Aircon and power dips

zlodnick

Bought a new 18k btu aircon and it worked ok for about 3 weeks. Then we started having problems. It would work fine for a couple hours, then blow warm air.

The shop sent over a guy from Mitsubishi and he checked it out and said everything was ok with the unit, but the problem was the power. He said he was only getting 202 volts. It was working ok at 202volts, but he said when we have a power dip, it will not be enough. Then I remembered, I heard the blower slow down a few times just before it stopped working.

I asked him what I could do about it and he said nothing really, thats the way it is in Thailand. He said it happens in the city too. Our 9k btu unit never had a problem, he said this new unit uses much more power.

Has anyone else had this problem and what do you do about it?

Let's hop this over the Electrical.

If your supply is constantly low at 202V then you have an issue, do you have a multimeter to perform some voltage tests?

A few questions to be going on with:-

What size meter do you have (5/15, 15/45, 30/100) it will be marked?

How far from the meter is your house?

How far from the transformer (big grey thing) is your meter?

Are you in a village, or way out in the sticks?

Any big power users nearby (factory, sawmill etc)

You could install an Automatic Voltage Regulator (AVR) or stabilizer which would jack your supply back up to 220V, but let's see if there's a lower cost solution that will get you working.

Thanks for the reply Crossy,

Just to let you know, Im no electrician. I can change a light bulb, but thats about it.

I have no multimeter.

Meter is 15/45

Meter 40 meters from house.

We are just outside of a small village (only 50 houses)

The transformer is in the village 300 meters away.

The neighbor has a small ricemill and when it starts up, the lights will dim.

• Like 1

When you need more electricity than there is supply, voltage drops (brown out). You could try turning other things off but most likely the only "fix" will be from the PEA or somewhat expensive equipment to boost. You should try to get your village head man to petition the PEA but don't hold your breath.

• Like 1

It's *possible* that, of the THREE possible mains lines that could be tapped to provide you power, the one PEA currently has you using is over-utilized.

While it will probably turn out that the village transformer just can't keep up with the present-day demand of all the homes (and side businesses) of the village, it could also be a simple phase load imbalance, (ie: some homes are drawing more power from one of three available power lines [phase], while either of the other phase lines goes under-utilized).

If you look at the pole, you'll usually see THREE live lines along with a sometimes bare (uncoated) neutral. Your home is tapped off one of these three phases along with the neutral.

It may be possible (after testing) that they (PEA) could move your meter to use one of the other under-utilized phase lines.

Could be that the deliver wire from the transformer needs to be larger.

Could be... that they say YOU are the problem and suggest you get a 3-phase meter and an AVR.

I used to live in a village that had 190 volts pretty much consistantly at night when all the lights were on and I needed air con. Cost me an air conditioner. One transformer to run a village of about 40 houses and 1 is another expat that uses air con.

Now I live in a place with constant 220 volt if it is on. Lightning strikes have cost me 16,000 baht for an aircon repair and many other things. Those other things were in excess of 40,000 baht. And I had to buy a generator so I could keep my freezers and aircon on but cold water showers. PEA is pretty much useless. Can't wait for rainy season and the storms to start this year.

RichCor,

What you say makes since. We used to be 2 phase in this village and then about 10 years ago, they added a third wire. I had no idea what the third wire was supposed to do, but I dont believe anyone is using it. So, I guess we are all drawing fron the same line?

Would it make sence to switch from the old line to the new?

Just a question that has always bugged me. Im from the US and there I see transformers everywhere. In rural areas there will be a transformer near almost every house. Here, they are sometimes 2km apart. Im guessing its just a matter of cost?

Gonsalviz,

Are you saying using the aircon with low voltage can damage the unit? We have a smaller aircon (9kbtu), 11 years old and never had a problem. Maybe because it doesnt draw as much power?

I was reading some threads about power surges and lightning strikes and it seems the only surefire prevention is to unplug all appliances. The only things we can unplug are the television and refridgerator, which we do. I was wondering if its possible to put an outlet and plug into the aircon line between the breaker and fusebox?

When we build our house, 20 years ago, our fusebox consisted of a knife switch and a buss fuse! I wasnt too comfortable living with that, but I felt confident that when I opened the knife switch, we were protected from lightning strikes. Not so! One day we got a direct strike that jumped right across the knife switch, nearly gave me a heart attack. It blew out 2 40w round ceiling lights, but didnt damage anything else.

So, am I correct in thinking I can tap into the new line they installed a while back. (making it 3 phase now in our village)

No one seems to be using that new line, (making it under-utilized?)

Also, will I need a 3 phase meter?

I havent had time to get a multimeter yet, so Im not sure how low our voltage gets. When the Mitsubishi guy was here, it was 202 volts, but that was 10 am, so probably not many were using power here then.

Not correct. YOU cannot tap into anything. Consult the PEA.

No need to consult PEA... And don't trust the local Somchai... This is a simple village DIY... Just make sure your wear a pair of closed toe RUBBER Crocs... Not those flimsy flip flops...

Edited by sfokevin

Steve

Im not speculating. Im doing research.

I know nothing about electricity, so Im asking here on the forum, where there are some very knowledgeable and helpful guys, Im searching google and youtube also.

This way, when I go to PEA, I will be able to explain the situation and hopefully understand what they will tell me.

I did a little bit of googling to see if I could find a few A/Cs which listed their min/max voltages for a 220V line. After about 5 minutes I found a Goodman model which said 197 to 253V which equates to a -10% to +15% of 220V. And I found a York model which said 187/252V which equates to +/-15% of 220V.

I do know that on occasions when I experience a "brownout" where the voltage drops to around 180V my A/Cs are still working but begin to sound strange...like they are straining to work...I turn them off until the brownout is over and my voltage returns to normal which is right around 230V in my part of Bangkok.

I have an analog panel voltage meter on the input to my main circuit panel box which allows me to read the incoming A/C voltage....I added on the panel meter myself....also added on a digital current meter to measure total current flow to my house.

Steve

Im not speculating. Im doing research.

I know nothing about electricity, so Im asking here on the forum, where there are some very knowledgeable and helpful guys, Im searching google and youtube also.

This way, when I go to PEA, I will be able to explain the situation and hopefully understand what they will tell me.

I certainly appreciate and applaud your due diligence for researching your issue. My experience with most government agencies here is that they don't always do things that "make sense" - to me anyway. Unless you are fluent in Thai and have a good grasp of the issues, I doubt you will be able to explain or understand anything. I think your best approach is to just go in and complain that the village lights go dim when you run your A/C. You will make things really difficult if you attempt to tell them what they should do. And if you find out - or anyone else can explain - how they do manage to manage the grid, please share.

Thanks Steve,

Ive lived here a long time and I know one must approach a government employee very carefully if one wants a positive result.

Truth be told, Ive always been satisfied with the power we have and I can live with or without aircon.

I didnt even know there was a problem til the other day. As they say, "ignorance is bliss".