Thai Navy camp tackles student gang fights

webfact

Navy Camp Tackles Student Gang Fights
By Khaosod English

14301381241430138388l.jpg
Vocational school students at an 0rientation camp on a Navy base in Chonburi, 27 April 2015.

CHONBURI — More than 400 incoming students at vocational schools in Chonburi province are attending a 3-week orientation camp organized by the Royal Thai Navy to reduce problems of gang rivalry.

The activities are being held on a Navy base in Sattahip district and are jointly overseen by the Vocational Education Commission (VEC), the Royal Thai Navy, and the Royal Thai Marine Corps, said Krittithorn Sukkamol, director of VEC's office in Chonburi.

According to Krittithorn, the 466 students, most of whom are entering the tenth grade, will be staying at the camp from 20 April to 9 May to receive training and lectures from Navy drill sergeants to instill discipline, morality, ethics, and a sense of unity.

Many vocational schools and polytechnic colleges in Thailand are known for long-running rivalries that can lead to gang violence, sometimes resulting in injuries and deaths.

"I am confident that this program can [adjust] their behavior and solve problem of student fights," Krittithorn said today. "Even though we cannot prevent it 100 percent, but after everyone has gone through lessons in the program and training by the Navy drill instructors, they will be disciplined and have restraint."

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1430138124&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-04-28

The military preaching peace? Sounds a little incongruous, to say the least. If the administration is serious about ending the violence, it needs to tease out and tackle the root causes of this destructive and dangerous rivalry.

Knowing some of these kids, I am convinced the apparently mindless anger they direct at one another is frequently related to feelings of low self esteem and frustration at being on the bottom rung of the education ladder, with the low-level qualifications they receive at the end of years of training offering little promise of a decent, well-paid career.

The only good thing which might come out of this Navy lark is if the kids from the various v.c. colleges get their heads together and realise that they are not the enemy, but victims of a cynical and wasteful educational model designed to produce more failures than successes (for reasons, in a greedy and corrupt capitalist society such as that of Thailand,, which needs no explanation).

I feel nothing but sympathy for these youngsters and their situation and, having had two years of National Service in Europe, hold out little hope that military style discipline (i.e. bullying) will change their attitude. It certainly won't change their plight as bottom feeders.

• Like 1

I agree that this program does not solve the root causes of the violence and that it is not long enough to do much good in the way of an attitude adjustment. More is needed and longer attitude education is needed.

"They" gave me two weeks at a marine mini-boot when I was 11 years old. It was not long enough. They should have kept me for about 10 years.

I remember hearing an American educated Thai lady who used to be a director of the IN Channel when it was a news outlet explain that Thai men don't have any ' right of passage ', don't really get taken under the wing of any older male relative(s) so one day the boy is suddenly a man but in name only.

The military preaching peace? Sounds a little incongruous, to say the least. If the administration is serious about ending the violence, it needs to tease out and tackle the root causes of this destructive and dangerous rivalry.

Knowing some of these kids, I am convinced the apparently mindless anger they direct at one another is frequently related to feelings of low self esteem and frustration at being on the bottom rung of the education ladder, with the low-level qualifications they receive at the end of years of training offering little promise of a decent, well-paid career.

The only good thing which might come out of this Navy lark is if the kids from the various v.c. colleges get their heads together and realise that they are not the enemy, but victims of a cynical and wasteful educational model designed to produce more failures than successes (for reasons, in a greedy and corrupt capitalist society such as that of Thailand,, which needs no explanation).

I feel nothing but sympathy for these youngsters and their situation and, having had two years of National Service in Europe, hold out little hope that military style discipline (i.e. bullying) will change their attitude. It certainly won't change their plight as bottom feeders.

I agree with your principles but not so much your rhetoric. However, you're correct in saying that that shouldn't be fighting each other. If they were to unite in a common cause; then they would be a real force to be reckoned with, and could challenge any obstacles put in front of them.

it is very similar to the hitler youth of 1935

That comment is a pretty big stretch of the imagination.... don't you think ?

Definitely, but then again if they changed the uniforms into hitler youth uniforms complete with swastika armbands then it would become chic for all the teenage cretins in Thailand's schools and colleges to volunteer to join up....

Training students by the army? meaning teaching them how to shoot guns and throwing granates?

Yes these kids might want to improve these skills for their next encounters with neighbouring rival student gangs..hahahah

Oh ye of little faith coffee1.gif

Training students by the army? meaning teaching them how to shoot guns and throwing granates?

Yes these kids might want to improve these skills for their next encounters with neighbouring rival student gangs..hahahah

Oh ye of little faith coffee1.gif

With luck if they did it would make their aim more accurate and they would just kill gang members rather that others around

• Like 1

It has been proved that you actually can teach an old dog new tricks.

Only works on dogs though, there is scant evidence that it works on humans, none on sub-humans.

Kids of this age are pretty much a lost cause.

Why not put more effort in to fixing the system that created them?

What get rid of the bar girls ? Shame on you sir.