Kan Air Chiang Mai to Pattaya service - CANCELLED

LannaGuy

2 years ago i posted about kan air advertising flights Chiang mai Khonkaen then cancelling.

My post was locked, and i was told by admin i was lucky i was not suspended.

Now another poster saying the same thing post not blocked.

Why different rules for different people?????

oh whoops... maybe they are a sponsor and I didn't know

I was just wanting others to re-check their flights rather than have the stress and hassle I had - mods can remove the posts if they wish if I accidentally broke any rules

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 years ago i posted about kan air advertising flights Chiang mai Khonkaen then cancelling.

I was just wanting others to re-check their flights rather than have the stress and hassle I had - mods can remove the posts if they wish if I accidentally broke any rules

Come on.

You arrived at the airport to find you flight cancelled do to tech issues.

The airline offered you an alternative to reach your destination yet you shunned the offer and came here to rant instead.

get a grip, sometimes flights do not go according to plans.

Come on.

The airline offered you an alternative to reach your destination yet you shunned the offer and came here to rant instead.

no you 'come on' I have flown zillions and 100s flights in my career and only ever had two flights cancelled and this is one of them

and I have made it CLEAR that my problem is they did not contact me - get it now?

Come on.

no you 'come on' I have flown zillions and 100s flights in my career and only ever had two flights cancelled and this is one of them

and I have made it CLEAR that my problem is they did not contact me - get it now?

so as your " Far Q" to them you shunned their alternative and came and ranted here how it cost you 4000b......

hey it is your nose, you can cut it off anyway you like !!!

Edited by Don Mega

so as your " Far Q" to them you shunned their alternative and came and ranted here how it cost you 4000b......

hey it is your nose, you can cut it off anyway you like !!!

go read again and get off my back you self-righteous *****

Unless the route and traffic conditions have changed substantially in the past month, I think the estimate of 7 hours lost time is closer in reality to perhaps 4.5 hours. But I agree, 7 hours does make the tale sound more dramatic.

Unless the route and traffic conditions have changed substantially in the past month, I think the estimate of 7 hours lost time is closer in reality to perhaps 4.5 hours. But I agree, 7 hours does make the tale sound more dramatic.

maybe not.

I landed at DMK about a month ago and the taxi to Pattaya took 8 hours so I can see 4 hrs to swampy given the time of day.

3 hours return from pattaya to U-tapoa though...... hmmmm.

Edited by Don Mega

Come on.

Zillions AND hundreds. Well then you know more than me then 5555

last time I go through this as i assume you did not read carefully

yesterday was raining

it took 1.5 hours to get to U-Tapao the road was flooded

then turn round and return to Pattaya same = 1.5

then it took about 4 hours to get to the airport (BIG hold-ups where they are building the bridge AND rain was appalling which slowed us down)

No rain maybe could shave off 2 hours?

Lesson? use Swampy because many alternatives if something goes wrong and phone airline because cannot rely on them contacting YOU if there is a cancellation (they had my number and email)

cheers!

wow.... I live very close to the road works on suk road...

we did not get much rain here... must have been isolated.

really? it rained most of the way from Pattaya to Swampy

anyway a 'bad luck' day and I'll be giving U-Tapao a miss as there are no alternatives if something goes wrong

One of the worst for doing this is Firefly , MAS budget line , fly the domestic routes in Malaysia. They just cancel a flight and put you on the one behind it without even telling you at check in , they always blame "Technical issues" but then the next flight is half empty with 2 flights passengers on board so the scheming tossers are just cancelling empty flight

damn.

roads flooded from Pattaya to U-Tapoa (and return) then raining most of the way to swampy.

yep that is defo a bad luck day.

ha ha wish I'd taken a photo... there was a burst main and many cars were turning back wai.gif

Sounds like bad luck although I would have insisted on being put on a flight to DMK or BKK, there are enough flights from CNX and got a bus from there.

This won't help but I had a great flight on Kan Air.

Worlds Cheapest Bizjet Flight:

hi, they offered a van to Don Muang (when Suvarnupom was much nearer)

I'm convinced lack of passengers (there were around 5) was the reason for cancelling

my BITTEREST complaint is they did not phone, SMS or email

left Pattaya 1pm arrived Chiang Mai 9pm via Suvarnapom

Just letting TVF posters know that Kan Air cannot be trusted to alert if they decide to cancel a flight

I think you are being particularly harsh and unreasonable calling them Cowboys.

I think they did everything in their power to compensate you.

As long as I get there and I'm not worse off financially I wouldn't complain.

How exactly are you 4000 worse off?

He's 4000 baht worse off because he thought Don Muang is "MUCH" further than Suvarnabhumi, even though the airline arranged a van straight there, plus booked a flight. He lost money because of the brilliant decision to get the 990 Baht refunded, pay for a taxi to Suvarnabhumi out of is own pocket (which is "MUCH" closer after all rolleyes.gif ) which for some reason ended up taking 5.5 hours. And then he had to pay for a ticket from Suvarnabhumi.

