Yellow tabien baan - Baan Khun Tian / Bangkok

I just got Yellow Tabien Baan from local office and this is what was required (note that different offices may require different documents):

1. Went to the local office and asked for list of docs required:

- Legalized translated copy of your passport picture page (Embassy then Thai MoFA)

- Legalized translated copy of my birth certificate (need to see my mother and father names and nationality)

- Original + copy of marriage certificate

- Original + copy of child birth cert.

- Original + copy of wife ID

- Original + copy of blue tabien baan

- Original + copy of ID card of two witnesses

- 6x 1" photo

- Original passport + old passport showing my 1st visit to Thailand

2. I did not take it as a priority so organizing above docs took approx 4-5 months. Once I had all docs ready we submitted to the office and waited for an appointment with the chief (I did not want to wait there for few hrs while they were checking the docs)

3. It took another 2-3 weeks to find a suitable dates (as said above, it was not my priority) and the process was following:

- Both witnesses have to appear in person and sign some forms including one with my photo certifying it's me

- All must have original ID cards because they need to be inserted into PC reader for verification

- I had to sign few more Thai forms and in record book

- The paperwork then went 2 more officers for verifications and then I was given yellow book (free)

all above took around 30-40 min, no questions asked.

Notes

- Make sure your name on passport is translated exactly the same as your name on marriage certificate or any other documents

• Like 2

Thanks for the accurate description.

It sounds like your office adhered strictly to the rules (as far as they are known), full requirements.

Correct, but extensive.

I am in similar situation (married to a Thai woman since 1999), but no kids and living in the sticks.

After living in Thailand for two years we went to the Amphoe (2013).

Took two days (!), simple translations from a local certified translator sufficed,

No witnesses required.

No embassy, no MFA.

I read of an unlucky guy (in a German language form) who was confronted with absurd requirements and had to give up.

Another example how wide the variations in bureaucratic procedures can be.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I did mine at Chonburi in 2010. They took a copy of the marriage certificate. my passport, wife's ID and Blue Book and a photograph. I had to fill in a couple of forms and it took 6 weeks to get it. Had to wait for the police check to be done.

Thanks for the accurate description.

It sounds like your office adhered strictly to the rules (as far as they are known), full requirements.

Correct, but extensive.

I am in similar situation (married to a Thai woman since 1999), but no kids and living in the sticks.

After living in Thailand for two years we went to the Amphoe (2013).

Took two days (!), simple translations from a local certified translator sufficed,

No witnesses required.

No embassy, no MFA.

I read of an unlucky guy (in a German language form) who was confronted with absurd requirements and had to give up.

Another example how wide the variations in bureaucratic procedures can be.

The yellow book has no use except proof of address, and there are plenty of simple documents to use in its place for proof of address. e.g any bills with your name and address on it. People who have them think they have something special. Anyone can get one. I think Personally I think they are a bit of a joke.

The yellow book has no use except proof of address, and there are plenty of simple documents to use in its place for proof of address. e.g any bills with your name and address on it. People who have them think they have something special. Anyone can get one. I think Personally I think they are a bit of a joke.

Thanks for the informative and useful input. Much appreciated.coffee1.gif

• Like 1

You are mostly correct except for the statement that "anyone can get one"...

Just for the hell of it , I tried to get one from the local Kweng.

First they said that we had to have two witnesses

When we had two witnesses they said we had to be married

When we were married they said that we needed a government employee witness

When we had a government employee witness lined up they said that we had to have children

Then I gave up...

In Roi Et the Amphur are very accommodating and speak good English.

For my Tabian Ban, I only required the following;

Original Documents.

1. Passport.

2. Tabian Ban. (House owners)

Copies.

1. Passport Home Page.

2. Passport page of current Visa or Extension

3. House ownersTabian Ban (signed with tele number)

4. House owners ID card (signed with telephone number)

5. Certificate of Residence (Obtained from Roi Et Police station)

6. Translation of Passport Home Page into Thai, with attached photo.

7. 2nd Passport Photo for the application form.

My landlady had to accompany me to sign the application form. I translated the homepage of my passport using IM translator (legalisation not required)

40 minutes, in and out with my own Yellow Book.

I did ask the boss at our Amphur why so many foreigners have problems getting a Tabian Ban (Yellow Book).

He blames the Amphurs for not knowing the correct procedure when it comes to dealing with foreigners, so they make their own rules to cover their own incompetence and make it virtually impossible.

Edited by Faz

In Roi Et the Amphur are very accommodating and speak good English.

For my Tabian Ban, I only required the following;

Original Documents.

1. Passport.

2. Tabian Ban. (House owners)

Copies.

1. Passport Home Page.

2. Passport page of current Visa or Extension

3. House ownersTabian Ban (signed with tele number)

4. House owners ID card (signed with telephone number)

5. Certificate of Residence (Obtained from Roi Et Police station)

6. Translation of Passport Home Page into Thai, with attached photo.

7. 2nd Passport Photo for the application form.

My landlady had to accompany me to sign the application form. I translated the homepage of my passport using IM translator (legalisation not required)

40 minutes, in and out with my own Yellow Book.

