Uproar over two farang exposing themselves

Thaivisa News

An advice to the Thais commenting on Facebook.

You should be more concerned and examine your culture and habits before being so upset about 2 naked people.

Look into the domestic violence, rape of minors, abandonment of children and families and other wrongdoings, happening daily in your country and then start worrying about this.

Hypocrisy, comes to my mind.

So is there no "domestic violence, rape of minors, abandonment of children and families and other wrongdoings, happening daily in your country"? I'm betting there is? Oh the hypocrisy.

• Like 1

oh my God, what a crime....! Death penalty please at least. Or send to ISIS for beheading?

To be honest you can see MUCH more at Pat Pong or in Pattaya. Who cares.?

Would you want them doing the same in front of your children, wife, mother, etc.? Patpong, Pattaya, etc. clubs are behind closed doors in front of adults who choose to be there ... that's a far cry from public display.

Pesonally, nudity doesn't bother me, but I do have respect for others to whom it does ... esp. when I'm a guest in their country.

• Like 1

You should be more concerned and examine your culture and habits before being so upset about 2 naked people.

Look into the domestic violence, rape of minors, abandonment of children and families and other wrongdoings, happening daily in your country and then start worrying about this.

Do you think just because they comment on the wrong of this that they don't care about the things you mentioned?

Rather hypocritical a foreigner coming to live in Thailand, probably with no aspiration to get citizenship or even permanent residency, and tell the Thais what and what not to do.

hypocritical well maybe bordering on but as far as getting citizenship or even permanent residency have you ever really looked into the criteria for obtaining either?? i some how doubt it , that's apart of the cost and endless waiting list added to all that by making that said commitment you certainly have to abide by all you detailed as being against your principles ?? ( Hypocrisy )

I rarely go into the tourist centers of BKK. I live near Suttishan station and it is like a Ghost town unless you venture out to Ratchadapisek road where the final day of festivities is underway. But even there it is far more sedate than down on Sukhumvit. I had the unfortunate experience of meeting some friends down there a few weeks ago....I felt like I was in Los Angeles instead of Thailand. Everything was familiar: fat Jewish guys with pretty young waifs, wealthy Arabs throwing money and profanities around like it was going out of style, I started looking for Rodeo Drive and Tom Cruise.

I despise what Songkran has become but know many Thais who still celebrate it solely as a religious and solemn holiday, praying at Temple, and showing respect for elders and those who have departed this world. It is ashamed what modern Thailand has done to the beautiful holiday that it really is. Not to mention the vendors (my neighbors) over here in Huai Kwang who are getting killed economically this week...I feel bad for them, they really need the daily income and even though they are cheerful about it, you can see that they will be just as glad as I am when Songkran is finally over.

And I have seen hundreds of thousands over the years, celebrating it loud and wet and drunk.

So...who does it "right"?

There really is no 'right' way. We all as individuals have our own preferences and I respect yours also. Just not my cup of tea.

• Like 1

So you're saying drunks running naked in the streets is representative of farang culture and doesn't warrant comment? Someone must feel criticism has caused a loss of face.

"You should be more concerned and examine your culture ..."

That would be good advice to all the posters on TV who freely dispense comments on Thai culture, education, politics, etc... also known as Thai bashing ... 365 days a year. Most of them seem to be totally oblivious to what's transpiring back in their home countries, but for some reason feel able to dispense advice on how things should be done in Thailand.

"Look into the domestic violence, rape of minors, abandonment of children and families and other wrongdoings, happening daily in your country" ... and sex tourists travelling to developing countries.

Indeed. Especially if you can only see these things happening in Thailand.

Hypocrisy certainly does come to mind along with pomposity.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Re; domestic abuse, child abuse, etc. these things happen in every country on Earth. They are more common in "civilised" nations than people believe. Some nations like the UK for example, there is a long history of 'looking the other way' and being 'buttoned up' and not speaking of such things, but they happen daily in those civilised Western nations. And also abuse is not even relevant to this story, at all. This is about public boundaries, the rights of citizens in public, not abuse.

Re; people getting drunk and parading around naked in public, be that in their home nation or when they are honoured guests in Thailand, it is shameful behaviour. I can sum it up as "I just don't want to see it." I don't want to see people being naked drunks, when I'm walking up the street. That is my right, to go about my civilised life without seeing those things. I have earned that right, the right to live a quiet civilised life. That is not the same as being a prude. There's nothing wrong with nakedness, or even drunken nakedness, but there is a place for those things, and that place is in 'private' not in 'public.'