Meanwhile in the real world, Utapao -> BKK is 1 hour 48 minutes, and Utapao -> DMK is 2 hours 22 minutes. So "MUCH further" here is.. 34 minutes. (According to Google Maps)

But even if it was a whole hour further then it wouldn't matter much as there would have been a flight already booked and ready for 7pm.

But no.. Refund! - Refund! - Refund! And hassle getting a taxi, 5.5 hours (somehow) to Suvarnabhumi, then finding a flight.. Assuming he was at Utapao about 1:30pm for the 3pm flight and spent an hour arguing and getting a refund, then 2:30pm + 5.5 hours is 8pm arrival at Suvarnabhumi. So he actually walked into Suvarnabhumi when the alternative flight that Kan Air booked for him was already on the ground at CNX. smile.png

Classic. rolleyes.gif

I think I'll try Kan air one of these days. Looks like a neat airplane to fly in.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

My flight only had 5 passengers. The Premier jet has 6 seats but one seat was taken by a Kan Air staff. Your plane may well have gone tech and Kan Air are being completely honest?

I assumed that because this flight from Pattaya to CNX takes two hours that they would use the single engine Cessna Grand Caravan for this route which I see take off occasionally from Chiang Mai airport.

I have seen reference to their being only 9 seats on this journey and their website makes no mention of any other kind of plane of this size other than the business jet which as you say only has 6 seats.

http://www.kanairlines.com/web/our-fleet/

I took Kan Air Don Muang to U-tapao purely to fly on the bizjet. Normally you have to spend a small fortune to fly on one of these type of aircraft. 990 baht was a bargain. This 6 seater Premier Jet is only on the route for a short time before the 72 seat( or thereabouts) ATR 72 takes over. My understanding is all the flights to and from UTP like Ubon, Chiang Mai, Khon kaen etc will be on the ATR. When i landed at UTP there was a Kan Air ATR 72 waiting on the apron.

I doubt the Cessna Caravan will do any UTP flights as it does Chiang Mai to Pai, Mae Hong Son, Phrae, Pitsanulok, Chiang Rai, Nan and is busy all day long.

I only wanted to fly on the Premier jet so within 15 mins of landing at UTP the airport staff phoned a motorcycle taxi to come and take me to nearby Ban Phlu Ta Luang, 80 baht . I waited about 30 mins for a 160 baht minibus that took me to Lat Krabang Airport Express station( about 1 mile from BKK airport). That journey took about 2 hours.

My flight only had 5 passengers. The Premier jet has 6 seats but one seat was taken by a Kan Air staff. Your plane may well have gone tech and Kan Air are being completely honest?

I assumed that because this flight from Pattaya to CNX takes two hours that they would use the single engine Cessna Grand Caravan for this route which I see take off occasionally from Chiang Mai airport.

I have seen reference to their being only 9 seats on this journey and their website makes no mention of any other kind of plane of this size other than the business jet which as you say only has 6 seats.

http://www.kanairlines.com/web/our-fleet/

I took Kan Air Don Muang to U-tapao purely to fly on the bizjet. Normally you have to spend a small fortune to fly on one of these type of aircraft. 990 baht was a bargain. This 6 seater Premier Jet is only on the route for a short time before the 72 seat( or thereabouts) ATR 72 takes over. My understanding is all the flights to and from UTP like Ubon, Chiang Mai, Khon kaen etc will be on the ATR. When i landed at UTP there was a Kan Air ATR 72 waiting on the apron.

I doubt the Cessna Caravan will do any UTP flights as it does Chiang Mai to Pai, Mae Hong Son, Phrae, Pitsanulok, Chiang Rai, Nan and is busy all day long.

I only wanted to fly on the Premier jet so within 15 mins of landing at UTP the airport staff phoned a motorcycle taxi to come and take me to nearby Ban Phlu Ta Luang, 80 baht . I waited about 30 mins for a 160 baht minibus that took me to Lat Krabang Airport Express station( about 1 mile from BKK airport). That journey took about 2 hours.

That’s interesting.

Do you really think it will be the ATR 72? But that can carry 74 passengers? blink.png Would they be able to fill even half a plane of that size? I would be very surprised if that’s what they are running. And surely it wouldn’t take 2 hours to fly from Pattaya to Chiang Mai in a twin-engine turboprop?

