NACC seizes assets of ex-DSI chief

Lite Beer

How about something more recent.. like between 1996-2006.. I know quoting pre history makes old timers feel good.

Also.. what is the relevance.. Thaksin is in the here and now.. those others......

Lol...Thaksin "is in the here and now".....youre joking! He's history !!!! Why are TV posters are obsessed with him? Who cares about him? The here and now is the Junta!!!

Actually the "here and now" is the NACC seizing assets of the ex-DSI chief Tarit and his wife. 1.2 million from him, 39.7 million from his wife.

• Like 2

The National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) seizes assets worth 40 million baht of former director-general of the Department of Special Investigation Tharit Phengdit on grounds of unusual wealth.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

couldn't look into the 'PM' & his brother or the top cop the 'PM' appointed, or, ... or, ... or ...

How about something more recent.. like between 1996-2006.. I know quoting pre history makes old timers feel good.

Also.. what is the relevance.. Thaksin is in the here and now.. those others......

Lol...Thaksin "is in the here and now".....youre joking! He's history !!!! Why are TV posters are obsessed with him? Who cares about him? The here and now is the Junta!!!

Actually the "here and now" is the NACC seizing assets of the ex-DSI chief Tarit and his wife. 1.2 million from him, 39.7 million from his wife.

Yes agreed, but somehow Thaksin enters every topic ! My point is why ???? Why the TV obsession with one guy who hasn't actually been around for ages now. Forget him !!!

Yes agreed, but somehow Thaksin enters every topic ! My point is why ???? Why the TV obsession with one guy who hasn't actually been around for ages now. Forget him !!!

Why? Because as you should know as oldtimer here both pro and con like to mention him apart from the fact that our beloved criminal fugitive also like to be in the news, either directly or by having his underlings mention him. Like the time some Pheu Thai chap said Thaksin might smile at PM Prayut if he saw him in Singapore.

Also in all the cases where people ask to investigate Abhisit, Suthep, PDRC, yellows, etc., etc., also Thaksin, Pheu Thai, UDD and so are involved.

So, just ignore him? Difficult. Still justice will prevail in the end.

BTW "NACC seizing assets of the ex-DSI chief Tarit and his wife. 1.2 million from him, 39.7 million from his wife."

Edited by rubl

Interesting if Tarit submitted his asset list in 2009 at 37 million, and now 6 years later he has 40 million, i hardly think that highlights unusal wealth.

I wonder why 6 years later the NACC have suddenly decided to take action?

It's only his claim that he declared assets in 2009.

As there was no requirement for him to do so, he wasn't an MP or senator, his claim is quite suspect.

'UNUSUALLY RICH': NACC

Ex-DSI chief hit with assets freeze
The Nation

NACC says Tarit pengdith is 'unusually rich' but he denies concealing assets

BANGKOK: -- THE NATIONAL Anti-Corruption Commission yesterday announced that it had temporarily frozen nearly Bt60 million in assets of former Department of Special Investigation director-general Tarit Pengdith and a former academic attached to the Revenue Department, Suwat Charumaniroj, pending probes into the source of their wealth.

NACC secretary-general Sansern Polajiak said a fact-finding committee appointed by the graft watchdog on October 30 found that there were grounds to believe Tarit and his wife had concealed their assets and were "unusually rich".

Sansern said the NACC action against Tarit had nothing to do with corruption allegations, but were solely because of his alleged unusual wealth.

NACC director Vicha Mahakhun said the agency had frozen Bt40 million worth of assets belonging to Tarit. They comprised cash from several bank accounts, land title deeds in Nakhon Ratchasima, Chai Nat and Pathum Thani, two-floor concrete buildings, houses, and vehicles such as a Mercedes Benz and a Toyota Alphard.

Vicha said the agency had ordered Tarit, his wife and their children to submit a retroactive asset declaration within 30 days.

The NACC would compare their new asset declaration with ones Tarit submitted earlier to determine if there was any irregularity, Vicha said.

Tarit also faces charges of encroaching on three reserve forests in Nakhon Ratchasima's Pak Chong district. NACC director Preecha Lertkamolmat is in charge of Tarit's case, Vicha said.

A source said the NACC had acted on public complaints and appointed a panel in October last year to launch an asset investigation against Tarit, which found that he transferred assets soon after being replaced as DSI chief last year.

The panel also found that he withdrew a lot of money from several banks, transferred securities, and changed ownership of his land.

