Better in neighboring countries like Malaysia?

geoffphuket

Malaysia looks more and more tempting all the time :o

It is certainly a lot easier down here.

I just bought a motorcycle.

All that was needed was my passport and a copy of my phone bill. :D

It is certainly a lot easier down here.

I just bought a motorcycle.

All that was needed was my passport and a copy of my phone bill. :D

That's wierd - a minute ago there was a sarcastic reply to astral's post .....

..... to which I wanted to reply http://mm2h.motour.gov.my/cms/index.php?n=en

Gaz

Sad but true, Malaysia looks better and better than LOS all the time.

- 10 year visa

- own (1 property)land/house in your own name

- own your own vehicle (without the proof of residence from Thai Immigration)

- have 100% foreign owned companies (capital of moe than RM50k) get work permits and incentives for foreign investment

And the conditions - simply deposit RM300k (just over 3m baht) in an approved Malaysian bank, hold it for a year, then you can withdraw RM240k to buy a house and land.

Places like Penang are pretty, Port Dickson is 1 hr from KL, and Langkawi Island and are all developing rapidly.

Might be a good option to have a permanent place in Asia (in your own name) and take visits to LOS.

Bottom line is that the government in Malaysia has realised that foreign investment is much more important to the economy than the outdated view taken in Thailand.

It would be so easy for the Thai governement to introduce exactly the same rules, ie own a block of land in your name ( not under the current 1 rai and pay at least 40 million baht for it rule).

PS if you don't like Malaysia, Singapore has a similar scheme where foreigners can own property.

Being a Christian I think I would be uncomfortable living in a Muslin country. Thailand for me.

Nothing wrong with being Christian and living in a Muslim community. Where I live on Phuket I am surrounded by Muslim families - Infact they make up over 20% of the population on Phuket, and I can truthfully say you'd never find more friendly and kind people anywhere.

In malaysia there are several rules on whether a foreinger can own the land - one of the main criteria at the moment is that is costs over 150K RM - however after talking with a croatian guy who owns 2 restaurants in penang this may be just a paper price and it may be possible to get a place for less and change the value on paper.

In penang it is possible to get properties from 30K RM upwards (300000bt approx)

The cost of living is comparable to Thailand - if you exclude alchohol - beer and spitits are an absurd price - but this in my opinion is a stealth tax on the chinese (and rightly so too)

Further the Malays are very honest - I have never knowingly been cheated by a malay in malaysia (and i know malaysian prices very well) - it is only the chinese that have attempted to cheat me there.

I have also found delaing with the government to be straightforward - but the malays are curious and speak better english than the thais - so it is alllways recommended to have a story thought through before you engage in a transaction.

Malaysia have several business encouragements to - it is actively looking to do soething similar to india with respect IT and services. There are more cyberjayas on the way and incentives for compatible companies in them.

Dont forget that Sabah and Sarawak are very beautiful and even cheaper places too and give easy access to Indonesia and Brunei.

- 10 year visa

What happens after the ten years are finished. A visarun. :o

But serious, how do you stay not 10 years but for the rest of your life in malaysia. I guess when you buy a property that you can own 100% you would like to use it longer than that.

Being a Christian I think I would be uncomfortable living in a Muslin country. Thailand for me.

What? Like it is for Muslims to live in Christian countries?

Believe it or not - not all Muslim countries are like Iran and Saudi Arabia!

I have been to Malaysia a few times and have never had any problems with Muslims there. As for the level of English, the Ticket Clerk at Butterworth said it was simple- learn to speak English properly or spend the rest of your working life cleaning toilets.

AAhh, if I knew then what I know now.....

I guess if you are an expat with no real ties to Thailand, it sounds much easier to live there than here.

But my husband is Thai, his family are all here, his home is here and he will inherit from his dad anyway. I can't see him giving up everything to go live in Malaysia. If he were going to give up everything he would prefer to do it in my home country.

Malaysia is more multi-cultural. Here are some ethnicity data from the CIA World Fact book:

Thailand: Thai 75%, Chinese 14%, other 11%

Malaysia: Malay 50.4%, Chinese 23.7%, Indigenous 11%, Indian 7.1%, others 7.8%

interesting that ,if these figures are correct, they were able to declare themselves a "islamic" state.

