CB and CBR owners, do you all have small feet?

AllanB

Which is what exactly?

Balls on the pegs. You must have very long toes if they can reach the gear lever from that position.

Balls on the pegs??

Correct???..certainly beneficial for serious race track riding [if competent] but not at all " correct " and or necessary for 99.9 % of riders on the roads....

Which is what exactly?

Balls on the pegs. You must have very long toes if they can reach the gear lever from that position.

Balls on the pegs??

Correct???..certainly beneficial for serious race track riding [if competent] but not at all " correct " and or necessary for 99.9 % of riders on the roads....

Yeah, you're right. Absolutely not necessary for riding 100cc step thru's biggrin.png

Which is what exactly?

Balls on the pegs??

Yeah, you're right. Absolutely not necessary for riding 100cc step thru's biggrin.png

If i recall correctly the OP does in fact ride a wave,but his query relates to CB and CBR's...so please try and keep up here..w00t.gif

Balls on the pegs??

If i recall correctly the OP does in fact ride a wave,but his query relates to CB and CBR's...so please try and keep up here..w00t.gif

Wasn't talking about the OP, clap2.gif

^^^^

Duhhhh i know that.rolleyes.gif .giggle.gif

But back to basics..give the trolling me a break and try and quantify your bizarre comments on two threads...this one first...you said that riding with balls of the feet on the footrests is ''correct"..i disputed this...now what you should do is either to agree that you were wrong and i am right [correct choice] or put up some evidence to the contrary...

^^^^

Duhhhh i know that.rolleyes.gif .giggle.gif

But back to basics..give the trolling me a break and try and quantify your bizarre comments on two threads...this one first...you said that riding with balls of the feet on the footrests is ''correct"..i disputed this...now what you should do is either to agree that you were wrong and i am right [correct choice] or put up some evidence to the contrary...

I know you're from down under but you've also got the process the wrong way round. If you state that I'm wrong, then you're the one that has to come up with evidence to the contrary.

p/s: and oh, give the trolling a break too biggrin.png

Edited by Gweiloman

On a sportbike or standard with the rear-sets positioned behind the rider's knees, riding with the balls of your feet on the pegs is correct if you're on a road or in a traffic situation that requires a lot of gear changes- I always do this unless I'm droning along on the highway and don't expect to do much shifting or repositioning of my body to set up for a turn, in which case I might move my feet a bit forward as it's a more comfortable position, but I have to move my left foot back again to properly shift. On a cruiser it may be a different story, but I have no real reference for that.

This article from Sport Rider Magazine references the proper technique:

http://www.sportrider.com/body-positioning-and-steering-techniques

post-176811-0-84114100-1428395613_thumb.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 1

On a sportbike or standard with the rear-sets positioned behind the rider's knees, riding with the balls of your feet on the pegs is correct if you're on a road or in a traffic situation that requires a lot of gear changes- I always do this unless I'm droning along on the highway and don't expect to do much shifting or repositioning of my body to set up for a turn, in which case I might move my feet a bit forward as it's a more comfortable position, but I have to move my left foot back again to properly shift. On a cruiser it may be a different story, but I have no real reference for that.

This article from Sport Rider Magazine references the proper technique:

http://www.sportrider.com/body-positioning-and-steering-techniques

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I have no beef with you..(DELETED)...but you say this; " riding with the balls of your feet on the pegs is correct if you're on a road or in a traffic situation that requires a lot of gear changes"

How can you make a lot of gear changes when the balls of your feet are on the footrests?

The link you provided says totally the opposite to your words; Anytime you're not using your feet for shifting or applying the rear brake, place the ball of your foot on the footpeg.

I think also that it is a personal choice..what is ''correct'' for some is not the same for others.

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

I have no beef with you..you do have a lot more credence than the other guy...but you say this; " riding with the balls of your feet on the pegs is correct if you're on a road or in a traffic situation that requires a lot of gear changes"

How can you make a lot of gear changes when the balls of your feet are on the footrests?

The link you provided says totally the opposite to your words; Anytime you're not using your feet for shifting or applying the rear brake, place the ball of your foot on the footpeg.

I think also that it is a personal choice..what is ''correct'' for some is not the same for others.

So which is which now? I stated that riding with the balls of the feet on the pegs is correct which you disputed but unable to provide any evidence to support your "theory". And now you have to back down to just saying that it's a personal choice?

RSD has kindly provided a link that argues that I'm right and you're wrong. Can you provide an alternative link?