I might be pleasantly surprised I don’t know and it really doesn’t bother me which aircraft they use but as I used to hold a private licence and having learnt in a Cessna 152 and later flown a Cessna 182 it would have just been a good experience to fly in the Grand Caravan which is like the grand daddy of the seriestongue.png

I am only guessing really. The DMK to UTP flight is supposed to be daily but when i booked the website would only show it on saturday. A caravan may operate CNX to UTP but they might need to buy a second one. I know they got their second ATR about a month ago for theUTP expansion. On the other thread on the thailand travel forum "worlds cheapest bizjet flight" someone posted a screenshot of UTP arrivals and it showed the UTP DMK flight was operated by a Caravan but that caravan would have been up north somewhere? Maybe they have two? When i booked my UTP flight the bangkok staff on the phone said it was a Premier Jet so i went to purchase at Chiang Mai airport ticket desk which is close by for me and the staff there said it was an ATR flight? There is a lot of fuzzy info with Kan Air at the moment but once the UTP operations start fully it should become clearer. Thats assuming they can make the UTP flights work? Jetstar had a flight to Singapore a few years back but they pulled out after only one or two weeks of service - not enough demand.

I'm interested to know if it was raining when the KanAir flight was due to take off?

Not too long ago, my wife's 45 minute return flight by KanAir from Nan to CNX was pre-emptorily cancelled "because of heavy rain" on the runway in Nan. She (not knowing any better) accepted the offer of a 6 hour trip by van to CNX. She was uncomfortable at being the only woman in a van with 7 men and embarrassingly (for her), had to tell the driver to his annoyance, that she needed a "rest stop" (twice). Additionally, on more thanone occasion both she and the other passengers had to tell the driver to please drive a little slower. The journey took just over 6 hours, at the end of which she was completely exhausted. BUT KanAir did give her a compensatory one-way ticket (either to Nan from CNX or vice-versa) which had to be used within a month. Unfortunately we couldn't use it within the time period and couldn't transfer it to anyone else.

NB: Of course, the rain in Nan stopped after an hour or so and the KanAir aircraft made its way to CNX without any passengers on board. (I know this because, while waiting for my wife I strolled to the KanAir desk and asked if the aircraft I could see was the flight from Nan). When she said it was, I asked why they just didn't put the flight "on hold" at Nan and then complete the 45 minute flight to CNX when the rain stopped? She just looked at me and shrugged and went back to adjusting her hair....

Mai b'pen rai!

I'm interested to know if it was raining when the KanAir flight was due to take off?

Not too long ago, my wife's 45 minute return flight by KanAir from Nan to CNX was pre-emptorily cancelled "because of heavy rain" on the runway in Nan. She (not knowing any better) accepted the offer of a 6 hour trip by van to CNX. She was uncomfortable at being the only woman in a van with 7 men and embarrassingly (for her), had to tell the driver to his annoyance, that she needed a "rest stop" (twice). Additionally, on more thanone occasion both she and the other passengers had to tell the driver to please drive a little slower. The journey took just over 6 hours, at the end of which she was completely exhausted. BUT KanAir did give her a compensatory one-way ticket (either to Nan from CNX or vice-versa) which had to be used within a month. Unfortunately we couldn't use it within the time period and couldn't transfer it to anyone else.

NB: Of course, the rain in Nan stopped after an hour or so and the KanAir aircraft made its way to CNX without any passengers on board. (I know this because, while waiting for my wife I strolled to the KanAir desk and asked if the aircraft I could see was the flight from Nan). When she said it was, I asked why they just didn't put the flight "on hold" at Nan and then complete the 45 minute flight to CNX when the rain stopped? She just looked at me and shrugged and went back to adjusting her hair....

Mai b'pen rai!

You have to be joking!laugh.png

I would never accept a trip in a van as a substitute because I regard their driving as kamikaze style.bah.gif

I would also like to know why they didn’t put your wife’s flight on hold? It doesn’t make sense to do that if they had to go anyway eventually and I have never heard an airline having to adjust their just because you’re a bit of rain?blink.png

Edited by Asiantravel

I am only guessing really. The DMK to UTP flight is supposed to be daily but when i booked the website would only show it on saturday. A caravan may operate CNX to UTP but they might need to buy a second one. I know they got their second ATR about a month ago for theUTP expansion. On the other thread on the thailand travel forum "worlds cheapest bizjet flight" someone posted a screenshot of UTP arrivals and it showed the UTP DMK flight was operated by a Caravan but that caravan would have been up north somewhere? Maybe they have two? When i booked my UTP flight the bangkok staff on the phone said it was a Premier Jet so i went to purchase at Chiang Mai airport ticket desk which is close by for me and the staff there said it was an ATR flight? There is a lot of fuzzy info with Kan Air at the moment but once the UTP operations start fully it should become clearer. Thats assuming they can make the UTP flights work? Jetstar had a flight to Singapore a few years back but they pulled out after only one or two weeks of service - not enough demand.

" Thats assuming they can make the UTP flights work?"

