Thailand urged to be ready for UK's exit from EU

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Britain is in the European common market, not Europe per se. It uses Sterling not Euros as currency. Ireland, part of UK is more closely tied. Pulling out of the common market will not cause a tailspin for other nations. It likely will have little or no positive effect for the Britain.

Nationalist pandering and fear mongering for election gains is not the same as abrupt unilateral action, as imagined by pundits trying to stay relevant.

This shows the Thai governments commenter is sadly under informed, or the translator inept.

Edited by animatic

A Referendum is a vote required when an entire electorate is asked to vote on a 'proposal'.....or it certainly would be in this case. This does not actually mean that any change would take place even if the majority voted for whatever the proposal was.

Politicians are masters of the hall of mirrors and all other deceptive methods. Just because Cameron said a Referendum will happen in 2017 it doesn't mean that ' The People' will 'decide' and get what they want, it just means that the results will be taken into consideration as matters move on.

My gut instinct is that there is no way British Politicians and the top businessmen want out; it is all just being used to broker a better deal for the UK within the EU.

KAREN BRAVO do you know about people working on what is called zero hours, just hired as and when needed with no job security, do you know what the bane of modern uk is, well i will tell you, its called JOB AGENCIES, we have employed agency workers in the past (not my company) 1 guy shows up works realy hard, next day a different guy shows up, laziest waster ever. who is the brainy one ? yes its the lazy guy as he knows there is no job for him and he will be working for someone else tomorrow

They said that though the UK's departure from euro zone would have no direct impact on Thailand

UK is now in the Euro zone? facepalm.gif

... and Thailand is outside the global market?

"The possible exit would create an uncertainty in the global market, but it should not affect Thailand's fundamentals," he said.

Say no more! The Nation written by NottheNation writers or what? gigglem.gif

Edited by Morakot

That island is not really a part of Europe anyway. Begone.

Shame then that these "islanders" gave so many lives in two devastating world wars that you might be free to say such things.

Without us and our American "cousins" you'd be speaking German or maybe Russian, depending where you come from. Or even French - 200 years since Napoleon got his arse kicked.

The EU was intended as a common market. That's what I voted on in 1975. It now wants to rule the sovereign nations, impose more and more layers of unnecessary red tape and create more and more jobs for the boys and girls, their spouses and cronies.

Germany wants to dominate and feels it has the right to dictate to the other Eurozone members, France is bankrupt and directionless but keeps rattling its rusty saber, and there are still massive differences in attitudes, productivity and adherence to rules between the North and South. More and more countries see it as a club where they can leach of wealthier neighbors.

Would you prefer an "old" Europe of Spain, France, Germany and Austo-Hungry perhaps?

Strange ? UK want to leave, Greece want to stay.

Can you see whats happening, Chancellor Merkel

once made a speech where she said '' multiculturalism

doesn't work '' it was quickly hushed up and swept

under the carpet, the reality is that many thousands

of immigrants are flooding into the UK without visas

and the UK need to keep many out, you watch.

Britain is in the European common market, not Europe per se. It uses Sterling not Euros as currency. Ireland, part of UK is more closely tied. Pulling out of the common market will not cause a tailspin for other nations. It likely will have little or no positive effect for the Britain.

Nationalist pandering and fear mongering for election gains is not the same as abrupt unilateral action, as imagined by pundits trying to stay relevant.

This shows the Thai governments commenter is sadly under informed, or the translator inept.

Talking of being under informed, did you miss the bit, just after WW1 where Ireland gained its independence and became the republic of Ireland, Eire? Northern Ireland is part of the UK and would remain or leave the EU accordingly. Eire is an independent country.

KAREN BRAVO do you know about people working on what is called zero hours, just hired as and when needed with no job security, do you know what the bane of modern uk is, well i will tell you, its called JOB AGENCIES, we have employed agency workers in the past (not my company) 1 guy shows up works realy hard, next day a different guy shows up, laziest waster ever. who is the brainy one ? yes its the lazy guy as he knows there is no job for him and he will be working for someone else tomorrow

And just what percentage of jobs created are filled by agencies? Tiny!

You don't like it, you can go live in France, Italy, or Spain. Or, any of the other EU countries.

It ain't no accident that the UK has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the EU.

Edited by KarenBravo

It would be the best thin the UK could do or have done.

please go !!

why you are still here after so many years - decades ?

Make a referendum if Europe wantsUk to be in the EU !!

Do you know forecasts for such an referendum ??

We do !!

If a traffic light is red,

a Brit always will say its green !! at least it will get after some time , so he is always right !!

The British are past masters of pulling off diplomatic offensives. They well know that Brussels will have to yield some ground over the EU budget with a lowering of the cost of Britain's membership. Britain will probably also get some support from its non EU Partners who will be having worries over European security. Few at the upper reaches wants Britain out of the European Union and even the Public at large would not desire it if the implications were really spelt out. That's what Cameron's charm offensive will be about.

