SRT remains inconclusive on two train collision in Ayutthaya

webfact

SRT remains inconclusive on two train collision in Ayutthaya

30-3-2558-10-53-53-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The State Railway of Thailand remains inconclusive if human error was the cause of two train collision in Ayutthaya province last week.

SRT governor Wuthichart Kallayanamitr said the actual cause was still undecided and a committee has been set up to probe.

The governor earlier blamed the collision of the Bangkok-Nong Khai and Bangkok-Denchai express trains on the recklessness of the driver of the No 107 Bangkok-Denchai express train.

But today he said investigation has not yet concluded as the team has to question all involved before making a conclusion, including the train driver who is still in hospital.

All bogies which jumped off the track after the collusion have all been cleared from the tracks and train services are back to normal.

More than 50 passengers were injured, two seriously, when a Bangkok-Denchai passenger train rammed at the rear of the Bangkok-Nong Khai train near Phachee district of Ayutthaya last week.

Reckless driving was initially blamed as cause of the incident which happened as the State Railways of Thailand celebrated its 118th establishment anniversary yesterday.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/srt-remains-inconclusive-on-two-train-collision-in-ayutthaya

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-03-30

a train runs up the bum of the one in front of it and they do not know if it is the drivers fault, who else are they going to blame the passengers, what a pack of morons, the driver is the one controlling the trains forward motion, who else is there to lay blame on but then again if the front train had no tail lights like all the scooters in Thailand then maybe he didnt see it.........

a train runs up the bum of the one in front of it and they do not know if it is the drivers fault, who else are they going to blame the passengers, what a pack of morons, the driver is the one controlling the trains forward motion, who else is there to lay blame on but then again if the front train had no tail lights like all the scooters in Thailand then maybe he didnt see it.........

Seajae

Whilst I agree it could be the drivers fault , there are also other credible reasons to consider such as infrastructure or mechanical failure

SRT is one of the most incompetent groups anywhere in the world when it comes to transport management. The 1940s trains, the enormous waste of money spent on the planing and execution of the airport link, train crossings comparable only to the most backward countries ... I suspect cronyism and nepotism are the culprits. Complex thinking ... cause and effect .... too complicated to worry about.

Edited by razer

BANGKOK: -- The State Railway of Thailand remains inconclusive if human error was the cause of two train collision in Ayutthaya province last week.

So, the trains had a moment of madness and decided to crash themselves.

Na, na, it was a Pee ..or a burmese driver ?

Who knows ? cheesy.gif

"State Railways of Thailand celebrated its 118th establishment anniversary yesterday."

And one of its hundreds of train accidents. They really need better PR.

How about going accident-free for two years before celebrating anything? But then there would never be a celebration.

Do they not have a signalling system here? I do know they have tokens that the driver holds to show he has right of way on a single track section, I've seen the station staff take it from them and hand them another one.

Sounds like you work for SRT with your vast working knowledge of railway operations, Rules Regulations and appendix instructions,

Hmm, lets see?

- Infrastructure defect/s

- Signaller's error

- Mechanical defect to Train

- and of course Driver error

So reason to investigate yet and find the real cause of the accident, I'll wager this is down to a signaller not setting up correct routing after first train came to a stand awaiting clearance into Station (Run off/Run in road to the left) this left the 2nd and 3rd track at switch point from how Iv read the situation, so 2nd train should have been switched back to run through mainline (Middle track, 2nd) and clear obstructing train along its right side... But untill all the facts come out I may be wrong...? whistling.gif

Sounds like you work for SRT with your vast working knowledge of railway operations, Rules Regulations and appendix instructions,

Hmm, lets see?

- Infrastructure defect/s

- Signaller's error

- Mechanical defect to Train

- and of course Driver error

So reason to investigate yet and find the real cause of the accident, I'll wager this is down to a signaller not setting up correct routing after first train came to a stand awaiting clearance into Station (Run off/Run in road to the left) this left the 2nd and 3rd track at switch point from how Iv read the situation, so 2nd train should have been switched back to run through mainline (Middle track, 2nd) and clear obstructing train along its right side... But untill all the facts come out I may be wrong...? whistling.gif

I dont know what the layout or signalling system is at this location, but my own personal opinion would be that it is unlikely to be a signaller error , unless they are operating a degraded system (such as permissive working) or are using a primitive type of signalling. With the scenario described above I would normally expect the interlocking to prevent such events

So, the trains had a moment of madness and decided to crash themselves.

Depends if the local bad spirit was in there at the time, lets blame it on a ghost, they will fall for that shit,

Edited by cookee68
  • Like 2

SRT is one of the most incompetent groups anywhere in the world when it comes to transport management. The 1940s trains, the enormous waste of money spent on the planing and execution of the airport link, train crossings comparable only to the most backward countries ... I suspect cronyism and nepotism are the culprits. Complex thinking ... cause and effect .... too complicated to worry about.

While I agree totally with what you say re the incompetance of the SRT, not all the trains are 1940s! See pic :)

post-184129-0-79448200-1427757200_thumb.

The responsibility for safe running falls on the drivers shoulders. The signalman is not in the cab of the loco, the framer of the rules and regulations isn't in the cab, and neither is the scheduler of daily running. The way I read it the driver passed a distance signal set to warning....which meant the next signal was a home signal and was on red.

The brakes, if they are using the Westinghouse system, are not likely to fail. Using the Westinghouse system a reduction in brake pipe pressure will cause the brakes to be applied. So a defective valve or a broken flexible hose pipe will cause the brakes to apply.

A driver that exercises poor train handling can cause the brake shoes to overheat which reduces braking efficiency. But this was a pass, not a heavily laden goods.

Do they not have a signalling system here? I do know they have tokens that the driver holds to show he has right of way on a single track section, I've seen the station staff take it from them and hand them another one.

The SRT signalling system is old fashioned, but providing the rules are followed by signallers and train crew,it is perfectly safe. I recall the section where this accident occurs was double track (actually triple - there was a relief line as well but not involved in this accident). So no "single track token". Instead the first train should clear each block section before the signal controlling entry ("home signal" is cleared to allow the following train to enter. Either the home signal was cleared in error (interlocking should prevent that) or the following train passed the home signal at danger.

Edited by JAG

Pretty ironic to have this news next to that one in the Thai Visa Newsletter:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/813195-japans-chartered-flight-ban-from-thailand-is-hurting-tourism-business/?utm_source=newsletter-20150330-1516&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

What has cause this train collision? humm... maybe the poor operational standards of the transport industry of Thailand in general?

Edited by MyrH

Whilst reading the comments on the crashes, it reminded me of the time recently that I tried to inform the station staff of a cracked rail in the track at Hua Hin Station. Its at the right hand end of the platform in the rail nearest to the platform. Have a look if you are at the station some time. Its cracked across and down to the vertical middle of the rail section.

I photographed it and tried to get a station operative interested as its going to cause a derailment eventualy. But alas, I am just a farang who should mind his own business as far as they were concerned. Well I hope nobody gets hurt if there is an accident.