Thaivisa forum attitude

Dieselnoi

I know this post will either deleted or removed shortly…but after observing the forum this is the attitude of many people on here. For example:

Thais did something bad - Oh Thais are disgusting!
Thais did something good - Wow, why can't they think of that a long time ago- so stupid of them.
Foreigners did something bad and on Thai news - Shut up Thais, go worry about your own problems.

I have read a lot of Thaivisa News Forum and it seems it really doesn't matter what the Thais do, somehow they're in the wrong and get the criticsm- really (approximately) only 5% of the comments are actually encouraging, praises, or positive to the Thais.

I am just amazed at these things that I have observed. I guarantee when you open a news forum the first comment will either be

1. Complaint about the Thais
2. Cynism comment about the Thais
3. Sarcastic comment about the Thais

These are just things that I have observed.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this post will either deleted or removed shortly…but after observing the forum this is the attitude of many people on here. For example:

Thais did something good - Wow, why can't they think of that a long time ago- so stupid of them.

Foreigners did something bad and on Thai news - Shut up Thais, go worry about your own problems.

I have read a lot of Thaivisa News Forum and it seems it really doesn't matter what the Thais do, somehow they're in the wrong and get the criticsm- really (approximately) only 5% of the comments are actually encouraging, praises, or positive to the Thais.

I am just amazed at these things that I have observed. I guarantee when you open a news forum the first comment will either be

Besides the "Thais are always bad" types of comments, which is indeed the disturbing norm here, you may also notice that farang' critical comments directed at other (thaivisa forum) (criticizable) farangs are not especially well received.

It seems that if 1) You like Thailand and Thais, and 2) you are a "normal" farang (one who is not grumpy, negative, depressed, unhappy...), then you don't really fit here...

On my side, I happily stick around this forum (probably upsetting the nerves of some negative posters in some of my favorite threads).

Keep happy :)

Edited by gerry1011

Have to agree with most of that.

Many of the farangs who post on these forums sound like they are being held here against their will.

Many are not even actually living in Thailand...

You got that right Gerry, it's a minority of ThaiVisa members who actually live here.

This is all psychological.

1. You live in Thailand (willingly) and enjoy your stay.

2. Along comes a bad day where you encounter Thai's behaving badly.

3. You browse TFV daily

On good days you don't feel like posting anything about your day because it's boring. But if you've just had a bad experience, you come running to TVF telling us what happened, warn us and relieve your frustration at the same time. This leaves the false impression that expats are always being treated as you described.

In short: There is more good than bad, but people don't talk about the good, instead they talk about the occasional bad.

3. You browse TFV daily

On good days you don't feel like posting anything about your day because it's boring. But if you've just had a bad experience, you come running to TVF telling us what happened, warn us and relieve your frustration at the same time. This leaves the false impression that expats are always being treated as you described.

In short: There is more good than bad, but people don't talk about the good, instead they talk about the occasional bad.

So it are actually the Thaier than Thai members who are coursing the forum to find a negative post, and give us all a bad name.

3. You browse TFV daily

If you don't mind, I will not include myself in your "you".

I don't remember having ever written anything wrong about Thais because I had a bad day or frustrating experience... (I do criticize grumpy negative farangs who constantly do though).

Some farangs are more positive, some more negative, but what I personally see on this forum is a concentration of the most depressed, grumpy and highly negative farangs. This cannot be psychological, in my opinion.

To come back to your point "2.", I find many more farangs behaving badly in Thailand than Thais... but I guess that farangs consider that they are not criticizable (at least on this forum).

3. You browse TFV daily

I don't remember having ever written anything wrong about Thais because I had a bad day or frustrating experience... (I do criticize grumpy negative farangs who constantly do though).

Some farangs are more positive, some more negative, but what I personally see on this forum is a concentration of the most depressed, grumpy and highly negative farangs. This cannot be psychological, in my opinion.

To come back to your point "2.", I find many more farangs behaving badly in Thailand than Thais... but I guess that farangs consider that they are not criticizable (at least on this forum).

I think you are mixing with too many Farangs and not enough Thais.

3. You browse TFV daily

I think you are mixing with too many Farangs and not enough Thais.

No, you are thinking wrong.

Positive or negative it really don't matter to me as long as it is true. I hate liars or people who make up stories to support an agenda.

I call a spade a spade and let the chips fall where they may.

Agree or disagree it is up to the individual.

Positive or negative it really don't matter to me as long as it is true. I hate liars or people who make up stories to support an agenda.

I call a spade a spade and let the chips fall where they may.

Agree or disagree it is up to the individual.

Of course, but the problem is sometimes people call a spade before the card is even finished- it might well be a club or a heart but they already call a spade on it. There's a difference there you know.

Besides the "Thais are always bad" types of comments, which is indeed the disturbing norm here, you may also notice that farang' critical comments directed at other (thaivisa forum) (criticizable) farangs are not especially well received.

