rights of a tenant against an intrusive Landlord?

Hello everyone, today I discovered that my landlord entered into my flat without my permission or prior notice - especially after they promised me that they would not come on the same day and would reschedule it next week.

Although they sneaked into the flat in order to repair some furniture for me, this kind of intrusive and annoying act upset me. It's all about loss of privacy, uncertainty, causing me some stress. As if they can just enter into my house when I am at work.

Could I ask for some local advice how to deal with this intrusive landlord? any legal right under the Thai laws?

thanks

Both suggestions above could result in lease violation.

Usually a rental lease contract will contain a paragraph, NO alterations to be carried out without the landlords'.

I suggest you simply ask them to inform you before entering and only when you are present.

I guess the owners are Thai. If so, I think Thai nature is they want to please you by repairing the furniture, and take a little look around.

Just politely ask them not to enter unless you are present.

Jai yen yen. This time round.

• Like 2

Easy fix would be to replace the lock cylinder.

You can re-fit the original when you move out.

This is THE ANSWER.

Topic can be closed now.

"Topic can be closed now."

You trying out to be a Mod ? Me thinks you don't qualify just yet.

Cheers..... Mal.

• Like 2

@ johninbkk and teacherpaul

Changing the lock(s) TEMPORARY is not an alteration, as the MOD/poster mentioned change them back when you leave.

Just do it and inform them.

They/he/she (most likely Thai landlord) has no respect for you as a tenant.

@malt25

No I have no ambition to be a mod here. I just like to say the way it is, in my honest opinion, IMHO.

The answer from the MOD/Poster was the correct answer how to deal with this problem.

So, I know this topic will not be closed, but now will just become an off-reply topic, same as so many.

The OP's question was answered, the only way to deal with this in Thailand.

@johninbkk and malt25

You 2 guys/ladies are Thai apologists, Thais can never do any wrong, because we live here in their country as guest.

I agree we are guests and where I come from we treat guests with respect.

Edited by ronthai
  • Like 1

Changing the lock(s) TEMPORARY is not an alteration, as the MOD/poster mentioned change them back when you leave.

@malt25

No I have no ambition to be a mod here. I just like to say the way it is, in my honest opinion, IMHO.

The answer from the MOD/Poster was the correct answer how to deal with this problem.

So, I know this topic will not be closed, but now will just become an off-reply topic, same as so many.

@johninbkk and malt25

You 2 guys/ladies are Thai apologists, Thais can never do any wrong, because we live here in their country as guest.

Legally speaking it is an alteration no matter what you intend to do later. The landlord could take a picture of the door with the new lock, and assuming changing the lock is considered a violation of the contract, throw you out on that ground. No court is going to care what you may or may not intend to do later, it only matters what has already happened.

What if I decided to remove the kitchen, and then put it back in when I move out? Same issue, just bigger, but it makes it more obvious that it is a violation of the "no alteration" clause, if such a clause exists. What happens if I leave without putting the kitchen back in?

Or what if I steal/borrow the big flat screen tv and the landlord finds out. Can I just tell him I actually intended to put it back later?

Edited by monkeycountry

And if they never got around to fixing it we would be responding to that as well. This is Thailand...its not the same place as your home country. If little things like this get you upset try Singapore.

• Like 2

@malt25

@johninbkk and malt25

Legally speaking it is an alteration no matter what you intend to do later. The landlord could take a picture of the door with the new lock, and assuming changing the lock is considered a violation of the contract, throw you out on that ground. No court is going to care what you may or may not intend to do later, it only matters what has already happened.

What if I decided to remove the kitchen, and then put it back in when I move out? Same issue, just bigger, but it makes it more obvious that it is a violation of the "no alteration" clause, if such a clause exists. What happens if I leave without putting the kitchen back in?

Or what if I steal/borrow the big flat screen tv and the landlord finds out. Can I just tell him I actually intended to put it back later?

This is absolutly correct and there is little you can do to stop the landlord entering when they feel like it, except to speak to them nicely and explain that farangs do not like this (do not raise your voice or argue) try to explain that you because you are very busy you can only see them on fixed days/times and otherwise live with it. TiT.

Alternatively, try to find out/guess when they will come and arrange for someone to bolt the door from the inside and not answer the door.

