Holder of Non-Immigrant B visa with valid work permit - required to have 20,000 baht "show money"

In over three years, I have made numerous re-entries on my Non-Immigrant B multiple entry visa with my valid work permit. For the first time, a long line of us returning from Penang, were each, individually, told that we must produce 20,000฿ (or whisper, whisper) slip 200฿ to the officer. I am well aware that tourists and those on Ed visas can be (and now usually if not always,are) required to do so. My understanding of the immigration law though was that a holder of a Non-B visa with valid work permit was not required to do so. Can you please advise and, if you would be so kind, provide the actual section of the immigration act that applies? 200฿ is not a lot, naturally and while we don't wish to make waves.....it is the principle of the thing! Those of us who have already gone through the hoops of full compliance with the work laws and thus acquired a business visa and work permit, feel that this is an unfair, if not illegal, treatment!

• Like 1

In over three years, I have made numerous re-entries on my Non-Immigrant B multiple entry visa with my valid work permit. For the first time, a long line of us returning from Penang, were each, individually, told that we must produce 20,000฿ (or whisper, whisper) slip 200฿ to the officer. I am well aware that tourists and those on Ed visas can be (and now usually if not always,are) required to do so. My understanding of the immigration law though was that a holder of a Non-B visa with valid work permit was not required to do so. Can you please advise and, if you would be so kind, provide the actual section of the immigration act that applies? 200฿ is not a lot, naturally and while we don't wish to make waves.....it is the principle of the thing! Those of us who have already gone through the hoops of full compliance with the work laws and thus acquired a business visa and work permit, feel that this is an unfair, if not illegal, treatment!

That happens normally in Sadao/Dannok. You can read countless postings about that. The requirement of showing Bt 20,000 is legal and published, so your choice being informed about to satisfying it, or pay up.
Edited by paz

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That happens normally in Sadao/Dannok. You can read countless postings about that. The requirement of showing Bt 20,000 is legal and published, so your choice being informed about to satisfying it, or pay up.

Check here !

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15405-General-information.html

Immigration officers are indeed legally able to satisfy themselves that those requesting entry have sufficient funds !

Yes, what would you do if you had a medical emergency and wanted to be admitted to a private hospital? That 20,000 baht would really come in handy. Frankly, I can't believe that anyone would travel around Thailand without at least that amount available from an ATM card of a Thai bank,

• Like 2

So show them 20k or give them 200?

I'd make sure I had 200 in my shirt pocket.

I'm always surprised by the number of people that doesn't have or doesn't want to carry that little money.

I wonder how they would do in a real emergency when having cash makes all the difference.

I didn't say I wouldn't want to carry it, I said I would rather not show it.

Once it has been determined you have cash, it could make you a target for any number of additional shakedowns.

They want money, do you think once you show it to them they quit wanting it? I think not.

Yes, what would you do if you had a medical emergency and wanted to be admitted to a private hospital? That 20,000 baht would really come in handy. Frankly, I can't believe that anyone would travel around Thailand without at least that amount available from an ATM card of a Thai bank,

Most all the private hospitals take credit cards, yes?

• Like 1

Try to imagine yourself in an real emergency situation. It doesn't have to be with dealing with a "private hospital", also because there may not be one. Cards lost/stolen or blocked. Cash is king. However, if you want to think of Thailand and all the border countries as your home country, no problem.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Check here !

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15405-General-information.html

Immigration officers are indeed legally able to satisfy themselves that those requesting entry have sufficient funds !

Thanks for the url.....it led me to finding the actual Government website - http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/doc/Immigration_Act.pdf in which the following info was provided:

Chapter 2 Entering and Department the Kingdom

Section 12 : Aliens which fall into any of the following categories are excluded from entering into the Kingdom :

1. Having no genuine and valid passport or document used in lieu of passport ; or having a genuine and valid passport or document used in

lieu of a passport without Visaing by the Royal Thai Embassies or Consulates in Foreign countries ; or from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs ,

excepting if a visa is not required for certain types of aliens in special instances.

Visaing and visa exemption will be under the learn and conditions as provided in the Ministerial Regulations.

2. Having no appropriate means of living following entrance into the Kingdom.

3. Having entered into the Kingdom to take occupation as a laborer or to take employment by using physical without skills training or to work

in violation of the Ministerial Regulations.

