Don't see too many of these in Thailand.

giddyup

Often thought caravanning thru Thailand would be a great idea, apart from the fact that there are no caravan parks.

Reminds me of when we bought my bil to Australia a couple of years ago, and he asked us what those things on the back of all the cars were. They were tow-bars and then I realized I had never seen them in Thailand.

Often thought there could be a market for trailers there, but could the Thais reverse park them?

Wife told me "No one has towbars in Thailand. Trailers not legal." I said "Rubbish. Every family has a ute & trailers are just not fashionable." Now we see places on the side of highway 331 ( Rayong to Korat) every few kms, with all shapes of trailer parked up for sale. One axle, tandems, High & low sides & car carriers. I bet the quality of build is not too hot but as we are building am implement shed soon I am tempted to get a towbar on the next Hilux as we have a 4-door with a Carryboy and although it is very handy for most purposes, it lacks capacity for some duties & we have to rent or borrow. Hmmm!!! I must stop and have a look at them one day & examine the materials & build details. I have owned a trailer of some sort or other for most of the last 40 years. Like the comment about Thais reversing a trailer. Obviously truckies can do it but it might be interesting to see the average Thai driver try it.

Edited by The Deerhunter

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, it's true! here you are: Airstream Thailand, complete with A/C if I'm not mistaken.

http://airstream.co.th/home/?lang=en

Awesome! I knew there was a reason why I just traded up to a 3.2 Wildtrack.

Yes, good point. I've got a 2014 Mazda CX-5 2.5 benzine and I don't think she's got the torque to pull one of these. I wish I'd bought the 2.2 diesel model now for the extra torque, because I'd love to have an Airstream in Thailand, what a great idea.

I have a 7.63m/2400kg travel trailer I pulled with a 2.5L 4cyl gas Jeep CJ8 4x4 which weighs 1242kg. The problem was not so much the torque, but the weight diffence. Fortunately, I only had to pull it 52km, but the last 5km was all uphill in 4whlow.

Good to hear your Jeep handled that load okay, and on a gas conversion as well... that's pretty impressive. Was the weight difference you mention manageable, or did it effect the handling too much? What I'm trying to say is would you be happy to tow the same arrangement again on Thailand roads with no worries?

It's a rare sight on Aussie roads to see anything less then a six cylinder pulling a caravan. You see it often in the UK/Europe though, where a 2.5 litre engine, like in my CX-5, is considered to be a big engine. I've never towed anything in less then a six or a V8, and I hadn't even thought about getting a caravan here in LOS. But I reckon it could be a good move, depending on the costs involved.

It "appears" to be the real thing. I wonder how original the inside is. Worth around $20,000 to $40,000 in USA depending on who you talk to. Polishing is an option many folks do on the older Airstreams.

Nice unit external anyway.

Correction: Worth around $0 to $40,000 depending on who you talk to.

Aww be fair - don't forget aluminium does have quite a good scrap value - so probably around $300 - $40,000

Wife told me "No one has towbars in Thailand. Trailers not legal." I said "Rubbish. Every family has a ute & trailers are just not fashionable." Now we see places on the side of highway 331 ( Rayong to Korat) every few kms, with all shapes of trailer parked up for sale. One axle, tandems, High & low sides & car carriers. I bet the quality of build is not too hot but as we are building am implement shed soon I am tempted to get a towbar on the next Hilux as we have a 4-door with a Carryboy and although it is very handy for most purposes, it lacks capacity for some duties & we have to rent or borrow. Hmmm!!! I must stop and have a look at them one day & examine the materials & build details. I have owned a trailer of some sort or other for most of the last 40 years. Like the comment about Thais reversing a trailer. Obviously truckies can do it but it might be interesting to see the average Thai driver try it.

I think there's some weird law here about the trailer itself needing either taxing, inspecting, registering or something extra regardless of what's towing it. It was mentioned recently so I am sure a 'happy camper' here will advise.

I learned the trick of reverse-parking trailers on camp moves in the Saudi desert, became quite accomplished. Then my next gig was in South Australia where they towed double-dogged (2 trailers) once they got off the blacktop but after the first camp move, I left parking those buggers to the experts!

As mentioned not many caravan parks in Thailand and you will need 220V supply to run AC when sleeping.

I can just imagine a Thai driver pulling on of those going +130km/h, he-he.

How about this one, he was going at least 130Km/h as I had trouble keeping up with him.

post-222439-0-97408100-1428503434_thumb.post-222439-0-49640700-1428503436_thumb.post-222439-0-55936900-1428503670_thumb.

Edited by Anthony5

Yep, it's true! here you are: Airstream Thailand, complete with A/C if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, good point. I've got a 2014 Mazda CX-5 2.5 benzine and I don't think she's got the torque to pull one of these. I wish I'd bought the 2.2 diesel model now for the extra torque, because I'd love to have an Airstream in Thailand, what a great idea.

I wonder if there's any vehicle other than a truck that can actually have a trailer hitch installed?

I know my past cars including larger one's could not.

Regarding AirStream: last I read the company and followers of it were alive and doing well. going on massive caravan trips to yonder places.. and beyond. Great for those who love that style and more power to them..

Edited by watcharacters

As mentioned not many caravan parks in Thailand and you will need 220V supply to run AC when sleeping.

