Banking in Thailand

this is my first post.

hope it's in the right forum.

I was in Thailand several weeks ago.

I wanted to open two bank accounts- one for me alone and a joint account for me and my sweetheart.

I first tried in Ayutthaya.

I went into 2 different banks- Bangkok and Kasikorn, I think.

Both told me they were unable to open accounts and told me to go to the main branches in Silom in Bangkok.
Several weeks later I was in Prasat in Issan and I was able to open both accounts at Kasikorn Bank.

I got ATM cards for both
One small thing I don't quite understand is that I deposited a small amount of 1000 Baht in my personal account and was only credited 500.
Is the other 500 Baht considered a "deposit" for the ATM card or ???

A week later I was in Ko Phangan and I made a deposit in the joint account.
I was dismayed to see that a "commission", even though very small- 30 Baht, if I remember correctly, was taken for making a deposit.

I inquired whether a commission would be charged for every deposit and withdrawal and I believe the answer was affirmative
So next question, is it standard policy of any bank in Thailand to charge a commission for deposits and/or withdrawals?
Or is this is a Kasikorn policy?
Or was I charged this commission because I opened my account in one branch- Prasat, and I was doing a transaction in another branch- in Ko Phangan- Thong Sala, to be exact.

I tried to get answers to these questions while I was in the branches but the language barrier was a bit much

Now next part of question.
I am now back in USA and I can see that Kasikorn is not particularly well suited for international banking.
And there is no web access to accounts.

Seems like Bangkok Bank is the one to go with.
They seem to be best set up for international access.

I will be back in Thailand in June and plan on opening an account at Bangkok Bank, probably go to the main branch in Silom.
I received the following information form Bangkok Bank:

"Dear Customer,

We appreciate your interest in our banking services.

Regarding for your inquiry about opening an account, please be informed you that the details as this follows:

- If you have permanent residency in Thailand. Document required is valid passport or Alien Certificate

or Certificate of Residence and House Registration document.

- If you are working in Thailand and hold a non-immigrant B visa. Document required is valid passport

and valid work permit

- If you hold a tourist visa or non-immigrant visa e.g. ED, EX, F, IB, IM, M, O, O-A, R, RS, D, F, SE, MT, S (except non-immigrant L-A visa)

Documents required:

1.Valid passport, and

2.ONE of the following documents:

• A letter of recommendation from

1. Embassy [Download Form at http://www.bangkokbank.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/Bangkok%20Bank/Personal%20Banking/Foreign%20Customers/Certified_Letter.pdf ],

2. International Organization, Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT message [Download Form at http://www.bangkokbank.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/Bangkok%20Bank/Personal%20Banking/Foreign%20Customers/Reference_Requirements.pdf ],

3. a person acceptable to Bangkok Bank (such as BBL staff, customer, government officer, company executive, private firms), or home country institutions (such as pension receipt) [Download Form at http://www.bangkokbank.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/Bangkok%20Bank/Personal%20Banking/Foreign%20Customers/Letter_of_Reference.pdf ]

• Other documents showing your name such as:

Bank Statement, lease agreement, utility bill, documents showing owners of a fixed asset or Condominium Sale/Purchase Agreement

Open saving account minimum is 500 baht and you can apply for ATM card with 300 baht."

So my next question is, is it really necessary to have one of the other documents in addition to the passport?

I only needed a passport to open the accounts at Kasikorn.

Another question:
Is there any advantage to opening an account at the main branch in Silom rather than any local branch?
My reasoning is that I am more likely to find a fluent english speaking person at the main branch.

My goal with all this is to start the retirement visa process.

Thank you for any input and direction.

I am pretty sure all Thai banks charge you an initial then an annual fee for the ATM card.

Most, if not all, ATM and some counter transactions that you do when not in the PROVINCE where you opened your account will incur a fee.

Bangkok Bank and SCB have similar fees to K-Bank.

I am pretty sure all Thai banks charge you an initial then an annual fee for the ATM card.

Most, if not all, ATM and some counter transactions that you do when not in the PROVINCE where you opened your account will incur a fee.

that's helpful.