4. Being mentally unstable or having any of the disease as prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations.

5. Having not yet been vaccinated against smalllpox or inoculated or undergone any other medical treatment for protection against disease

and having refused to have such vaccinations administered by the Immigration Doctor.

6. Having been imprisoned by the judgement of the Thai Court ; or by a lawful injunction ; or by the judgement of the Court of foreign country,

except when the penalty is for petty offense or negligence or is provided for as an exception in the Ministerial Regulations.

7. Having behavior which would indicated possible danger to the public or likelihood of being a

nuisance or constituting any violence to the peace or safety of the public or to the security of the public or to the security of the nation , or

being under warrant of arrest by competent officials of foreigngovernments.

8. Reason to believe that entrance into the Kingdom was for the purpose of being involved in

prostitution , the trading of woman of children , drug smuggling , or other types of smuggling which are contrary to the public morality.

9. Having no money or bond as prescribed by the Minister under him - Note: for clarification of this I had to go to the following url :

http://ayutthaya.immigration.go.th/General%20Information.html. There, Section 9 reads as follows: Having no money or bond as

prescribed by the Minister under Section 14 of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979)

10. Being a person prohibited by the Minister under Section 16.

11. Being deported by either the Government of Thailand that of or other foreign countries ; or the right of stay in the Kingdom or in foreign

countries having been revoked ; or having been sent out of the Kingdom by competent officials at the expense of the Government of

Thailand unless the Minister shall consider exemption on an individual special case basis.

The examination and diagnosis of disease of a physical or mental nature , including protective operations as against disease , shall be

conducted by the Immigration Doctor

At first I thought that Section 2 was the solely applicable section and that, by the fact that one was the holder of a valid work permit, they would automatically be showing proof that they have the "appropriate means of living following entrance into the Kingdom".

Then I read section 9, investigated the section and was led to Section 14 where it states - "The Minister shall have power to issue public notice in the Government Gazette requiring the alien entering into the Kingdom to have with either money or bond , or shall have power to order an exemption under any condition. The public notice issued by the Ministerunder the first paragraph of this section shall not apply to children under the age of twelve years "

I haven't yet searched for such public notice and therefore do not know whether we who possess a valid Non-Immigrant B visa AND a valid Work Permit are included or excluded in that group designated "alien.entering". Perhaps my query to "Ask a Lawyer" will meet with a definite answer. For now, I guess that I have three choices.......show 20,000฿ ; pay the 200฿ "tea money" fee; or use the airlines!

whistling.gif They can always "request further information or documents" when they feel them to be required to judge whether or not to admit you at their discretion.

Which gives them are lot of leeway if for some reason they should take a dislike to you.

That however is unusual ..... but you could always possibly find someone in a bad mood that day.

Or you could have a supervisor, as I did one day when I was waiting at immigration to enter the country when I had a case of the flu.

She saw I was ill, walked over to one of her inspectors and asked him to open another gate and allow me to be the first one to enter, as I was not well.

In the years, the good and the bad times balance out.

Try to imagine yourself in an real emergency situation. It doesn't have to be with dealing with a "private hospital", also because there may not be one. Cards lost/stolen or blocked. Cash is king. However, if you want to think of Thailand and all the border countries as your home country, no problem.

Try to imagine yourself both reading, and comprehending.

I do carry cash, I just don't like to show it to people.

That said, in the event of a "real" emergency it has been my experience that money is generally not much help.

• Like 2

There are literally tens of thousands of ATMs in Thailand and many thousands, even tens of thousands of merchants that accept credit and debit cards. We're living in an electronic society where cash is not necessarily king anymore. Just withdrawing a whole lot of cash to satisfy an immigration official when credit/debit cards or a printout from your bank's internet banking portal should be enough seems pretty absurd to me.

If one is in an emergency situation and doesn't have any money, I don't think crossing the border into Thailand would be the solution and in fact I would advise against it for the reasons being that 1) immigration may ask for funds and 2) it won't make trying to get a hold of cash any easier. Malaysia is actually more developed and has just as many ATMs (if not more) than Thailand not to mention dealing with anyone to try to get access to emergency funds would be easier as most Malays speak English, in strong contrast to Thailand. This has never been a problem for me as I speak, read and write fluent Thai, but I'm quite aware that the vast majority of our members don't speak much Thai.

