Phuket beach clubs told, 'Get out in 30 days'

webfact

This is a 3rd World Country, and extremely corrupt, and you seriously think "due dilligence" here offers some security in purchase????

I understand what you're saying, and agree that cursory checks may not be sufficient in all situations. However, anyone "buying" or leasing anything that borders either the beachfront, national park land, mangroves, or any other protected areas should know that extra effort is required to ensure that what they are "buying" can be legally sold, and any property of this type carries additional risk. Especially with all of the publicity over the past few years surrounding the forged/illegal title deeds issued by the phuket land offices - mostly for land actually inside national parks.

Surely any property along the Surin (or any other) beachfront should raise red flags. I doubt that there is any clear (e.g. chanote, nor sor 3 kor or similar) title deed for this particular property in question.

Why Why is it there right to appeal,,,,They are illegally having buildings on the beach and illegally operating a business,,,,They have no rights,,,if the people have the right to appeal there is a good chance that the Government go soft cock again...

They have a right if they are the original lease holder which everyone knows sold out long ago. Then the issue of encroaching outside the original wood kiosks that were built which have long ago been torn down and concrete building replaced it.

They are just going through the legalities. These clubs and restaurants have no rights as that wasn't the original lease terms or holders.

I remember this beach many years ago before the tsunami. This beach is (was?) often referred to as 'HM King's Beach'. The fact that this public land has been blatantly exploited and used for commercial purposes is IMHO, appalling.

I would like to see the beach cleaned up, all commercial businesses on public land (HM King's land), demolished, and the remaining buildings used to house free, multi-lingual local exhibitions, (eg - art, children's projects, environmental and historical projects).

hopefully a nice big public space wai2.gif

It's public space now - any member of the public can go there

Go on then - try to just go inside one of these places, set up a chair of your own and see what happens.

Is that your idea of 'public'?

Err, how about going to a "public" beach and setting up a chair of your own (and maybe an umbrella) then see what happens. Is that your idea of public?

I remember this beach many years ago before the tsunami. This beach is (was?) often referred to as 'HM King's Beach'. The fact that this public land has been blatantly exploited and used for commercial purposes is IMHO, appalling.

I would like to see the beach cleaned up, all commercial businesses on public land (HM King's land), demolished, and the remaining buildings used to house free, multi-lingual local exhibitions, (eg - art, children's projects, environmental and historical projects).

That's when that stretch of land was a golf course where the beach clubs are and all the way up to where the amanpuri resort now sits.

Yes, appalling, all those commercial businesses on HM King's land. Like those 5 star hotels in Bangkok right? Knock them down too I say.

This is a 3rd World Country, and extremely corrupt, and you seriously think "due dilligence" here offers some security in purchase????

I understand what you're saying, and agree that cursory checks may not be sufficient in all situations. However, anyone "buying" or leasing anything that borders either the beachfront, national park land, mangroves, or any other protected areas should know that extra effort is required to ensure that what they are "buying" can be legally sold, and any property of this type carries additional risk. Especially with all of the publicity over the past few years surrounding the forged/illegal title deeds issued by the phuket land offices - mostly for land actually inside national parks.

Surely any property along the Surin (or any other) beachfront should raise red flags. I doubt that there is any clear (e.g. chanote, nor sor 3 kor or similar) title deed for this particular property in question.

"anyone "buying" or leasing anything that borders either the beachfront, national park land, mangroves, or any other protected areas" - ALL LAND is "protected" for Thai's, the same way many occupations are.

It's Thai owned land, and will NEVER be anyone else's.

You can do all the "checks" and "due dilligence" you like - how are you going to get around this fact????

It's their country, therefore, their land, and it's not for sale to a foreigner, at Thai Law.

Simple concept, really.

Edited by NamKangMan

Get specific. Which 5-star hotel in Bangkok was illegally built on public land?

Or, are you just making stuff up?

I think the poster was being sarcastic referring to the "kings land" in Bangkok , he doesn't actually say illegally built either. I guess he is referring to the huge chunk of central Bangkok where a multitude of 5 star hotels, intercon, kempinski, 4 seasons, Hyatt, Conrad, etc etc is crown property bureau land which chanotes exist and really is the Kings land. I doubt the king has chanotes for every beach in thailand..

Get specific. Which 5-star hotel in Bangkok was illegally built on public land?

Or, are you just making stuff up?

I think the poster was being sarcastic referring to the "kings land" in Bangkok , he doesn't actually say illegally built either. I guess he is referring to the huge chunk of central Bangkok where a multitude of 5 star hotels, intercon, kempinski, 4 seasons, Hyatt, Conrad, etc etc is crown property bureau land which chanotes exist and really is the Kings land. I doubt the king has chanotes for every beach in thailand..

Thank you AJ, you interpret correctly. It actually goes further than owning the land. For example the CPB/SCB has the majority holding in Kempinski Hotels SA

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Still going strong at Surin I see. Catch and Bimi. In fairness, principles aside as to how they came by the land (it's not like the rest of the place is a haven of integrity), I hope they don't demolish Catch. At least it's one of the few places in a beach environment that IS a bit different and offers a pleasant night out in nice surroundings with decent staff. Demolish it and we're left with what? Oh yeah, great, the characterless concrete beer scrag-end and lifeless bars that grace almost every soi in every town or god-forbid, be sentenced to 'quality' nights out in the rip-off shit-hole that is Patong), yeah - can't wait!!

As an aside, it's great to be able see the sand along the beach at Surin. No tourists of course, stupid folks have clearly gone to places where they can sit down comfortably, eat, get some shade, get served drinks and, well, generally enjoy their hard earned holiday. But no doubt, Surin is a nice quality beach now, empty, aside from maybe the 2-3 folks standing trying to work out the zone signs that dictate where you can sit and what you can / can't bring to the beach, assuming you can work out where the sectors start and end. That is, before they decide 'stuff it' and go back to their hotel pool and plan where to go next holiday. Baby out with the bath water or what.

Edited by Pick of Penang