Freedom to marry - British Embassy now requires appointment

fbf

In January I researched my trip to Bangkok to prepare paperwork for my upcoming wedding in Thailand.

It was mentioned in this topic that no appointment is necessary. I am sure that was correct at the time (January 2015), as I kept a copy of the marriage guidance document linked from this page:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/information-for-british-nationals-intending-to-marry-in-thailand

The document at the time was dated March 2014 and explicitly stated "no appointment is necessary". The document now available is dated February 2015 and says an appointment is necessary, linking to this page:

https://www.gov.uk/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand

Another thing that appears to be new, mentioned on the page above, is the need to bring proof of address as well as identity.

For all appointments for notarial services you will need to bring acceptable proof of your identity and address.

We accept passports or national identity cards as proof of identity.
We accept driver’s licence, utility bills, postal mail showing your name and local address or house registration as proof of your address.

Just my luck, I had an exceptionally busy two weeks prior to departing the UK so didn't get around to checking/updating all the facts. So I find myself in Bangkok on Monday having to wait for a Thursday appointment (earliest available). Ah well, not complaining. But it does raise a couple of questions, in case anyone's been in this situation since February:

1. How strict are they on the proof of address? As I didn't think to bring anything (obviously I couldn't have got here without my passport), save for a travel insurance policy letter dated November 2014. As I'm not confident in them accepting that, I've managed to get my neighbour to FedEx some better/up-to-date documents over to hopefully arrive on Wednesday.

2. I have an 8.15am appointment. How likely am I to get the documentation issued and translated, and authorised by the Thai Ministry of Foreign affairs on the same day (Thursday)? As Friday is a public holiday this week and my flight back is on Sunday.

Luckily I booked this trip instead of doing everything the week before the wedding in June, in case things like this go wrong. So I hope this update is useful (couldn't find another topic), and has anyone experience of this since February?

Lucky you got a heads up in time!

I did this last year before these new rulings so I can only help on one issue.

Your chances of getting the documentation done in one day are good. The Ministry of Foreign affairs is just a short ride away by Sky Train and then Metro. (The consular staff will give you directions) There you will find a number of brokers outside who will get the translation and legalization process done for you whilst you wait with cool drink in hand,

Good luck and best wishes for your upcoming marriage.

• Like 1

Well, look at it this way all bureaunazis in all English speaking nations (and some non-English) are placing more restrictions and burdens upon their citizenry to make their own lives easier. They only asked for proof of residence which is fairly anal since you are on the other side of the planet and may have a new abode however, they haven't gotten around to you passing over your genetic material yet as proof of existence. There is always that.

The U.S. Embassy in Bangkok has been a visit by appointment only for some time now. I must say it does make it easier, There is different times for different needs. I find it very efficient, and of course if the U.S. has an appointment system the UK will do the same as their YANK Brothers. Sorta monkey see monkey do !!!!

Once you have the affidavit from the brit emb, stroll over the road and find a guy who will translate and for a bigger fee, do all that is necessary for you to be married that day.

3 years ago, we saw the emb and got the affidavit, found the guy, parted with 20,000b, went to lunch.

(Make sure that the chap who takes you to the town hall is told to take one original certificate and the written page back to the translator who will translate it to English and get it stamped by the Thai min of foreign affairs AND that this is included in the 20 grand fee!) You will need the English translation in the UK later and the guy should post the original and translated work to an address you specify.

We'd just finished lunch and a chap turned up to take us to the town hall.

No waiting (though there was a queue).

The guy acted as a witness and translator.

Job done.

Note that you will be asked if you want to declare any property as only yours before the wedding.

Finally, whilst you're there get your wife to make a couple of two sided copies of the certificate and have them stamp it as a true copy.

Tell them it's for the embassy.

My wife needed that for a EEA family member visa to Spain and because we didn't know to get it on the day, it cost us another trip on another day.

Best wishes by the way.

I have to go through the same process soon. The embassy's web site tells you what they will accept as proof of address - https://www.gov.uk/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand

What I find annoying about the appointment system is that appointments are only available between 8.00 am and 10.30 pm..

About the address requirements, it looks like they are quite flexible:

"We accept driver’s licence, utility bills, postal mail showing your name and local address or house registration as proof of your address."

