How to best translate this phrase

Stan42

Based on what I've read, it's really not easily translatable into English. It's a concept somewhat relating to not wanting to offend or disturb somebody else. A literal translation of the two words simply won't help you.

If it's the concept you're trying to understand, then simply google "greng jai" and you'll find a lot of comments about it. If you get to the point of somewhat understanding it, consider that a victory.

Don't want to bother or disturb you.

or

Am afraid to bother or disturb you.

That's the best I could come up with too, yet if you retranslate I don't want to bother/disturb you, you get mai yak robb gruan.

or

That's the best I could come up with too, yet if you retranslate I don't want to bother/disturb you, you get mai yak robb gruan.

As I understand it, there is also an idea of respect and obedience - I'd say "deference" is pretty close

Not translatable into English (unless you go into a several sentence explanation to do so) because we don't have the concept in the West. One of the things the Thais are way better at than us (showing respect/consideration in human relationships). We're too focused on "stick up for yourself/don't let anyone push you around/be your own person" bullshit. Easily translatable into languages such as Khmer, which have the exact same concept.

or

If you are fluent why not write it in Thai? coffee1.gif

or

As I understand it, there is also an idea of respect and obedience - I'd say "deference" is pretty close

I don't think respect is an ingredient of "greng jai". Perhaps, "the fear of causing someone to lose face" is better?

I think the word obeisance is useful but not many English speakers know what it means.