I did ask the boss at our Amphur why so many foreigners have problems getting a Tabian Ban (Yellow Book).

He blames the Amphurs for not knowing the correct procedure when it comes to dealing with foreigners, so they make their own rules to cover their own incompetence and make it virtually impossible.

Personal circumstances come into play so there are no standard or correct requirements.

When I applied for mine there was no House owners Tabian Baan or Certificate of Residence. It was a new build and my wife and I applied at the same time. My wife got hers a couple of days later and as I said previously mine was about 6 weeks as they required a police check.

What personal circumstances? Such as?

There is an Act covering this issue and the requirements are the same.

It is quite simple, there cannot be a "House owners Tabian Baan" when no Tabian Baans have ever been issued.

The Tabian Baan number is the house registration number, my Tabian Baan and my wife's Tabian Baan have the same number.

When we applied for the books it was the first issue on a new property and she had to hand in her old blue book so she could be issued with a new one.

This is completely different to someone living in rented property. Not all situations are the same.

• Like 1

sandyf, on 04 Apr 2015 - 14:37, said:sandyf, on 04 Apr 2015 - 14:37, said:
Faz, on 04 Apr 2015 - 14:22, said:Faz, on 04 Apr 2015 - 14:22, said:

It is quite simple, there cannot be a "House owners Tabian Baan" when no Tabian Baans have ever been issued.

The Tabian Baan number is the house registration number, my Tabian Baan and my wife's Tabian Baan have the same number.

When we applied for the books it was the first issue on a new property and she had to hand in her old blue book so she could be issued with a new one.

This is completely different to someone living in rented property. Not all situations are the same.

As long as you have temporary permission to stay in Thailand then you are entitled to apply for a Tabian Ban.

It has nothing to do with whether you own, rent, are married or single.

The conditions are proof of ID (translated into Thai) and proof of address (deeds, landlords ID and Tabian Ban) and the witness of the owner of the Blue Book.

In your case Sandy your wife probably did the paperwork on your behalf because you were married, marriage certificate and registering the new house.

There's always more than one way to achieve the requirement for documentation.

Edit: I'm single, live in rented accommodation and had a Non Imm O Visa when I got my Tabian Ban.

Edited by Faz
  • Like 1

sandyf, on 04 Apr 2015 - 14:37, said:sandyf, on 04 Apr 2015 - 14:37, said:
Faz, on 04 Apr 2015 - 14:22, said:Faz, on 04 Apr 2015 - 14:22, said:

As long as you have temporary permission to stay in Thailand then you are entitled to apply for a Tabian Ban.

The conditions are proof of ID (translated into Thai) and proof of address (deeds, landlords ID and Tabian Ban) and the witness of the owner of the Blue Book.

In your case Sandy your wife probably did the paperwork on your behalf because you were married, marriage certificate and registering the new house.

Edit: I'm single, live in rented accommodation and had a Non Imm O Visa when I got my Tabian Ban.

I have not made any comment on eligibility,

Do not make statements about what my wife may or may not have done.

"There's always more than one way to achieve the requirement for documentation."

exactly as I said in the beginning, requirements can vary subject to circumstances.

sandyf, on 04 Apr 2015 - 15:38, said:sandyf, on 04 Apr 2015 - 15:38, said:
Faz, on 04 Apr 2015 - 15:24, said:Faz, on 04 Apr 2015 - 15:24, said:
sandyf, on 04 Apr 2015 - 14:37, said:sandyf, on 04 Apr 2015 - 14:37, said:sandyf, on 04 Apr 2015 - 14:37, said:sandyf, on 04 Apr 2015 - 14:37, said:
Faz, on 04 Apr 2015 - 14:22, said:Faz, on 04 Apr 2015 - 14:22, said:Faz, on 04 Apr 2015 - 14:22, said:Faz, on 04 Apr 2015 - 14:22, said:

I have not made any comment on eligibility,

Do not make statements about what my wife may or may not have done.

"There's always more than one way to achieve the requirement for documentation."

exactly as I said in the beginning, requirements can vary subject to circumstances.

I'll politely disagree Sandy. The requirements remain the same, it's what documents you supply to meet the requirement that can differ.

Take proof of address as a 'requirement' of Immigration.

There are a number of different documents available to meet the same 'requirement'

The documents differ, the 'requirement' remains the same.

That's as succinct as I can be.

Edited by Faz

Since I'm in daily contact with various government institutions, this makes my life lot easier.

You are wrong. There are many uses, the most useful is being able t apply for citizenship.Maybe you're happy being just a guest?

The requirements as stated in the Act may be the same, but the interpretation by the different officials in different districts is certainly not the same...

See my post #7... and the many posts regarding Yellow Tabian Baan acquisition that are on TV.

It took me two attempts to get my yellow house registration.

One of the things on the first attempt was the often used fob-off about having to be married. When I pointed out that it was not a requirement, the guy at that time went on to another fob-off excuse.

A few weeks later, my girlfriend made a point of finding out the name of the boss of the house registration department at the amphur, and we went to see her directly.

