UK Honorary Consulate in Chiang Mai is closing.

doctormann

Well, us Yanks may moan and complain about how much it costs to get a document notarized or make a visit to the US Consulate, but, it makes the Consulate self-sufficient financially. Which means they stay open.

Compared to the time and expense to travel to BKK, I'm really OK with having to shell out the $$$ to make my occasional visit. Plus I know what I'm getting at the CM US Consulate. The service is top-notch.

Does it cost 3,040 baht which is (was) the cost a couple of months ago at the British Consulate?

$100 US !!!

"This is consistent with how we support British nationals elsewhere in Thailand."

Thank will be piss bugger all then?

Piss poor to think of a once proud empire reduced to jack, some may disagree but it is another example to the world that we are in decline to my way of thinking.

Rise and Fall. That's the nature of Empires.

It's back to the notion that those who fail to study history are destined to repeat it. Not too many history buffs in leadership positions around the globe methinks.

• Like 1

A government that introduces such a thing as 'the bedroom tax' to save money, will certainly have no problem taking services away from ex pats abroad, who they already shaft with the frozen pension act.

The so-called bedroom tax was introduced by Labour for private sector tenants - Con/Lib coalition just made it fair by applying it to social sector tenants to.

Still, never let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

• Like 1

Well, us Yanks may moan and complain about how much it costs to get a document notarized or make a visit to the US Consulate, but, it makes the Consulate self-sufficient financially. Which means they stay open.

Compared to the time and expense to travel to BKK, I'm really OK with having to shell out the $$$ to make my occasional visit. Plus I know what I'm getting at the CM US Consulate. The service is top-notch.

Does it cost 3,040 baht which is (was) the cost a couple of months ago at the British Consulate?

$100 US !!!

I believe it's $80 for a renewal at the US embassy, $115 for a new one. But that's nationwide including the US. So the US Consulate isn't making any money from acting as an intermediary for the Department of State' passport division (if I remember right, but I'm getting old, so maybe/maybe not). Who knows, maybe one day they'll close our consulate too, but until they do I happy it's here.

A government that introduces such a thing as 'the bedroom tax' to save money, will certainly have no problem taking services away from ex pats abroad, who they already shaft with the frozen pension act.

The so-called bedroom tax was introduced by Labour for private sector tenants - Con/Lib coalition just made it fair by applying it to social sector tenants to.

Still, never let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

OK a government that didn't do away with it....better?

• Like 1

Absolutely disgusting and an abdication of social responsibility to it's citizens by a truly crap British Government.

At least us Brits get a vote next month and a good time NOT to vote bloody Tory !!! Support the peoples' sensible centre party Lib Dems for a change as high time we gave them a real chance to Govern to see what they are really made of IMHO, At the very least Labour are the lesser of the two real main party evils as at least they care more about ordinary people.

I really feel sorry for all of us Brit expats here living outside the Bangkok catchment area. Once again truly DISGUSTING !!!!!!!!

I wondered how long it would be before the Consulate in Chiang Mai closes for good considering they have now dropped most of their services.

As with everything else the UK government has shown a total disregard for the needs of its people and carries on with its own agenda.

Why oh why do the British public vote for the same old corrupt and weak politicians and expect a different result?

Lib-Dems definitely a no no for me.

I will be voting for the Green Party.

Tories, Labour, UKIP, Lib-Dem are a total waste of a vote as they are all controlled by the corporate machine.

Voting for any of these will just result in the same old bovine excrement as before for the next 5 years.

Check out the Green Party website and manifesto and see if they have anything you can relate to.

They are not just another bunch of tree huggers and student lefties as the media would have us believe.

https://www.greenparty.org.uk/we-stand-for/.

Other than that there is the option of spoiling the ballot paper just to get the message across.

Nothing would give me greater pleasure than seeing all of these tossers put out of office and being replaced by people who have the public interest at heart.

"This is consistent with how we support British nationals elsewhere in Thailand."

Piss poor to think of a once proud empire reduced to jack, some may disagree but it is another example to the world that we are in decline to my way of thinking.

The UK still has the Falklands and it's about to build a high speed train line between London and Birmingham costing 50-100 billion or more! It will knock 10-15 minutes off the travel time compared to a normal train. The trains may be built in France, Germany or Japan but it's still a British idea! Decline is all in the mind.

The UK still has the Falklands and it's about to build a high speed train line between London and Birmingham costing 50-100 billion or more! It will knock 10-15 minutes off the travel time compared to a normal train. The trains may be built in France, Germany or Japan but it's still a British idea! Decline is all in the mind.

Who exactly will this 10 minutes of time saving benefit, for only 50-100 billion?

The Australian honorary council in Chiangmai has resigned in protest over treatment of Paraplegics and wheelchair bound elderly who are now required to show up in person for identity confirmation. This is a huge burden to this group who must book not only for themselves but also for a carer to help them to Bangkok. This creates not only a huge financial burden but one of stress for diabled pensioners. I am writting to the consul general to put my strong objection to this stupid rule. In Australia a priest, policeman or magistrate can swear identity for passport identification. Why not here? Mr. Walther , the current honorary consul does a great job for us.Think of the hassle we will need to go through without his services? Like confirming income. Will we have to do this in person or trust the post? What about all the other services we will be denied by this move.

I urge all Australian pensioners here to put in their objections. The address is readily available on Google. They have not yet confirmed a replacement ,if any. I personaly want to show support for the current Mr. Walthers for his good works and in particular to the disadvantaged disabled.

