Durian farmers and traders warned of prison term if sell unripe durians to customers

Lite Beer

Why would they make this a criminal act?

Something doesn't add up here on this one, I'm afraid.

Yes, it's a mistranslation.

It's not illegal to sell unripe durian per se, but to sell unripe ones under the pretence of ripeness. Most countries around the world have similar civil or criminal laws.

Since consumer rights in Thailand are not worth a lot, this seem an attempt to rectify it. Unfortunately idiotic media reports and governmental press releases don't seem to get this right and make a good story crap.

Edited by Morakot

I am happy to see this serious crackdown on yet another dangerous food item. I must stay tuned to see what comes next. Its good to see the new government tackle such serious problems. Jail for this heinous crime WOW. The noose must be coming back for rapists and murderers for sure. Is this part of the new Chapter 44 crackdown.

Who or what is it that is qualified to determine just when that instant happens where the durian changes from unripe to ripe? Jail term or free to walk.

Is there a 'sniffer' technology that does this? I can picture the dial now, with an analogue needle that points on the left to a baby fruit, and on the right to a mature smelly fruit (indicated as such with little squiggly lines rising from it).

Or perhaps a probe that beeps once for unripe, twice for ripe (3 times for overripe even)?

Or maybe just some old biddy who happens to be passing by?

It all seems to be very subjective, and to have a jail term riding on that judgement is, well, laughable!

Only in Thailand!

It's a way to protect the fruit wendors, if they are sold the unripe Durian they can't sell it and will loose their investment, Durian are as we all know a very expensive fruit. Durian sold in the U.S. Are often sold frozen and if it's exported unripe it's no way to get it ripe after you buy it. When it comes to ask fruit vendor to cut melons, pineapple or other fruit in half to see if it's ripe before you buy it is a very disgusting way of doing business since the vendor have no use for the cut unripe fruit. Of course if you pay for the waisted fruit it's up to you to cut the whole inventory until you are satisfied.

quite right too!

they taste bad enough when they're ripe, they must be lethal when they're unripe.

I always think they taste bland when unripe. The flavor is nice rich and strong when ripe.

If someone sells unripe durian as being ripe then presumably they are break some sort of Thai Sales of Goods Law 5555 cheesy.gif

We see how strictly those laws are enforced.

Prison for such rogues. Walk around pissed and <deleted> naked - 100 ThB; beat up someone 500 ThB; run over, drag down the road and kill a cop whilst speeding, drunk and drugged, nothing as long as you can afford to do a runner (and prone to bad colds); pick mushrooms 15 years in prison; sell unripe fruit prison.

Must rush, the mad hatter's having a nice tea party,

Is it dangerous to sell unripe durian fruit or to allow it to ripen off of the tree?

How can they export durian if they have to wait until it is ripe since it would rot during the time to transport it put of the country?

Probably this is also related to the unfair competition. Farmers and sellers who sell unripe fruits have an advantage, it is easier to preserve before sales and deliver to the market.

• Like 1

I once bought tubs of yellow ice cream for the kids while in transit across Java.

Locals were highly amused as four kids rushed to the bins and were spitting and gagging.

My first (and last) encounter with durian ice cream.

It is a special at Swensens. DEEELICIOUS!!!!!

Mystifying! Even 'without any suspension of punishment'. Convicted murderers sentenced to death are released on bail, but sell and unripe durian and we'll throw you in cling and toss away the key. Amazing Thailand, or is this an example of 'Thainess'.

Draconian punishments but if you use slaves on your fishing trawlers, it's all hunky dory,for the owner; and the slave gets prosecuted for working without a visa.

My mind somehow refuses to accept that there isn't something more to this story...is durian like fugu fish and if it is unripe whole families are wiped out? Some commenters insist that it is ok to taste unripe durian, but how can I be sure?

Let's be fair now.

If people can go to jail for unripe durian. Obviously all the the other unripe fruits sellers must be criminals also.

Unripe apples 20 years.?

Unripe bananas 10 years.?

Unripe grapes 5 years or less depending what you know. ?

Just wondered, who empowered "The Durian Police", where did, do they get the power to look, inspect a purchase I have made, bought and paid for.

Control of your industry or association is Ok.

If I choose to buy bad fruit knowingly or not is my choice.

After some research I Got It wrong, only applies to the Growers and Sellers???

http://www.bakermckenzie.com/files/Uploads/Documents/Supporting%20Your%20Business/Global%20Markets%20QRGs/DBI%20Thailand/bk_dbi_thailand_tradecompetitionlaw.pdf

Interesting law, regulation, the link is above, worth the read!

Is it dangerous to sell unripe durian fruit or to allow it to ripen off of the tree?

How can they export durian if they have to wait until it is ripe since it would rot during the time to transport it put of the country?

I know of no danger from unripe durian, in fact I believe if it is unripe you simply wouldn't eat it, or in Malaysia cook unripened durian as a vegetable kind of serving. Medically, there is no record of unripe durian being any kind of danger. Something doesn't add up here on this one, I'm afraid.

Durian doesn't rot quickly once ripe, and transports well, but I can't work out what this criminal act for transporting unripe is all about. Somebody's on to something, and not sharing it, and it obviously involves a lot of money. wink.png

Maybe the price not wripe !

Thanks for bringing up DURIAN my most cherished special food. Without durian would life even be worthwhile? Hardly! But, as for the state of ripeness I must agree that the riper the best smelling and best tasting. The person going on about having vanilla ice cream with durian must not have tried it with chocolate. That is surely having durian at its most flavorful! Sometimes if I don't have the loose cash to make a purchase when passing a durian stand I just make a stop and savor the smell. That in itself can be very satisfying but, one does suffer for a while with withdrawal symptoms. I love it when any girlfriend I might be with doesn't like durian thus it all goes to my taste buds! I'm normally not this way but with durian I become another person, not caring for the other person at all if they like it and want some.

Thanks for bringing up DURIAN my most cherished special food. Without durian would life even be worthwhile? Hardly! But, as for the state of ripeness I must agree that the riper the best smelling and best tasting. The person going on about having vanilla ice cream with durian must not have tried it with chocolate. That is surely having durian at its most flavorful! Sometimes if I don't have the loose cash to make a purchase when passing a durian stand I just make a stop and savor the smell. That in itself can be very satisfying but, one does suffer for a while with withdrawal symptoms. I love it when any girlfriend I might be with doesn't like durian thus it all goes to my taste buds! I'm normally not this way but with durian I become another person, not caring for the other person at all if they like it and want some.

"I love it when any girlfriend I might be with doesn't like durian thus it all goes to my taste buds!"

Any girlfriend I might be with? Hmmmm. Seems the durian goes to more than the taste buds.

As the Malaysians say, "as the durian comes down, the sarongs go up"

good luck with any of your girlfriends! tongue.png