I agree with your comment on child and domestic abuse and that Thailand is not a singularity as far as the world is concerned. I agree too that I personally don’t want to see people drunk and naked staggering around because it isn’t a pleasant view; however, it doesn’t give me a right and other cultures or societies might disagree with my view and they might find it acceptable; my view how the world should behave might be a minority view in their country.

I believe it has more to do with tolerance and people that travel a lot have to learn to accept that views on nudity or other moral issues might change form country to country and they have to tolerate that and the rules that the country has imposed on them.

• Like 1

Ok a bit out of order, but tourists, drunk, in a tourist area in the middle of Songkran (which is party time to most Westerner's AND Thai's......meanwhile, around the corner Pon is naked and showing all and offering all, to all and sundry!

Everyone knows the Thai culture, of course there will be negative reactions in the Thai media . You can laugh at it all you want , but some Thais will just not accept this behavior .

Two wrongs don't make a right, comes to my mind. The drunken stupid farang women should take their habits and leave....immediately.

whistling.gifTwo centuries ago it was a common practice or Thai women to be topless, especially in rural areas but the customs changed with the introduction of more western clothing and being topless became only for the poor rural workers.

Not for a modern respected woman who lived in a city.

Most Thais don't even know that customs changed then.

Do you think just because they comment on the wrong of this that they don't care about the things you mentioned?

Rather hypocritical a foreigner coming to live in Thailand, probably with no aspiration to get citizenship or even permanent residency, and tell the Thais what and what not to do.

Even if you did get citizenship or permanent residency.

Do you really think as a foreigner you could tell Thai's what to do as Thais can when they take on another nationality.

I very much doubt it.

Are you allowed to vote and own land if you are resident or citizen?Just wondering

Not often I agree with you, but this time 100%..............thumbsup.gif

No, in my opionion you are both wrong. I presume you are both foreigners and therefore guests in the country of Thailand, therefore like it or not you should abide by the laws and cultures of the land. For sure there are many bad things that happen in this country but we have no say in this as we are guests. Do you see Thai girls baring their breasts during Songran? No ! Are Thai men running naked through the streets? No!.

Ok a bit out of order, but tourists, drunk, in a tourist area in the middle of Songkran (which is party time to most Westerner's AND Thai's......meanwhile, around the corner Pon is naked and showing all and offering all, to all and sundry!

Nice girl.Pon.How do you know her?

whistling.gifTwo centuries ago it was a common practice or Thai women to be topless, especially in rural areas but the customs changed with the introduction of more western clothing and being topless became only for the poor rural workers.

Now, the facts:

"In Thailand, the government of Field Marshal Plaek Pibulsonggram issued a series of cultural standards between 1939 and 1942. Mandate 10 issued on September 8, 1941 instructed Thai people to not appear in public places "without being appropriately dressed". Inappropriate dress included "wearing no shirt or wearing a wraparound cloth."[9][10] Before the westernization of dress, Thai women were depicted both fully clothed and topless in public. Until the early 20th century, women from northern Thailand wore a long tube-skirt (Pha-Sin), tied high above their waist and below their breasts, which were uncovered.[11] In the late 19th century the influence of missionaries and modernization under King Chulalongkorn encouraged local women to cover their breasts with blouses."

Wikipedia.

Thailand is the most religious country in the world according to another current news item. That automatically makes it the most hypocritical as well in my book because as you ramp up the level of religion the level of bad-doing must also reduce, or so you would think. But I agree with Costas, Hypocrisy abounds here. A woman assaulted & left to suffocate death in her own blood in a Chiang Mai "Love Hotel" The fact that they did not trumpet that it was Farang makes me think it was local people from the worlds most religious country. I see brutality, starvation & ill-treatment locally to animals every day. People who I know whoTamboon big time at the temple for a big face with Buddha starve their animals or cage them without food or exercise & "leave it for Buddha to fix them" if they get sick. And dot't start me about the official legal standpoint on animal euthanasia if they are dying of cancer or kidney failure.

• Like 1

the woman should be arrested and taught about Thai culture.

The woman will be taught about Thailand's imaginary culture...then brought to Soi 6 in either Pattaya or Jomtien to see the REAL Thai culture at work...what a crock of hooey...laughable Thai indignity at saving face...while they sell their bottoms and faces...