• Like 1

Do you really think a change in party will mean any difference.

They need to save money and people that are no longer living in UK take a back seat.

No you have that wrong people born in the Uk living in the Uk or no longer living in the UK take a back seat

$100 US !!!

I believe it's $80 for a renewal at the US embassy, $115 for a new one. But that's nationwide including the US. So the US Consulate isn't making any money from acting as an intermediary for the Department of State' passport division (if I remember right, but I'm getting old, so maybe/maybe not). Who knows, maybe one day they'll close our consulate too, but until they do I happy it's here.

US passport is I think US$110 now.

Absolutely disgusting and an abdication of social responsibility to it's citizens by a truly crap British Government.

At least us Brits get a vote next month and a good time NOT to vote bloody Tory !!! Support the peoples' sensible centre party Lib Dems for a change as high time we gave them a real chance to Govern to see what they are really made of IMHO, At the very least Labour are the lesser of the two real main party evils as at least they care more about ordinary people.

I really feel sorry for all of us Brit expats here living outside the Bangkok catchment area. Once again truly DISGUSTING !!!!!!!!

I wondered how long it would be before the Consulate in Chiang Mai closes for good considering they have now dropped most of their services.

As with everything else the UK government has shown a total disregard for the needs of its people and carries on with its own agenda.

Why oh why do the British public vote for the same old corrupt and weak politicians and expect a different result?

Lib-Dems definitely a no no for me.

I will be voting for the Green Party.

Tories, Labour, UKIP, Lib-Dem are a total waste of a vote as they are all controlled by the corporate machine.

Voting for any of these will just result in the same old bovine excrement as before for the next 5 years.

Check out the Green Party website and manifesto and see if they have anything you can relate to.

They are not just another bunch of tree huggers and student lefties as the media would have us believe.

https://www.greenparty.org.uk/we-stand-for/.

Other than that there is the option of spoiling the ballot paper just to get the message across.

Nothing would give me greater pleasure than seeing all of these tossers put out of office and being replaced by people who have the public interest at heart.

Thanks for the link.

I see there is no reference there to closing down the armed forces altogether (and planting nice trees on all the bases).

Nor is there a single reference to cost.

Google Nathalie Bennett and "car crash interview" if you want a taste of what Greenland could sound like....

• Like 2

The German consulate handles schengen visas in Chiang mai and charges a supplement ( less than the cost of going to Bangkok) and their entire operation here is funded from the Schengen income. Nil cost to German tax payer.

(NB:you can only use that now if you are spending most of your Europe nights in Germany!!)

A much more enlightened approach and very nice people there.

I suggested this by email to the British Consulate and got exactly the response I expected. None.

• Like 1

No loss there then ! I too had the misfortune to visit CM UK Consulate apalling,rude & arrogant Thai lady ran the place under the Hon Consuler who was never to be seen.or contacted as always"too busy". Disgrace of a place. Pattaya had some fat,ugly gay guy & gay team including a formidable looking lady man working next to immigration a few years ago but although making themselves a few quid were at least efficient.

The only decent UK Consulate I met was an ex-Army man on Koh Samui about 6 yrs ago but I think he packed it in as just got grief...all very sad.

Why do you feel sorry for me? Because I am living on a frozen pension? Yeah, well. I suppose I feel sorry for me.

Couldn't agree more!

The explanation/justification given by the UK govt is a first class example of complete and utter bullshit- straight out of 'Yes Minister'.

• Like 2

........Well I hope the US Consulate doesn't follow suit! I sure would hate to take a bus from Chiang Mai to the American Embassy in Bangkok just to get an over priced $80.00 Certified Certificate of Income. Any other recorder back in the States would do it for $25.00. Just one more over priced scam to satisfy Thai Immigrations. I just wonder, what is their cut out of the new $80. dollar fee?

Edited by Daniel Ingalls

" the consular team at the British Embassy in Bangkok to provide a more efficient notarial and documentary service, and consistent, high quality assistance"

"This new way of operating in Northern Thailand will make the most efficient use of our resources, and offer an effective service to our most vulnerable customers via our experienced consular team in Bangkok, supported by our Honorary Consul in Chiang Mai."

What planet were you born on?

• Like 2

You can NOT be serious! (With thanks to John McEnroe!)

No loss there then ! I too had the misfortune to visit CM UK Consulate apalling,rude & arrogant Thai lady ran the place under the Hon Consuler who was never to be seen.or contacted as always"too busy". Disgrace of a place. Pattaya had some fat,ugly gay guy & gay team including a formidable looking lady man working next to immigration a few years ago but although making themselves a few quid were at least efficient.

The only decent UK Consulate I met was an ex-Army man on Koh Samui about 6 yrs ago but I think he packed it in as just got grief...all very sad.

The ex Army man/ Honorary Consul is still alive and well and operational on Koh Samui, and still doing a good job!

• Like 1

........Well I hope the US Consulate doesn't follow suit! I sure would hate to take a bus from Chiang Mai to the American Embassy in Bangkok just to get an over priced $80.00 Certified Certificate of Income. Any other recorder back in the States would do it for $25.00. Just one more over priced scam to satisfy Thai Immigrations. I just wonder, what is their cut out of the new $80. dollar fee?

Won't immigration just accept your original pay documents?

Can't you just get it paid into the bank and get a letter from them?

(I'm asking because I don't know)

Edited by uptheos