Online 90 day reporting available from April 1st

On 9/23/2018 at 7:39 PM, JestSetter said:

So, the issue is that I assumed that the extension would start at the same time that my visa expired. It doesn't. As you state, they construe that it starts as you stated. How can one make a procedure more contrived? Really? I visited that office one more time one month later than the June date. Why make it easy on people, hey? 

Now, I should be fair. There are 3 ways to report and there is a large window from which one can do it.

NO ONE mentioned anything about the procedures and the timeline when I applied, when I received the permit. NO ONE! Yes, on the back of my passport there is a paper stapled (easy to miss if one does not know) saying that I must "notify". HOW? No information on how. 

One must go to TV and ask several questions to get to the bottom of the procedures.

When I ask the precise information on how one must notify to be pinned, no one does it. 

No system is perfect I realize that. I think it would be nice if there was a nice slip of paper inserted in the passport, indicating the 3 different ways to notify and the details for all of them?

Why is this made so complicated? Yes, they have laws, but laws can be changed. Laws are arbitrary. There are bad and stupid laws.

The next progress would be to align all of those dates so that the first 90 days extension is actually 90 days from the end of the visa. (It can be 80 days long when one applies online! Cheating us of 10 days is okay?)  True, they do have that grace period whereby we are allowed to do it by going there and do it up to 7 days "late". Ah! You see! It can be done "late". 

Anyway, I don't foresee anyone changing the ways. Too many people are taking a cut. The para-legal company that scared my wife telling her that an extension of a marriage visa would be hard benefit and almost got me to pay up. (As a person with a sufficient pension to qualify, it was easy. Apart from the absurd amount of paper work and copies (Thailand 4.0?) and a visit to the office with a witness vouching that our marriage was legit, going there one more time to get the approval,... it was easy.) Making these procedures complicated drive people to come back to TV too.  I am sure that there are a few people missing a few steps too which allows the imm. department to pay for whatever is needed that year. There are possible reasons why the procedure is so opaque.

How hard is it to have ONE simple pin topic explaining clearly what the procedure entails with all the fine print and details indicated there?

Why can't people understand that if there are many people screwing up (not sure what the stats are), it could be their fault too? Why is this mindset that it is always the person who screws up who is wrong? Of course, we would not want ANYONE to lose face! ANYONE? 

Finally, I am sure that these kinds of systemic issues are prevalent in the West too. Who wants to complain when a permission to stay is on the line? As a result, systems do not improve. No oversight. No ombudsperson.

The procedure --once it is delineated-- is not that hard to follow, btw. It is a bit contrived with the dual date issue. I appreciated and admire the grace period though. The procedure could be a few paragraphs long with a few post scriptums for odd regional or local cases. The local offices could print this at the same time they approve matters. I have seen this on TV, buried somewhere.

So any chance of one nicely pinned post where it should be with a nice helpful title in capital letters like 90 days extension procedure? I have seen it somewhere. I did not have a chance to look at it and see if it is comprehensive, but ... it will be more helpful than having to read 270 pages or more to get to the bottom of this.

This is clearly your personal problem. I've been in and out of this country since 1992 on practically every type of visa and now marriage extension. I've only overstayed once and it wasn't my fault as immigration at a Cambodian border would not let me X and sent me to Sao Dao.

Sort yourself out or pay for assistance. Don't blame this free board or even immigration for your inability to figure it out. Just go home, problem solved.

Edited by ozmeldo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Only the first extension of stay application is considered as doing a 90 day report. The first report is due 90 days from the date you apply for the extension.

Not quite. If you're in the country on a one-year permit of stay, based on an O-A visa, and you have done 90 day reports prior to the expiration of that one-year permit of stay, then your first extension of stay application does nothing to reset the current 90-day reporting situation.

Nit picky, I know. But just pointing out that not all first extensions of stay applications start a new 90 day clock.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2018 at 8:20 PM, Classic Ray said:

I am dumbfounded. Tried online 90 day report today after many previous failures, accepted immediately to pending status. Just had an email at 8pm tonight to say approved. I can only put it down to the Big Joke effect, well done Thai Immigration!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thanks for the good news. I submitted my online 90 day, on Oct 5. Still no email confirmation today (Oct 12) as the deadline is Oct. 20, should I resubmit it?

2 hours ago, NE1 said:

Can you not send them an e-mail , attach your pending status and ask them if there is a problem .