The NACC ordered Tarit to explain the source of his assets and provide reasons for his recent actions in relation to his assets. The agency may freeze additional assets.

Tarit hit back over an allegation he is "unusually rich", saying the value of his assets had only risen Bt3 million over the past five years - from Bt37.3 million to Bt40.9 million.

He said he declared his wealth at Bt37.3 million to the NACC when he was appointed secretary-general of the Office of Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission in 2009.

Tarit said he faced an asset investigation because he had overseen important cases as DSI chief, and as a result he had been sued more than 30 times, 19 of which had been dropped.

"I am confident that I will receive justice from the court and I will fight to the Supreme Court in every case,'' he said.

Asked if he knew why the NACC seized his assets on March 16 but waited more than a month to announce the seizure, Tarit said he suspected the agency waited to see the final list of more than 100 officials suspected of corruption.

He said he was not on that list, which was submitted to the PM on Friday for disciplinary action to be meted out.

Tarit said the deadline for him to submit a new assets declaration was today and he would seek permission to postpone submitting it for another 30 days.

Meanwhile, the NACC froze Bt19 million in assets belonging to former academic attached to the Revenue Department, Suwat Charumaniroj, his wife Thitirat Charumaniroj, their daughters Nopradee and Chanapa, and Thanat Patimavadi, who is linked to the family.

The assets include cash from several bank accounts, stock, investment units in open funds, debt instruments and vehicles.

The move came after the NACC on February 4 appointed a fact-finding panel headed by Supa Piyajitti which found that there were grounds to believe that Suwat was unusually rich and may have transferred, converted and concealed his assets.

Suwat has been instructed to declare assets under his name or his wife, children or any proxy, within 30 days.

In another shake-up of the bureaucracy, Interior Minister Anupong Paochinda will move three director-generals to inactive posts.

Siripong Hantrakul, Land Department chief, Wallop Pringpong, chief of the Local Administration Promotion Department, and Kwanchai Wongnitikorn, chief of the Community Development Department, were all to have retired at the end of September.

A source at the ministry said the three senior officials needed to step down because they could not comply with the government's reform road map. The governors of four to eight provinces will be removed for the same reason.

Anupong would submit the reshuffle list to the Cabinet for approval, the source said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Ex-DSI-chief-hit-with-assets-freeze-30258293.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-20

" Tarit said the deadline for him to submit a new assets declaration was today and he would seek permission to postpone submitting it for another 30 days. "

Why? Does it really take that long to record his assets, or does he need the extra time to be extra careful?'

it amaze me that they can just freeze someone assets just because they think he is unusually wealthy. These people at the NACC are too powerful.

He is not just anyone, Bob. Try to keep up.

• Like 1

Tarit, seeing his wealth and face disappear, shame heaped upon his wife and children. I wonder Mr Tarit, was it really worth doing the devil's bidding? Did you really not see that it was always going to end in tears?

Talking of doing the devils bidding, i wonder if members of the NACC will eventually regret their current work.

I have no doubt that most of them have assets of 40 million and plush holiday retreats in Khao Yai.

• Like 1

Tarit, seeing his wealth and face disappear, shame heaped upon his wife and children. I wonder Mr Tarit, was it really worth doing the devil's bidding? Did you really not see that it was always going to end in tears?

Talking of doing the devils bidding, i wonder if members of the NACC will eventually regret their current work.

I have no doubt that most of them have assets of 40 million and plush holiday retreats in Khao Yai.

Let us know when that thread, with something more significant than your "no doubt", appears.

Meanwhile, this thread is on Tarit.

;)

Edit to add: and his wife and children.

Edited by Alwym

One must presume they have some iron clad info of corruption on Tarit for them to freeze his assets.

If it was based purely on unusual wealth then there would be many more before him being investigated.

Oh, no, it's all about which clique is up and which is down for today. It's the Thai saying, "When the tide is in the fish eat the ants, when the tide is out the ants eat the fish." There are family feuds, business competition, political antagonisms, and just plain petty willfulness. Gen. Prayut is conservative, so for today the yellow shirts are in the ascendant, but aren't allowed to shout it from the rooftops. In a few years things will swing the other way.

• Like 1

Greed blinds.

Being raised in a system were short-sightedness is encouraged it is endemic.

• Like 1

40m is nothing, its peanuts in real terms here... anyways itll be just a wealth transfer.

