A dilemma

watgate

I recently rode a Bicycle for 3 weeks

I was amazed at how many motorists were so acommadating

They let me get from the right side of the road to the left

It is just a % if you get knocked of a bicycle

I will buy one when i come to live i Chiang Mai

Song thaews and tuk-tuks. You can develop a relationship with a tuk-tuk driver or two and really not have to give up your "independence". Admittedly it's more expensive than riding a bicycle, but safer, especially if your tuk-tuk driver has one of those new red tuk-tuks with the longer wheelbase. They seem more stable.

I wasn't aware their was a problem with stability in them.

Once a long time ago if it did happen is not a problem.

As for riding a bike or a motorbike. It seems to me no matter how good you are you have to be alert to the people around you. No amount of training in how to ride will teach you that.

As a rider almost anywhere, in order to stay safe you have to consider every, EVERY other road user as an idiot. Yes that muppet will pull out in front of you, no... just because he is indicating does not mean he is going to turn, expect everyone to suddenly brake, red lights mean nothing here, driving while texting, speaking on the phone is more important to that driver than your safety. Always expect the unexpected.

Op: If independence and safety are your key deciding factors (and cost isn't) - Get a small car to run around town.

You can't get knocked off a car ! Weather doesn't impact you, shopping is easier, you can travel further more comfortably... But, parking becomes a pain in the backside. Driving is easy in Thailand, just take it easy...

Many people have seen way too many accidents here. There are no guarantees that you'll be 100% safe in a car, you can't avoid all risk.

You can avoid most of the risk by not riding a motorcycle or a pushbike.

It really is a shame that in a country so beautiful the value placed on life is so limited, apparent carelessness so abundant, accountability - absent.

The crash was terrible news. Mr K has been out with them a few times for a Sunday morning bike ride. 3 families changed forever by a drunk teenager - I hope justice will be served and he gets a custodial sentence.

She, 24.......custodial sentence until she rots!!

"Approx 40% of the veg, fruit and meat sold thai markets(where the restaurants buy their food) is hazardous to health. Cancer causing chemicals banned in the western world contaminate the produce. "

Where do you get this drivel? Twaddle talk for the fearful and ignorant. Show me some hard data which supports such notions.

Which chemicals are you talking about? What do you mean by 'hazardous'? Yeah, i can choke on a fish bone, but is fish eating hazardous to my health?

CNXBKKMAN seems to be right: http://www.srf.ch/play/tv/kassensturz/video/alarmierender-test-multiresistente-keime-auf-importgemuese?id=7fccd0f7-72ed-48d3-9ca3-98fa93f37b37 (Unfortunately in German language)

Tragic. Can't add much more but I cycle, have seen this in my own home area due to drink driver, but I will still cycle.

Today I walked across a line of stopped cars on Nimmanhemin, no cars other side. I looked wrong way compulsively and reeled back in shock. Extreme Speeding black SUV down wrong side of street trying to cheat his way up to the right turn on Huay Kaew. You can never be to careful and death always stalks you from inches away. Especially here.

Tragic. Can't add much more but I cycle, have seen this in my own home area due to drink driver, but I will still cycle.

Today I walked across a line of stopped cars on Nimmanhemin, no cars other side. I looked wrong way compulsively and reeled back in shock. Extreme Speeding black SUV down wrong side of street trying to cheat his way up to the right turn on Huay Kaew. You can never be to careful and death always stalks you from inches away. Especially here.

There are no one way streets in Thailand and there are no driving lanes. Never assume there are.

Cold hard facts collected in Australia.

Fatalities per billion km: MC = 25.38 / B = 4.24 / C=1.05 / P = 16.12

Fatalities per million passenger hours: MC = 8.84 / B= 0.42 / C =0.37 / P= 0.68

You may argue that numbers don't apply to you however for the purpose of a general argument, it's quite obvious motorbikes carry a greater risk. Making a mistake at 100km/hr on a 200+kg beast will be far more costly than at 30km/hr on a 10kg machine.

On a personal note, I ride both and the only way, I feel I would die on a bike is to be mowed from behind by a crazy driver. I could think of far many more ways I could die on a motorbike.

Edited by GBHK

Fatalities per billion km: MC = 25.38 / B = 4.24 / C=1.05 / P = 16.12

You may argue that numbers don't apply to you however for the purpose of a general argument, it's quite obvious motorbikes carry a greater risk. Making a mistake at 100km/hr on a 200+kg beast will be far more costly than at 30km/hr on a 10kg machine.

On a personal note, I ride both and the only way, I feel I would die on a bike is to be mowed from behind by a crazy driver. I could think of far many more ways I could die on a motorbike.