However, my experience of proof of address address documentation in the UK is that the norm is to require it to be dated within the last 3 months. Maybe they're more lax and would accept the travel insurance document in my hand luggage from November 2014 (after all, it's "postal mail showing your name and local address" and it's not like it's 10 years old).
So now I have a bank statement and phone bill on their way, should be with me for 3pm Wednesday ahead of Thursday's appointment. I figured a £70 FedEx bill not needed is better than a wasted appointment and another £500 return flight to Bangkok.
About the appointment time, it could be annoying if that's your only paperwork thing that day, but as others in here seem to think the MFA trip is possible in the same day, I don't mind the early start.

Your chances of getting the documentation done in one day are good. The Ministry of Foreign affairs is just a short ride away by Sky Train and then Metro. (The consular staff will give you directions) There you will find a number of brokers outside who will get the translation and legalization process done for you whilst you wait with cool drink in hand,

Thanks, and thanks to you and others for the advice.

I probably won't spend 20,000 Baht (mentioned elsewhere) on getting the paperwork done though. I have a 4G SIM and I've seen the main sights in Bangkok already. wink.png Obviously need to pay for a translation though, so I'll see what's on offer.

For the marriage itself, someone from the Amphur's office will attend the wedding. This is what prompted an early paperwork trip in fact, because unlike the Bangkok Amphurs, the Chonburi one wants to check the paperwork with the British Embassy directly, so we needed to allow time for that. I figured it's worth doing to get the marriage ceremony and legal marriage combined, and also any "stress" with paperwork is a lot less stressful knowing there are 2 months to go...

Edited by fbf

I probably won't spend 20,000 Baht (mentioned elsewhere) on getting the paperwork done though. I have a 4G SIM and I've seen the main sights in Bangkok already. wink.png Obviously need to pay for a translation though, so I'll see what's on offer.

For the marriage itself, someone from the Amphur's office will attend the wedding. This is what prompted an early paperwork trip in fact, because unlike the Bangkok Amphurs, the Chonburi one wants to check the paperwork with the British Embassy directly, so we needed to allow time for that. I figured it's worth doing to get the marriage ceremony and legal marriage combined, and also any "stress" with paperwork is a lot less stressful knowing there are 2 months to go...

No, don't panic fbf! The 20,000 BHT is for the full service, including a same day marriage. (Actually I only paid 8,000 but I didn't like to rub it in wink.png)

I saw from your O/P that you not planning for that, so all you will need is a translation and legalization. Sure you can probably do it yourself if you know the contacts. The contact you need of course is a translator. I think you can probably work out for yourself how that progresses smile.png I can't give you a definitive price for that service of course as I didn't use it in isolation, but I do seem to recall the sum of 4 or 500 THB was discussed between my (now) wife and the translator.

As luck would have it, my wife has just shown up and she tells me the sum the translator asked for was 2,000 THB, 400 for the translation and the rest for doing the 'donkey work' at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Good luck and have a safe journey.

Edited by Moonlover

^ 20,000 baht?!

Anyway, I am not at all sure if there are any agents 'over the road' anymore. Loads of high-rise/rent properties though.

Yeah, there are some wealthy and lazy people out there.

I did this a few years ago, you can get transactions done at Wave Place, depending how long they keep you at the embassy ( which shouldn't be long, it seemed like a self declaration ) then you may just time it right, but its going to be tight, find out exactly where you are going in Chaeng Wattana before you set off, I recall it being a pyramid type building on the main road.

When you get to the building at CW there will be hundreds upon hundreds of Thais getting documents verified. I can't remember exactly what happened but we missed the cutoff time. If you push them hard enough there is an unofficial fast track system, tell them you need to pick up the documents by 4.00 PM as you have a flight back to Nakhon Nowhere in the evening. They may pity you.

• Like 1

^ 20,000 baht?!

Anyway, I am not at all sure if there are any agents 'over the road' anymore. Loads of high-rise/rent properties though.

I did this a few years ago, you can get transactions done at Wave Place, depending how long they keep you at the embassy ( which shouldn't be long, it seemed like a self declaration ) then you may just time it right, but its going to be tight, find out exactly where you are going in Chaeng Wattana before you set off, I recall it being a pyramid type building on the main road.