(DELETED)

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

^^

What does a 'beef' have to do with anything?

You've misunderstood the point being made in the article- of course you can't shift with the balls of your feet on the pegs, but when actually shifting is the only time your feet should be in that forward position. The balls of your feet should be on the pegs until it's necessry to make a move to the shift lever (obviously- even on a tight track- you spend more time between shifts than you actually spend in the act of moving the lever)- this allows you to properly position your body to prepare for the upcoming turn. You go from the balls of your feet to moving forward and making the necessary shift(s) as quickly as possible, and then back to the balls of your feet. Foot position is not only about shifting on a sportbike.

As it says, anytime your not shifting or braking, the balls of your feet belong on the pegs- this will be the majority of the time you're in the saddle.

Yes, it's a personal choice, but that doesn't mean you're necessarliy making the best or correct choice, especially for performance riding. For cruising, sure, feet back is fine, but on the bike in question in the OP, anything but a rearward position is going to lead to shifting difficulties (QED with the OP's experience, where others with the same bike and similarly-sized feet have no issues).

Edited by RubberSideDown

^^

You've misunderstood the point being made in the article- of course you can't shift with the balls of your feet on the pegs, but when actually shifting is the only time your feet should be in that forward position. The balls of your feet should be on the pegs until it's necessry to make a move to the shift lever (obviously- even on a tight track- you spend more time between shifts than you actually spend in the act of moving the lever)- this allows you to properly position your body to prepare for the upcoming turn. You go from the balls of your feet to moving forward and making the necessary shift(s) as quickly as possible, and then back to the balls of your feet. Foot position is not only about shifting on a sportbike.

As it says, anytime your not shifting or braking, the balls of your feet belong on the pegs- this will be the majority of the time you're in the saddle.

Yes, it's a personal choice, but that doesn't mean you're necessarliy making the best or correct choice, especially for performance riding. For cruising, sure, feet back is fine, but on the bike in question in the OP, anything but a rearward position is going to lead to shifting difficulties (QED with the OP's experience, where others with the same bike and similarly-sized feet have no issues).

Ok thank you for clarifying this I can concede that it is correct to do as you say but it is not very common..

Honda and Kawasaki offer free courses which includes body position, countersteering, throttle control, slaloming etc. for all level of riders, from beginners to those in need of refresher courses.

Very useful, for both street and track riding. Includes off roading as well, done with the Siam Enduro Club guys and gals. Great fun.

^^

No beef

TOP DEFINITION
Not trying to start an argument or tension. wai2.gif

I would have thought it would depend on what bike you are riding and what you are doing at the time. It would make sense to be on the balls of your feet while off-roading to absorb the bumps, or on a racing bike for better control and balance (I guess). But the CB300 is neither of these and I won't be racing, so I will not be riding like that and as a prospective buyer, it is all about me.

Now for the rub,,,,(cough cough!) I looked at a CB300 at another dealer in KK today (the cheeky bugga wants 135k baht) and the pegs appear to be different, they are bigger and if I didn't know better they are further back from the lever ends. So I will have to go back to the original dealer with a tape measure and check. I have ridden a CBR250 before and managed to change gear before without recalling that as a problem..

Will let you know but certainly this one was okay for me, with a full 5" between peg and lever end. Maybe the other one had a fault, or a modification??

Allan, we will never be able to consider you as a serious rider with an attitude like this. The CB300 is made for performance riding. And you have to permanently improve your riding skills and work on your body positioning. This has nothing to do with racing. Its for your own safety. Please consider this! We have to keep this forum on its high level. Riding is not just for having fun! wink.pngwink.png

Pictures of pegs and levers please, best with a tape measure visible for comparison smile.png

I would have thought it would depend on what bike you are riding and what you are doing at the time. It would make sense to be on the balls of your feet while off-roading to absorb the bumps, or on a racing bike for better control and balance (I guess). But the CB300 is neither of these and I won't be racing, so I will not be riding like that and as a prospective buyer, it is all about me.

Now for the rub,,,,(cough cough!) I looked at a CB300 at another dealer in KK today (the cheeky bugga wants 135k baht) and the pegs appear to be different, they are bigger and if I didn't know better they are further back from the lever ends. So I will have to go back to the original dealer with a tape measure and check. I have ridden a CBR250 before and managed to change gear before without recalling that as a problem..

Will let you know but certainly this one was okay for me, with a full 5" between peg and lever end. Maybe the other one had a fault, or a modification??

