Teachers changing their methods: allowing students to learn by doing

webfact

EDUCATION
Teachers changing their methods: allowing students to learn by doing

Chularat Saengpassa
The Nation

30258296-01.jpeg

'Greater pupil involvement has given students more confidence

BANGKOK: -- SOME TEACHERS have been changing the way they teach through their participation in project-based learning and its advanced versions.

"I have turned classrooms into spaces where my students and I live together. I've come to the class to learn with them," said Sanya Makarin, who works at the Ban Non Chai Municipal School in Khon Kaen.

He believes this fresh approach has added dynamic to his students' and his learning. Together, they have developed ties and learnt about various things from academic subjects to social issues.

For example, his students have tackled the garbage problem in their hometown and their collective voice was powerful enough to prompt the authorities to step in.

"And with the students' initiative, a public forum was even held to explore possible solutions," the teacher said proudly.

Renumas Pakdeeto, a teacher at Ban Khek Noi School in Phetchabun, was also proud to talk about how she has stopped being the only one who talked in class and tried to spoon-feed knowledge and her viewpoint to students.

"I changed when I realised that we need to have confidence in students. In fact, they can do much more than we think they are capable of," she said.

Just like Sanya, Renumas came to share her experience with fellow teachers at a recent forum. The event took place as part of the Samsung Smart Learning Centre initiative.

Their secondary schools participate in the initiative, which offers IT facilities, training and financial support for better educational opportunities for children.

Renumas, who has taught computer and independent study, said that when IT devices were available for students their confidence grew.

She said most students at Ban Khek Noi School were from the Hmong hill tribe, and because their Thai pronunciation was not perfect they were rather shy and lacked confidence when communicating with others.

But since the Samsung Smart Learning Centre initiative had come to the school, she has seen changes for the better in the |children.

"Their confidence has grown. It's because they have recognised their value and their potential. The new learning process has engaged them and let them know that they can be in charge," she said.

Coached by teachers, students are encouraged to look around their community, identify problems, and propose solutions.

"In the process, I have transformed myself too. I stopped trying to dictate to my students. I have been supervising their work without disrupting or upsetting their learning," she said.

"I've let them think and act. I have learnt to give my students opportunities to learn by doing. If they don't do their work right, let it be so, so they can learn from their mistakes."

Renumas said some teachers might get worried about letting Mathayom 1 students develop a project to solve a community problem on their own.

"But the bottom line is that we have to admit that learning the process to gain knowledge is more important than getting a ready answer from teachers," she explained.

Kanjana Aksorndit, who teaches at Thoengwittayakhom School in Chiang Rai, said she encouraged her students to choose a subject that interested them and conduct a study on it. She said the response from students was terrific.

"I don't have to force them to seek knowledge. It's they who came to me and suggested that they want to find out about this and that issue," she said.

It was a process that resulted in the students learning multiple skills, she said, adding that when students ran into obstacles they brainstormed and tried to solve the problems together.

"At my school, we have encouraged the older students who have already gone past this stage to serve as mentors and coaches too," Kanjana discloses.

Wichien Kleebjong, a teacher at Prommanusorn School in Phetchaburi said that using the project-based learning approach allowed her to prepare a real-life learning environment for her students.

"Such an approach makes it fun for children to learn and teachers are so happy with their job," she said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Teachers-changing-their-methods-allowing-students--30258296.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-20

• Like 1

This article isn't about EFL teaching.

"There are professionally trained teachers from their own countries teaching English here"

Very few at that. Most either teach subject matter in EP, bilingual programs or teach at international schools.

My point is that EFL teachers only really know what is going on with a student from an English speaking perspective. They cannot really comment on the students' education as a whole because they are not involved with cross discipline teaching.

As this article is about Education as a whole and not EFL. You and the other poster seem to be sending this topic off course.

Wow! such an innovative idea... who came up with that plan, or project?

of all the teachers in thailand that are foreigners... dont most of you teach this way? its been a jillion years since Foreigners have been coming here to teach...and today... they make a project to do what? "Monkey see, Monkey do way?

wow, someone just woke up... smile.png

oh... to add fuel to the fire... now what will happen to the loads and loads of homework that is given the students each day? now they have to think in class and do... still get a ton of homework?

whats that song? "where not going to take it anymore..." Twisted sister... hmm on the horizon? Thailand is a land of Protests... red, blue, yellow now students... it will be interesting to see this facebook population rise...

Edited by cmiuc
  • Like 1

Nice report.

Let's hope the education superboard have seen this report and encourage this to expand.

However let's also hope that this becomes a structured approach to project based learning / student centered learning

By structured I don't mean a very detailed process which is nothing more than a rework of rote learning.

Education systems (by country) who use this approach allow and expect the teachers (for good reasons) to quickly analyze the situation and quickly construct what they do / say next to continuously encourage the student input / student discussion, etc.

My own experience. My Thai son went to a Thai bi-lingual school here in Thailand for many years (I admit it wasn't the best school, it had few western teachers with lots of turnover).

Then my Thai son went to Singapore for the last few years of high school where all schools use the project based / student centered learning methodology. He knew Singapore fairly well from numerous short visits and was very keen to go. I knew well the first few weeks, the transition, would be hard, but I was confident that he would cope and he did. His English capabilities, all skills, were already quite advanced.

