Thailand-Australia Foreign Ministers hold talks, launch New Colombo Plan

webfact

Thailand-Australia Foreign Ministers hold talks, launch New Colombo Plan

BANGKOK, 8th May 2014 (NNT) – The Foreign Ministers of Thailand and Australia have held talks prior to the launch today in Bangkok of the New Colombo Plan to strengthen the trading and interpersonal relationship of the two countries, said an MFA official.

According to the Director-General of the Department of Information Sek Wannamethee, The Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs Gen Tanasak Patimapragorn has welcomed and held discussions with the Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop on her official visit to Thailand as the guest of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The discussion is reported to have covered social, economic, and public policies, as well as the relationship between Thailand and Australia.

The two Foreign Ministers will this afternoon be presiding over the launch ceremony of the New Colombo Plan project that sends Australian undergraduate students to countries in the Asia-Pacific and Indian ocean regions for tertiary study, development of international friendships, and enhancement of the good relationship between neighboring countries.

The project was re-introduced in 2014, with Thailand as a member state of the New Colombo Plan that has been extended to involve more countries. It is expected that the plan will strengthen the long standing relationship between Australia and other Indo-Pacific countries.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-05-08 footer_n.gif

So much for Australia sitting on their high horse: "We don't allow members of the junta to enter Australia"

But to send their FM here to discuss with the generals are considered okay??

As per usual, money talks and BS walks........................coffee1.gif

It is money that counts for the Abbott Government. They do not care about ethics and morals. Otherwise they would not be locking up kids on Manus Island and Nauru. Abbott is also sending political refugees to Cambodia which is led by an ex Kmer Rouge dictator.

Maybe that is why he is cuddling up with Thailand considering its attitude to asylum seekers vis-à-vis the atrocities being revealed in Songkhla right now.

So much for Australia sitting on their high horse: "We don't allow members of the junta to enter Australia"

..........................."Gen Tanasak Patimapragorn has welcomed and held discussions with the Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop on her official visit to Thailand as the guest of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs."...............................?????????????????

You beat me to it JOC. Some posters love to tell us how "on the nose" the Junta is in Australias' eyes yet they send the FM Julie Bishop to discuss trade deals among other things.

Can't wait to see how they explain the sudden change of heart. whistling.gif

..........................."Gen Tanasak Patimapragorn has welcomed and held discussions with the Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop on her official visit to Thailand as the guest of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs."...............................?????????????????

You beat me to it JOC. Some posters love to tell us how "on the nose" the Junta is in Australias' eyes yet they send the FM Julie Bishop to discuss trade deals among other things.

Can't wait to see how they explain the sudden change of heart. whistling.gif

Ask Chooka...

Trentham, arrive in Australia with no passport by boat & expect to be locked up, you put your child on that boat at your peril. Australia now has clinics for diseases that were eradicated. Arrive in Australia as a genuine refugee & not economic refugee you wouldn't care if you were on Manus island, if you weren't being bombed or murdered, you were safe, you'd be eternally grateful. Not complaining about everything & wanting the host country to change to suit you.

The Australian government is in for the money. I had to laugh when they executed the 2 Australians in Indonesia and the firm message that PM send to Indonesia.

After the bodies was shipped back to Australia business is normal but the only factor was that the Indonesians said Australia can stick their aid in their ass.

Don't know really what to say about Australia but they don't fit in any region.

Trentham, arrive in Australia with no passport by boat & expect to be locked up, you put your child on that boat at your peril. Australia now has clinics for diseases that were eradicated. Arrive in Australia as a genuine refugee & not economic refugee you wouldn't care if you were on Manus island, if you weren't being bombed or murdered, you were safe, you'd be eternally grateful. Not complaining about everything & wanting the host country to change to suit you.

I was referring to the kids being locked up which is causing enormous psychological damage to them.

It seems you are just another heartless Liberal voter trying to make lame excuses for their breaking of international law and locking kids away.

As for this - Australia now has clinics for diseases that were eradicated. - bit of nonsense, it just reveals your true racism.

I was referring to the kids being locked up which is causing enormous psychological damage to them.

It seems you are just another heartless Liberal voter trying to make lame excuses for their breaking of international law and locking kids away.

As for this - Australia now has clinics for diseases that were eradicated. - bit of nonsense, it just reveals your true racism.

So what is the alternative?

BTW never voted Liberal in my life.

The Australian government is in for the money. I had to laugh when they executed the 2 Australians in Indonesia and the firm message that PM send to Indonesia.

After the bodies was shipped back to Australia business is normal but the only factor was that the Indonesians said Australia can stick their aid in their ass.

I agree with your first 2 sentences except that I never laughed during that sad period. What sickened me was the Indonesian ambassador offering his condolences to the families the very next day after killing those 2 guys.

As for where we fit, well we allow the world to fit in here. See the following http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-24/study-reveals-refugees-boosting-nhill-economy/6417620 . Melbourne is the second largest Greek city in the world but even so we have more Italians than Greeks. Oz is a highly successful multicultural country where it really works.

Most people love and accept all the countless nationalities that go there to live. It is mostly the press beating up stories [half of it owned by right wing Rupert Murdoch] and a right wing Liberal [only in name] government which is stirring up hatred against Muslims to try to stay in power.

Julie Bishop, the foreign minister who is doing a deal with Thailand is a part of that government. As an Aussie I am embarrassed and ashamed of of that.

But don't give up on us. Most Aussies are laid back, easy going people who accept others from all over the world. After all, 25% of us were born in another country and most of the rest of us have foreign parents or grandparents from somewhere else. I am in fact a "First Fleeter".