The best option other than flying out and back is to avoid the Sadao Dannok crossing. Pedang Baser or any other crossing is much better.

I would also imagine anyone who has spent at least a couple of days (or more) in Malaysia and is not just doing a border run would also be less likely to be hassled even if coming back from Dan Nok.

If I were to go all the way down to Malaysia just to renew my visa (or permission to stay), the least I would do is to drive my car across the border and spend a few days checking out Malaysia, Penang perhaps or KL. There shouldn't be any excuse to not do so and seeing something different once in a while, even if I've been there before can't be a bad thing especially if it's only once every 90 days or so.

But of course no one does that here. Nearly every post on TV is about members going to a neighboring country and trying to spend the least possible amount of time away from Thailand, even if that makes their re-entry less than guaranteed.

I would also imagine anyone who has spent at least a couple of days (or more) in Malaysia and is not just doing a border run would also be less likely to be hassled even if coming back from Dan Nok.

I don't think so. People coming back with a fresh visa from Penang are given the same treatment.

If you have a work permit, why not just go down to the one-stop and get the extension?

Not everyone earns or can demonstrate Bt. 50,000 salary. For them, multi-entry visa and border hops are the only choice.

Most private hospitals in Thailand will accept credit cards, but overseas credit cards have a way of getting blocked, lost or otherwise made worthless and it's a devil of a time getting them reactivated or replaced. Private hospitals will turn away people who don't appear to have the ability to pay for care.

Many public hospitals don't accept credit cards, but will accept ATM cards from Thai banks. Public hospitals are good about treating everyone in an emergency situation, but won't let them leave until they can pay their bill in full. If they're ready for discharge, they'll just push their bed off in a corner, hand them a phone and tell them to call somebody to bring money; they can't leave until they pay the bill. (In truth, "arrangements" can be made to pay the bill over time on contract, but this takes negotiation with the social work department about one's financial situation)

Just recently, a friend had a motorcycle accident in Nakorn Nowhereburi. A couple days in the local amphur hospital and a bill of 5000 baht. No big deal, he gave them his overseas credit card. Nope, they couldn't accept it. In the end, he had to call someone to put money into his girlfriend's Bangkok Bank account and then the girlfriend drove to NN to bail him out of the hospital with her Bangkok Bank ATM card. G/F was not happy about the unplanned trip.

You really do need to have at least two different ways of making large payments available to you at all times in case of medical emergencies. I've just been involved in too many situations where people are in hospital and have money overseas, but aren't able to access it in a time of crisis.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 2

I have two Thai credit cards, three U. S. credit cards, a Thai ATM card, a U.S. ATM card, a CIGNA card and Thai SS medical card so I don't worry to much about it. I also usually carry 10-20k in cash but never use it for anything big.

Oh, I forgot about my Rabbit card and Easy Pass...

I'm thinking it's a lucky guy that gets in a motorcycle wreck and and ends up with nothing to worry about but the bill.

Most private hospitals in Thailand will accept credit cards, but overseas credit cards have a way of getting blocked, lost or otherwise made worthless and it's a devil of a time getting them reactivated or replaced. Private hospitals will turn away people who don't appear to have the ability to pay for care.

Many public hospitals don't accept credit cards, but will accept ATM cards from Thai banks. Public hospitals are good about treating everyone in an emergency situation, but won't let them leave until they can pay their bill in full. If they're ready for discharge, they'll just push their bed off in a corner, hand them a phone and tell them to call somebody to bring money; they can't leave until they pay the bill. (In truth, "arrangements" can be made to pay the bill over time on contract, but this takes negotiation with the social work department about one's financial situation)

Just recently, a friend had a motorcycle accident in Nakorn Nowhereburi. A couple days in the local amphur hospital and a bill of 5000 baht. No big deal, he gave them his overseas credit card. Nope, they couldn't accept it. In the end, he had to call someone to put money into his girlfriend's Bangkok Bank account and then the girlfriend drove to NN to bail him out of the hospital with her Bangkok Bank ATM card. G/F was not happy about the unplanned trip.

You really do need to have at least two different ways of making large payments available to you at all times in case of medical emergencies. I've just been involved in too many situations where people are in hospital and have money overseas, but aren't able to access it in a time of crisis.

