Do You Have Car Cam ?

I was thinking of putting a car camera on my dash board to record some of my driving. How does it work exactly. Im assuming one can later plug it into a laptop and save the files.

If you have one can you explain how it works exactly? Why do you have it? Im assuming it would be useful in the event of an accident. For general running around town I dont see the point to be honest.

thanks

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one, plugged into the lighter socket it starts with the ignition, stops when you turn off. When the memory card is full it simply over writes the oldest files, all totally automatic.

Fit and forget until you have a shunt at which time pop out the SD card ready to use as a separate witness.

IMHO an essential accessory.

"General running around town" is exactly when you need it, that's when you are most likely to have a minor coming together.

I have one with a sd memory card which can be opened on my laptop, police do not like being filmed, once noted they usually wave me on, on the occasions I have been stopped a quick check of my licence and I an on my way.

Had one occasion when transporting a mattress, pulled over, he saw the camera, asked where we were going, was it secure (yes) ok, sent on our way, friend was pulled over with similar load, fined 900 baht, part for the load and part for not having his licence with him. Went to the police station, handed over 1000 baht, no change and no request to see his licence!

Most of them record onto micro SD cards, like this (the small one):

392x429xth_nh_1_1.jpg.pagespeed.ic.JmTzK

Which can be easily removed and played back on PC's and even phones, tablets and TV's - if they have an appropriate card reader.

The primary use-case is recording the facts of what happened in an accident - should you be so unfortunate to be in one, or witness one. There have been a few posts on these very forums where posters have caught some pretty dramatic crash footage on them. If you really want to see the kinds of things they capture, just go to Youtube and search for dashcam.

Outside of that, some traffic police seem more biased towards giving out warnings rather than 'fines' if they see one recording wink.png, and I guess there's also been a few people who've found their cameras have also recorded them visiting places/people their spouse shouldn't know about tongue.png

Edited by IMHO

If you have a smart phone or tablet and obviously a car mount, you can use apps like Auto Guard Pro. Crash recording etc plus others like on command background recording, so that you can still use your GPS and the camera function is still working,

About 6 months ago was a posting here showing a tragic road accident, and a car driving behind also was hit hard and its driver was the only survivor. The police try to put the blame of the accident on him, but...he had a car camera showing everything. Also the camera tape all conversations inside and outside the car, useful for police stops. Many Russian videos on youtube showing similar incidents. That's makes me think about, and I bought a cheap but nice car camera in Lazada for 1.100thb (better ones go upto 6.000thb). Was in our car that is driven just by my wife, 2 weeks ago, when a motorcycle sided a door. The insurance guy was kind of confused about the event, until he saw the camera, and asked if everything was taped. Just that was enough to clear the events, and no to have any problems. Lazada have other type selling for just 400thb, but If I have to buy another, will be the one with 2 lens for 1.475thb, to get the action at front and back. Totally automatic, and can even be used like photo/video home camera.

Nice stuff.

post-183983-0-23648100-1423390132_thumb.

Edited by umbanda

Yes I recently got one too at Tuk Com in Pattaya. They were helpful explaining the workings.

Just as other people say a witness in case of accident or back up when stopped by police

Of course if you are at fault in the accident I suppose could count against you

About 6 months ago was a posting here showing a tragic road accident, and a car driving behind also was hit hard and its driver was the only survivor. The police try to put the blame of the accident on him, but...he had a car camera showing everything. Also the camera tape all conversations inside and outside the car, useful for police stops. Many Russian videos on youtube showing similar incidents. That's makes me think about, and I bought a cheap but nice car camera in Lazada for 1.100thb (better ones go upto 6.000thb). Was in our car that is driven just by my wife, 2 weeks ago, when a motorcycle sided a door. The insurance guy was kind of confused about the event, until he saw the camera, and asked if everything was taped. Just that was enough to clear the events, and no to have any problems. Lazada have other type selling for just 400thb, but If I have to buy another, will be the one with 2 lens for 1.475thb, to get the action at front and back. Totally automatic, and can even be used like photo/video home camera.

Nice stuff.

attachicon.gifCamera2.jpg

What's the point of the rear facing camera? From what I've read it only records what's happening inside the car.

I bought a cam from Lazada, about ฿1000.-, two lenses. Instructions written in tiny print, apparently using Google translate. The instructions also referred to another model. The picture quality is rubbish, no number plate readable. In the same way that I am happy that I never got around to buying a stand alone GPS, I now use my iPhone as car cam and my Android as navigator. I don't use the one device for both as I have had battery problems in the past. Screen mounting ฿90 - 200.-. no ฿1000.- mini SD card necessary.

What's the point of the rear facing camera? From what I've read it only records what's happening inside the car.