When you get to the building at CW there will be hundreds upon hundreds of Thais getting documents verified. I can't remember exactly what happened but we missed the cutoff time. If you push them hard enough there is an unofficial fast track system, tell them you need to pick up the documents by 4.00 PM as you have a flight back to Nakhon Nowhere in the evening. They may pity you.

And this is always a problem when you seek advise on a forum like this. No disrespect recom, but your info is out of date. The legalization is no longer done out at Chaeng Wattana. It is now done at an office on Ratchadaphisek Rd. It is very close to a Metro station, which I think is the Thai Cultural Centre.

Anyway, as I mentioned to the O/P, he will get this info from the Embassy. It's where I got it from.

• Like 1

There is no need to go to to the Chonburi Amphur to get married you can use any Amphur in Thailand. Lak Si Amphur is within a 10 min taxi ride across the road from the MOF where you have to go anyway. They have translators on staff, you must have one, and know the procedure very well. It is quite possible to do the complete process in one day, we did. We also separated the village ceremony and the Amphur registration

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I probably won't spend 20,000 Baht (mentioned elsewhere) on getting the paperwork done though. I have a 4G SIM and I've seen the main sights in Bangkok already. Obviously need to pay for a translation though, so I'll see what's on offer.

There is no need to go to to the Chonburi Amphur to get married you can use any Amphur in Thailand. Lak Si Amphur is within a 10 min taxi ride across the road from the MOF where you have to go anyway. They have translators on staff, you must have one, and know the procedure very well. It is quite possible to do the complete process in one day, we did. We also separated the village ceremony and the Amphur registration

Nice input woodworker, thank you. The totes rely on the foreigner not knowing the procedures. That's how I got caught for 8,000 THB!

O/P, you're lucky, you're getting all this in advance. And I hope that you benefit from it. The affidavit that you get from the Embassy has to be translated and legalized in Bangkok. There's no escaping that.

But from there on you are free to go off and get married wherever you choose. I do believe that you've got this already, but, well I thought I'd mention it just in case!

The best way to avoid getting caught up in 'marriage now' scenario is to not have your betrothed with you. If she does want to be with you, tell them she is your future sister-in-law or some such lie. Don't worry, lying is part of life here.

Take care now and do please give us some feedback sometime in the future that it all went well.

^ 20,000 baht?!

and you can do it very cheaply in Baht but the price is paid in time and frustration - stress. LOL

When I married three years ago, we had only popped into the Embassy to get the affidavit and the translation.

So when the guy offered to get the whole thing done now, like that! whilst we had a nice lunch in a great restaurant....

How could I possible say no? LOL

This surprise wedding was great though and even a little romantic perhaps when compared to the DIY alternative.

Getting in taxis, getting in line, worrying if you are in the right place or not, not knowing how to get things done on the spot.....

It was money well spent as far as I was concerned and I still reflect upon the day with affection.

(I'm afraid to say that we may have jumped a queue or two but it worked well for us)

At CW the fees are small and come back late afternoon or

bigger fees faster turn around, know the right person and huge fees - on the spot.....

Money makes the world go round!

^ 20,000 baht?!

And this is always a problem when you seek advise on a forum like this. No disrespect recom, but your info is out of date. The legalization is no longer done out at Chaeng Wattana. It is now done at an office on Ratchadaphisek Rd. It is very close to a Metro station, which I think is the Thai Cultural Centre.

Anyway, as I mentioned to the O/P, he will get this info from the Embassy. It's where I got it from.

and cos I was lazy and wealthy, I didn't need to worry about knowing the ropes LOL

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

^ 20,000 baht?!

and cos I was lazy and wealthy, I didn't need to worry about knowing the ropes LOL

And it's very easy to sit there at a keyboard and take a sentence here and a sentence there, all out of context and then come up with a sarcastic comment like this. I am neither lazy or wealthy, but I got the measure of the likes of you many years ago!

Try being helpful for a change.

Thanks for this and all the other good advice, I appreciate your concern that it goes well.

