the current beach reorganisation, such as massage therapists and beverage sellers, or we will turn them into something for public use,” he added.'

Ahhh , wait long enough and all will be revealed!

Mayor Ma-ann no longer wants to return the land to its natural state eh?

Isnt demanding the total demolition and removal of the buildings any more , huh?

He has become "we" , and "we" will do something OR other with the places ,,,,,

Note the usual lack of 'A Plan' , and any suggestions of transparency or accountability !

hopefully a nice big public space wai2.gif

It's public space now - any member of the public can go there

Go on then - try to just go inside one of these places, set up a chair of your own and see what happens.

Is that your idea of 'public'?

I was in both of these places a few months ago and they were both empty apart from friday night in catch.The area seemed quiet to me compared to most major places down the road.

Compared to some of the mess in Koh samui i thought it was a well laid out area.

But if these places were not designed to be what they are and people are filling their pockets by paying cheap rent then it should be changed!

This high end establishments have made millions of dollars and paying very minimal rent. Kiosks were meant to be there for local people to make a living from after the tsunami, not 5 star resorts to profit from.

You do realise this land was the old Surin golf course that the King owned and made into parkland.

The clubs have made enough profit and now it's time to go.

"The clubs have made enough profit and now it's time to go." - there is no such thing as "made enough profit" in Thai culture. biggrin.png

Good, some are nasty people, thinking they are above everybody. I parked my bike 2 minutes to get a pic of the beach one of these beach place "owners", threatened me already. When I said that with a behavior like that, it would be the last place for me to have a meal, he answered, that he not care, he had money enough. Hope they go through with it, these are not "victims", but part of mafia.

It's obvious. He was receiving a large number of big fat envelopes. It pleases me that Ma-Ann Samran has the dilemma of the public facade and the worry about how he can continue his black income.

Thai journalists don't have the brains for being a real journalist. They only have a press card.

Don't worrie !

That ones which will applay again with BIG BIG envelopes, will get concession again !

Thai Airways can learn how to cash in !!

I'm sure you are aware that Thai culture dictates that you do not question your 'betters', and these people in authority are seen as such. There's your answer. Since schooldays, you listen and accept, You do not question what you are told.

Why Why is it there right to appeal,,,,They are illegally having buildings on the beach and illegally operating a business,,,,They have no rights,,,if the people have the right to appeal there is a good chance that the Government go soft cock again...

I know people from overseas (HK for example) who have bought property in Surin so they can be close to the beach and the action in the beach clubs! A friend of mine bought a restaurant there (Salt) and paid fair and square and had the purchase registered correctly and it seems now she's knackered and the mayors family will be taking it (along with the others too). I'd have to say that any foreign person thinking of investing one baht into Thailand need their brains testing.

. . . . A friend of mine bought a restaurant there (Salt) and paid fair and square and had the purchase registered correctly and it seems now she's knackered and the mayors family will be taking it (along with the others too). I'd have to say that any foreign person thinking of investing one baht into Thailand need their brains testing.

No, any foreign person thinking of investing in Thailand simply needs to be smart enough to perform proper due diligence.

What exactly did your friend buy? Land, building, equipment, furnishings and name, or just the equipment, furnishings and name along with a lease agreement for the premises.

If buying the land, then surely she would have examined the title deed first. If leasing the premises, then surely she would have ensured that whoever she's leasing from has the legal right to lease the property. Or maybe she didn't check these things.

If you were leasing an apartment from someone, wouldn't you want to be sure that the person you're leasing from is the actual owner, or has legal authority to lease the property out. Same goes for a business. Just common sense, really not specific to Thailand.

. . . . A friend of mine bought a restaurant there (Salt) and paid fair and square and had the purchase registered correctly and it seems now she's knackered and the mayors family will be taking it (along with the others too). I'd have to say that any foreign person thinking of investing one baht into Thailand need their brains testing.

No, any foreign person thinking of investing in Thailand simply needs to be smart enough to perform proper due diligence.

What exactly did your friend buy? Land, building, equipment, furnishings and name, or just the equipment, furnishings and name along with a lease agreement for the premises.

If buying the land, then surely she would have examined the title deed first. If leasing the premises, then surely she would have ensured that whoever she's leasing from has the legal right to lease the property. Or maybe she didn't check these things.

If you were leasing an apartment from someone, wouldn't you want to be sure that the person you're leasing from is the actual owner, or has legal authority to lease the property out. Same goes for a business. Just common sense, really not specific to Thailand.

"No, any foreign person thinking of investing in Thailand simply needs to be smart enough to perform proper due diligence." - how can one "perform due dilligence" when The Land Titles Office can, and do, make fake / forged "land titles" for a corrupt payment?

This is a 3rd World Country, and extremely corrupt, and you seriously think "due dilligence" here offers some security in purchase????