Thai opinion: A few tips for the new American ambassador

webfact

I would say this writer need to go back to school and take more courses on international relations. What a stupid article written by someone who knows absolutely nothing about politica

But he does appear to know quite a bit about people.....

"Call in sick or take a vacation if need be. People will want to see you. All kinds of people. When in doubt, shut the door, pack your suitcase and fly home to watch a baseball game. If you let them see you, the meeting will be tweeted about in seconds, put on Facebook in minutes and splashed across news websites in hours. Comments will follow, and, trust me, you wouldn't want to read or know about half of them."

And that sounds rather like Major Major Major from Catch 22, and I would imagine being the American Ambassador to Thailand would be a classic Catch 22 situation.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Look a little deeper, and ask..

Why does TV even permit trash like this on the Forum?

There are many restrictions about what can be posted on TV.

Can't they restrict the garbage as well?

Thanks for nothing TV !

You see it wrong Willy.

We love to read this BS and react on it. This is what keeps us (and TV) going, keeps us amused and we can waste some time doing the reading. You want to go out jogging in this temperature?

I took this as satire and completely tongue in cheek. Like an article from "The Onion" for Thais. Or does that not exist at The Nation?

Forgive my ignorance. I'm just learning what 'Thai media' is all about.

Ten years ago, The Nation was tasked to smear/destroy Thaksin and promote military rule.

You see, the backers of the military need to be in control of Thailand on DDay.

The Nation is part of the elaborate ruse. Sad, some Thai Visa posters don't realize this.

Yeah, right, thaksin needed smearing. The truth was enough to expose him for what he is.

• Like 1

I took this as satire and completely tongue in cheek. Like an article from "The Onion" for Thais. Or does that not exist at The Nation?

Ten years ago, The Nation was tasked to smear/destroy Thaksin and promote military rule.

The Nation is part of the elaborate ruse. Sad, some Thai Visa posters don't realize this.

Yeah, right, thaksin needed smearing. The truth was enough to expose him for what he is.

Wow. You still don't get it.

No.

I do.

I lived through his misrule.

He is guilty of a lot of things, the least of which he is currently evading justice over.

• Like 1

No.

I do.

He is guilty of a lot of things, the least of which he is currently evading justice over.

You didn't 'live thru' anything. All you did was read The Nation and believe it.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

No.

I do.

So did I. Let's see...... The ladies at Nana put on clothes for dancing and the Yaba market went off for a bit and business in general was great and I got 40 baht to dollar, he started a 30 baht health care scheme so my mother in law got free medical care and he was the first Thai PM to serve a full term and he built a new airport.

When I read this I took it as satire, but then again it's published in The Nation, a publication not overly renowned for it's crack journalism and in depth reporting, so mastery of satire?

Maybe my initial reaction could have just been wishful thinking

No.

I do.

You didn't 'live thru' anything. All you did was read The Nation and believe it.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Just shows how little you know about anything really. Stay in your bubble, nice and safe for you there.

Edit: I don't read the nation. Can't stand the paper to be honest.

Edited by Bluespunk

No.

I do.

So did I. Let's see...... The ladies at Nana put on clothes for dancing and the Yaba market went off for a bit and business in general was great and I got 40 baht to dollar, he started a 30 baht health care scheme so my mother in law got free medical care and he was the first Thai PM to serve a full term and he built a new airport.

Encouraged a series of extra judicial murders that led to the deaths of thousands, many innocent.

Reignited the conflict in the south.

Edited by Bluespunk

There, that's all I can think of. And again, welcome to Thailand, where your peace of mind will be closely associated with your ability to detach yourself from its unique quest for peace.

As an American taxpayer (in theory anyway) if the U.S. ambassador's goal in taking this job is to preserve his personal "peace of mind" and "detachment" then I want my money back (in theory).

Encouraged a series of extra judicial murders that led to the deaths of thousands, many innocent.

I heard a lot of drug dealers died. The south was always a problem since Thailand took over the place.

Did any of the extra judicial killings or the south effect you? Because I only listed the things that effected me. And I don't see any of them being the business of the American ambassador except to convey America's wish that Thailand have an elected government?

America is a democracy (have elections most important part of democracy) and sees itself at war with totalitarian regimes all over the world.

I heard a lot of drug dealers died. The south was always a problem since Thailand took over the place.

Did any of the extra judicial killings or the south effect you? Because I only listed the things that effected me. And I don't see any of them being the business of the American ambassador except to convey America's wish that Thailand have an elected government?

America is a democracy (have elections most important part of democracy) and sees itself at war with totalitarian regimes all over the world.

The southern problem was no longer an insurgency and a system of representation had been reached that had all but ended violence. thaksin destroyed that for his own desire for power.

You need to read up on the extra judicial executions that took place if you think it was only drug dealers who were murdered. Even if someone was a drug dealer extra judicial killings are wrong. And always will be.

If you can live in a country where the authorities decide that murder and execution is acceptable to ensure certain numbers are reached in order to claim a successful campaign is being followed, then you really should reassess your thinking.

A state that kills just to meet quotas is something that affects everyone who lives in it.

It's always someone else until it's you.