I'm just a bit worried about the above though, because I've been going by the marriage guidance document from the British Embassy updated in February 2015 (and the cause of this topic):

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/421426/Publication__Marriage_Guidance_-_Feb_2015.pdf

In there it states:

3. Have the affirmation authenticated and the translation checked - All Thai Registrars will require authentication of the British Consular Official’s signature. This must be obtained from: The Legalisation Division, Department of Consular Affairs Ministry of Foreign Affairs http://www.consular.go.th/ 123 Chaeng Wattana Road, Laksi District, Bangkok 10210 Telephone: +66 (0)2 575 1057– 60, (0)2981 7171

So is this wrong already? I guess so long as I ask for the street address at the consular appointment tomorrow I can get a taxi/Skytrain/MRT ride to wherever I need to be. I've lost trust in Google Maps for this kind of thing, it's shown me a lot of outdated info in Bangkok lately.

Also if I've understood correctly, I don't need to go to the MFA at all if I pay someone else to do this. Personally I'd rather go and keep in control of the situation, but in the event of getting it wrong/missing the closing time, I'll need to "outsource" this task after all.

And presumably someone in possession of the documents can't enact the marriage in any way, they can just try and pressure sell this same day service and try to get us along to the Amphur's office. I'm pretty good at saying no, but especially when forewarned, so I appreciate the heads-up.

Thanks for this and all the other good advice, I appreciate your concern that it goes well.

I'm just a bit worried about the above though, because I've been going by the marriage guidance document from the British Embassy updated in February 2015 (and the cause of this topic):

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/421426/Publication__Marriage_Guidance_-_Feb_2015.pdf

In there it states:

3. Have the affirmation authenticated and the translation checked - All Thai Registrars will require authentication of the British Consular Official’s signature. This must be obtained from: The Legalisation Division, Department of Consular Affairs Ministry of Foreign Affairs http://www.consular.go.th/ 123 Chaeng Wattana Road, Laksi District, Bangkok 10210 Telephone: +66 (0)2 575 1057– 60, (0)2981 7171

So is this wrong already? I guess so long as I ask for the street address at the consular appointment tomorrow I can get a taxi/Skytrain/MRT ride to wherever I need to be. I've lost trust in Google Maps for this kind of thing, it's shown me a lot of outdated info in Bangkok lately.

Also if I've understood correctly, I don't need to go to the MFA at all if I pay someone else to do this. Personally I'd rather go and keep in control of the situation, but in the event of getting it wrong/missing the closing time, I'll need to "outsource" this task after all.

And presumably someone in possession of the documents can't enact the marriage in any way, they can just try and pressure sell this same day service and try to get us along to the Amphur's office. I'm pretty good at saying no, but especially when forewarned, so I appreciate the heads-up.

Sorry fbf, I was out all day yesterday and was unable to answer in time. (I'm not one of those 'always connected' guys)

Hope all went well for you today. Do please let us know. I for one am quite eager to know what the latest 'correct info' is. Although I am rather hoping I won't need it myself smile.png

Funny story to round off. Two Brits (one of them me) turn up at the Embassy to get our affidavits. We each went to separate windows and on completion were each given directions to the M of F. I went of the one I mentioned earlier and started the next phase. He turned up there two hours later having had an expensive and fruitless taxi ride to Chaeng Wattana Road and back. facepalm.gif

This is Thailand. Need I say any more?

No need to be sorry Moonlover. :) Well today didn't pan out as expected, but it's no problem.

The British Embassy was easy enough, a bit of waiting around as expected and a couple of calls to the counter with the paperwork. The first time they checked it briefly - but barely glanced at the address id that I'd been worried about. The second time they asked me to check my document for typos and sign it while standing at the counter.

The process felt a bit rushed and they didn't go out of their way to explain what was happening, but I asked about directions to the MFA. The lady gave me a slip of paper (http://postimg.org/image/nlsfgxg8l/) and suggested I take a taxi. It's at 123 Chaeng Wattana Road.

I think I've put my brain on "low power" mode to cope with the Bangkok heat, because I'm sure I recalled agents "over the road" from the British Embassy and imaged it to be much more busy. We did get met by one agent/tout who obviously wanted us to take the full service, but we just wanted translations. She wasn't overly pushy and for 400 Baht I couldn't be bothered haggling. I did ask to visit their office though, as I'm not comfortable with handing over important documents to someone in the street.