This is what i had to do on my last one , and it looks like i will have to do it again on this one.

this is my first time filing online. so excuse the lack of know-how. 2 questions: 1. Classic Ray writes that his submission was accepted immediately to pending status. once I submitted my filing, I got an standard wording response to contact my local IO.                                 2. since the submission menu does not ask for my email address, how can I expect to receive approval? thanks.

Mine has been pending for a week , some it takes anywhere from 1 hour to not at all , depending on the office you use. 

On your submission form it does ask for an e-mail address , that is how they know where to send it to. 

You do know there are Two pages to complete before you send it ?

10 minutes ago, sendintheclowns said:

this is my first time filing online. so excuse the lack of know-how. 2 questions: 1. Classic Ray writes that his submission was accepted immediately to pending status. once I submitted my filing, I got an standard wording response to contact my local IO.                                 2. since the submission menu does not ask for my email address, how can I expect to receive approval? thanks.

Your report was not accepted - you have made a previous report in person and used all the drop down menu type answers and typed others exactly as in your last report?

22 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Your report was not accepted - you have made a previous report in person and used all the drop down menu type answers and typed others exactly as in your last report?

previous report was filed by post. i copied the exact details on to the online form, filled in the Captcha security code and clicked 'submit' . the differences are: the previously filed hardcopy TM47 did not ask for DOB, nor airflight #. It did ask for address and phone number, which is not asked for on the online submission menu. I must be missing something? Wife is really worried, as a car trip to IO is very difficult for her and it is to late to post in a TM47.  

You can have others submit your report if ununable to do yourself - does not have to be wife.  But appears you have not submitted so an try a few more times.  I can not do because last entry about 15 years ago so not a good source for information but believe one items is the choice for nationality and you must use that and not type in answer.  You should not have to fill in items not stared as required.

14 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You can have others submit your report if ununable to do yourself - does not have to be wife.  But appears you have not submitted so an try a few more times.  I can not do because last entry about 15 years ago so not a good source for information but believe one items is the choice for nationality and you must use that and not type in answer.  You should not have to fill in items not stared as required.

thanks. i spotted that too. The nationality menu has a prepared list. Canadian is listed in English and Thai. so I clicked on that, rather than type in "Canadian". I have a screen grab of my online submission.. whichi compared with the previous TM47. No luck in finding any discrepancies. IO says my wife MUST attend., or else get a doctors certificate., which  requires an additional and longer car trip. we'll just have to grin and bear it. Next time, I will revert to using Thailand Post.    thanks for advice.

24 minutes ago, sendintheclowns said:

previous report was filed by post. i copied the exact details on to the online form, filled in the Captcha security code and clicked 'submit' . the differences are: the previously filed hardcopy TM47 did not ask for DOB, nor airflight #. It did ask for address and phone number, which is not asked for on the online submission menu. I must be missing something? Wife is really worried, as a car trip to IO is very difficult for her and it is to late to post in a TM47.  

You apparently only completed step 1 of 4 needed to complete the application.

What happened when you clicked submit?

3 minutes ago, sendintheclowns said:

IO says my wife MUST attend., or else get a doctors certificate.,

Are you sure he understood - wife would have to attend a marriage extension of stay.  But anyone can file TM47 for you with your authorization.  

The foreigner makes the notification in person, or
The foreigner authorises another person to make the notification, or
The foreigner makes the notification by registered mail.
The notification must be made within 15 days before or after 7 days the period of 90 days expires.
The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days.

42 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Are you sure he understood - wife would have to attend a marriage extension of stay.  But anyone can file TM47 for you with your authorization.  

my fault, didnt have written authority from wife last time. I just read the whole set of online filing instructions. they look pretty clear. but it is 4.30 pm and an online application will not be processed until Monday, which will be 2 days short of the advance filing requirements. i am still ignorant of why when I press 'submit' page 1, it does not go to page 2. 

11 minutes ago, sendintheclowns said:

am still ignorant of why when I press 'submit' page 1, it does not go to page 2. 

Believe that would normally be an error - or the office not allowing online submissions.   Not sure if same indication when using non accepted browser (they want IE or something that acts like it)

Hi, I got work permit 2 months ago at the Immig Dept one-stop shop in Chamchuri Square. I must do 90-day report by 1st week of November. Can you do it online if this is your first 90-day report in Bkk (I have done many years in other regions) and is it  right you must wait until you're within 15 days of renewal date?
just planning in advance, thanks

17 hours ago, sendintheclowns said:

my fault, didnt have written authority from wife last time. I just read the whole set of online filing instructions. they look pretty clear. but it is 4.30 pm and an online application will not be processed until Monday, which will be 2 days short of the advance filing requirements.

