It's official: Thai toilets need to be cleaned

Thaivisa News

It's official: Thai toilets need to be cleaned

thai-toilet.png

Bangkok – Relevant agencies have launched the nationwide campaign for public toilet cleaning ahead of Songkran festival.

The campaign, jointly carried out by the Public Health Ministry, the Tourism and Sports Ministry, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration and other agencies, is being implemented on April 1 – 7.

Public Health Minister Rajata Rajatanavin said the authorities have projected about three million tourist arrivals for the five-day Thai New Year celebrations.

Based on a survey done by the Health Department, public toilet cleanliness is the top priority and necessity demanded by Thai and foreign travellers.

Rajata said he expected the campaign to boost the convenience of tourists as well as helping to raise awareness on hygiene and cleanliness as a preventive measure for contagious disease control.

The Health report has indicated that among public toilet facilities in the survey sampling, toilet spray hose is most prone to spread disease (85 per cent), followed by toilet floor (50 per cent), toilet seat (31 per cent), flushing handle and men urinal (8 per cent) and washing faucet (3 per cent).

The promotion of toilet cleanliness will target 12 public places, including education institutions, government agencies, hospitals, temples, petrol stations, tourist destinations, parks and shopping malls.

The other public places are restaurants, markets, passenger terminals and roadside toilets.

The campaign criteria include good hygiene, accessibility and safety.

A standard public toilet should have full facilities in working order, no foul smell and good lighting. The facilities should be accessible to the handicapped and separated by gender.

Tourists demand clean toilets in petrol stations as the topmost priority, followed by those in popular destinations and in passenger terminals.

• Like 1

lol remember a while back where i have shop,behind is a massage parlour for chinese trippers,well they obviously had the right idea and ripped out the european toilets and replaced em with squatting holes,i'm no squatter so i use the posh hotel toilets instead situated beside parlour.

lol remember a while back where i have shop,behind is a massage parlour for chinese trippers,well they obviously had the right idea and ripped out the european toilets and replaced em with squatting holes,i'm no squatter so i use the posh hotel toilets instead situated beside parlour.

It isn't difficult to change the toilet style......Can do every way...

Good initiative......hope they carry it on.

Just a small request from me please;

Can you ask the female toilet attendants not to come and watch me when I'm urinating?

I know....I'm asking for a lot.........but may be one day...................

She just wanted to check, if her friend was telling the truth:

"Farang 3 new"............cheesy.gif

• Like 2

Over the last 13 years or so I have seen an improvement in Toilets, especially in Bangkok. The squatters are fewer than before and cleaner. I still get frustrated when I see foot prints on a western style toilet though.facepalm.gif As Thais are getting bigger in general, I certainly a big ass, can we see bigger toilets seats and ones that are a little higher. Then I will be very pleased.biggrin.png

Over the last 13 years or so I have seen an improvement in Toilets, especially in Bangkok. The squatters are fewer than before and cleaner. I still get frustrated when I see foot prints on a western style toilet though.facepalm.gif As Thais are getting bigger in general, I certainly a big ass, can we see bigger toilets seats and ones that are a little higher. Then I will be very pleased.biggrin.png

What is bigger? You mean you need a more elongated bowl, don't you?

• Like 1

What is bigger? You mean you need a more elongated bowl, don't you?

ELONGATED in which direction? Or should we say deepened?

Edited by Traveller45
  • Like 1

I can tell you that the Chinese will have no problem with Thai toilets. Having lived 20 years in China, I can confirm that Chinese toilets are easily the dirtiest, smelliest and most unhygienic toilets in the world!! The tourist will marvel at the Thai toilets - believe me!!

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Can you ask the female toilet attendants not to come and watch me when I'm urinating?

Had to chuckle when I read your post. Happens to me more often than I care to think about and usually "on the road" stopping off at a PTT for a bio break. How many times I've seriously considered turning for the shock value of it!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Had to chuckle when I read your post. Happens to me more often than I care to think about and usually "on the road" stopping off at a PTT for a bio break. How many times I've seriously considered turning for the shock value of it!

Better not! You may be the one who gets the shock, from a ladyboy cleaner...?

.........and what about the asses?.......I see a lot of people walking funny after visiting one of these facilities. Like in India and Egypt, Its not wise to shake hands in these parts of the world! You never know who is right handed or left handed.

Edited by Daniel Ingalls