Thanks.

So I might want to open my account(s) in the PROVINCE where I'm likely to do MOST of my banking?

In my case, probably Ko Phangan, or whatever province it is in?

I wonder if Bangkok Bank in Ko Phangan will be like Ayutthaya, where they would not open an account for me?

that's helpful.

Thanks.

So I might want to open my account(s) in the PROVINCE where I'm likely to do MOST of my banking?

I wonder if Bangkok Bank in Ko Phangan will be like Ayutthaya, where they would not open an account for me?

1.) Yes 2.) You won't know unless you try. BKK would be my choice due to ease of transferring money online.

that's helpful.

Thanks.

1.) Yes 2.) You won't know unless you try. BKK would be my choice due to ease of transferring money online.

When you say "BKK" are you referring to Bangkok Bank or opening the account in Bangkok?

I have been with Kasikorn Bank (formerly Thai Farmers Bank) for 15 years. I have internet access and have had no problems at all. I pay most of my bills online and even top up my family's phone cards online. You do have to register for internet access, but it's not a problem.

And just to confirm, yes, you do get charged if you access your account from outside of the province that holds it.

There is one bank that doesnt charge for out of province use, TMB (Thai Military Bank)

Kasikorn charge for the card you are issued when opening an account, they also charge for out of Province transactions.

If you activate sms alert so you are told when anything happens on your account, that's a monthly 20 baht fee.

The telephone banking and internet banking is very good and easy to use, as is their virtual card for online shopping available through online banking.

I have been with Kasikorn Bank (formerly Thai Farmers Bank) for 15 years. I have internet access and have had no problems at all. I pay most of my bills online and even top up my family's phone cards online. You do have to register for internet access, but it's not a problem.

And just to confirm, yes, you do get charged if you access your account from outside of the province that holds it.

Can you tell me the web address for Kasikorn internet address?

And are you accessing it from inside or outside Thailand?

I wasn't able to find it.

And I think I even spoke or emailed them and they said they didn't have internet access to accounts.

Thanks

May I suggest that you open the BBL account at the main office in BKK and establish a relationship with this bank. Later go to the province where you wish to do your banking and visit a BBL branch there and you will find an easier time opening another account with BBL as they will see you already are a bank customer. This may make life simpler for you.

I have also noticed over the years that having an account at one bank enables you to get accounts at the competition easier.

Branch banking here in LOS is not really the same as places like the USA. Here they have many fees related to doing transactions outside of the province you have the account both using ATMs and online banking.

May I suggest that you open the BBL account at the main office in BKK and establish a relationship with this bank. Later go to the province where you wish to do your banking and visit a BBL branch there and you will find an easier time opening another account with BBL as they will see you already are a bank customer. This may make life simpler for you.

I have also noticed over the years that having an account at one bank enables you to get accounts at the competition easier.

Branch banking here in LOS is not really the same as places like the USA. Here they have many fees related to doing transactions outside of the province you have the account both using ATMs and online banking.

Thank you.

By BBL I assume you mean Bangkok Bank?

Thank you.

By BBL I assume you mean Bangkok Bank?

BBL is the SET (Stock Exchange of Thailand) ticker symbol for Bangkok Bank.

www.kasikornbank.com

I've been to the main Kasikorn website.

I don't find where I have web access to my account

www.kasikornbank.com

On the right hand side of the website...see partial snapshot below. But unless you were granted ibanking access (i.e., issued ibanking User ID and Password) it won't do you any good in trying to log onto your bank account. You first must apply for the ibanking access with K-bank. Hopefully others who have Kbank ibanking can tell you how.

post-55970-0-72254900-1430486849_thumb.j

www.kasikornbank.com

On the right hand side of the website...see partial snapshot below. But unless you were granted ibanking access (i.e., issued ibanking User ID and Password) it won't do you any good in trying to log onto your bank account. You first must apply for the ibanking access with K-bank. Hopefully others who have Kbank ibanking can tell you how.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Thanks.

I have contacted K-Bank about this