The only true Australians are the aboriginal people and I acknowledge that although I am white, I was born and raised on the land of the Dja Dja Wurrung people

So what is the alternative?

BTW never voted Liberal in my life.

I don't know what the alternative is but we should not lock up little kids. Europe is also struggling with this question. Just look at the recent tragedies there. We should also not send any of them, adult or child, to Cambodia which is run by that monster dictator, Hun Sen.

Did you know that Australia paid, I think $40,000,000 to Cambodia to make that deal? With the corruption in that country you can just imagine whose pockets it ended up in.

AND does not that payment make Australia a party in the human trafficking business?????????

I used to vote for Menzies and Fraser. But I would spit on Abbott. There were some good labor men as well.

Thais putting spin on it.

The ban on all junta from even visiting Australia remains.

So that isn't exactly recognition .

Trade is about money.

Thailand is like someone desperate to make friends .

It's signing anything.

Australia is taking advantage of it locking in deals and giving them some face.

I will bring it up domestically here and get journalists to ask the The tough questions ...hit social media .

She ( our minister) was in the region at the time .

Locking in trade is one thing .

Australia tends to follow US leads and is two faced.

We sold Chinese iron ore at inflated prices for ten years and ignore human rights.

So here we simply ban them then take what we can off them.

While they pander and print a few by lines that make the relationship look more than what it is.

"Like the awkward boyfriend at the Prom pointing to some far off girl getting punch saying she's with me"

But the girl denies it and stays clear

Thailand is desperate to pretend its glaring isolation isn't so.

Edited by Plutojames88

I would be impressed if our FM could obtain reciprocal rights for Australians living in Thailand eg land ownership business ownership but she is only here for big business as usual our Government do not represent the people just their campaign contributors.

I agree with your first 2 sentences except that I never laughed during that sad period. What sickened me was the Indonesian ambassador offering his condolences to the families the very next day after killing those 2 guys.

As for where we fit, well we allow the world to fit in here. See the following http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-24/study-reveals-refugees-boosting-nhill-economy/6417620 . Melbourne is the second largest Greek city in the world but even so we have more Italians than Greeks. Oz is a highly successful multicultural country where it really works.

Most people love and accept all the countless nationalities that go there to live. It is mostly the press beating up stories [half of it owned by right wing Rupert Murdoch] and a right wing Liberal [only in name] government which is stirring up hatred against Muslims to try to stay in power.

Julie Bishop, the foreign minister who is doing a deal with Thailand is a part of that government. As an Aussie I am embarrassed and ashamed of of that.

But don't give up on us. Most Aussies are laid back, easy going people who accept others from all over the world. After all, 25% of us were born in another country and most of the rest of us have foreign parents or grandparents from somewhere else. I am in fact a "First Fleeter".

The only true Australians are the aboriginal people and I acknowledge that although I am white, I was born and raised on the land of the Dja Dja Wurrung people

Hi Trentham,

I agree with your overall assessment re the Australian governments welcoming of countless nationalities, I'm also a 'First Fleeter' but what really irks me is the Liberals total disregard for so many Australians who are currently, (or not far in the distant future) not qualifying for the aged pension due to residing in 'non reciprocal countries' for 2 years prior or 2 years after applying for the said pension.

Both myself & my partner have lived most of our lives as working Australians, paying a large percentage of our yearly income & all the other taxes & fees associated in what we thought was the 'Lucky Country' to make a living & then deciding Thailand was a good place to retire to.

Meanwhile, the above multinationals flood into Australia & after a qualifying period may then qualify for various pensions, the Aged Pension being one of them.... But being a born & bred Aussie (who doesn't live there) one is treated like a 2nd class citizen.... That Really sucks !!!!!!!!!!!!!

CANDA.

I get the feeling that most posts on this site are from whiners central. Whiners only do a disservice for all farangs living in Thailand. If you must complain all the time then go home and do it. Farangs are guests in Thailand, so show some respect, and stop complaining. Grumpies only see things from a judgemental conditioned attitude, then use sarcasm to belittle their host. Thailand doesn't need your negative disrespectful energy. Grow up, and be kind to your hosts or go home where you fit in.

Peace, Love, Kindness.

wai2.gif

Typical pollies especially the ones from the Lying Nasty Party.

What about driving people crazy,especially kids.It is not just being bombed and murdered that makes refugees.

I get the feeling that most posts on this site are from whiners central. Whiners only do a disservice for all farangs living in Thailand. If you must complain all the time then go home and do it. Farangs are guests in Thailand, so show some respect, and stop complaining. Grumpies only see things from a judgemental conditioned attitude, then use sarcasm to belittle their host. Thailand doesn't need your negative disrespectful energy. Grow up, and be kind to your hosts or go home where you fit in.

Peace, Love, Kindness.

wai2.gif

I think you are in the wrong thread mate.

Keep buying our goods... Who gives a sh!t if you get your democracy in order... Thanks Miss Ozzie we hear you loud and clear.

News next week...see everyone countries like North Korea, china, russia and Australia understand thainess why cant you?

Sent from my c64

Edited by wow64

Oz is a highly successful multicultural country where it really works.

Totally disagree

We used to be a multinational country with one culture that people aspired to be part of and embraced

Multiculturalism has destroyed that thanks to Keating and Australia is rapidly becoming a second world country economically and socially.

Oz is a highly successful multicultural country where it really works.

Totally disagree

We used to be a multinational country with one culture that people aspired to be part of and embraced

Multiculturalism has destroyed that thanks to Keating and Australia is rapidly becoming a second world country economically and socially.

You poor thing. They don't let you out much do they.