Baht suddenly jumped against sterling

weekend and hollidays aproaching gbp.down over 50satang on yesterday.facepalm.gif

down some more at 18-00pm scb.TT rate morning 47.53 close of play 47.24.if your lucky.sad.png

i wonder how many british that changed money at the banks the past 5days? as above the banks websights were only showing fridays rates,yet they were open in the malls.so did they get a raw deal.

first show this morning up 54satang.TT.rate 47.78 scb.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The US dollar is the leading currency because it still is the biggest economic force in the world. And for good or bad, it's the currency most countries are compared.

But for how much longer?

If all the countries in the world called in the bonds that they hold, then I would think that the USA would go bust very quickly and it it no use printing more paper money without anything to back it up with.

That's what we need, more 'if this' and 'if that' scenarios to entertain us over Songkran.

The US dollar is the leading currency because it still is the biggest economic force in the world. And for good or bad, it's the currency most countries are compared.

But for how much longer?

If all the countries in the world called in the bonds that they hold, then I would think that the USA would go bust very quickly and it it no use printing more paper money without anything to back it up with.

That's what we need, more 'if this' and 'if that' scenarios to entertain us over Songkran.

Songkran is over and its not 'if this' and 'if that'......its " could "

General election chaos could trigger 'Lehman moment' for poundfacepalm.gif

Experts warn that pound could fall to as low as $1.35 against the dollar over the coming weeks, as traders brace themselves for "messy outcome" after May's general election. UK debt has continued to rise throughout the recovery and has soared to an eye-watering £1.48 trillion

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/currency/11531038/General-election-chaos-could-trigger-Lehman-moment-for-pound.html

Edited by Asiantravel

gbp/thb now up tp 49.3 20th April

where did you see that rate,scb bank tt rate 48.42 9am

4.15pm tt.rate 48.82.

maybe you have the buying rate and the selling rate mixed up.

Edited by meatboy

4.15pm tt.rate 48.82.

Xe.com has it at 49.47 this morning.

You can't exchange money at XE.com!

Average GBP/THB rate at Thai banks is currently showing as 48,78, that will likely change when business resumes..

4.15pm tt.rate 48.82.

Average GBP/THB rate at Thai banks is currently showing as 48,78, that will likely change when business resumes..

No one, other than you, said anything about changing money at XE.com.....that's the prevailing market rate, whether you like it or not. As we all know, individual consumers don't ever get that rate but hey, you always need something to argue about so disagree all you want.

Edited by TheAppletons

4.15pm tt.rate 48.82.

No one, other than you, said anything about changing money at XE.com.....that's the prevailing market rate, whether you like it or not. As we all know, individual consumers don't ever get that rate but hey, you always need something to argue about so disagree all you want.

only ignorants use xe.com to determine the market rate which is applicable to those transferring or changing money into Thai Baht. applicable is the TT or cash buying rate of banks and money changers.

only ignorants use xe.com to determine the market rate which is applicable to those transferring or changing money into Thai Baht. applicable is the TT or cash buying rate of banks and money changers.

Since the first page of the thread, the discussion has been in very general terms re: movement in exchange rates....and from the first page, folks have been quoting xe.com.

You may call me "ignorant" as you have above (nice...name-calling always bolsters the validity of your argument ) but the entire thread up until now has not been about "where can I find the best exchange rate to change my pounds into baht", it's been a generalized discussion of movement in the GBP/THB rate for which a market rate is a perfectly valid rate to use in discussing trending movements upward/downward.

Since the first page of the thread, the discussion has been in very general terms re: movement in exchange rates....and from the first page, folks have been quoting xe.com.

You may call me "ignorant" as you have above (nice...name-calling always bolsters the validity of your argument ) but the entire thread up until now has not been about "where can I find the best exchange rate to change my pounds into baht", it's been a generalized discussion of movement in the GBP/THB rate for which a market rate is a perfectly valid rate to use in discussing trending movements upward/downward.

for the record: the attribute "ignorant" does not necessarily equate to "name calling". i am an ignorant concerning a zillion things.

Thomson Reuters last published mid-rate (based on close of Globex trading) for GBPTHB is 49,4765 that equates to a TT buy/sell rate of Thai banks of ~49.32/49.60 monday morning till the BoT starts "acting" wai2.gif

4.15pm tt.rate 48.82.

Yep, looks like it has:-

Kasikorn

GBP Pound Sterling 49.61063

OR..... from XE....

post-190508-0-92168600-1430278282_thumb.

Edited by Jip99

Yeah, the Pacific Peso enjoyed a bounce too - seems someone still wants our iron ore after all. Not sure what the Chinese are going to do with all those ghost cities but Oz will keep ripping it out of the ground as long as someone is willing to pay for it.

The Baht has also weakened over 2% against the USD in the past week.

SL

Perfect timing as I hit the streets to buy some greenbacks - party on biggrin.png

Well, I think you missed the party because a weaker baht means you have to expend "more" baht to buy some greenback. For example from looking at today's close of business Selling Rate (rate applied when using baht to buy a foreign currency) at the Bangkok Bank exchange rate page it's 33.07/USD...or said another you need to shell out 33.07 baht to buy one greenback. But let's go back one week to the 23 Apr close of business Selling Rate when the baht was stronger...the Selling Rate was 32.32/USD...a person would have needed to shell out fewer baht to buy a greenback.

It's when the baht is getting stronger against a currency that makes it better deal to buy that other currency.

• 4 weeks later...

The Baht has also weakened over 2% against the USD in the past week.

SL

Perfect timing as I hit the streets to buy some greenbacks - party on biggrin.png

Well, I think you missed the party because a weaker baht means you have to expend "more" baht to buy some greenback. For example from looking at today's close of business Selling Rate (rate applied when using baht to buy a foreign currency) at the Bangkok Bank exchange rate page it's 33.07/USD...or said another you need to shell out 33.07 baht to buy one greenback. But let's go back one week to the 23 Apr close of business Selling Rate when the baht was stronger...the Selling Rate was 32.32/USD...a person would have needed to shell out fewer baht to buy a greenback.

It's when the baht is getting stronger against a currency that makes it better deal to buy that other currency.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/CurrencyExchange/Pages/FXRates.aspx

USD $1

Buy 32.23

Sell 33.53

USD $100

Buy 32.98

Sell 33.60

Problem... I can't get USD's to my Bangkok bank cheaply enough to make the recent USD:THB margin worthwhile. And I have family there with a card for my stateside bank too!

Do I need to hope the USD stays strong until our return in Oct?

I'm paying for hotels now, but is there another way to leverage the good rate?