motor scooter school Bangkok with BALANCE BEAM

SkyRider

I'm trying to get my Thai motorbike licence. I've passed all the tests so far, (including the written test, which is difficult because you have to get 45 out of 50 questions correct), but I failed the driving test, because I fell off the "balance beam". They don't allow you to practice, and they only give you one try at it. If you fall off the balance beam, you fail, and you have to come back again a few days later to try again. I feel that I really need to practice riding on that balance beam, or I will fall off it time and time again trying to do it on the test. I've heard there are driving schools that have a balance beam that you can practice on, but I've googled for it and can't find much for driving schools in Bangkok period.

Does anyone know of any motorbike schools in Bangkok that have balance beams for practice? Or any motorbike schools at all, so that I can contact them and ask if they have a balance beam.

• Like 2

Long time ago I took the bike test. I'm not a bike guy and had very little biking experience.

I did not have the confidence and was sure I would fail the balance test , so I just kept my eye on the front wheel and gave it some welly.

So my advice is to watch the front wheel stays on the beam, the back wheel will follow, and go quite fast. Don't pussyfoot just go for it. thumbsup.gif

The faster you go the more balance you have.

Good luck.

smile.png

I failed that part also. Luckily, the guy gave in and let me pass. I've been riding bikes all my life, but was on a rental Scoopy thing with a poorly fitting helmet. Ugh.

I'd recommend finding an empty road and try following the line on the side of the road. If you can do that for 50M, you're probably good to go!

I did it on an out of tune carby scooter, got to the infamous balance beam and cracked the throttle, the engine was surging and not smooth at all and i'm on the beam with legs kicked out the sides, wobbling about trying to stayed balanced. The front wheel dropped off about 1 meter short from the end into the weeds but i think they didn't see it and passed me.

That was after i turned a corner at about walking pace cracked the throttle..nothing. then powered me into the fence.. worst bike ever. Owner of the bike is a motorbike mechanic, fixes other bikes immaculately but own bike is a POS.

If your practicing, find some place where you have to stop and then ride 3-4 meters till you go onto the balance beam. Even try riding the edge of a gutter on the foot path after ascending from the road, just so you get the feeling of a suspension bump before the balanced ride.

I agree with other posts..don't look down though, look ahead and just ride. If you look down left or right to see the edge of the beam you will start to lose balance. Fix your eyes on a point on the far side of the beam and centred to the beam and just relax.

I remember when I first did figure 8s and it was messy.

I would like to see such "balance beam" used for bike license in Thailand. Somone here having a picture? I never had to do the test as i just converted my home country licenses.

Imagine a plank of 125cm by 125cm wood 5 metres long nailed to the floor..

• Like 1

its about a foot wide, about 40 foot long and 4 inches high.. concrete construction

born in a country with the metric system.. but talking in feet and inchesfacepalm.gif

They must be different sizes in different centres.. A foot is 12 inches. No way was the one at my local centre 12 inches wide

its about a foot wide, about 40 foot long and 4 inches high.. concrete construction

born in a country with the metric system.. but talking in feet and inchesfacepalm.gif

They must be different sizes in different centres.. A foot is 12 inches. No way was the one at my local centre 12 inches wide
This one was quite wide, but there's a video on YouTube some guy made of his gf getting her license in pattaya which looks narrower
  • Like 1

125cm you sure thats the right dimensions thats pretty wide, don't really see how you could fail that.

12.5 cm .... 5 inches.... I mistook mm for cm . my bad!

ah thats more like it ,yeah could see it being a little tricky for a new rider ,but as others have said keep your speed up and look towards the end of the beam where you want to go,never be looking right over the front wheel that will cause you all sorts of problems.

I am happy i was able to avoid these dangerous tests, guess i would have failed (fallen) too biggrin.png

I think it was easier to pass the test when this video was made. You were allowed to practice before taking the test. You were allowed to stop, put your feet down, and prepare to ride over the beam. You were also allowed more then one try at it, I think you were allowed three tries, now it's only one. (You also only had to get 25 out of 30 questions correct on the written test, now it's 45 out of 50.)

Now, after coming out of the winding cones from the left, you have to turn right (and use your turn signal), you can't put your feet down, and you have to keep riding for about 4 meters before going over the beam.

Having to switch the turn signal on and off before making the right turn and hitting the beam, adds to the difficulty of it. I couldn't see from where I was, but I'm wondering how many of the Thai people actually switched their turn signal on and off, and I'm wondering if I should not bother with it, hoping they don't notice, or if they do notice, still pass me if I don't use it.

• Like 1

I tried doing the riding center because you can do the 2 day course and get yr license.. But it was booked out for 2 months.

And I was just told that it's booked for 3 months. Seems to me, they should expand their operations, they are losing business, if people that are willing to pay money, have to wait so long to take the course.

• Like 1

just a bit of front break and a bit of throttle willkeep you straight. I was 66 and I passed it come on now.

I actually used a little bit of my back break, especially while side winding the cones before getting on beam. Then, before I looked straight ahead at the end of the beam, I looked at the front of the beam, just to get on it - once I was on it, I looked straight ahead to the end of the beam. let off of the break, and put a little bit of throttle into it, to help my balance.

• Like 1

just a bit of front break and a bit of throttle willkeep you straight. I was 66 and I passed it come on now.

I actually used a little bit of my back break, especially while side winding the cones before getting on beam. Then, before I looked straight ahead at the end of the beam, I looked at the front of the beam, just to get on it - once I was on it, I looked straight ahead to the end of the beam. let off of the break, and put a little bit of throttle into it, to help my balance.

You got it right. Back brake is needed for control and stability at slow speed. When riding in heavy city traffic and having to filter slowly, don't worry about keeping the back brake engaged whilst having the throttle slightly open. This allows you to better balance and bike and avoid having to put your foot down too often, even at a complete standstill for a second or so. Much like how track cyclists do it.

This thread is very interesting. Thank you.

I teach to British Motorcycle Test and Advanced Standard. Currently working with a friend to set up a motorcycle training school on Koh Samui.

We have included a slow riding element in the UK Motorcycle test as well. All above advice is good. But no mention of the rear brake.

Try using the rear brake to control your speed when riding slowly. Drag it against the force of the engine. You will find it has a stabilising effect.

I wrote an article on slow riding and the British test.

The basic art of slow riding control

I teach to British Motorcycle Test and Advanced Standard. Currently working with a friend to set up a motorcycle training school on Koh Samui.

We have included a slow riding element in the UK Motorcycle test as well. All above advice is good. But no mention of the rear brake.

Try using the rear brake to control your speed when riding slowly. Drag it against the force of the engine. You will find it has a stabilising effect.

With the new hondas a lot of them have combi brakes... When you apply the rear brake the front brake also engages. Which is ok if you are going straight but not good when turning.

Doesnt make it easy for novice drivers doing these tests.

Sent from my c64

With the new hondas a lot of them have combi brakes... When you apply the rear brake the front brake also engages. Which is ok if you are going straight but not good when turning.

Doesnt make it easy for novice drivers doing these tests.

Sent from my c64

Using the rear brake for slow riding control is a recognised standard. Honda know this and it is incorporated into the system.

• Like 1