Again she started with the need to be married, which I politely corrected her wasn't a requirement, as I'd already asked at their head office at Cheang Wattana. (I hadn't, but she wasn't to know that.)

Then she asked why we weren't married. (Been together eight years, but we had seen no need to marry.) My girlfriend pulled a master stroke here. She said her sister was living in Finland and wanted to adopt her son, in order for him to get a better education there. If we married, I was worried that changing her surname might put the adoption process at a disadvantage, not having a Thai surname any more. (The fact that the wife doesn't now have to change to the husband's surname was missed by the boss.)

She accepted this as a valid reason and after a few more questions, told the staff to organise a yellow book.

My name translated into Thai (from my passport details) had been done already. My surname in English is always mispronounced by Thais (apart from once, by one police officer who had lived in Australia for ten years). My written Thai is almost reasonable, so I had already written my name in Thai (so it would be pronounced correctly) and given it to the translation office for them to use, explaining why.

The yellow book was completed the following day.

As an aside, on the yellow book, you get a Thai ID number allocated. The first digit will be a 6 – that's those who entered Thailand intending to stay temporarily (that categroy also covers people who entered illegally too). Next four digits indicate where you were enrolled into the Thai ID system (as a foreigner, not a Thai, obviously).

• Like 2

As an aside, on the yellow book, you get a Thai ID number allocated. The first digit will be a 6 – that's those who entered Thailand intending to stay temporarily (that categroy also covers people who entered illegally too). Next four digits indicate where you were enrolled into the Thai ID system (as a foreigner, not a Thai, obviously).

The 4 digits are the same, my number starts 6-2001 and my wife is 3-2001.

Following the region code there is a 5 digit code and I noticed that is the same for my wife, her mother and her father.

The remainder of my number is 01005-20-00, which I think is the date as the book was issued on 20th May 2010.

Following the region code there is a 5 digit code and I noticed that is the same for my wife, her mother and her father.

The remainder of my number is 01005-20-00, which I think is the date as the book was issued on 20th May 2010.

“The 4 digits are the same, my number starts 6-2001 and my wife is 3-2001.

The remainder of my number is 01005-20-00, which I think is the date as the book was issued on 20th May 2010.”

Are we talking about the same number here?

I'm a bit baffled as the ID number is thirteen digits long. The way I read your post, your ID number is fourteen digits?

On the page with your details, the first number at the top is eleven digits - the house ID, including the same coding in the first four digits, for province & amphur)

Your ID number is in the third printed line of text.

I think you'll find within that 13 digit ID number, the first digit “3” on your wife's ID just indicates she was in the system before 31 May 1984. Then in the first block of four digits after that, the first two indicate the province and the third and fourth indicates the amphur.

I haven't seen a list of all codes for the provinces, but a pure guess here – 20 might be Chonburi? and the 01 is the amphur muang office within that province.

“The 4 digits are the same, my number starts 6-2001 and my wife is 3-2001.

The remainder of my number is 01005-20-00, which I think is the date as the book was issued on 20th May 2010.”

Are we talking about the same number here?

I'm a bit baffled as the ID number is thirteen digits long. The way I read your post, your ID number is fourteen digits?

On the page with your details, the first number at the top is eleven digits - the house ID, including the same coding in the first four digits, for province & amphur)

Your ID number is in the third printed line of text.

I think you'll find within that 13 digit ID number, the first digit “3” on your wife's ID just indicates she was in the system before 31 May 1984. Then in the first block of four digits after that, the first two indicate the province and the third and fourth indicates the amphur.

I haven't seen a list of all codes for the provinces, but a pure guess here – 20 might be Chonburi? and the 01 is the amphur muang office within that province.

You are right about the 13 digits. I put a double zero at the end by mistake.

My house code is 2001-126242-7 and my id is 6-2001-01005-20-0

Wife's house code is 2001-126242-7 and id is 3-2001-00xxx-xx-x

It is fairly obvious that 2001 is the area code but others ?. The only difference between my wife, her father and mother lie in the last 3 digits. Just a bit of a coincidence that my number 01005-20 was issued on 20th May 2010.

It may also be a coincidence that the last digit of the house code is 7, and that we are on Moo 7.

I have a translation of my yellow book and it could be misconstrued quite easily. At the bottom of the first page is the statement " The Person residing in Thailand illegally or temporarily." and to the right is the number 1. The same statement appears at the top of the second page with the number 2 to the right, the numbers are in fact page numbers.

Why have a translation? I use it to support my status in Thailand when doing a visitor visa fro my wife. May not count for much but does not do any harm.

But I bet you wish you had one. rolleyes.gif

They do have their uses as others have said. Those who for some reason or other cannot obtain one often pooh pooh others who have been more fortunate with their respective ampur offices. As for them being a joke, I find many other things more amusing.

• 7 months later...

I collected my yellow book from the Wattana district office today. It was a fairly painless procedure. I had to supply the requested documents then attend about a month later for an interview. I needed 2 witnesses.

The interview took about 2 hours. After that it took about 6 weeks for the book to be ready for collection. There was no charge for the book.

post-234880-0-20777100-1447753291_thumb.