So we were led over the road to the other side of the Skytrain station (Phloen Chit) where there are a number of translation offices. In hindsight I would rather have gone to this area and shopped around, as the agent took us to an office on the 1st floor balcony (2nd floor in Thai terms) and the area didn't look great. But the office was neat enough, I can't remember the full company name but it had "Angel" in it. We left them translating for 30 minutes while we had a coffee in the office building nearby (which wasn't much cheaper than the translation!)

I asked my fiancée to carefully check the translation - they use a pre-translated template for the legal form and fill in the particulars, so hopefully it's ok. We got them to move one paragraph into its correct place and suggested different transliteration of a couple of place names, but no big deal. To be honeset, I don't think anyone there spoke good English, so I just hope the template was good.

The taxi ride to Chaeng Wattana Road is long for someone who's used to not straying too far from the Sukhumvit area and Skytrain lines, and a reminder of just how vast Bangkok is. This place is far outside the Skytrain/metro network, maybe 45 minutes depending on traffic and just how crazy the taxi driver is. Cost 300 Baht (metered) including toll road and tip.

The MFA was nicer than I expected, a big, modern building with efficient AC. I'd feared a chaotic frenzy of confusion but got a busy but fairly quiet place where it was easy to be directed to the right place. There's a coffee shop, which we didn't use because we didn't actually wait around much. Forgetting to photocopy my passport cost us all of 3 minutes and 2 Baht, no big deal there.

Unfortunately we couldn't get same day service. The official completely stonewalled that idea. It was 11.30 and the British Embassy information states a 12pm cut-off for same-day service (and I thought I'd seen signs at the MFA, but not so sure now). I asked for express service, and no, the express service requires arriving at the MFA by 9am (impossible after even an 8am British Embassy appointment, unless you can find a translator who will do it in the taxi!)

I asked if they had a "super express" service, an "even faster" service, but I got a stern "no" in international bureaucrat language.

So have the rules changed, or is it just my complete inexperience in the art of "unofficial" transactions (starting with knowing the right official to ask)? The agent near the British Embassy had offered to come to the MFA on my behalf for 3000 Baht, but didn't offer same day service either (this was around 9.30am). I guess 3000 isn't so bad, but I prefer to be involved in what's going on.

Incidentally, my fiancée overheard the translation lady telling someone they will only do 20 same day appointments per day. Please don't treat this as accurate information, maybe just an indication of the confusion surrounding this service.

In the end we opted for the 460 Baht service and they will send the resulting document to arrive by next Wednesday (4 working days). In our case this only cost us two days, as my fiancée wasn't able to get to the Amphur office with the documents until next Tuesday anyway, and now it will be Thursday. The wedding is at the end of June. Also, with this service, we had almost no waiting around at the MFA, getting called the counter within a couple of minutes.

But for anyone reading this far, I'd say two separate days has the best chance of success. Britsh Embassy on day one, MFA on day two (they open at 7am, so arrive between 7am and 9am). On day two, you'll get the paperwork same day (which I would prefer over waiting in the post). Even if you want to get married quickly, I can't think of many scenarios where an extra day hurts, if known in advance.

If same day service really can be done and is required, you might need to go to the parade of shops next to the Phloen Chit Skytrain and ask around, in case anyone has good "contacts" at the MFA.

Of course, the rules/situation might be different next week, or as you say Moonlover, they might differ at the next counter along...