I agree. There will certainly be an 'in/out' referendum, as the 'promise' as part of winning the election, is too much engrained on the public's mind. It would be electoral suicide for 2020 to not have the referendum in 2017.

There will be 'concessions' as you say and Cameron will be portrayed as the 'ace' negotiator, with the recommendation to remain a member. Such is the complexity of the economics and the structure of the EU it will be interesting as to how the question will be phrased.

Certainly, Scotland will be urged to vote to stay, as they would be in a no lose situation. If the rest of the UK votes to leave, this triggers the next referendum on independence.

I follow UK politics' quite closely, but the complexities of Europe mystify me at times. We will certainly have to be well informed by both sides before voting, but I suspect, with some of the press, it might degenerate into the 'can you eat a bacon sandwich' approach.

I'm no business man. but I can understand the feeling off uncertainty that many, big or small, will now surround this issue for the next two years.

Regarding the OP, I would think it might take one or two years to totally 'decouple' the UK from Europe, so I think the advice is a bit premature.

hugh2121, on 09 May 2015 - 11:06, said:

Did I miss something?

They said that though the UK's departure from euro zone would have no direct impact on Thailand, the Thai government should still prepare for changes in trade regulations and uncertainties

When did UK become a member of the euro zone?

Indeed the UK is a member if the European Union but NOT a member of the Eurozone : nevertheless this what "experts" say according to press article....Who are those experts?

This is a little premature considering 99% of British business hasn't planned on leaving yet

It's not up to British business. If the referendum goes ahead, it will be the people that decide.......

So what exactly should Thailand prepare for? Considering as I said, 99%of British business has no contingency plan for such an event. And to those who think it isn't possible, it's very possible.

That island is not really a part of Europe anyway. Begone.

Shame then that these "islanders" gave so many lives in two devastating world wars that you might be free to say such things.

Without us and our American "cousins" you'd be speaking German or maybe Russian, depending where you come from. Or even French - 200 years since Napoleon got his arse kicked.

The EU was intended as a common market. That's what I voted on in 1975. It now wants to rule the sovereign nations, impose more and more layers of unnecessary red tape and create more and more jobs for the boys and girls, their spouses and cronies.

Germany wants to dominate and feels it has the right to dictate to the other Eurozone members, France is bankrupt and directionless but keeps rattling its rusty saber, and there are still massive differences in attitudes, productivity and adherence to rules between the North and South. More and more countries see it as a club where they can leach of wealthier neighbors.

Would you prefer an "old" Europe of Spain, France, Germany and Austo-Hungry perhaps?

This is the first post of yours I've ever agreed with. It's amazing really in the face of what you've written that you're pro-junta. Anyway, well said lad!

Edited by jesimps

Seeing as most of us voted for parties that want the UK to stay in the EU I suspect that would be reflected in a referendum. It's only the Tory right & UKIP that want us out & the fact that Farage couldn't even win his own constituency in a part of the country that is home to the most Euroseptic Voters says a lot.

"They said that though the UK's departure from euro zone"

The UK has never been part of the Eurozone, that refers to countries that adopted the € as their currency Britain has kept the £

This is a little premature considering 99% of British business hasn't planned on leaving yet

It's not up to British business. If the referendum goes ahead, it will be the people that decide.......

...talk about the blind leading the blind.

My post isn't an opinion. It's a fact.

no correct facts though.....read up on the truth sir

EU was an agency to shift money from the have-not's to the have's rright from the beginning. It started with agricultural protectionism in 1957, prices for food exploded. All this idle talk behind ("German-French friendship") was pseudo-religious stuff just to hide away one thing: that EU was right from the beginning designed to be a money making machine for the rich.

In Germany, no government ever dared a referendum about the Euro. They know why. But Germans are certainly not the people to resist any authorities.

No revolution, no emancipation.

...talk about the blind leading the blind.

My post isn't an opinion. It's a fact.

no correct facts though.....read up on the truth sir

So you think businesses will be voting in the referendum and not individuals?

It's a very simple point I'm making.

In fact you got the point by giving me a like to the first of my posts in this nest.

Are you schizophrenic?

Edited by KarenBravo

Polls continually show that the majority of Britons want to be part of the EU.

Except when they don't.

"British people would vote to leave the European Union by a large margin under the current terms of membership, according to a new Opinium/Observer poll.

Opinium found a total of 48% would definitely or probably vote to leave under present rules, while 37% said they would definitely or probably vote to stay in."

That's from June last year.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jun/21/eu-referendum-majority-leave-opinium-observer-poll

The Voting-system in UK is a joke ... UKIP got 1 seat despite getting about 13% of the votes. Labour was slaughtered and good for thatclap2.gif

The voting system has always been a joke, but people, like the UKIP voters who are now so unhappy, have gone along with it because it didn't really negatively affect them. Shame it isn't until people get personally affected by something that they kick up a fuss about it.