what to do in Thailand at 47?

friend of mine want retired at 47yo in Thailand, he asked me if it s possible

If you mean can he be allowed long term stay based solely on being retired, No. He can get a non-imm visa ( O or O-A) based on the intention of eventually obtaining extensions of his stay based on retirement once he is 50, along with a few other requirements regarding finances.

There are some other options available while waiting until he turns 50, although most would mean some traveling in and out of Thailand to obtain visas. It would be helpful to know more about him and his plans.

There is one option for Baht 500,000, the Thai Elite Card which would allow him to stay for 5 years.

Sure he can. Get a triple entry, then see the neighboring countries, just for the heck of it. Get a nice furnished condo for six months out of the year and then travel back home to see your friends/relatives for a few months. You can do that a few times...then bam...you turn fifty...and you then know enough about whether you want to die here in Thailand or not. In other words....you need two or three years trial here...leave one foot in your home country....that foot is called a bank account and a residence. At fifty...you can put both feet here....or continue.

Whatever you/he wants to do (or not do). That is living in Thailand.

One advice, make sure you have a hobby or hobbies, that keep you busy and enjoyed.

If not you will end up in front of the boring Television.

I almost wrote TV, but some might think about this forum thencheesy.gif , but TVF can also be a hobby, see the daily, all day posters.

Back to TV (the square/rectangular box), so look movies, series all day and/or sit in the bar all day, drinking and whoring. Or get a few hobbies.

Learn different new skills in schools or by yourself, cooking, exercise, gardening, computer, languages, or anything always wanted to do back home, but never had the time, due to work.

Edited by ronthai

friend of mine want retired at 47yo in Thailand, he asked me if it s possible and what he is going to do all day long in LOS.

so guys, what you do in Thailand? when you are supposed to work hard in farangland and pay tax and wife.

The perfect age for a girl for a man is subtract 7 from age then half so tell him to do 20 year olds

i ended up taking small trips to neighboring countries, which later turned into splitting up the year 3 months each place.

which suits me and the visa just fine. you can find places that "feel like home" and use these as country homes so to speak, so you dont feel like a backpacker.

needing to remain in thailand all year is overrated, its so easy to explore around here, flights are only $50.

traveling is an excellent tonic for boredom.

Absolutely the best solution. If the OP's friend is retiring at 47, he should have the spare cash for a couple of trips to neighboring democracies and possibly one trip home each year and not have to bugger about with any Thai Immigration offices. It has the considerable upside of him possibly finding an even better place to finally hang his hat even if it doesn't all go down the toilet in LOS (and it will).

But if he insists, when he turns 50, he can get the requisite Non-O visa, start reporting and filing extensions, never leave the country and descend into bitter cynicism, bile and vitriol like most of the resident curmudgeons on this forum that are all well past their use by date.

friend of mine want retired at 47yo in Thailand, he asked me if it s possible and what he is going to do all day long in LOS.

so guys, what you do in Thailand? when you are supposed to work hard in farangland and pay tax and wife.

The perfect age for a girl for a man is subtract 7 from age then half so tell him to do 20 year olds

It's meant to be half your age plus 7. It's nonsense either way, though.

no he doesn't want pay 500k for an elite card. he thinks to fly out of Thailand, like Philippines.

he asked "what the difference between being bored at a dumb job vs bored in Thailand?"

So he's 47, unable to post his own questions on the forum and needs someone to supervise his playtime??

Sounds like a real winner. He's already complaining about being bored and has no idea what do if/when he retires. Should fit right in, in the TV Whiners & Moaners cabal. Tell him not to get a condo with a balcony above the first floor.

He sounds perfect for Thailand. He will find himself right at home.

It's meant to be half your age plus 7. It's nonsense either way, though.

Ye Gods ! Close but my wife is 1year under the Half + 7.

depends if you / he wants some drama in his life ... than get a ... THAI WIFE

preferable one from the bar... than you can write a book later how you got fleeced and did not see it comming as you were so deeply in love and she took every satang you had

Never give up on the Country of your birth and keep your home there. If your financial resources allow swap your cold Winters in Europe and rent six Months in Thailand.

Regulations in Thailand are forever changing and always be prepared to lose everything you bring. Don't be tempted by a pretty Girl to end up as meat on the table for herself and extended Family. If you do marry make sure the Lady is well educated so that you do not spend the Evenings looking at walls and ceilings and really not communicating.

Away from the big Cities Thailand does not offer anything except better weather and the attractions of normal tourism.

If you are an experienced and talented Business Person then much of this can be turned on its head. There is serious money to be made here but don't buy a bar. Often they don't make money but are a front for long term residence.

To be honest when i first came here i was 49 ,and i rogered anything with a pulse as long as it was female ,now my life is entirely different and very busy ,is that any help?thumbsup.gif

and i rogered anything with a pulse as long as it was female, I don't understand this bit, does that mean females of any age, any weight?

When I first came to Thailand, any female I "rogered" (where did you get that name?) had to be slim, under 40, pretty. There were/are

plenty of them about even if you didn't want to pay for it.

• Like 1

To be honest when i first came here i was 49 ,and i rogered anything with a pulse as long as it was female ,now my life is entirely different and very busy ,is that any help?thumbsup.gif

Isn't that what we all did (apart from SB)?

Read my post #52.

Why did you stop?

Did you get cock rot?

Read my post #52.

1. Why is it always that the question is being asked "for a friend" ?

2. If you, sorry, your friend, has no idea what to do when you, sorry, your friend arrives, then maybe best not come.

3. Oh, this is gunna hurt. I never agree with SB... but in this post he's pretty well spot on.

Just sayin..... Mal.

I think their has been quite an improvement in SBs posts lately.

The only reason for living in Thailand is the sex and drugs and rock and roll.

For you, perhaps. But I wish people like you wouldn't keep generalising all men into your tawdry worldview.

The first ones OK, the second?????????? the third, does that not belong back in the fifties?

Set a goal for him e.g. try and make it to age 48, without boredom, without going broke, without jumping off a building, without becoming a drunkard, without catching STD, without being ripped off by she who must be obeyed or anyone else for that matter? whistling.gif