He came home often for the week-end and quickly he was a new teenager, he anticipated things, he analyzed things, he asked his mother and me lots of in-depth mature and broad questions about life, civil society, and other very specific subjects, and he constructed good discussions in both Thai and English to give his summation of what he had observed and/or his thoughts and opinions. All from project based / student centered learning. He also become more focused on family, other people around him, and strongly reduced his previous strong focus on himself.

My son well realizes that his education in Singapore has given his new capabilities and greater opportunities, and when his kids started school (in Thailand) he did a lot of research to ensure they learn in the project based / student centered approach. And we can see the positive results.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How refreshing. Obviously a win-win situation. Listen up dear leader, this is the way all schools should be run. Any teacher who does not allow students to ask questions should be fired. coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJARfU4 alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24> alt=thumbsup.gif>

hehe it is usually us who are fired for doing this kind of method... Thais don't like to be showed up when someone breaks the shell..

• Like 1

This article isn't about EFL teaching.

"There are professionally trained teachers from their own countries teaching English here"

Very few at that. Most either teach subject matter in EP, bilingual programs or teach at international schools.

My point is that EFL teachers only really know what is going on with a student from an English speaking perspective. They cannot really comment on the students' education as a whole because they are not involved with cross discipline teaching.

As this article is about Education as a whole and not EFL. You and the other poster seem to be sending this topic off course.

So what you are saying is that English speaking teachers in Thailand can't evaluate the whole education system because they are only involved in English education ? Unfortunately your argument is flawed as is shown by the international evaluations of students, where the Thai students don't perform well in maths, science, English and even home language skills. There are also Thai educational activists that has been criticising the education system in the same areas as the English speaking teachers. These problem areas are the curriculum, teaching methods, training of student teachers at universities are not inline with training given in countries with sucessful education systems, seniority determining promotion, political interference in education, admission to schools and grades being bought, lack of parent participation and the general lack of will to achieve by the students.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How refreshing. Obviously a win-win situation. Listen up dear leader, this is the way all schools should be run. Any teacher who does not allow students to ask questions should be fired. coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJARfU4 alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24> alt=thumbsup.gif>

hehe it is usually us who are fired for doing this kind of method... Thais don't like to be showed up when someone breaks the shell..

aint that the truth, i've seen it in so many facets of life, when a farang does something much better than them.

they dont react with "oh how did you do that?" or the like, you often just see petty jealousy,

btw "shown up" is better usage tongue.png

Edited by kaorop

"Great news. Eventually the Thais will invent communicative language teaching and critical thinking."

That is like when a woman tells you that your are handsome for your age and weight.

Talk about a back handed comment.

What do you actually know about education or Thai education specifically? (DELETED)

Student centered learning is nothing new but it is very hard to correctly adapt to the classroom and curriculum. Communicative approach to language teaching is so last year. Get with it. Those that are proponents of Communicative approach are those without degrees in education or ability to do anything but speak in the target language. There are so many other skills in language development than just communicating. If all you are doing is relying on that, then you must realize that the students need other teachers helping them with the other language skills.

This article is about a lot more than that. This touches on the role of the teacher, the role of the student. Realizing that collectively your students know more than you do. It is very difficult to show the same results that a standardized test can, so administration tends to think of it is not as essential. This method of education is also very time consuming. Lecturing is the most efficient way to get information out, it also can be the least effective. Balancing your teaching style to combine, task based learning with lecture and rote memorization is probably the most effective.

"teacching without degrees?" is that not a problem the gov should address? lecturing is the most efficient way to get info out, huh.... for the teach or student asleep in row 6 ? you sound like a old hack trying to preserve your way of life .... , just saying that is what you come across as, if i am wrong please show me some stats that rote teaching in mass is the best education out there , i will accept it if you can provide it :-)

"I've let them think and act. I have learnt to give my students opportunities to learn by doing. If they don't do their work right, let it be so, so they can learn from their mistakes."

Oh god. please help me. Is that the speech of a seven year old?

It's a shame. Didn't any Thai ever bother to translate any teaching pedagogy textbook from the last 40 years into english? It this Thais 'figuring things out on their own' and not paying attention to what is happening in the rest of the world? Or is it one educators 15 minutes of fame? The world has moved on, Thailand. Get with it! Just the fact kids in government high schools and those doing entrance exams, can't use calculators, tells a lot about the education system here. Nothing will change until the top-down transmission of knowledge culture changes. I've never seen a country so OBSESSED with tests. Yet school graduates can barely muster 30-40% on a multi-choice test. Something is badly messed up with this system.

• Like 1

Seems to be spleen letting time.......My beef with Thai Education concerns the multiplicity of 'schools' teaching English, I was called to an interview at one such school for the purpose of commiting to an expensive long term contract for them to teach my stepdaughter English.Foolishly they had the alleged teacher present at the interview, [a very pretty young lady, hard to say no to ], in fact almost impossible to say anything to as she hardly had any English skill at all. Finally as we upped stumps and made our farewells she sat there quite unsure of what ever had happened. i do hope someone had explained it to her .

Oh! Yes we did find an excellent English teacher in the person of a young English Backpacker, and i am well informed that the two [daughter & teacher] became firm friends. Sadly teacher has moved on to Aus NZ etc but if you know of another similar in SURIN, Please let me know.