• Like 1

"Kaew Yunyong, a Facebook user, said had the man done it in Singapore, he would have been caned and jailed for seven days."

Yeah Kaew. You can find brutal and cruel laws in many places. So what? You support them then? How about women being beheaded for getting rapped? Somewhere that happens too. Dumb observation. No point made.

• Like 2

dear sir, could you please explain me who you think you are to tell Thais, in whose country you are just a guest, what they should do and what they shouldn't?!

unbelievable effrontery....

and I completely agree with authorities - these spoiled farangs, infecting other nations with there lechery, should be treated like in Singapore - caning and 7 days in jail.

some of these alco-sex-addicts really believe they are precious customers - in reality the damage is much bigger than profit from them.

look on this situation from Thai point of view - strangers come from abroad just to shit in their home. for sure Thais want to kick them out.

no country need such "guests"

Edited by Jeffreyake
  • Like 2

Now, the facts:

"In Thailand, the government of Field Marshal Plaek Pibulsonggram issued a series of cultural standards between 1939 and 1942. Mandate 10 issued on September 8, 1941 instructed Thai people to not appear in public places "without being appropriately dressed". Inappropriate dress included "wearing no shirt or wearing a wraparound cloth."[9][10] Before the westernization of dress, Thai women were depicted both fully clothed and topless in public. Until the early 20th century, women from northern Thailand wore a long tube-skirt (Pha-Sin), tied high above their waist and below their breasts, which were uncovered.[11] In the late 19th century the influence of missionaries and modernization under King Chulalongkorn encouraged local women to cover their breasts with blouses."

Wikipedia.

This is fact ....the reason being....on the average Thai women have nice looking breasts while many have perfect shaped breasts...for the record...so why not proudly display them in all their glory.

I know this to be true.......from plenty of personal visual experience ...believe me...I know...lol

Meantime...another good example of how over zealous Christianity can ruin a good thing.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

Outrageously moot point you make. The things that you mention plague every society. By your logic this means that people are hypocrytical to object to events that they find offensive because there are faults in their society. I think that the complaints are sanctinonious BS but your response is a cheap and dirty non sequitur.

Not often I agree with you, but this time 100%..............thumbsup.gif

No, in my opionion you are both wrong. I presume you are both foreigners and therefore guests in the country of Thailand, therefore like it or not you should abide by the laws and cultures of the land. For sure there are many bad things that happen in this country but we have no say in this as we are guests. Do you see Thai girls baring their breasts during Songran? No ! Are Thai men running naked through the streets? No!.

unfortunately not Thai girls, but Thai men with silicon breasts, yes!

I agree with your comment on child and domestic abuse and that Thailand is not a singularity as far as the world is concerned. I agree too that I personally don’t want to see people drunk and naked staggering around because it isn’t a pleasant view; however, it doesn’t give me a right and other cultures or societies might disagree with my view and they might find it acceptable; my view how the world should behave might be a minority view in their country.

I believe it has more to do with tolerance and people that travel a lot have to learn to accept that views on nudity or other moral issues might change form country to country and they have to tolerate that and the rules that the country has imposed on them.

Yes, civilisation can be considered from the view of the creation of boundaries and personal space. We are no longer a tribal species, which we were certainly in the beginning. Civilisation has brought us the concept of physical independence from the tribe, and the rights of personal privacy and ownership of our own bodies, things which were not part of our tribal origins.

The concept of using clothes to create physical boundaries, to distance one person from another, is a very positive modern tradition for many of us. As a woman, I am grateful for these social norms, they make me feel safer. And these are not new traditions, they have been around for centuries, the exception being some isolated jungle tribes.

What it boils down to, is that there are nudist colonies and topless beaches etc. in our modern world, where it is accepted that the rules are different, and that is OK. I won't go there, and I wouldn't take my kids there. And for those exact reasons, I don't expect myself or my kids to be exposed to naked drunks in a public street. It is not acceptable, regardless of the nation in question.

I do have quite liberal views on many things, and believe in personal freedom. But when person A imposes their nakedness on others in public, while it is his/her personal freedom to do so, it is violating the personal freedom of person B who wishes to not encounter naked people in the street. It is a one-way problem too, because person B isn't going to upset anyone by wearing some smart clothes. So really it is a case of respect, respecting the boundaries that other people feel comfortable and safe with, especially children who should not have to see naked drunken adults in the street.

Edited by Yunla