No need to be sorry Moonlover. smile.png Well today didn't pan out as expected, but it's no problem.
The British Embassy was easy enough, a bit of waiting around as expected and a couple of calls to the counter with the paperwork. The first time they checked it briefly - but barely glanced at the address id that I'd been worried about. The second time they asked me to check my document for typos and sign it while standing at the counter.
The process felt a bit rushed and they didn't go out of their way to explain what was happening, but I asked about directions to the MFA. The lady gave me a slip of paper (http://postimg.org/image/nlsfgxg8l/) and suggested I take a taxi. It's at 123 Chaeng Wattana Road.
I think I've put my brain on "low power" mode to cope with the Bangkok heat, because I'm sure I recalled agents "over the road" from the British Embassy and imaged it to be much more busy. We did get met by one agent/tout who obviously wanted us to take the full service, but we just wanted translations. She wasn't overly pushy and for 400 Baht I couldn't be bothered haggling. I did ask to visit their office though, as I'm not comfortable with handing over important documents to someone in the street.
So we were led over the road to the other side of the Skytrain station (Phloen Chit) where there are a number of translation offices. In hindsight I would rather have gone to this area and shopped around, as the agent took us to an office on the 1st floor balcony (2nd floor in Thai terms) and the area didn't look great. But the office was neat enough, I can't remember the full company name but it had "Angel" in it. We left them translating for 30 minutes while we had a coffee in the office building nearby (which wasn't much cheaper than the translation!)
I asked my fiancée to carefully check the translation - they use a pre-translated template for the legal form and fill in the particulars, so hopefully it's ok. We got them to move one paragraph into its correct place and suggested different transliteration of a couple of place names, but no big deal. To be honeset, I don't think anyone there spoke good English, so I just hope the template was good.
The taxi ride to Chaeng Wattana Road is long for someone who's used to not straying too far from the Sukhumvit area and Skytrain lines, and a reminder of just how vast Bangkok is. This place is far outside the Skytrain/metro network, maybe 45 minutes depending on traffic and just how crazy the taxi driver is. Cost 300 Baht (metered) including toll road and tip.
The MFA was nicer than I expected, a big, modern building with efficient AC. I'd feared a chaotic frenzy of confusion but got a busy but fairly quiet place where it was easy to be directed to the right place. There's a coffee shop, which we didn't use because we didn't actually wait around much. Forgetting to photocopy my passport cost us all of 3 minutes and 2 Baht, no big deal there.
Unfortunately we couldn't get same day service. The official completely stonewalled that idea. It was 11.30 and the British Embassy information states a 12pm cut-off for same-day service (and I thought I'd seen signs at the MFA, but not so sure now). I asked for express service, and no, the express service requires arriving at the MFA by 9am (impossible after even an 8am British Embassy appointment, unless you can find a translator who will do it in the taxi!)
I asked if they had a "super express" service, an "even faster" service, but I got a stern "no" in international bureaucrat language.
So have the rules changed, or is it just my complete inexperience in the art of "unofficial" transactions (starting with knowing the right official to ask)? The agent near the British Embassy had offered to come to the MFA on my behalf for 3000 Baht, but didn't offer same day service either (this was around 9.30am). I guess 3000 isn't so bad, but I prefer to be involved in what's going on.
Incidentally, my fiancée overheard the translation lady telling someone they will only do 20 same day appointments per day. Please don't treat this as accurate information, maybe just an indication of the confusion surrounding this service.
In the end we opted for the 460 Baht service and they will send the resulting document to arrive by next Wednesday (4 working days). In our case this only cost us two days, as my fiancée wasn't able to get to the Amphur office with the documents until next Tuesday anyway, and now it will be Thursday. The wedding is at the end of June. Also, with this service, we had almost no waiting around at the MFA, getting called the counter within a couple of minutes.
But for anyone reading this far, I'd say two separate days has the best chance of success. Britsh Embassy on day one, MFA on day two (they open at 7am, so arrive between 7am and 9am). On day two, you'll get the paperwork same day (which I would prefer over waiting in the post). Even if you want to get married quickly, I can't think of many scenarios where an extra day hurts, if known in advance.
If same day service really can be done and is required, you might need to go to the parade of shops next to the Phloen Chit Skytrain and ask around, in case anyone has good "contacts" at the MFA.
Of course, the rules/situation might be different next week, or as you say Moonlover, they might differ at the next counter along...

Well done that man! Sorry about the confusion regarding the M of F address. I can only assume that the alternative address that I and others were sent to was a temporary arrangement due to refurb' or some such.

Hope the rest of the process goes well and wish you and your fiancée long and happy life together.

ML.

Well done that man! Sorry about the confusion regarding the M of F address. I can only assume that the alternative address that I and others were sent to was a temporary arrangement due to refurb' or some such.

Hope the rest of the process goes well and wish you and your fiancée long and happy life together.

No worries, it did cross my mind that it might have been a temporary address or something. But it's good to check and double check all the info, and get a good sense of what we might expect, so it worked out fine.