As you said, hospitals here generally treat you first and THEN ask for payment when you are ready to be discharged. Therefore it's ridiculous to suggest one should carry 10000-20000 Baht or more for such "emergencies" like you're expecting them to happen. That's what you should have insurance for. Travel insurance is good enough for most people who don't spend more than a year or so away from home and are still technically classified as residents in their home country. Otherwise there's expat insurance or other cover provided by employers but they tend to be less generous unless you're on a very high end package. In any case, anyone who doesn't have some kind of medical insurance when overseas is an idiot.

All this nonsense about how credit cards might fail is NOT a good excuse to always have a huge sum of money in your pocket. Besides, how do most of us access any money in the first place? Well by withdrawing from credit and debit accounts!

Imagine this: you find yourself coming off a motorcycle and are badly injured. But in the process someone robs you off all the money in your wallet but then you end up in the hospital, which treats you. At the time of being discharged you are able to pay your bill through your insurance or you pay first with your credit card and then claim later (if the amount is not too high). But you never get your money back. If you weren't carrying all that money you wouldn't have lost it in the first place.

Anyway, most of us have medical insurance policies and a sufficient number of ATM and credit cards. But to suggest something as unlikely and ridiculous as needing to carry around thousands of Baht in case someone decides to drive into us and we have to go to hospital as a good reason to carry a lot of cash and possibly set ourselves up for robbery is irresponsible.

This thread was supposed to be about immigration requirements NOT about justifying carrying around large wads of cash.

Besides, all you wise guys, what if someone followed your advice but only had 20000 Baht on them when their hospital bill ended up being 100000 Baht? So how about we all carry around 100000 Baht just in case we have a nearly fatal accident so we can end up paying in cash.

• Like 2

So show them 20k or give them 200?

I'd make sure I had 200 in my shirt pocket.

I'm always surprised by the number of people that doesn't have or doesn't want to carry that little money.

I wonder how they would do in a real emergency when having cash makes all the difference.

... and I'm always surprised at how many people just bend over and drop their pants and take it up the a**e. I'd much prefer to show them the Baht 20,000 than pay a lazy, stupid, ignorant, good-for-nothing corrupt official who thinks I'm going to supplement his monthly salary. I know principles are good to have, and there are times when we have to be realistic and swallow our principles, but simply handing over money everytime it suites some official ian't right. Baht 20,000 really isn't all that much, especially not for a farang who's working here. Surely you could take that much with you and flash it in front of these officers, just to deny them their little Baht 200 bonus.

• Like 1

Requirement is to show cash, even if you have $10 million in the bank and the bank statement handy, that is insufficient in most cases.

+1....In a country that uses mostly cash, it is wise to always carry cash... I am not worried about getting robbed.

• Like 1

Some people are suggesting that these immigration officials are corrupt for asking for 200 baht.

You have to show 20,000 baht in cash when entering through this border. Nothing illegal in that request.

If you show 20k you can enter.

If you can't show 20k you can be denied entry. Legally.

So people have a choice. If you don't have, or don't want to carry, 20k then be grateful that these corrupt officials are prepared to help you out.

Is turning a blind eye for 200 baht corruption. Yes. And there lies one issue with corruption. We are happy to be party to it when it works in our favour, but get on our moral high horse when it doesn't, or someone else benefits.

If these immigration officers were demanding 200 baht from those that have 20k in the pocket then I'd say it was a problem. Otherwise it seems to me they are doing people a favour.

It's another stupid pointless rule. 1. It's not a good idea, or necessary, to carry 20k in cash at anytime. 2. How long would 20k last someone if it was all the money they had.

The big problem that I have with the argument about carrying 20,000 baht (or the equivalent) is the safety of that money. And indeed the safety of the person that is carrying it.

I cannot envisage many people, even in their home countries where they know the 'lay of the land', carrying in cash the equivalent of 20,000 baht.

At today's exchange that would be:

Euro: 563

USD: 614

GBP: 410

I understand that it is an immigration requirement, but IMHO, a very foolish one to be directed at someone holding a non-immigrant visa along with a valid work permit.

I am just waiting for the first report when someone of dubious intent works it out that there is so much currency 'on the hoof' in relatively small areas. Hoping that it is just my paranoia kicking in......................wink.png

That "much currency" ? I'm astonished by these comments. It's about one month salary for Thailand, nothing out of ordinary. Go to the bank and watch Thais handle millions with indifference. Fortunately Thailand and border countries have low robbery rates. There is no major security concern here.