New UK passport and retirement visa

In November I will renew my retirement visa which I have been doing for the past several years. However several monthly after my retirement visa is to be renewed I will need to renew my UK passport. Now I appreciate that under the new regulations once I change my passport I will need to make a new application for my annual visa. As I intend visiting the UK either prior to applying for my annual retirement visa or shortly afterwards I thought I would take the opportunity of obtaining a new passport while I am in the UK.

My question is, if I obtain the passport prior to my annual visa and while I am in the UK would I have any problem when I return to Thailand since the visa stamps would still be available for inspection in my old passport. What sort of entry stamp would I get on arrival?

Alternatively if after applying for my annual retirement visa I then went to the UK and changed my passport would I have any problem returning and re-applying for the retirement visa as would be the normal case if I had stayed in Thailand and obtained my passport while I was her?

The new rule is that you only get an extension till the date your passport is valid and when you have a enw paspsort you have to aply for a brand new extension of stay.

If you go to the UK before the curent extension expires (don't forget the re-entry permit) you simply take both old and new paspsort with you. You show the old paspsort with permisison to stay and re-entry permit and you will be stamped in on the new passport.

Next you visit your immirgaiton office to have the details transferred from old to new passport but first you apply for a letter regarding your new passport from the embassy.

Getting a new passport does not require you to apply for a new extension of stay.(it is not a visa). Immigration will transfer your stamps to your new passport.

If you have less than a year of passport validity when you apply for an extension it would only be valid to the date your passport expires. In this case when you got your new passport immigration would transfer the shortened extension stamp to your new passport and then before the shortened extension expires you would a apply for a new extension.

If you get a new passport in the UK you would show both passports on entry to show your re-entry permit in the old one. They would stamp your entry in your new passport that would be equal to the date your current extension ends. Then you would go to immigration to have your stamps transferred to your new passport.

The new rule is that you only get an extension till the date your passport is valid and when you have a enw paspsort you have to aply for a brand new extension of stay.

If you go to the UK before the curent extension expires (don't forget the re-entry permit) you simply take both old and new paspsort with you. You show the old paspsort with permisison to stay and re-entry permit and you will be stamped in on the new passport.

Next you visit your immirgaiton office to have the details transferred from old to new passport but first you apply for a letter regarding your new passport from the embassy.

I currently have a multiple entry visa which I always obtain along with my retirement visa. So if I go to the UK prior to the expiry of my current retirement visa in November and return with a new passport I take it that I can re-enter using the multiple re-entry visa by showing my old passport plus my new passport and then a short time later make the normal annual application for my retirement visa?

That is my favored approach if possible since it would negate the necessity of having to reapply for a retirement visa only a matter of months after having obtained one because of a new passport.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I currently have a multiple entry visa which I always obtain along with my retirement visa. So if I go to the UK prior to the expiry of my current retirement visa in November and return with a new passport I take it that I can re-enter using the multiple re-entry visa by showing my old passport plus my new passport and then a short time later make the normal annual application for my retirement visa?

That is my favored approach if possible since it would negate the necessity of having to reapply for a retirement visa only a matter of months after having obtained one because of a new passport.

To make things easier to understand here could you tell us where the "retirement visa" and the "multiple entry visa " were obtained ?

I suspect you actually have an "extension of stay" coupled with a multi- reentry permit both of which where obtained from Thai immigration.

If I am correct follow the advice already provided.

You have a multiple re-entry permit, not a multiple visa (which you get abroad). Yes, you can leave and re-enter on that and that is the easiest way to do it.

Many thanks to everyone for the advice. Yes I have the multiple re-entry NON-IMM visa which I renew every November along with my retirement visa at Chaeng Wattana.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You have a multiple re-entry permit, not a multiple visa (which you get abroad). Yes, you can leave and re-enter on that and that is the easiest way to do it.

Many thanks to everyone for the advice. Yes I have the multiple re-entry NON-IMM visa which I renew every November along with my retirement visa at Chaeng Wattana.

One more time !

You do not have "visa" ! Nor is this "visa" multi entry !

You have an extension of stay based on retirement, with a multiple re-entry permit.! smile.png

One more time !

You do not have "visa" ! Nor is this "visa" multi entry !

You have an extension of stay based on retirement, with a multiple re-entry permit.! smile.png

Thanks, you are quite right but given the information I supplied I think everyone got the drift that I have the annual extension with the multiple re-entry option obtained from Chaeng Wattana. On that basis given the helpful replies I now know what I am able to do.

OP - when does your passport expire? If you renew up to 9 months before its expiry date, you will have the unexpired period automatically added to the validity period of your new passport. You might wish to (re)consider the timing of your trip to the UK in this light.

OP - when does your passport expire? If you renew up to 9 months before its expiry date, you will have the unexpired period automatically added to the validity period of your new passport. You might wish to (re)consider the timing of your trip to the UK in this light.

Thanks I was taking that into account. My main requirement was to avoid doing my annual trip to Chaeng Wattana for the retirement ext and multiple entry only to have to repeat it several months later when my passport expired. It appears if I return to UK before my annual retirement date, obtain a new passport while I am there and return to Thailand before my annual retirement visit to Chaeng Wattana then I can complete the annual retirement extension along with the multiple entry all on the new passport. That is my understanding at present. Sorry if I have been using the wrong terms, I tend to call it my retirement visa when of course as has been pointed out it is in fact an extension. .

"I currently have a multiple entry visa which I always obtain along with my retirement visa. "

As people have attempted to explain already, it's a multi re-entry permit, not a visa, and it's an extension of stay based on retirement, not a retirement visa.

If you won't have a full year left on your passport when you would need to renew your extension of stay, it would be better to get a new passport before applying for the new extension. Then immigrations will transfer the stamps to the new passport and with the new passport, when you apply for the new extension, you'll get a full year.

If you apply for a new extension with, for example, only six months left on your old passport, the new extension (and any new re-entry permit) would only be valid for six months, at which point you would need to go through the renewal process again.

"I currently have a multiple entry visa which I always obtain along with my retirement visa. "

As people have attempted to explain already, it's a multi re-entry permit, not a visa, and it's an extension of stay based on retirement, not a retirement visa.

If you won't have a full year left on your passport when you would need to renew your extension of stay, it would be better to get a new passport before applying for the new extension. Then immigrations will transfer the stamps to the new passport and with the new passport, when you apply for the new extension, you'll get a full year.

If you apply for a new extension with, for example, only six months left on your old passport, the new extension (and any new re-entry permit) would only be valid for six months, at which point you would need to go through the renewal process again.

Many thanks for your reply as I admitted on a previous post my terminology was somewhat misleading but I have always referred to my annual trip to Chaeng Wattana as my annual visa run. Of course it is the extension along with the multiple entry option that I get based on my age and the income proof that I provide on each occasions.

What I needed to know was if prior to going to Chaeng Wattana to complete this procedure I in fact arrived back in Thailand a short time before the normal annual renewal date and having obtained a new UK passport what would be my position. It appears from the helpful replies I have received that I would be admitted on the basis of the multiple entry stamp in my old passport and I could then proceed to attend Chaeng Wattana a short time later and apply for the next annual extension.