Damn; 40 million Baht (or more than US $1, 235,000), is considered "...peanuts"? I guess this illustrates how sad my government pension is sad.png !

If you know it then post some info.. educate me if you can..
I wish I was able to....but the present political climate and forum rules prohibit ! It's really up to you to dig deeper .....

Thaksin was simply cleverer at tapping the needs of the mass of Thai voters...that was his main "crime"....the other corruption issues are just run of the mill Thai "customs " lol

In short you have nothing... as expected.

Yes you are right ! Nothing that can be said here . Just keep the blinkers on ! One day you also will change your present views.......I hope lol. I can't argue with you so enough said !

I can't argue without facts and of course I also don't think Thaksin was the only one or that others are clean.. its ore a matter of lesser evils. And if you had such good data you could have send it as a message. Seriously open to information.

One must presume they have some iron clad info of corruption on Tarit for them to freeze his assets.

If it was based purely on unusual wealth then there would be many more before him being investigated.

Oh, no, it's all about which clique is up and which is down for today. It's the Thai saying, "When the tide is in the fish eat the ants, when the tide is out the ants eat the fish." There are family feuds, business competition, political antagonisms, and just plain petty willfulness. Gen. Prayut is conservative, so for today the yellow shirts are in the ascendant, but aren't allowed to shout it from the rooftops. In a few years things will swing the other way.

Agree with you on the whole, but your last sentence loses a lot. Article 44 hides so many knock-out punches for anybody daring to question the assets of those currently "in power". Tarit's assets, even if (likely) ill-gotten gains, are a drop in the ocean compared to yours truly Mr. P, whose personal assets have risen from 680M to 1.4Billion since he took power, alledgedly that is. rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Agreed, I would prefer to see it an other way with justice for all, but if this is how it is then I am happy that now its time for the reds to be the ones under investigation. But its not like this is 100% political.. because the crimes are real.

I think you could also look at it an other way, then the current government going after them, you could also say the criminals lost their protection. Witch is an accurate statement.

• Like 1

Has any Thai government in recent history indicted so many fat cats in so short a time?

Keep it up.

Surely not.. the PTP were masters of corruption. The only reason they wanted to hold on to power at all cost was to avoid this. Now an other party is there checking them and this is their worst nightmare.

You must be kidding. PTP= small beer, chicken feed, minnows, rank amateurs relative to some of their predecessors ( but maybe now that's considered 'old money')

You are right. PTP etc had only been at it for a few years. The army/dems/elite have been at it for decades. They just didn't like new boy Taksin muscling in and refusing to share. We are witnessing a turf war between equally nasty groups of people. The only good thing to come out of the mess is that Mr T. used tactics that resulted in huge benefits for the poor of Thailand. That's what democracy does occasionally - ie force power hungry politicians into acting in the interests of the electorate.

it amaze me that they can just freeze someone assets just because they think he is unusually wealthy. These people at the NACC are too powerful.

Well, Bob, if you read the articles, you will see that his assets have been temporarily seized. If investigation shows nothing wrong, I am sure he will have them returned.

What are the chances he will be found whiter than white?

Has any Thai government in recent history indicted so many fat cats in so short a time?

Keep it up.

Surely not.. the PTP were masters of corruption. The only reason they wanted to hold on to power at all cost was to avoid this. Now an other party is there checking them and this is their worst nightmare.

You must be kidding. PTP= small beer, chicken feed, minnows, rank amateurs relative to some of their predecessors ( but maybe now that's considered 'old money')

You are right. PTP etc had only been at it for a few years. The army/dems/elite have been at it for decades. They just didn't like new boy Taksin muscling in and refusing to share. We are witnessing a turf war between equally nasty groups of people. The only good thing to come out of the mess is that Mr T. used tactics that resulted in huge benefits for the poor of Thailand. That's what democracy does occasionally - ie force power hungry politicians into acting in the interests of the electorate.

I suppose changing national laws for personal gain could be considered as 'tactics' in a way, yes. However, I wouldn't particularly reference that as being 'democratic'. ;)

Well, Bob, if you read the articles, you will see that his assets have been temporarily seized. If investigation shows nothing wrong, I am sure he will have them returned.

What are the chances he will be found whiter than white?

Tarit is not wealthy enough to be found whiter than white cheesy.gif - no tiaras in his locker.

Only the 'big guns' from now on are whiter than white (c.f. Article 44).

• Like 2