How about this one, he was going at least 130Km/h as I had trouble keeping up with him.

attachicon.gif20140528_155015.jpgattachicon.gif20140528_155113.jpgattachicon.gif20140528_154952.jpg

Were you comfortable driving next to an (DELETED) who is speeding to such an excess it would take him a kilometer to safely stop?

It was probably safe since he was only following a tanker truck with flammable liquid inside. 555

Maybe we should reference that video where a pick up and a heavy truck were dueling on the highway and the heavy truck ran the pick up off the road.

I prefer some defensive driving myself and preach that to the Missus at all times.

Edited by seedy
language

attachicon.gif20140528_155015.jpgattachicon.gif20140528_155113.jpgattachicon.gif20140528_154952.jpg

Were you comfortable driving next to an (DELETED) who is speeding to such an excess it would take him a kilometer to safely stop?

It was probably safe since he was only following a tanker truck with flammable liquid inside. 555

Maybe we should reference that video where a pick up and a heavy truck were dueling on the highway and the heavy truck ran the pick up off the road.

I prefer some defensive driving myself and preach that to the Missus at all times.

I was also going to comment on the one-handed-driving-while-taking-pictures-at-130 kph.... then I noticed the amulet dangling from the drivers rear view mirror and breathed a sigh of relief.

I was also going to comment on the one-handed-driving-while-taking-pictures-at-130 kph.... then I noticed the amulet dangling from the drivers rear view mirror and breathed a sigh of relief.

That amulet has saved me tens of thousands in insurance premiums, but if you have problems driving 130km/h one handed with a modern car on a straight highway, I feel your not fit to drive a car.biggrin.png

That amulet has saved me tens of thousands in insurance premiums, but if you have problems driving 130km/h one handed with a modern car on a straight highway, I feel your not fit to drive a car.biggrin.png

Fair dinkum, an amulet has saved you tens of thousands? I need to know this, please share this info!

Looks like a few members were born without a sense of humor.

LOL.... tell me about it.

My amulet (the wife's actually) isn't so hot on the insurance saving but it's been really good for steering with the lower thigh which leaves BOTH hands free to properly mix the vodka nam sohms.

One Post Hidden - incorrect font

Forum Netiquette
1. Please do not post in all capital letters, bold, unusual fonts, sizes or colors. It can be
difficult to read.

Arial 14 is the font type and size to be used

NumbNut said, "Good to hear your Jeep handled that load okay, and on a gas conversion as well... that's pretty impressive. Was the weight difference you mention manageable, or did it effect the handling too much? What I'm trying to say is would you be happy to tow the same arrangement again on Thailand roads with no worries?

It's a rare sight on Aussie roads to see anything less then a six cylinder pulling a caravan. You see it often in the UK/Europe though, where a 2.5 litre engine, like in my CX-5, is considered to be a big engine. I've never towed anything in less then a six or a V8, and I hadn't even thought about getting a caravan here in LOS. But I reckon it could be a good move, depending on the costs involved."

No, I would not want to pull that much weight difference again. On flat and straight roads, it was not too bad; however, hard breaking or pulling uphill and down, and around curves, especially in the wind, it was uncomfortable at best.

Often thought caravanning thru Thailand would be a great idea, apart from the fact that there are no caravan parks.

Reminds me of when we bought my bil to Australia a couple of years ago, and he asked us what those things on the back of all the cars were. They were tow-bars and then I realized I had never seen them in Thailand.

Often thought there could be a market for trailers there, but could the Thais reverse park them?

No need for a park that's the inherent beauty of them, park them anywhere and set out the dining fly, awning chairs and watch the sun set or rise, which ever. I'd prefer to camp alone anyway in most cases.

Yes it does.

Myopic point of view.

That's a 5th wheel too, very easy to tow and reverse. It is also the sport kind it seems with a bike/ATV compartment in the back to tow your toys with, be a lot of fun around Thailand to explore with no doubt, too bad so many here with so little sense of adventure and negative points of view, they're losing out on some of the best parts of life and Thailand. Why retire or live in a country that has such scenic nature and not take full advantage, instead just sit inside, in their comfy arm chairs posting negative comments without even really relating to the topic they're posting about? facepalm.gifcoffee1.gif

Funny story, my dad being an avid reader of Popular Mechanics from the early 40's till he died saw the plans for a design similar to an Airstream caravan and did the numbers and decided to build it. Along the way he changed his mind and made it into a double axle version it was finished in 1959 and we went for a tour in it at christmas time. Well the Customline he had at the time just didn't seem to have quite enough mustangs under the bonnet to pull this caravan!

We got home and grandpa starts raving on how his Hudson had the power and could handle it. So dad hitches up the caravan to the Hudson grandpa and we kids jump in and off we go......very slowly! Oh they tried! The Hudson was giving 100% which was well short of what was needed.

I don't know if dad miscalculated......or didn't bother with the weight calculations and substituting stainless steel sheet (it was in the warehouse doing nothing!) for a plywood floor didn't help. But when they took it to a weight bridge it came in at 4.5 ton! This is a 24ft van with dual axles with brakes on one!

In the end it served my Uncle John as a home for a few years after he split with his dearly beloved, then my older brother lived in it when he wanted 'More space'. I left home and it was still there for a few more years with crapped out tyres from the sun and weeds growing all around. Then one trip home and it was gone! I asked dad what happened and all I got was "Sold it"!

As for Airstream or any caravan or motorhome in Thailand.......WHY? You can stay in perfectly good hotels and resorts here, why would you want a caravan?