My rear facing camera as the name suggests faces rear, it captures all that is going on behind my vehicle.

Here is my camera's, watch the vid and you will understand the function of the rear camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dqTD_hrdhg

Edited by Don Mega

My rear facing camera as the name suggests faces rear, it captures all that is going on behind my vehicle.

I'm talking about the dual lens camera as umbanda pictured in his post #6.

Edited by giddyup

Ohhh Ok.

where is the rear facing camera on his ?

Ohhh Ok.

Click on the picture, which enlarges it, then you'll see.

Ohhh Ok.

Click on the picture, which enlarges it, then you'll see.

Yeah I looked but Iam not seeing a camera lens.

A couple features that may be of interest:

1) While driving if the unit detects an impact it protects the recording automatically.

2) Unattended impact where the unit will start recording if it detects an impact even while the vehicle is turned off.

3) Dual channel recording which means front and rear.

4) Audio recording.

I haven't found one that does all of these things but I am looking. If you know one that has all of these features please let me know.

Kurt

1) While driving if the unit detects an impact it protects the recording automatically.

2) Unattended impact where the unit will start recording if it detects an impact even while the vehicle is turned off.

4) Audio recording.

I haven't found one that does all of these things but I am looking. If you know one that has all of these features please let me know.

Kurt

I've never heard of any DVR that is able to turn itself on automatically based on the G-Sensor. Most of these things just don't have the kind of battery reserve power that feature would need. You could of course wire them up so they are permanently supplied power by the car, but that has implications too ;)

As for dual channel - there are some units out there that do this, but AFAIK, none that are able to do it with dual 1080P cameras front/rear. I have seen for myself that some class 10 micro SD's have problems writing even just 1x 1080P stream (write speed just not fast enough for the bitrate), let alone 2 of them.

Just buy separate front/rear cams each with their own microSD card - these cams are pretty cheap anyway ;)

4) Audio recording.

Kurt

You want to look at the Blackvue camera's.

http://www.blackvuehd.co.uk/Blackvue_DR550GW_2ch.php

The Parking mode takes care of your second requirement however you also need to purchase the power magic pro to power the camera otherwise it will drain your car battery.

http://www.blackvuehd.co.uk/Power_Magic_Pro.php

I have one with one view in front and one that can be turned anywhere from front to back, it's recording the window and that keeps the police quieter than before.

But the footage didn't help much to make the other party pay the damage when they rammed my car with an un-insured company car carrying 15 staff to a job. The police was impressed, but didn't do more than record my complaint.

Sure it's good to have to support your side of the story when it's a more nasty situation.

I have one for one simple reason....I am a Varangians and therefore any accident will be my fault. God forbid I get into one but the first thing that will happen if I am capable is that the card will be removed and saved until I can give it to my lawyer. Under no circumstances will the card find its way into any of the BIB hands. I just think it might disappear.

Cheap insurance really.

I have one with one view in front and one that can be turned anywhere from front to back, it's recording the window and that keeps the police quieter than before.

But the footage didn't help much to make the other party pay the damage when they rammed my car with an un-insured company car carrying 15 staff to a job. The police was impressed, but didn't do more than record my complaint.

Sure it's good to have to support your side of the story when it's a more nasty situation.

Unfortunately, as unfair as it is, you can't get blood out of a stone.

I have something similar to Crossy #2. Bought it from a local store for around 2,500 baht, plugs into the cigarette lighter and begin recording when I start the car (took little manual reading for the set up, video quality, and loop, so old files are automatic erased). Records to a SD Card that you can pull out and stick into your computer and move video files, if needed.

There are many cameras for sale by mail order; some have user comments worth reading.

smile.png

The Blackvue Singapore Youtube video looks impressive. What would be the total cost (not including SD card) to install the front/rear set-up in Thailand?

Not sure if you can buy them locally but they are about Bt.10000 on amazon including the power magic pro.

Install should not take anymore than about an hour.

I take it if you get thumped on the side then you don't have much evidence on your video.

And then when you swivel it around to the side the BIB don't tell you to turn it of?

I take it if you get thumped on the side then you don't have much evidence on your video.

And then when you swivel it around to the side the BIB don't tell you to turn it of?

This one has 2 cameras, one to the front and one can be moved, but it's always to the right window, so I don't turn it when stopped by the police.

To view all sides of the car you would need to cameras.

Edited by recycler

This one has 2 cameras, one to the front and one can be moved, but it's always to the right window, so I don't turn it when stopped by the police.

To view all sides of the car you would need to cameras.

I imagine you would need 4 cameras to view all sides of the car. Most of them have a 170 degree viewing angle, so front and rear cameras won't cover the sides of the car.