It certainly is a good option; it's a beautiful, multi-cultural country. On the whole, my impressions of the place are very good.

The OP is talking about what type of visa - investment ? retirement ?

I seem to remember you can apply for retirement visas in Malaysia from age 50.

You might need to take care about marrying and having children with a Malaysian (or Muslim Malaysian ?). There have been some rather newsworthy custody cases.

Edited by WaiWai

As much as I love Thailand, I always get that sinking feeling crossing the border at Sadao back into Thailand after doing a visa run.

The change is dramatic; the un-cluttered carriageway with safety barriers and emergency telephones that’s taken me all the way from Penang to the border, suddenly becomes an eyesore with youths racing motorcycles without helmets, dogs and food vendors creating traffic hazards, unsightly overhead power and telephone cables, pot holes in the road, the list goes on and on.

One day Thailand will move into the 21st century, unfortunately the rest of the world will probably be in the 22nd :o

Geoffphuket

As much as I love Thailand, I always get that sinking feeling crossing the border at Sadao back into Thailand after doing a visa run.

The change is dramatic; the un-cluttered carriageway with safety barriers and emergency telephones that’s taken me all the way from Penang to the border, suddenly becomes an eyesore with youths racing motorcycles without helmets, dogs and food vendors creating traffic hazards, unsightly overhead power and telephone cables, pot holes in the road, the list goes on and on.

One day Thailand will move into the 21st century, unfortunately the rest of the world will probably be in the 22nd :o

Geoffphuket

Ja, but thats the charme of Thailand, at least in my eyes.

Geoffphuket

The contrast between Thailand and Cambodia is far more extreme!!

In fact can anyone think of more contrasting neighbours /border in terms of development?

I have only been here 5 weeks after spending a year in Lebanon.

Lebanon was very pleasant until Israel started bombing. :D

I really enjoyed having a cold winter, well 10C was cold to me.

I did live in Malaysia for 2 years 1989-91 so I do know the place.

Penang is not bad. 2 weeks ago I move into my own apartment in a tower block.

I live on the 18th floor in a two bedroom place, fully furnished.

I wanted somewhere I could just walk into with minimal setup expense,

as I am not sure how long I will be here.

The rent is RMY1500 pm (15,000baht). Expensive once I had paid a months rent, + deposit + security deposit for bills + agents fee, MYR6000 total. Then the phone deposit and sat tv setup.

However when I bought a motorcycle all I needed was my passport and the phone transfer document to show my address, much easier than LOS.

Life is peaceful. A little more expensive than Thailand for food, and especially so for booze,

MYR12 (120 baht) for a large beer at the shop!! :o

Imported spirits are MRY80 upwards

Petrol MYR1.92 a litre (19 baht)

Internet connection is rated at 1Mb/s and does give that, even on international links!! :D

The cost is MYR77 per month (770 baht).

Everything is pretty well organised, compared to LOS.

What does irk me is the official dishonesty.

They are always patting themselves on the back to say how good it is here,

but when you look below the surface that is not really true.

The "privileges" for the ethnic Malays causes a lot of concern amongst the other 50% of the population.

Watching Astro TV, the local satellite system and the ONLY one we are allowed to watch,

I am struck by the lack of international advertising. No red screens like UBC, it is just not there.

All channels are delayed by 3 minutes giving the controllers time to hit the advert button if something "inappropriate" comes up.

Last Monday we had cartoons on the BBC channel for 50 minutes.............

I never did check which programme had been censored out.

In both Lebanon and Malaysia I have not found any problems living with the Muslims,

as long as I do not live too close to a mosque and all the prayer calls. :D

The extremists are in the minority, but get all the publicity.

Both countries have pork butchers, if you know where to look.

The rent is RMY1500 pm (15,000baht). Expensive once I had paid a months rent, + deposit + security deposit for bills + agents fee, MYR6000 total. Then the phone deposit and sat tv setup.

However when I bought a motorcycle all I needed was my passport and the phone transfer document to show my address, much easier than LOS.

Life is peaceful. A little more expensive than Thailand for food, and especially so for booze,

MYR12 (120 baht) for a large beer at the shop!! :D

Internet connection is rated at 1Mb/s and does give that, even on international links!! :D

The "privileges" for the ethnic Malays causes a lot of concern amongst the other 50% of the population.