We shall seeermm.gif

I have been happy with travelling by NCA gold class buses up to now but I thought I would just give Kan a try because there is hardly any difference in the ticket price.

I'd use it to get to Pattaya, however a big part would be the cost and ease of getting from Utapao to downtown Patters. From BKK using the Bell Travel bus (or the Jomtien bus) that's about an hour and a half and 250 baht.

From Utapao it's about one hour.

So that's not a world of difference. If an airline flying into Utapao included a bus/van transfer to Pattaya then I'd consider it.

I'd use it to get to Pattaya, however a big part would be the cost and ease of getting from Utapao to downtown Patters. From BKK using the Bell Travel bus (or the Jomtien bus) that's about an hour and a half and 250 baht.

So that's not a world of difference. If an airline flying into Utapao included a bus/van transfer to Pattaya then I'd consider it.

Ah but they do and it's freew00t.gif

Voilà

post-149848-0-27363600-1430183690_thumb.

Edited by Asiantravel

One of the worst for doing this is Firefly , MAS budget line , fly the domestic routes in Malaysia. They just cancel a flight and put you on the one behind it without even telling you at check in , they always blame "Technical issues" but then the next flight is half empty with 2 flights passengers on board so the scheming tossers are just cancelling empty flight

This is true in some situations but airlines dont usually cancel flights for low loads on a particular sector. Reason being it puts aircraft and crews out of position for subsequent duties and wreaks havoc on the operation.

Voilà

Excellent! And not all that difficult to get to I guess. (Not quite as convenient as Soi 6 would be, but doable. ;) )

Voilà

Excellent! And not all that difficult to get to I guess. (Not quite as convenient as Soi 6 would be, but doable. wink.png )

Depending where you are coming from to get to their office if you don't want to use a motorbike taxi you can just make your way to anywhere on Sukhumvit Road and flag down a WHITE coloured songtheaw (as opposed to the more familiar dark blue ones) which travel up and down Sukhumvit and will go right past the Ford dealership. When you get off there you just need to cross the road.smile.png

Edited by Asiantravel

They offered you an alternative routing and you refused it?

I'm not entirely surprised by the flight going tech at short notice. They probably discovered something during the pre-flight checks.

I'd rather have an alternative than fly on a dodgy aircraft.

Out of interest, did they offer to book you to CNX via DMK?

yes but NO sms? no email? no phone call? anyway there were only 5 people so, call me a cynic, but it was possibly a financial decision

yes they offered a van to DMK and a flight leaving at 21.00 (flight from U-Tapao due to leave 15.00)

we decided to get a taxi to Suvarnupom and save the extra hours

My main motivation posting is to ALERT you all that Kan Air do not let you know if they cancel a flight - and THAT is appalling

My, you are an angry man aren't you? There really is no need for the unpleasantness you've displayed in this thread.

Chicog is right; they may very well have found a fault too late to send out emails and text messages to be of use - this has happened to me. Already at the airport and looking at the board for check in desk number and 'Check in at counter...' changed to 'Cancelled' as I was standing in front of it. Not much point sending anything to me as common sense will tell the staff that everyone would have already been at or very close to the airport. This was with a full price, full service flight with Qantas from Heathrow.

Your hours must be very important to you to have provoked such an outburst. Perhaps you should reconsider your flying choices, as when hours are so important, you really ought not use budget or low cost carriers.

You have absolutely no proof that there was no mechanical reason for the cancellation - the alternative to cancellation could have been death - or perhaps the pilot was suddenly stricken with something which made him or her unable to fly safely. Kan Air will not have dozens of other pilots on the payroll to call on in the case of an emergency, which may have been explained away by the desk staff as technical rather than them having to say 'The pilot has got diarrhoea'. You were offered an alternative; the only alternative that they had. In London I was offered an alternative flight an hour or so later going to Melbourne via Sydney, one via Brisbane 4 hours later or the next direct flight which was 12 hours later. Qantas can do that because they have lots of planes and lots of flights out of Heathrow. Budget airlines don't have that option, especially budget airlines that only have a couple of planes available to them such as Kan Air. You were offered the best that they had, so you can't complain about that, and as for no notification - you don't know for a definite fact that they knew in advance that they were going to cancel the flight, so they followed industry standards on last minute cancellation that I have experienced once and seen several times. If you have flown 'zillions' of flights and have never had one cancelled on you before, you are a very lucky man. I admit that I have flown very extensively but I have been booked onto cancelled flights at least a couple of dozen times with both full service and low cost airlines, although only once one which was cancelled as I looked at the board in the departures area (2 others after I'd already checked in, by the way). It happens.

As I stated earlier, because your time is so important to you and you can't afford a 6 hour delay, you really need to avoid the low cost and smaller carriers at all costs and stick to those airlines with the capacity to accommodate you in case of cancellation or delay pertaining to your flight.