• Like 1

I don't know how anyone thinks they can just change the locks on a house/ condo that the landlord owns. The owner is allowed to have a working key. What if your neighbor downstairs has water coming through their ceiling and contacts owner/ manager and you are in Phuket for a week? Or in a house the neighbors tree branch crashes into your roof and there is damage after a storm? Wait for you to get home from holiday or from work? I bet people who say change the lock have never been a landlord. You asked for a repair and they promptly fixed it. I doubt they did anything else to your precious little home. Get over it. Or move.

• Like 2

If the door handle is round knob, buy a lockable cover. Quite common here and sold wherever they sell padlocks. Looks like a small chrome beer can. Slip it over the door knob and put a padlock on. Stops people accessing the lock or turning the knob. Sorry can't find a picture. Yet...

• Like 1

Just tell them you have alot of gold, cash, different creditcards and other valuables inside apartment. And that you require them to make apointment next time so that if something dissapears you dont have to give their names to police.

A written letter and signed that he understands the consequenses entering your home without your knowledge. If you want to know if someone entered your home is to have a doormat inside your room and put talkpowder under it. That way you can see if someone stepped on it ?

Maybe get yourself a nice rottweiler?

@malt25

@johninbkk and malt25

most sensible answer. Just to add the owner/agent (depending on whether u rented privately or through agent) is entitled to have the spare keys. So u can change the locks but MUST provide the spare key to him/them. This is for safety, police entry, or simply if u abandon the place they don't have to break something to get it. So U're complaining that he entered to fix something. U can't be serious. As has been mentioned on other topic many times u are in Thailand and must learn to adapt. Would he do the same thing to other tenants. If the answer is yes then I think U're being too precious about.

In the first instance the OP must have reported the broken furniture. The landlord would have taken this as a request to fix it which he did. I hope you said thank you to him for his trouble. At the same time you could mention that you would like to have been there to see him do the repair.

You don't even have to do that , just go to Home pro and purchase the device that covers your door knob with a lock on it . It also give you double security as you now have two locks. It's universal and will fit most door knobs and you can take it with you when you leave, you can also use it on the inside if you don't want anybody leaving while you are asleep or passed out.

@malt25

@johninbkk and malt25

Can you not get it into your head that we are not guests in this country, we are just tolerated.

Report every ninety days or else. Some IOs will allow this and some won't, etc.

Keep in mind that Thais perhaps have a different perspective of privacy than the country from which we hail. e.g. Uncensored accident closeup photos of dead/seriously injured victims featured in news reports. e.g. Publication of detailed addresses of robbery/murder/rape victims. e.g. Lack of privacy concerns with medical records and treatment.

With an entire lack of malicious intent, the landlord may have intentionally done the repair while you were gone specifically in an effort to minimize inconvenience to you without ever knowing privacy concerns were a factor.

Not such a good idea. A landlord must have a key to enter a premises in the case of a fire flood or accident.

Of course he/she in normal circumstances should arrange with a tenant when is a good time to call. I think the only solution is to explain this to the landlord and if it falls on deaf ears then no choice but to move. Where is reporting it going to get one even if you knew where to report it.

And if they never got around to fixing it we would be responding to that as well. This is Thailand...its not the same place as your home country. If little things like this get you upset try Singapore.

I am a landlord but not in Thailand (yet). They probably thought they were being prompt & proactive. This could have been a post about "asked land lord 20 times over 3 months but no action."........ Suggest you open conversation by wai-ing politely & thanking for the prompt action on the repair, but next time please....... etc.

Landlord must have a key so ignore the suggestions about changing locks unless it has really deteriorated over several incidents and you are ready to move outat short notice if it comes to that.

Edited by The Deerhunter

@malt25

@johninbkk and malt25

Strange that only YOU consider the question answered to YOUR satisfaction. Many differing replies posted after your suggestion to close the post.

"You 2 guys/ladies are Thai apologists." FYI, I'm a guy, take the time to have a look at a members profile. I'm open about who I am & where I'm from, unlike yourself who hides behind a blank profile page.

Wrong again, no Thai apologist. So many of them are hopeless & clueless, BUT, understanding of a different culture, a little compromise and tolerating our differences provides me with a very happy & satisfying life.

So, getting back on topic. Luckily the post wasn't closed as per your ignorant suggestion. Not the only or correct answer. Possibly even illegal.

"where I come from we treat guests with respect." This isn't where you come from, almost a different planet.

Why do I feel I'm wasting my time with the likes of you ? Ah well, must be bored.

Cheers..... Mal.