Watching Astro TV, the local satellite system and the ONLY one we are allowed to watch,

I am struck by the lack of international advertising. No red screens like UBC, it is just not there.

All channels are delayed by 3 minutes giving the controllers time to hit the advert button if something "inappropriate" comes up.

In both Lebanon and Malaysia I have not found any problems living with the Muslims,

:o

Don't be fooled by Malaysia, there is a lot of things not spoken there. If you have experience with the place, you should know what I mean.

There is definite tension there between the Malays and the Chinese.

Certain provinces in Malaysia have muslim Sharia law and a group of people who want Sharia to be applied more widely.

Have you never seen apartments being sold in Malaysia with the line in the advertisement "for Malays "(or something similiar) only?

That isn't to say I have'nt thought of Malaysia as a home either.

But everything has it's good and bad points.

If you are really interested look into the "Malaysia My Second Home" program.

You can google it and find quite a lot of info about the program online.

:D

Don't be fooled by Malaysia, there is a lot of things not spoken there. If you have experience with the place, you should know what I mean.

Certain provinces in Malaysia have muslim Sharia law and a group of people who want Sharia to be applied more widely.

Have you never seen apartments being sold in Malaysia with the line in the advertisement "for Malays "(or something similiar) only?

You copied my whole message, but unfortunately you did not read it. :D:D

Yesterday we went down to the centre of Georgetown to extend my friend's visa, as he is going into hospital for a heart bypass.

The immigration office here in the island does not handle visas, only local passports.

We had to take a taxi across the bridge to the mainland where

the Immigration of office of Pulau Penang (the Island of Penang) is located........ You work it out.

We arrived at 12:40 to be told we are closing for lunch come back at 2pm but we were allowed to BUY the application form (MYR1 - 10 baht).

At 2 pm we put in the application and it took about 90 minutes to process.

He was given 2 months extra, cost MYR100 (1000 baht) from the original expiry date.

Then taxi back to the Island.

Now who said Malaysia is well organised?

Has anyone thought about setting up a Farang working group, to work up some recommendations for the Thai govt to consider changing their immigration, house ownership, etc, etc.

I hear many times about other places in Asis having this or that, it seems to me that an economic case could be made for changing of the the rules.???? Just a thought.

Regards, BD

MYR12 (120 baht) for a large beer at the shop!! :D

Agree with Ima Farang. I have a friend (Sihk) who was born and raised there and is a medical doctor with his own clinic outside Penang. I was just there a couple weeks ago visiting him. He says that the country is worse than ever for ethnic problems. Under the surface he says there are many many problems and he himself wants to get out of Malaysia. Lots of Muslim Malay problems toward the ethnic minorities (which aren't really that minority). He says the country is heading toward Sharia law, the Malays are given all the plum jobs by the majority Malay gov (which excludes most other ethnicities from becoming part of the gov) and he predicts the tensions will once again lead to ethnic violence and less freedom for all who are not Malay and Muslim. WHile it is a pleasant place to visit, and I love KL and Penang as well, and it is very easy to use their retiree program to buy land and homes, I trust his judgement in these things and will not buy property and live there. It could be a great retirement home setting right near Thailand. I'll wait and see, and listen to him on this.

Cent

We lived in Malaysia (Melaka) for 18 months before we came to Thailand. Our twins were born there. I go to KL at least 2 or 3 times a year. I love the place and would go back there in a heartbeat if we had a good job offer. We are settled here now though so Phuket it is for the forseeable future.

We have good friends who have lived there for the last ten years and just bought a condo and they are very happy. Neither is Malaysian.

It depends on you at the end of the day. Problems can be found wherever you look.

We lived in Malaysia (Melaka) for 18 months before we came to Thailand. Our twins were born there. I go to KL at least 2 or 3 times a year. I love the place and would go back there in a heartbeat if we had a good job offer. We are settled here now though so Phuket it is for the forseeable future.

We have good friends who have lived there for the last ten years and just bought a condo and they are very happy. Neither is Malaysian.

It depends on you at the end of the day. Problems can be found wherever you look.

totally agree. in my case, i am very concerned that malaysia declared itself a islamic state. this in itself lets me know all "MAY" not be right for the future. they also require "religious" status on their I.D. cards. they are quickly passing draconian "laws" to control MALAYS. they have even persecuted the first "kissing in public" attempt at law. buyer beware.