The 15 to 7 days before is for the date you submit the online application not when immigration looks at it and processes it.

17 hours ago, sendintheclowns said:

my fault, didnt have written authority from wife last time. I just read the whole set of online filing instructions. they look pretty clear. but it is 4.30 pm and an online application will not be processed until Monday, which will be 2 days short of the advance filing requirements.

Are you getting a message or a blank page. A blank page means you have a pop up blocker blocking the message to contact you local immigration office.

The message means you record could not be found. The record is from you last entry to the country. If your last entry was before 2013 or you have gotten a new passport since you last entry you will get the message until you leave and re-enter the country to do online reporting.

It can also be an error when entering the info in one of the required fields marked by a *. Best to only complete the required fields.

There have been cases where people have gotten the message even though the info was correct. That could be an error in the info entered when you last entered the country. It can also be occur when the system cannot access the database for some unknown reason and people were able to do it when they tried later.

8 hours ago, pomozki said:

Hi, I got work permit 2 months ago at the Immig Dept one-stop shop in Chamchuri Square. I must do 90-day report by 1st week of November. Can you do it online if this is your first 90-day report in Bkk (I have done many years in other regions) and is it  right you must wait until you're within 15 days of renewal date?
just planning in advance, thanks

It will not be a problem to submit the application within the 15 to 7 days before the due date window. It could be a problem when they receive the application since they would not have records of you doing 90 day reports to Bangkok immigration. You could do it. Then wait for them to approve or disapprove it. Bangkok normally does them within hours after they receive them during their working hours or days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

It will not be a problem to submit the application within the 15 to 7 days before the due date window. It could be a problem when they receive the application since they would not have records of you doing 90 day reports to Bangkok immigration. You could do it. Then wait for them to approve or disapprove it. Bangkok normally does them within hours after they receive them during their working hours or days.

thanks!
btw is it 15 days or 15 working days (3 weeks)?

54 minutes ago, sendintheclowns said:

Assuming I bring along authorization to represent her, is there any reason why I cannot file the TM47 at IO in Surathani? 

They would not accept the report in Surat Thani. I has to be done at the office that issued the extension unless a formal change of address is done.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They would not accept the report in Surat Thani. I has to be done at the office that issued the extension unless a formal change of address is done.

Thanks, Joe. I was hoping so. The IO in Surat issued me a reentry permit, in August. I was hoping they would accept a TM47 as well.  I guess the concept of a national Immigration information grid will happen in the next century. ????

On 10/14/2018 at 11:59 AM, ubonjoe said:

I appreciate your advice, but how does it reconcile with this quote (item 4 - http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=90days)  please? Thanks.  

Offices accepting notification:
  1. Immigration Division1 Office, The Government Complex,Chaengwattana Rd., Laksi ,Bangkok
  2. One Stop Center for Visa and Work Permits located at Chamchuri Square Buliding , Floor 18, Phayathai Rd. Phatumwan, Bangkok (Only the specific law)
    Services are provided only to foreigners who have already submitted an application for temporary stay in the kingdom of thailand.
  3. Immigration Service Center for 3 National Legalized Labors ( Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia) at Major Hollywood Suksawat or Imperial World Ladprao
    Only special Labor of three Nationalities Loas , Cambodia and Mynmarresiding in Bangkok.
  4. Immigration offices throughout the country

4 minutes ago, sendintheclowns said:
On 10/14/2018 at 11:59 AM, ubonjoe said:

I appreciate your advice, but how does it reconcile with this quote

Just out of date.

A few years ago immigration issued a directive that reports had to be done at the office where you did you extension. It was a move to have records of the reports to be kept at one office. It was issued shortly before the online reporting site became available which could be the reason it was done since they are only sent to your home office.

• Thanks 1

On 10/13/2018 at 12:16 PM, ubonjoe said:

That is it.

Immigration does not use business days for anything.

hey ubonjoe/anyone, one more question pls!
my 90-day is due for renewal on November 5 - I think you're allowed up to 7 days' grace afterwards, so could I fly out of the country on November 8 or 9 instead of doing my 90-day report and then start my 90-day cycle when I return?