Alan I'm almost certain the rear sets (pedals) of the CBR250 are identical to the CB300. So just go for it, buy the bike I'm sure you will be fine.

My friend has recently bought this bike, he is 6'4 with size 12UK feet and has reported no issues with changing gear.

Edited by macknife

Allan, we will never be able to consider you as a serious rider with an attitude like this. The CB300 is made for performance riding. And you have to permanently improve your riding skills and work on your body positioning. This has nothing to do with racing. Its for your own safety. Please consider this! We have to keep this forum on its high level. Riding is not just for having fun! wink.pngwink.png

Pictures of pegs and levers please, best with a tape measure visible for comparison smile.png

Anyone will tell you I am the most serious rider on this forum, I religiously put my knee down on every corner and change my titanium strips every week ..and I never swear like all the other insulting mother BLEEP... BLEEP, BLEEP, test tickles, neither. crazy.gif

If I am comfortable on a bike, I will suffer less fatigue, maintain better concentration and subsequently be a better rider, but if I am cramped, that will occupy my mind instead of the road ahead...and behind...and I will do what I don't wanna do...fall off.hit-the-fan.gif Also I will hate the damn thing.

My missus has run off with the milkman Wave this morning, so will have to wait, plus I have to pick a monk up from the bus stationwhistling.gif ,... but will take some pictures later. I want to find out whether my prowess as Britain's number two engineer (after Isambard Kingdom Brunnel) is under question.

Anyone will tell you I am the most serious rider on this forum, I religiously put my knee down on every corner and change my titanium strips every week ..and I never swear like all the other insulting mother BLEEP... BLEEP, BLEEP, test tickles, neither. crazy.gif

If I am comfortable on a bike, I will suffer less fatigue, maintain better concentration and subsequently be a better rider, but if I am cramped, that will occupy my mind instead of the road ahead...and behind...and I will do what I don't wanna do...fall off.hit-the-fan.gif Also I will hate the damn thing.

My missus has run off with the milkman Wave this morning, so will have to wait, plus I have to pick a monk up from the bus stationwhistling.gif ,... but will take some pictures later. I want to find out whether my prowess as Britain's number two engineer (after Isambard Kingdom Brunnel) is under question.

Ever thought about trading in your bikes for a car or pickup? Might suit you better.

Ever thought about trading in your bikes for a car or pickup? Might suit you better.

I have an Isuzu pickup, boring as kcuf, why do you think I ride a big bike?

So it's a case of riding a dangerous bike and living a bit longer......wink.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, Cosmo! Nice quote from Burke. Bertrand Russell is my favourite...

Terming the CB300F a 'performance bike' is a HUGE stretch; don't get me wrong, I will buy one after riding a friend's 300 for 30 minutes.

Had intended the CB500F but now feel the extra 36% cost is not justified for me, a single rider.

Beautiful machine, both to look at and to ride; light, nimble, smooth [for a single], quiet, excellent clutch, gearbox, motor and frame.

[The 400 four I tried felt like a lumpy dinosaur in comparison and that it is the bike I LOVED in my youth].

One small criticism- first gear is too low, riding slowly in traffic is a bit demanding; online it is suggested that a 15 tooth front sprocket

is the answer, replacing the 14 tooth OEM sprocket. I think/hope these numbers are correct!

Performance bikes start at 600cc, IMO and reach the summit with the BMW R1000RR... Not that I could ever aspire to that level of excellence!

Hello, Cosmo! Nice quote from Burke. Bertrand Russell is my favourite...

Terming the CB300F a 'performance bike' is a HUGE stretch; don't get me wrong, I will buy one after riding a friend's 300 for 30 minutes.

Had intended the CB500F but now feel the extra 36% cost is not justified for me, a single rider.

Beautiful machine, both to look at and to ride; light, nimble, smooth [for a single], quiet, excellent clutch, gearbox, motor and frame.

[The 400 four I tried felt like a lumpy dinosaur in comparison and that it is the bike I LOVED in my youth].

One small criticism- first gear is too low, riding slowly in traffic is a bit demanding; online it is suggested that a 15 tooth front sprocket

is the answer, replacing the 14 tooth OEM sprocket. I think/hope these numbers are correct!

Performance bikes start at 600cc, IMO and reach the summit with the BMW R1000RR... Not that I could ever aspire to that level of excellence!

Never really use 1st.. just to start.. it is short.. if I am going very slow in between cars I am in 2nd. Sometimes even start in 2nd.