UN Expert slams PM's threat to media

webfact

Expert slams PM's threat to media
THE NATION

30257224-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A UNITED Nations expert on freedom of expression, David Kaye, yesterday urged Thailand to distance itself from the prime minister's intimidating statements against freedom of press, and take immediate measures to allow space for debate and freedom of expression.

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha said recently that journalists who criticised him or "caused divisions" could be "executed", and that he enjoyed "the power to close down the media, arrest people, or order people to be shot".

"I condemn General Prayut's statements," the UN special rapporteur on promotion and protection of the right to freedom of opinion and expression said. "After a year of killings and terrible violence against journalists worldwide, such statements are simply outrageous.

The Special Rapporteur noted that he receives reports from all over the world about attacks, killings and record numbers of journalists imprisoned, "designed to silence criticism and deny citizens the right of access to information."

"Intimidation of journalists is by definition an attack on the public's right to know.

"There is no sense that General Prayuth spoke in jest," the expert said. "But even if he did, the idea that the killing of journalists - let alone shutting down of media - can be a laughing matter is reprehensible."

Kaye stated that Thailand should take urgent steps to lift the imposition of martial law, while expressing strong concerns about possible invocation of Article 44 that would further provide Prayut unlimited authority. He also expressed concern over the rising number of arrests and detentions under the lese majeste law and Computer Crime Act.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Expert-slams-PMs-threat-to-media-30257224.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-02

• Like 2

In Post 3 i forget to ask if there's any chance the NLA will decide to ' summon ' him to explain ?

Under article 44 no need to summons him. If he comes within reach just grab him and throw in a dungeon without charge and forget about him for the 90 years.
  • Like 2

In Post 3 i forget to ask if there's any chance the NLA will decide to ' summon ' him to explain ?

Can he summons himself, interrogate himself, and then charge himself as guilty in court? Even execute himself? Interesting concept.

That's absolute power, that is..... giggle.gif

The ultimate sin Mr. Kaye as you've criticised the PM by telling it as it is.

Standby for a broadside about interfering and not understanding Thailand, Thais and Thainess.

'Mr Kaye is not my father'
  • Like 1

As much as I detest the un I think the PM could have been a bit more diplomatic when he threated the guy.

Something like:

PM "Dave do you remember back in time when the world had leaders like Hitler, Stalin, Mao Zedong, etc and what happened to journalists that portrayed those leaders in a bad light?"

David 'Yes'

PM "A similar thing could happen today."

Diplomacy, getting the message across without looking bad after you do it!

Edited by BSJ

A UNITED Nations expert on freedom of expression, David Kaye, yesterday urged Thailand to distance itself from the prime minister's intimidating statements against freedom of press, and take immediate measures to allow space for debate and freedom of expression.

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha said recently that journalists who criticised him or "caused divisions" could be "executed", and that he enjoyed "the power to close down the media, arrest people, or order people to be shot".

And what about the PM's right to 'freedom of expression'? If anyone in the media took his 'death threats' seriously, maybe they lack an adult grasp of the nuances of language such as sarcasm and irony.

Along the same lines, how old is Mr. Kaye BTW? He sounds like a kid as well.

A UNITED Nations expert on freedom of expression, David Kaye, yesterday urged Thailand to distance itself from the prime minister's intimidating statements against freedom of press, and take immediate measures to allow space for debate and freedom of expression.

And what about the PM's right to 'freedom of expression'? If anyone in the media took his 'death threats' seriously, maybe they lack an adult grasp of the nuances of language such as sarcasm and irony.

I can't figure out if you're serious or being facetious. I hope it's the latter.

Standby for a broadside about interfering and not understanding Thailand, Thais and Thainess.

I'm starting to wonder whether or not Prayut actually has a father ....

Of course, there is an English term for that kind of offspring..... giggle.gif

• Like 2

Is that the one that can also be used for certain types of governments ?

Dunno. But I'll give you a Chalerm-like clue. It might begin with 'B'.......... cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Dunno. But I'll give you a Chalerm-like clue. It might begin with 'B'.......... cheesy.gif

It's a term of endearment in Australia, like "How you going you old b......., how they hanging?" If you get addressed with the B word then you know you have made it.
  • Like 1

His freedom of expression to take away everybody else's freedom is sarcasm and irony? The irony is that idiotic childlike people have fallen for it. How old are you, by the way?

Me? Old enough to remember Danny Kaye.

Now he was really childlike. What's your excuse?

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1