It seems that if 1) You like Thailand and Thais, and 2) you are a "normal" farang (one who is not grumpy, negative, depressed, unhappy...), then you don't really fit here...

On my side, I happily stick around this forum (probably upsetting the nerves of some negative posters in some of my favorite threads).

Keep happy smile.png

Gerry, your second paragraph is not true. I am not grumpy, can be negative or positive depending on how I see things, definitely not depressed, and most definitely not unhappy.

Thaivisa is not only just for posters giving opinions etc, what about all the help we can ask and always get from posters and from mods, ie UbonJoe, Sheryl, for visa and medical advice, and CharlieH who adds a lot of help on different threads?

3. You browse TFV daily

So it are actually the Thaier than Thai members who are coursing the forum to find a negative post, and give us all a bad name.

I do not think any of the Thai persons with whom I have regular contact -- English speaking or not -- have even the slightest idea that ThaiVisa.com exists.

Many of the farangs who post on these forums sound like they are being held here against their will.

Any post written by a white person who refers to other white people (or themselves) as 'farang' is automatically placed on the racist/bigot/nutjob/apologist refuse pile.

While I enjoy living here, with a woman half my age, I don't feel the need to praise or condemn any action or topic on a racist or nationalist level.

Keep happy smile.png

Gerry, your second paragraph is not true. I am not grumpy, can be negative or positive depending on how I see things, definitely not depressed, and most definitely not unhappy.

Thaivisa is not only just for posters giving opinions etc, what about all the help we can ask and always get from posters and from mods, ie UbonJoe, Sheryl, for visa and medical advice, and CharlieH who adds a lot of help on different threads?

I do agree that some posters on here help lift the level a bit with their positive or interesting posts.

Unfortunately, the negative ones have it far easier to destroy the atmosphere with their mostly useless comments than those who come up with positive ones.

I don't think that anyone could say that thaivisa spreads joy and happiness around. Far from it. It's seriously depressing. Even if this forum contains valuable information.

The trend on here is more to criticize whatever whenever however...

I am happy if you are definitely not unhappy.

But, I have a tendency to think that most posters on this forum are seriously unhappy.

Even so, why should I care ;)

3. You browse TFV daily

I do not think any of the Thai persons with whom I have regular contact -- English speaking or not -- have even the slightest idea that ThaiVisa.com exists.

Do you understand the meaning of the phrase " Thaier than Thai"?

+1...Many here write as if their home country is so perfect. Most of the same problems are found everywhere.

Coudn't have put it better myself........ones that amuse me the most are the Posters who show abhorrence to Pattaya and Patong. Realty is that they love it just a much as the next guy, but wouldn't dare admit to it....

We assume everyone who comments on TV live here, but clearly, many people who comment do not live here. Maybe they came as a tourist and had a bad experience or used to live here and had a bad experience and some I am certain are trolls. To be sure, Thais do some very bad things to foreigners but many foreigners behave here in ways unacceptable in their home country which reflects badly on those of us who live a normal life (by western standards) in Thailand.

I suspect most of the ones who do live here and are overly negative come from the lower educated demographic in their own countries, trailer trash, bottom of the dung heap type persons if you will, they move to Thailand and believe they are superior to the natives and think they are a Bwana among the natives, and when you put a group of these self proclaimed Bwana's together in one place eg. TV for example this is why the p*ssing matches and on man up man ship starts trying to prove to each other that they are superior to other farangs in Thailand.

As an audio/visual example of what I am talking about, this illustrates the point perfectly " the only gay in the village" syndrome from Little Britain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrlzaBNgz-M

OP, don't forget that expats in Thailand are 2nd class citizens and Thai officials as well as some Thai citizens make sure that we get frequent reminders of that. These reminders come in many shapes, mostly in form of crackdowns on part-foreign-owned businesses, ever tightening work and visa regulations, etc... so it is no wonder when people get disillusioned and grumpy after some time here, fighting against windmills...

On the other hand, one experiences a lot of freedom in other areas here and Thailand in general is a much more better place to live than Europe, for example. I have many Thai friends, many of them are very talented musicians, artists, architects, foremans, electricians, designers, etc. and I could not be where I am today without them.

Speaking for myself, I have it all in balance and appreciate that I am allowed to live here instead of my home country, but still am not immune of frustration when I see on a daily basis how certain things here are handled and how anti-foreign some of their actions are. Please don't make the same mistake many posters do and get caught up in generalizations.

This all said - if you are searching for a forum where everybody pretents (this - by the way - is something the majority of Thai people are good at: pretending) that all is cool, Thais are the greatest people on earth and should not be told what to do, letting alone being criticized... Then this forum is not for you, sorry!

Edited by catweazle

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Keep happy smile.png

I dont see anything that is really bad here in Thailand and I have lived here for 30 years. If people want to continuously complain about everything and many on TV do, then we should feel sorry for them. If they hate Thailand so much and dont leave obviously everywhere else is even worse.

Of course Thailand has issues that need to be addressed but so does every other country.

I enjoy living here and would not want to change. So all you moaners have a go at that