It is every nations duty to condemn and pressure such states acting this way until they cease such arbitrary state sanctioned violence.

Edited by Bluespunk

The southern problem was no longer an insurgency and a system of representation had been reached that had all but ended violence. thaksin destroyed that for his own desire for power.

You need to read up on the extra judicial executions that took place if you think it was only drug dealers who were murdered. Even if someone was a drug dealer extra judicial killings are wrong. And always will be.

If you can live in a country where the authorities decide that murder and execution is acceptable to ensure certain numbers are reached in order to claim a successful campaign is being followed, then you really should reassess your thinking.

A state that kills just to meet quotas is something that affects everyone who lives in it.

It's always someone else until it's you.

It is every nations duty to condemn and pressure such states acting this way until they cease such arbitrary state sanctioned violence.

Did he threaten to kill news reporters? I fear we are going off topic. Should we stick to the previous regime and the ambassadors role relating to it or if you want to go back in time how far should we go? I find it difficult to talk to you though because you can say all you want about previous administrations and I can't mention the current one. Hardly seems a fair debate.

I have a point of view. The American ambassador should keep his mouth shut and take care of problems that arise between Thailand and American citizens.

I don't think he should be involved in previous administrations or the current administration that is Thailand business.

I remember when the Kittyhawk came to Thailand and volunteered to help. Thailand turned them down. I remember when they asked for some runway time or something for a NASA program and Thailand turned them down. That's two strikes. I'd forget about Thailand as an ally and take care of the Americans who are here and have problems.

If Thailand wants to jump on board the China boat so be it. The reporter guy said the same thing. He thinks China and the USA are the same and can be trusted the same. OK that's one point of view. He is nuts of course but that is his point of view. Let em try it.

So much I disagree with you here, almost everything really. But yes going off topic.

However I do think the OP was nothing but poorly written horse faeces. Like so much this individual pumps out.

Edited by Bluespunk

So much I disagree with you here, almost everything really. But yes going off topic.

However I do think the OP was nothing but poorly written horse faeces. Like so much this individual pumps out.

Well we agree on that. He is however worthwhile reading as many Thais feel the same way. I haven't stayed married as long as I have by voicing my political opinion at home or among Thai friends.

The role of the US Ambassador is to serve the interests of the US, and the citizens of the US in the host country.

From the US State Department, the first role of an Ambassador is:

"Speaking with one voice to others on U.S. policy--and ensuring mission staff do likewise--while providing to the President and Secretary of State expert guidance and frank counsel."

The writer of the OP is a numbskull.

Did he threaten to kill news reporters? I fear we are going off topic. Should we stick to the previous regime and the ambassadors role relating to it or if you want to go back in time how far should we go? I find it difficult to talk to you though because you can say all you want about previous administrations and I can't mention the current one. Hardly seems a fair debate.

I have a point of view. The American ambassador should keep his mouth shut and take care of problems that arise between Thailand and American citizens.

I don't think he should be involved in previous administrations or the current administration that is Thailand business.

I remember when the Kittyhawk came to Thailand and volunteered to help. Thailand turned them down. I remember when they asked for some runway time or something for a NASA program and Thailand turned them down. That's two strikes. I'd forget about Thailand as an ally and take care of the Americans who are here and have problems.

If Thailand wants to jump on board the China boat so be it. The reporter guy said the same thing. He thinks China and the USA are the same and can be trusted the same. OK that's one point of view. He is nuts of course but that is his point of view. Let em try it.

You are, I assume, American. You should know that many Europeans are deeply sceptical of US foreign policy and dislike US arrogance and assumptions of American exceptionalism - so yes, "let's all try it".

You are, I assume, American. You should know that many Europeans are deeply sceptical of US foreign policy and dislike US arrogance and assumptions of American exceptionalism - so yes, "let's all try it".

I agree with you 100%. The USA foots 73% of the bills for NATO and they don't even have a country in Europe. Time you guys stood on your own two feet. USA pull out of NATO tomorrow, I say. What do you think? Time to start paying for your own defense. Nothing to worry about from the Russians and Chinese anyway.

Although I must admit many Americans are deeply skeptical (to use your words) at Europe's ability to defend themselves.

What do you think? Willing to give up a few vacation days so America does not have to spend taxpayer money on a Europe who don't like them anyway.

Edited by lostoday

I agree with you 100%. The USA foots 73% of the bills for NATO and they don't even have a country in Europe. Time you guys stood on your own two feet. USA pull out of NATO tomorrow, I say. What do you think? Time to start paying for your own defense. Nothing to worry about from the Russians and Chinese anyway.

Although I must admit many Americans are deeply skeptical (to use your words) at Europe's ability to defend themselves.

What do you think? Willing to give up a few vacation days so America does not have to spend taxpayer money on a Europe who don't like them anyway.

Absolutely, if I had anything to do with it. That way you will have more money to dole out to your "real" allies like Saudi Arabia and Israel.

Edited by dru2

I am so so happy that this article was written today because I realized when i woke up that i was out of toilet paper.

Still using toilet paper in Thailand??

You have not adjusted well to life here my friend.

And a little advice....

Be sure to print this article out before taking it into the bathroom

If not, your screen will be a mess!cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif