OBSERVATIONS: My Thai Fiancee's First 15 Days In USA.

MauiSteveBKK

Great OP. Good on you.

I wouldn't worry about her saying some things are better in Thailand etc. she's just being defensive of her home. She was brought up in Thailand and of course loves her home. We all get defensive of our home.

But good story, made me smile. Good luck

Thanks Folks!

One Last Thing: She sometimes is a bit "defensive" of Thailand.

She'll say something like: "Well, Thailand has the same as that." (or) "Thailand's is better."

At first, I was arguing back some with her. And would say: "Are you Crazy? In Thailand it's horrible". (something like that)

Now ... I just nod and say "whatever".

A real joy to read your post and good luck to the two of you.

I encourage my wife now to feel proud of her country. I'm forever talking about how lovely the countryside and people are when we go on our driving holidays. It does me good to see that little smirk of pride on her face when I see it out of the side of my eye.....I too was too quick to go on knocking the Thai driving skills, their manners and other stuff on the road when it dawned on me one day that she thought I was referring to Thai people in general and that isn't good for anybody, to hear their folk being put down all the time. I felt really rotten about it after.

• Like 2

Great to hear.

Keep in mind, though, that you are going through the honeymoon phase of the move. Around 3 months from now, things will start to get difficult. That's when the real relationship test comes. My wife and I got through it, but it was quite difficult.

Try to get her busy with things. Get her involved with groups...get her a good schedule going. It took my wife a while to get the courage to do things by herself, but you do need that to be functioning, happy adults.

Long story short for us, we moved back to Thailand a year and a half later (mutual decision).

Nice report! All the best to both of you!

I life several years in Thailand but before deciding to move over here, I had my (then) future wife 2 times for a longer period with me in Holland, which I recommend for anyone having a serious relationship with a Thai lady, not a short holiday but several months in a row, which I found pretty useful in our relationship, she now understands much better how it is back in "farangland" where many things are quite different then in LOS.

Edited by Dutchbike

"I lonely"

"I bored"

"I want talk my friend(s)"

"I kikyat"

the above are simply default barriers that will go up, and if you don't react badly, will fade eventually...

unless you fail, and reach the next pinnacle:

"you not listen to me"

"I boss"

SKYPE---Line etc, makes it so much more easier for them to talk with friends / Family, The ability to download the Thai soaps on line etc --things like this, do make these sort of moves a lot better than in the past years, when they really felt cut off.

• Like 1

Nice story. My GF dreams of going back to New York with me. Just today she actually said "In New York everyone like to scream each other chai mai? Like, hey MF what the F you doing?!" I laughed and said "No, we don't do that there" Then I thought a second and said "Actually honey, thats exactly how we talk there." When she's right she's right...facepalm.gif

• Like 1

Since you're 61 years-old, you probably don't have to worry. I had just turned 30, married a Japanese girl from a "upper-middle class" family in Japan. Took her to the states, (CA,) and had 3 adorable, wonderful, great kids. She met an older Japanese lady and after 16 years of marriage she decided she wanted to "sow her wild oats" again. She became American-ized in all the worst ways imaginable! With her lawyer's expertise, she ended-up with everything! - The kids, (they're all over 18 now but won't talk to me,) the house, the car, and all my money for the rest of my life! - Just sayin, would be different if I was starting out at 61 and she was 49. You probably won't have the same situation at all. Best Wishes to both of you :)

• Like 1

Great post and nice to hear the positive stories. The Thailand is better won't start to change for about 18 months - 2 years then after 3 years she may not want to go back to Thailand at all. Mind you it sounds like you have a very comfortable lifestyle there and here of course.

Interestingly, my wife has similar background living in BKK all her life and doing office work there. We lived in Sydney for 3 years and she ended up liking it very much also but now we are back living on the Darkside in Patts and the only reason she wants to go back is because of the better education for the kids and the wage packets. Still doesn't get the cost of living differential; go figure?

Thanks Folks!

She'll say something like: "Well, Thailand has the same as that." (or) "Thailand's is better."

At first, I was arguing back some with her. And would say: "Are you Crazy? In Thailand it's horrible". (something like that)

A forty-seven year old tends not to be so flexible, which is why May - December relationships often work out better. Anyway, so long as the ATMs work the same she will be satisfied. How did she react to her first poi or lomi lomi?

• Like 1

Thanks Folks!

My wife was first also defensive for Thailand. That turned after a while into the complete opposite.....Specially when working or planning something.

If someone comes at 2 PM, he comes at 2PM not 5 PM. If you have an agreement it holds, etc.

Now here in Thailand I hear all the time....that don't work with Thai people because they zigzag. Have to tell all the time that Europe also has cheater and scammer.....

Thanks Folks!

My g/f is the same and I have never taken her out of Thailand. I also now say whatever. Saves a lot of arguments.