I am not arguing your Australian figures. Just stating HERE your safer on a motorbike as on a bike.

Just like you said.. on a bike you die because your mowed down from behind. That is why on a motorbike i stay with the speed of traffic. Also.. try to do a U turn here on a bike on a busy road.

You just cant use your Australian figures here the traffic situation is so different.

Also.. i think your overstating the weight of a motorbike.. most of the scooters are around a 100 kg and seldom go 100 km hour. Are you sure your not mixing things in OZ up with Thai stats /

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_wave_125_2013.php

Edited by robblok

Unfortunately that "holy... " moment is all to common here. One fills ones pants, shakes the head in disbelief and the perpetrator doesn't bad an eyelid.

Unfortunately that "holy... " moment is all to common here. One fills ones pants, shakes the head in disbelief and the perpetrator doesn't bad an eyelid.

That's because they haven't seen you, silly.

Fatalities per billion km: MC = 25.38 / B = 4.24 / C=[/size]1.05 / P = 16.12[/size]

I am not arguing your Australian figures. Just stating HERE your safer on a motorbike as on a bike.

Just like you said.. on a bike you die because your mowed down from behind. That is why on a motorbike i stay with the speed of traffic. Also.. try to do a U turn here on a bike on a busy road.

You just cant use your Australian figures here the traffic situation is so different.

Also.. i think your overstating the weight of a motorbike.. most of the scooters are around a 100 kg and seldom go 100 km hour. Are you sure your not mixing things in OZ up with Thai stats /

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_wave_125_2013.php

Sure a scooter weighs a lot less than 200kg and usually goes slightly less than 100km/hr and a full Harley a lot more than 200kg and way faster than 100km/hr. I went down the middle. There's no way that Thailand will have those kind of statistics however I am 100% sure that they would be similar or worse than the ones in Australia. As I said, it's often safer to ride bikes in Thailand because there's a nice shoulder which isn't the case in countries like Australia, I was just in the Balkans recently and most roads were barely wide enough for two cars let alone having a bike there. As to your u turn example, most people would avoid doing those kinds of moves on a bicycle or would be very careful doing them. I certainly see no difference in doing those turns on a road like Huay Kaew rd, as a matter of fact, it's easier on a bicycle. You can turn, start and brake a lot quicker on a bicycle than a motorbike. I grant you that if you're going to ride in the middl of the road on the highway, it's safer on a motorcycle. That's about it...

"Up to you" if you want to ride a bike/cycle in Thailand/CM - but not recommended by me. Personally I have ridden both for over 40 years but will never do it here in CM and very very carefully in rest of Thailand. Up to you - but you asked for advice and so here is mine to help you make up yours:

Some stats for you to consider. http://www.richardbarrow.com/2015/01/full-road-accident-statistics-for-new-year-2014-2015-in-thailand/

Once you have read them you will see that bikes/cycles make up 80% of all accidents/fatalities in Thailand - and Chiang Mai is always one of the worst places. Then add to those 'official' figures the reality of driving in Chaing Mai - it is extremely dangerous outside the Old City - and very dangerous inside it. There are other posts on TV about riding a bike/cycle in Chiang Mai - check them out too.

In response to the stats from Aus, I can verify those numbers are about right, but they differ in CM/Thailand in their context. In Aus most bike accidents are single vehicle, but in CM/Thailand most bike and cycle accidents that cause death/serious injury (reported) are collisions with other vehicles.

AND - check out these stories about people riding their bikes around the world (not novices) and killed in Thailand.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/british-couple-killed-round-the-world-bike-trek-article-1.1267008

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2015/02/around-the-world-cyclist-killed-in-thailand/

UP TO YOU smile.png

I just skimmed those stats over 7 deadly days New Year period and the 80% figure is for motorcycles. The bicycle figure which i couldnt see in there must be very small. Thailand is a dangerous place for all vehicles on the road but New Year and Songkran is the most dangerous by far. The rest of the year isnt as dangerous.

I still cycle around the city to the shops and on errands. Traffic is quite slow in the city and i dont feel any big danger. When i go on a longer ride out of the city i avoid the main roads as much as possible. I cycle down tracks, dirt roads, small rural lanes wherever possible and its very pleasant.

This photo is in an area between the 700 Year Sports Stadium and Huay Tung Tau. Not far from the city centre. If you study google maps and get to know the small soi's you can minimise riding on busy roads like the canal road to 500m of your total journey. Doesn't work for every destination but there are plenty on pleasant places to cycle to with minimal or no riding on super highway type roads.

post-113867-0-60073600-1430831169_thumb.